DVD Profiler 3.0.2 - New official release!

Consoles, Computers, iPads, and More
HD Discussion Elsewhere
User avatar
thelostdragon
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 7059
Joined: 29 Oct 2004, 22:36
Location: Basin City

DVD Profiler 3.0.2 - New official release!

Post by thelostdragon »

Wow! After a few weeks of no profile updates on DVD Profiler, I went to their website to look what's wrong. Well, 3.0 was released and they're already on 3.2.

EDIT: By Bradavon: Correction it's 3.0.2 not 3.2, and 3.03 Beta if you're a registered user.

Release Notes:
http://www.invelos.com/dvdpro/ReleaseNotes.aspx

Just downloaded it and installed it. If you already have a paid registration, you just need to update the key. The new interface looks so awesome and the new features are really good as well.

Heck, now I have to figure out if DVD Profiler Mobile works on my Sony Ericsson phone. :)

p.s - Click here to get your new v3.0x compatible key (if you're a registered user): http://www.invelos.com/Login.aspx?bykey=true
Image
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 24430
Joined: 27 Oct 2004, 19:30

Post by bradavon »

Nice one LD you really are hot off the press. This new is only 5 days old. I'm a registered owner too, it's worth it to get the High Res. images IMO. It's upgrades for life too.

I recently upgraded to the Beta 2.5 and good to finally see a new version has been released. Up until a few days ago the Invelos.com site was down.

Invelos and version 3.0+ exists because InterVocative effectively abandoned DVD Profiler back in November 2005 (that was the last 2.5 Beta). I've been following the developments of Invelos since having problems with v2.4 under Vista (it was dead easy to fix) and it's good to see InterVocative who used to actually own DVD Profiler have come to an agreement:
Up through version 2.4 the program was released and maintained by InterVocative Software. Version 3.0 is released and maintained by Invelos Software, a company set up by developer Ken Cole to focus entirely on DVD Profiler and related products & services.

On April 5, 2007 Jesse Slicer, Kenneth Meade and InterVocative Software, LLC (represented by Tim Haverty) filed an injunction (Case #07CY-CV03512) in Missouri's 7th Judicial District (Clay County) against Ken Cole and Invelos, LLC (represented by Joseph Gall). Judge Anthony Gabbert is set to preside.

As of May 9, 2007, the issue has been permanently resolved to the satisfaction of both companies. As of the closing of this agreement, InterVocative Software becomes a wholly owned subsidiary of Invelos Software, Inc.
Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DVD_Profiler

In short: Go to www.Invelos.com from now on. I'd imagine the InterVocative website will be updated shortly to reflect the new version.

Yowser the new DVD Profiler Mobile is for SmartPhones and PDA's - Windows Mobile 2003, Windows Mobile 2003 SE, and Windows Mobile 5.0.

EDIT: Oh crap I guess not :( - http://www.invelos.com/Forums.aspx?task ... icID=73282
User avatar
grim_tales
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 22165
Joined: 25 Oct 2004, 17:34
Location: St. Albans, UK

Post by grim_tales »

I've just done mine (I think), but I dont understand the "registration key" stuff, first it said I didnt need one (ie a free registration key) then it said I needed a key to upload my collection :?
Is it free? :?
User avatar
thelostdragon
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 7059
Joined: 29 Oct 2004, 22:36
Location: Basin City

Post by thelostdragon »

Well, there used to be two keys in the old version. Even the people who used the free version of DVD profiler had one. But it is not needed anymore. Only those who have had an upgraded (paid) account (like me for example :D ) need their registration key in order to get a new one. As of the new guidelines there are certain restrictions to normal users.
Image
User avatar
grim_tales
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 22165
Joined: 25 Oct 2004, 17:34
Location: St. Albans, UK

Post by grim_tales »

Ah OK thanks.
When I went to the site and it said "you can log in with your registration key, no need to create a new account" I thought it also meant the free key, and it seemed to accept that. But every time I upload my collection now with the new version, it says I need to upgrade.
I'd rather go back to 2.4 now if I keep getting that message since I'm not upgrading :?
User avatar
thelostdragon
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 7059
Joined: 29 Oct 2004, 22:36
Location: Basin City

Post by thelostdragon »

If you have over 50 DVDs in your collection, certain features are switched off.

I wouldn't recommend going back as no new DVD profiles will be put in the 2.x database anymore.
Image
User avatar
grim_tales
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 22165
Joined: 25 Oct 2004, 17:34
Location: St. Albans, UK

Post by grim_tales »

Ah I see, but otherwise I can just use it normally? :)
User avatar
thelostdragon
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 7059
Joined: 29 Oct 2004, 22:36
Location: Basin City

Post by thelostdragon »

Yeah. Somewhere on their site should be a list of what features are only avaiable to registered members.
Image
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 24430
Joined: 27 Oct 2004, 19:30

Post by bradavon »

@ Grim: You don't need a key as you're a tight ass and haven't paid up :D

@ Everyone: AFAIK there are three advantages to paying:

* High Res. images - So much bigger than the rubbishy small ones
* Access to Beta versions if you so wish
* No adverts or nag screens.

Those use to be the reasons to upgraded anyway, on the v2.0 branch. IMO it costs about a tenner and is for life (i.e - it includes all upgrades). It's worth it IMO.

@ Everyone: When you've installed it go to Tools and Charts and Graphs. Now that's cool!
grim_tales wrote:I'd rather go back to 2.4 now if I keep getting that message since I'm not upgrading :?
Pay up then :D . Is there no way to turn off the nag screen? Maybe a tick box to tick.

As LD says the old 2.4 server is already starting to die. Remember that was maintained by a completely different company. I'm sure before long you won't even be able to connect to it.
EvaUnit02
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 9150
Joined: 08 Feb 2005, 14:39
Location: Wellywood, Kiwiland

Post by EvaUnit02 »

Thanks LD for this thread, I wouldn't have known bout the software being taken over by new company otherwise (I haven't updated my collection in months).
bradavon wrote:Those use to be the reasons to upgraded anyway, on the v2.0 branch. IMO it costs about a tenner and is for life (i.e - it includes all upgrades). It's worth it IMO.
Registration costs $30USD, fuck off. $30USD does not equal £10, what've you been smoking?
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 24430
Joined: 27 Oct 2004, 19:30

Post by bradavon »

Well I told you that bit (re: the new company) didn't I :D but obviously to marks to LD for bringing it to our attention a new version is out. And boy it's loads better, if you cough up it seems anyway.

If you re-read what I said I in fact said about a tenner and after checking it's £15, this includes all updates and frankly if you don't pay you don't get much any more so you kind of have to.

£15 isn't exactly a lot of money for software now is it. It's very reasonable when you consider like I said all upgrades. I expected to be charged again as it's now owned by a new company and bloke (who didn't get a penny of the original signs up I imagine) but nope still free.
User avatar
thelostdragon
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 7059
Joined: 29 Oct 2004, 22:36
Location: Basin City

Post by thelostdragon »

Although it's a different company, the same guy from the old InterVocative is still involved, though (as president/CEO or so).

@Brad:
The charts and graphs were available in the old version, too.

The new profiler software rocks IMO.
Image
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 24430
Joined: 27 Oct 2004, 19:30

Post by bradavon »

I didn't know that thanks. It's clearly a heavily tweaked v2.4 but boy they've tweaked it. It sucks for all the millions of people who effectively used to get it free though.
EvaUnit02
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 9150
Joined: 08 Feb 2005, 14:39
Location: Wellywood, Kiwiland

Post by EvaUnit02 »

I've used the new version, good to see that they've added the HD formats.

The functionality seems to be largely the same as old free version, except with nag screens and you can't contribute profiles anymore (as if I could be arsed to ever do so). Buying the full version is still redundant. $30USD is a lot of money to me and I'm not spending it on software whose sole purpose is to show off your e-penis, especially when all the essential functionality is available for free.
bradavon wrote:£15 isn't exactly a lot of money for software now is it.
Your argument seriously fails here, since you forget that we have different exchange rates.
bradavon wrote:this includes all updates
I don't need unstable Beta builds. You might be one of those nerds who likes to play with the buggy nightly builds of the newest branch of Firefox which may crash and memory leak, but I'm not. Stable releases only thanks.
frankly if you don't pay you don't get much any more so you kind of have to.
Oh bollocks, all the functionality that I need is in free version. Like I need crap like high res boxart and graphs.
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 24430
Joined: 27 Oct 2004, 19:30

Post by bradavon »

Even by Kiwi dollars $30 isn't much. I've been there remember. Hell many DVDs are that price, it's the cost of one DVD whoopy doo.
I don't need unstable Beta builds. You might be one of those nerds who likes to play with the buggy nightly builds of the newest branch of Firefox which may crash and memory leak, but I'm not. Stable releases only thanks.
I was specifically referring to all future official release final stable builds are included in the price (i.e - Like AnyDVD), but yes beta builds are also included.
Oh bollocks, all the functionality that I need is in free version. Like I need crap like high res boxart and graphs.
Fair enough. I was kind of re-quoting Grim as I've not seen the free version for years.

As for showing off your e-penis I'm sure some do that but in 5+ years of doing it I've certainly not. It's a link on my website buy mostly because that's easier for mates to remember than any other reason.

My e-penis isn't much use when I primarily use it offline on my PC anyway. I just find it personally useful and love the high res. images plus the new thumbnail view (which came part of 2.5 Beta), that's not in the free version.
EvaUnit02
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 9150
Joined: 08 Feb 2005, 14:39
Location: Wellywood, Kiwiland

Post by EvaUnit02 »

bradavon wrote:Even by Kiwi dollars $30 isn't much. I've been there remember. Hell many DVDs are that price, it's the cost of one DVD whoopy doo.
DVDs on average $10-30nzd over here. 30usd=~$42nzd, that's Criterion price territory there.
User avatar
grim_tales
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 22165
Joined: 25 Oct 2004, 17:34
Location: St. Albans, UK

Post by grim_tales »

Hey,
Profiler (3.0) seems to be down :?
I think it affects all people on 3.0, its not just mine. For some reason, while the local (desktop) database works, everything from the online collection has been erased, even when I've asked my collection to be uploaded to the site.
EvaUnit02
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 9150
Joined: 08 Feb 2005, 14:39
Location: Wellywood, Kiwiland

Post by EvaUnit02 »

*Has a look*
My online collection is gone too. Not that I really care TBH.
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 24430
Joined: 27 Oct 2004, 19:30

Post by bradavon »

Mine is fine and as it should be:

http://www.invelos.com/dvdcollection.aspx/bradavon

p.s - @ Grim: Try checking out the DVD Profiler home page ;) - http://www.invelos.com/
User avatar
grim_tales
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 22165
Joined: 25 Oct 2004, 17:34
Location: St. Albans, UK

Post by grim_tales »

Er its still not working :?
Maybe its the server move.
User avatar
Shen
Royal Tramp
Posts: 1481
Joined: 10 Feb 2006, 11:28
Location: Leeds, UK

Post by Shen »

you know, i really dont wanna pay to upload a profile of my DVDs but its crap that they dont give you the option of not having too, you cant upload DVDs after 50 that will appear on your profile. i mean on the old one i had 150, but now i add more, they wont show up. it would be cool if you could get it for free, but that's just kinda ruined the service for me, i honestly dont care about the High Res images and all the new features you get from registering... i just wanna have the ability to upload a profile of my dvds to keep track of what i have...
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 24430
Joined: 27 Oct 2004, 19:30

Post by bradavon »

Well you must care what you can get by registering as you want to be able to upload your DVDs ;) . What do you mean they don't give you an option of not uploading? Just don't click Upload and nothing will be uploaded.

The reality is they were making no money out of letting 90% of the user base use it for free. Why do you think the software was all but canned for 2 years? I doubt the old company would've ever updated it. All they did was maintain the servers so end-users could upload new DVD profiles.

I can see why you're annoyed but I still think £15 for a licence of upgrades for life (that's rare) is very good. Just look at how much most software costs, well over £30.

I find the software useful and use it enough to warrant paying £15. I guess it comes down to that, how often do you use it?
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 24430
Joined: 27 Oct 2004, 19:30

Post by bradavon »

I do wish they'd update their DVD Profiler for Windows Mobile to be PDA and Smartphone compatible. It would be sweet to be able to use it on my mobile.
User avatar
Shen
Royal Tramp
Posts: 1481
Joined: 10 Feb 2006, 11:28
Location: Leeds, UK

Post by Shen »

I don't use it so often, after 50 dvds, it wont update your on-line profile, or so it says, i guess because i had more than this in the old version it shows up more, but now when you click "upload to profiler" it doesn't add the dvds to your on-line profile... the on-line thing is useful really, I mean I send it to family and friends who want to buy me a dvd as a gift rather than have to reel off the list of dvds that i have...it would just be nice to not have to pay to be able to update your online profile, its only the titles that I'm after displaying, the images aren't so important, and High Res? dont really care about it...
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 24430
Joined: 27 Oct 2004, 19:30

Post by bradavon »

I suspect the vast majority of users have the same requirements as you. I too send my link around.

The online profile is one of the best features of the product. High Res. images and no Adverts alone would never bring in the money, that's all you got extra (plus access to pointless really Beta versions) on the old version.

TBH once you've paid £15 you've paid it. Anyway that's all.

Peace.

p.s - Couldn't you just use v2.4 still? Your old intervocative.com link still shows 150 titles. I'm not sure that server is being updated any more but for now at least it still works and has thousands of DVDs already on it's servers.

Even if it's not being updated you'll still get a listing for your DVD, it's contents (on the right) may just be empty.

I've no idea when they'll switch the old server off but it looks still present and correct. My advice is to go back to v2.4, which doesn't have these restrictions.