Ray 2 disc R2

Non-Asian Film & Release Discussion, and Serious Film-Related Discussion
User avatar
grim_tales
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 22164
Joined: 25 Oct 2004, 17:34
Location: St. Albans, UK

Ray 2 disc R2

Post by grim_tales »

Is the same as the R1? Never seen this but its supposed to be excellent. Brad what did you think of it? You have the LE right?

http://www.play.com/play247.asp?pa=hpo& ... tle=633237

I think I prefer the black and white cover on the R1 though...
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 24430
Joined: 27 Oct 2004, 19:30

Post by bradavon »

R1 LE or Standard?

I ask as it's better than the R1 standard having most of the extras from the R1 LE, so more than the R1 standard. The R1 LE is OOP.

I'm keeping an eye on the R3 up at CD WOW which looks to have all the R1 LE's extras but at over half the price. I have the R1 LE but if the R3 turns out to be as good as it's looking (+ no crappy UK R2 cover art) to be I'll sell it and buy the R3.

I should be able to get my money back for the R1 LE it cost me enough.
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 24430
Joined: 27 Oct 2004, 19:30

Post by bradavon »

As for the film it's excellent. We can discuss it over MSN if you like in more detail. Great film. I recommend it.
User avatar
grim_tales
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 22164
Joined: 25 Oct 2004, 17:34
Location: St. Albans, UK

Post by grim_tales »

I thought the cover on both R1 Standard and LE were the same?
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 24430
Joined: 27 Oct 2004, 19:30

Post by bradavon »

Nope. The LE is a black and white cover almost Criterion like. The R1 standard has blue all over it.

Both are lovely.
User avatar
grim_tales
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 22164
Joined: 25 Oct 2004, 17:34
Location: St. Albans, UK

Post by grim_tales »

You're right Brad the r3 is very cheap - £7.99 with vouchers and looks to be the same as the r1.

http://www2.cd-wow.com/detail_results_2 ... code=17575

The R1 standard only has the cinema version.
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 24430
Joined: 27 Oct 2004, 19:30

Post by bradavon »

I've e-mailed CD WOW asking for confirmation on the extras and cover art.

They said they don't know yet but added it's the same as the R1 (so they do know???) but didn't say which R1. I've replied to the e-mail. I hope the R3 is as good as that way I can sell my R1 LE. The price hike in hindsight wasn't worth it.
grim_tales wrote:The R1 standard only has the cinema version.
Nope it has both cuts. There is a review on DVD Times.

This is one of those X-Men style branching discs though with non-anamorphic deleted scenes chucked back in. I'll watch the deleted scenes separately.

Discs 1 and 2 of the R1 LE are the same as the R1 Standard (except on the LE it's a dual sided DVD instead). Disc 2 on the LE has the following extra extras, which appear to be on the UK R2 * and R3:

Over 20-minutes of additional never-before-seen complete uncut music performances from the film
The Filmmakers' Journey: Producer Stuart Benjamin and Award-winning director Taylor Hackford reveal their 15-year journey to chronicles the life of the legendary Ray Charles
The Women of Ray
Ray: An American Story
Special Packaging and collectible photo book

* Except for:

The Women of Ray
Last edited by bradavon on 13 May 2005, 12:31, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
grim_tales
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 22164
Joined: 25 Oct 2004, 17:34
Location: St. Albans, UK

Post by grim_tales »

Oh right. I thought it only had 1 cut because it only mentioned 153 mins. The R3 says 175 mins.

The r3 cover would look even better without the "One of the best films I've ever seen" quote on it.