Look at her eyes. I think the point is that she can sleep with them open during the daylight because she's blind. At least that's how it appears to me. If it's night the scene has no point.
Why? You don't think blind people sleep at night? Would make their life pretty fucking lonely if they slept during daytime! Also, she's in a hospital yes? Dunno what your local hospital is like, but the ones near me like their patients awake during the day - maybe I live in a crazy placewith weird archaic rules & practices though! The 2nd grab is post op I assume, and I imagine those bandages would not come off even at night if she's fresh from surgery.
I've no idea what else is so special about the scene to make it daylight because, and I quote my last post: "It's been too long since I last saw the film".
LOL... I haven't forgetten, I have moved to my 1st house, and packed up all my dvds in boxes, so looking through 5 boxes of dvd, each one holding 115 dvds each..
I ordered the R4 in the Madman sale, so can complete the comparison when it arrives. Does anyone remember a comparison discussion on The Eye back on BnB? I seem to recall that people who had seen the film theatrically in HK complained that the Tartan print did not represent the original look of the film (brightness/colour tampering) - which is why I asked about the possible night time scenes in my original post.
The original R2 looks just like the newer one, I remember reviews stating the transfers were near identical. I don't deny that the Panorama disc looks shite next to the R2/R1 discs, but it'll be interesting to see if the R4 looks any different to the other western releases now - I'm not expecting it to look any different, but you never know! .
I've also adjusted Slashers to the same resolution. Thanks Slasher but please use the same resolution for each film (whatever it is).
The R1 looks interlaced to me and definitely softer than the Madman and Tartan CE's. Which are the winners. The only difference between them AFAIK is the Madman has extras whereas the Tartan CE oddly dropped all the extras from the previous DVD.
Price aside I'd go with the Madman but seeing as the Tartan CE is much cheaper I'd personally get that, the extras only amount to a few interviews anyway.
That is assuming neither are NTSC-PAL. The Tartan probably is but it's hard to say for the Madman, which "could" swing it in the R1's favour.
Here are two original size R1 caps, you can clearly see the interlacing (I couldn't spot it on the Tartan or Madman discs):
Definitely for that price you can't go wrong. I doubt we'll see it looking better. I'm surprised the R1 fairs so badly.
Why they like Hard Boiled decided to remove the extras though is an odd one. Hard Boiled the original DVD had a John Woo interview, it was shite otherwise.