The Madman Asian Eastern Eye/Director's Suite Thread!

China, Hong Kong, Japan, Korea, Thailand, etc
RickyTheDragonSteamboat
Pedicab Driver
Posts: 265
Joined: 07 Dec 2006, 23:54

Post by RickyTheDragonSteamboat »

Thanks!
slasher13
Royal Tramp
Posts: 1799
Joined: 03 Dec 2004, 09:15

Post by slasher13 »

While I couldn't find the source for the conversion, I have read on the reviews, that it is on a dvd10, japanese on one side and english on the other, which i hate

See AnimeonDVD review and DVDVerdict review

Interestingley animeondvd say the following:
Originally released back in 1994, the transfer for this movie is presented in its original aspect ratio of 1.85:1 and is not enhanced for anamorphic playback. To date, there are no releases with an anamorphic master to them so it's not surprising that we got what we got here. What is unfortunate is that it looks like for the most part it's basically the same masters as the last release which I believe was the component based master for the Japanese laserdisc, which the Japanese DVD was also based off of.
Madman has written in their press release the following:
"There are some huge fans of Street Fighter at Madman, so we really wanted to make this release extra special. Our biggest SF nut, Madman designer Gabe Low, put his hand up for it and got busy sourcing original film and video game materials from Japan and the USA. We put a lot of love into this DVD release and firmly believe that it's among the best in the world, and is a must for any fan of the film or the video games." Dean Prenc - Anime Brand Manager

and also
Animated fighter profiles
Reversible clean-art cover
Easter eggs
Original Movie Trailers
Brand new anamorphic master
RickyTheDragonSteamboat
Pedicab Driver
Posts: 265
Joined: 07 Dec 2006, 23:54

Post by RickyTheDragonSteamboat »

Sorry if someone's already brought this up. I know that the US version is a DVD-10 (double sided/single layered) but is the Madman disc also like that? Is it anamorphic?
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 24430
Joined: 27 Oct 2004, 19:30

Post by bradavon »

Ricky to the UK at least DVD Crave are cheaper (than EzyDVD). I can also recommend:

http://atlanticdvd.com.au/

All three are decent though. Also remember it's PAL (is that okay?) and probably Region 4 only.
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 24430
Joined: 27 Oct 2004, 19:30

Post by bradavon »

Anyone? -
bradavon wrote:So it's better than the R1 because it's uncut right? Whereas the R1 is cut. Anything else making it better? I presume the R1 is also anamorphic with DD5.1? Does the R1 have any extras?
slasher13
Royal Tramp
Posts: 1799
Joined: 03 Dec 2004, 09:15

Post by slasher13 »

Anchor Bay has re-released it and it is uncut, however not many extras, r4 has better extras, plus is a dvd10 which has both cuts on both sides, r4 just has the uncut version which both audio version on 1 dvd, which is far better
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 24430
Joined: 27 Oct 2004, 19:30

Post by bradavon »

Thanks. I hear the R1 has some language censored so cut.

What do you mean by both audio tracks on the R4 and what are the two different cuts on the R1?
User avatar
BiscLimpkit
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 4727
Joined: 25 Oct 2004, 21:33
Location: Scotland

Post by BiscLimpkit »

AFAIK there are a few "cuts"

Original 100% uncut version (new R4)
Original 100% uncut version with censored language (new R1)
European version (still censored) (UK R2, new R1)
Unrated version (still censored) (old R1)
PG-13 version (heavily censored) (old R1)

I think that's right but feel free to correct me.

Brad, I think Slash means that the R4 has Eng and JPN audio.
Image
EvaUnit02
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 9150
Joined: 08 Feb 2005, 14:39
Location: Wellywood, Kiwiland

Post by EvaUnit02 »

bradavon wrote:I presume the R1 is also anamorphic with DD5.1? Does the R1 have any extras?
Seriously Brad, use DVD-basen sometime. No offence, but you're always doing this. Research on your own sometime.

Extras:-
On the Japanese side of the disc there are some character profiles and some accompanying animation. On the English side there are a couple of trailers to look at. Those are some measly offerings and the only other thing to look forward to is a mini comic book depicting some off screen events from the film.
source
Last edited by EvaUnit02 on 19 Dec 2006, 11:07, edited 1 time in total.
RickyTheDragonSteamboat
Pedicab Driver
Posts: 265
Joined: 07 Dec 2006, 23:54

Post by RickyTheDragonSteamboat »

Can anyone on here confirm that the region 1 release by Anchor Bay/Manga is anamorphic? According to the ign.com review, it is 4:3 LB and not 16:9.
EvaUnit02
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 9150
Joined: 08 Feb 2005, 14:39
Location: Wellywood, Kiwiland

Post by EvaUnit02 »

RickyTheDragonSteamboat wrote:Can anyone on here confirm that the region 1 release by Anchor Bay/Manga is anamorphic? According to the ign.com review, it is 4:3 LB and not 16:9.
The film is presented in 1.85:1 widescreen on both sides of the disc, but neither is anamporphic. While I have no proof, it seems that both images may have been cropped significantly, as objects and people are often cut off on all four sides. This is indeed a disappointment, as the movie is a visual spectacle.
Source= http://www.dvdreview.com/reviews/pages/2373.shtml

The R4 is anamorphic, import that.
slasher13
Royal Tramp
Posts: 1799
Joined: 03 Dec 2004, 09:15

Post by slasher13 »

Cheers Eva for that confirmation, Yup looks like Madman have done it again, a great release for a cool film. :)
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 24430
Joined: 27 Oct 2004, 19:30

Post by bradavon »

EvaUnit02 wrote:Seriously Brad, use DVD-basen sometime. No offence, but you're always doing this. Research on your own sometime.
I don't give a flying monkeys about this film I'm not doing any research for a film I've got zero interest in. I'm only asking so I know what do put on the front page, but otherwise yes agreed.
BiscLimpkit wrote:Original 100% uncut version with censored language (new R1)
Thanks, but so it's not uncut then.
User avatar
BiscLimpkit
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 4727
Joined: 25 Oct 2004, 21:33
Location: Scotland

Post by BiscLimpkit »

It is uncut graphically, but I don't know how the language is censored (audio? subs?).

If you were to understand Japanese and watch it, then I think it would be 100% uncut in that respect.
Image
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 24430
Joined: 27 Oct 2004, 19:30

Post by bradavon »

Slasher: DVD added! 8)
User avatar
BiscLimpkit
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 4727
Joined: 25 Oct 2004, 21:33
Location: Scotland

Post by BiscLimpkit »

btw you should add under violent cop that it's the only proper English subtitled version available. The R1 and R2 are only partially subbed, making the film unwatchable.
Image
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 24430
Joined: 27 Oct 2004, 19:30

Post by bradavon »

Good idea, done.
EvaUnit02
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 9150
Joined: 08 Feb 2005, 14:39
Location: Wellywood, Kiwiland

Post by EvaUnit02 »

Madman have acquired Jackie film, The Myth and Thai actioner, Dynamite Warrior.
slasher13
Royal Tramp
Posts: 1799
Joined: 03 Dec 2004, 09:15

Post by slasher13 »

bradavon wrote:Slasher: DVD added! 8)
Cheers Bradavon :)
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 24430
Joined: 27 Oct 2004, 19:30

Post by bradavon »

The Myth R4 2 Disc SE released on the 7th of February.

The first English friendly version I believe. Does the HK DVD have English subs? How does it compare?

http://www.madman.com.au/actions/catalo ... ethod=view

Image

Release Date: 07/02/2007
Audio tracks: Cantonese & Mandarin Dolby 5.1, DTS 5.1, English 2.0
Languages: Cantonese & Mandarin, English
Genre: Action/Adventure
Subtitles: English subtitles
Number of Discs: 2
Runtime: 118.0 mins
Format: DVD, Region 4 (PAL)
Aspect Ratio: 2.35:1 Widescreen
Extras:
Making of featurette
Behind the scenes
Interviews
Outtakes
Deleted scenes
Trailers and Teasers
Stills gallery
User avatar
HungFist
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 11932
Joined: 14 Dec 2005, 15:50
Location: Japan

Post by HungFist »

as far as I remember, everything is subbed on the HK dvd.
User avatar
BiscLimpkit
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 4727
Joined: 25 Oct 2004, 21:33
Location: Scotland

Post by BiscLimpkit »

FYI

Image

Japanese Dolby Digital 5.1; DD 2.0
1.85:1 Widescreen
Interview with Takeshi Kitano
Theatrical trailer


Image

Japanese Dolby Digital 5.1
Making of DEATH TRANCE
Interview with Tak Sakaguchi
Original trailer
Stills gallery


Image

Japanese Dolby Digital 5.1; DD 2.0
1.85:1 Widescreen
Making of CUTIE HONEY
TV spot
Original trailers
Stills gallery
Image
User avatar
HungFist
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 11932
Joined: 14 Dec 2005, 15:50
Location: Japan

Post by HungFist »

BiscLimpkit wrote: Image

Japanese Dolby Digital 5.1
Making of DEATH TRANCE
Interview with Tak Sakaguchi
Original trailer
Stills gallery
Looks linda poor compared to the R2J. No DTS (not that I care) and weak extras. I usually don't care about extras but the R2J has some nice action demonstration/practice featurettes (with some pretty karate girls afair). One bonus feature even had burnt in english subs.

EDIT: naturally I was talking about the specs only.
EvaUnit02
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 9150
Joined: 08 Feb 2005, 14:39
Location: Wellywood, Kiwiland

Post by EvaUnit02 »

Cool, didn't know that they had Takeshis'.

Does Death Trance have better pacing then a Kitamura film? Christ, for brain dead action films they feel like they went on for a month, especially Azumi.
User avatar
HungFist
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 11932
Joined: 14 Dec 2005, 15:50
Location: Japan

Post by HungFist »

I've said this before but Azumi was too short.

and yes, I'd say Death Trance does have better pacing than most Kitamura films. The running time is also below 90 min.