Hong Kong cinema, the "Hollywood of the East", is the nursery of various internationally acclaimed filmmakers and memorable screen classics. As a tribute to these artistic pioneers, Mega Star is proud to present the GOLDEN COLLECTION, the digitally remastered anthology of these heralded celluloid treasures and the must-own item for serious DVD collectors and Hong Kong cinema aficionados like you.
Tentative Release Schedule
Days Of Being Wild
Director: Wong Kar Wai
Starring: Leslie Cheung, Maggie Cheung, Andy Lau
First Option
Director: Gordon Chan
Starring: Gigi Leung, Lau Chung Yan, Michael Wong
A Chinese Odyssey - Part I & II
Director: Jeff Lau
Starring: Stephen Chiau, Athena Chu, Karen Mok
Curry And Pepper
Director: Ko Shou Liang
Starring: Stephen Chiau, Jacky Cheung
A Moment Of Romance
Director: Benny Chan
Starring: Andy Lau, Ng Mang Tat, Tommy Wong
Beast Cops
Director: Dante Lam, Gordon Chan
Starring: Anthony Wong, Kathy Chau, Michael Wong
Final Justice
Director: Derek Chiu
Starring: Carman Lee, Eric Tsang, Lau Ching Wan
The Heroic Trio
Director: Johnny To
Starring: Anita Mui, Maggie Cheung, Michelle Yeoh
Executioners
Director: Ching Siu Tung, Johnny To
Starring: Anita Mui, Maggie Cheung, Michelle Yeoh
Alan & Eric Between Hello & Goodbye
Director: Peter Chan
Starring: Alan Tam, Eric Tsang, Maggie Cheung
The Fortune Code
Director: Ken Cheng
Starring: Alan Tam, Andy Lau, Anita Mui, Samo Hung
As Tears Go By
Director: Wong Kar Wai
Starring: Andy Lau, Maggie Cheung, Jacky Cheung
I'd be interested in upgrading my Heroic Trio disc, maybe get A Chinese Oddyssey (sp?) and ATGB.
Wonder if HT will have the original soundtrack?
Yeah they're supposed to be, but the UK DVD will probably be cut if that bothers you (for child cruelty I imagine). Having seen the Universe, at least I saw the scene but I wouldnt mind it not there.
The cuts are very minor yes (IIRC on the MIHK VHS).
I think the child cruelty is the scene where the kids appear to eat severed ears and stuff (and one of them wets himself).
Didnt Ching Siu Tung direct Heroic Trio, not Johnny To?
HKL should have released HT ages ago, according to the BBFC, the UK promotional trailer was made as far back as June 2004 (!)
grim_tales wrote:The cuts are very minor yes (IIRC on the MIHK VHS).
I think the child cruelty is the scene where the kids appear to eat severed ears and stuff (and one of them wets himself).
It was just two shots of urination. Which one would assume was faked.
Didnt Ching Siu Tung direct Heroic Trio, not Johnny To?
They both did. I think To may get the main credit? Not sure.
Didnt realise that was all it was.. not sure why it was cut then? To be fair the BBFC don't actually say why it was cut on the site (does it go against the Protection of Children Act or something?)
I'll check my Universe disc. I'm sure the credits mention Ching Siu Tung as well.
grim_tales wrote:Didnt realise that was all it was.. not sure why it was cut then? To be fair the BBFC don't actually say why it was cut on the site (does it go against the Protection of Children Act or something?)
It would seem so. Seems like a very strict intepretation in this instance. Will be interesting to see if the BBFC revise their opinion upon resubmission.
I'll check my Universe disc. I'm sure the credits mention Ching Siu Tung as well.
They do. But I can't remember what the exact billing is.
I love how it says "Tentative Release Schedule" and gives NO dates.
TADVDG has some details on DOBW but no DATE still:
Anamorphic
Cantonese DD5.1 or DTS
Subtitles: English, Traditional Chinese, Simplified Chinese, Japanese, Korean, Bahasa Malaysia, Bahasa Indonesia, Thai, Vietnamese
It also says:
"Next week Mega Star will launch their new Golden Collection series. These new DVD releases will utilize HD masters and feature DTS soundtracks"
It looks like DOBW will be out next week and these will have HD transfers. I may double dip DOBW so I can compare it to my R1. I also have the current MegaStar DVD.
While the news of HD is good I'd be much happier to here they've fixed the subtitles for this release. The English subs on DOBW are god awful.
I've just bought the french Wong Kar-Wai boxset (same as the R1), so I'm going to wait too.
+ if the subs are terrible, it's not worth it. DOBW is a dialogue-driven movie.
I used to be "the man who loves the movies you hate".
Now I'm just "that weird french guy with a cat avatar who comes to BnB once a year for no reason and then disappears again".
I used to be "the man who loves the movies you hate".
Now I'm just "that weird french guy with a cat avatar who comes to BnB once a year for no reason and then disappears again".
I've compared my copies of DOBW and ChungKing Express to the caps on DVD-Beaver:
While the french DOBW is slightly softer than the Kino, the french ChungKing is MUCH better than the old Tarantino-sponsored R1.
I'd love to see some caps from the R1 boxset so I could post a comparison.
I used to be "the man who loves the movies you hate".
Now I'm just "that weird french guy with a cat avatar who comes to BnB once a year for no reason and then disappears again".
£5.99 but are the subs improved? How good is the AV? The subs are of most importance here, even if it's a FS type remaster but the subs are still as bad I won't be bothering.
There are caps on the Tower Forum comparing the OLD Mega Star 'Days of Being Wild' with the NEW edition and the OLD one is much better to my untrained eyes (!) Very strange for a so-called HD remaster. I'm sticking with my current MS release. You can access the caps via the ADVDG (the Tower forum is Chinese only).