The Madman Asian Eastern Eye/Director's Suite Thread!
- Shingster
- Bruce Lee's Fist
- Posts: 4140
- Joined: 08 Sep 2006, 11:14
I think it's just a poor film, horrid unlikeable characters, flat anonymous direction and a very silly plot. I think the fact the studio released Rasen & Ringu together as a double release - expecting Rasen to be the big success (as the book was more popular and widely considered better than Ringu) - but it bombed miserably while Ringu became an instant hit, says it all really.
-
bradavon
- Bruce Lee's Fist
- Posts: 24430
- Joined: 27 Oct 2004, 20:30
Fair enough. While the overwhelming opinion from what I can see is it's drivel it's not really the right place to post such comments.slasher13 wrote:Can we please get rid of the following for Spiral please.
Consider it removed.
ThanksEvaUnit02 wrote:Yah.
It's already mentionedEvaUnit02 wrote:Brad, it's worth noting that the film is also known as Rasen.
Why because it has two featurettes and a better layer change over a DTS track? Is the layer change really that bad to lose DTS, especially as it only affects the dub too???EvaUnit02 wrote:Please make a note of GITS2 as well.
Ringu 0 is good IMO. A decent back story to the films, but then I also liked Ringu 2. I think most prefer/liked Ringu 0 if it helps.EvaUnit02 wrote:I never bothered seeing Rasen or Ringu 0, as Ringu 2 was absolutely dire.
The consensus seems to be:BiscLimpkit wrote:Ok, assuming I'm a complete idiot, could someone please list the Ringu/Rasen/The Ring films from best to worst please? Thanks.
Ringu - Way up at the top
Ringu 0 - I liked this, most seem to also
Ringu 2 - I liked it but most didn't
Rasen - Made as a sequel to Ringu but it did so poorly in Japan (different director, same cast) Ringu 2 was quickly created and Rasen was quickly forgotten. Slasher is the only person who likes it (AFAIK).
The R1 box set contains all of the above, the UK R2 Tartan box set loses Rasen but gains DTS, oh and I think NTSc-PAL. The UK R2 also gets some short stories (I think). I forget what the R1 gets.
I used to own Ringu R1 (AFAIK the only R1 released on it's own) and yes it does have better PQ to the UK R2 Tartan Remastered Box set version but not greatly (which is what the DVD Times Reviewer also said) and IMO the Box set is fine.
I didn't bother to get the R1.
Slasher does like B-Movie Horror remember
-
EvaUnit02
- Bruce Lee's Fist
- Posts: 9150
- Joined: 08 Feb 2005, 14:39
- Location: Wellywood, Kiwiland
- Contact:
-
slasher13
- Royal Tramp
- Posts: 1799
- Joined: 03 Dec 2004, 09:15
- Contact:
Cheersbradavon wrote: Fair enough. While the overwhelming opinion from what I can see is it's drivel it's not really the right place to post such comments.
Consider it removed.
The consensus seems to be:
Ringu - Way up at the top
Ringu 0 - I liked this, most seem to also
Ringu 2 - I liked it but most didn't
Rasen - Made as a sequel to Ringu but it did so poorly in Japan (different director, same cast) Ringu 2 was quickly created and Rasen was quickly forgotten. Slasher is the only person who likes it (AFAIK).
LOL guilty as chargedSlasher does like B-Movie Horror remember
-
memetic
- Jade Tiger
- Posts: 156
- Joined: 28 Nov 2004, 01:44
I liked Rasen more than Ring 2. Ring 2 was more of the same of the first Ring and had story elements typical of a lot of horror sequels, whereas I liked the more scientific approach to the curse in Rasen (which is probably why I like Kairo so much). It did suffer a little from over-explanation and the ending was pretty weird but a good flick overall.slasher13 wrote:Tom may even like it, he likes movie other hates
.... Seriously thou, is there no one else who liked Rasen?
Unfortunately, Joji Iida's output varies quite a lot. I really dug Another Heaven but Dragon Head was a real piece of crap.
-
EvaUnit02
- Bruce Lee's Fist
- Posts: 9150
- Joined: 08 Feb 2005, 14:39
- Location: Wellywood, Kiwiland
- Contact:
Yeah, it wasn't until like this year that it did the Aus/NZ festival circuits (talk about 4 years too late) and that was probably only after Madman acquired the rights like in mid-late 2005.bradavon wrote:It's such a shame Kairo has never become as big as Ringu, A Tale of Two Sisters and the like.
It was popular enough for Weinsteins to see it as a viable investment to make another terrible Hollywood remake with a hot TV 20-something cast (to make fanboys go, "Holy shit, Veronica Mars in a movie!"). It was a success apparently, since it made over double it's budget in the US grossings alone. Sad really, mainstream cinema-going audiences will see any old bullshit.
-
tom2681
- Bruce Lee's Fist
- Posts: 5577
- Joined: 25 Oct 2004, 16:18
- Location: Where you'll never find me
-
EvaUnit02
- Bruce Lee's Fist
- Posts: 9150
- Joined: 08 Feb 2005, 14:39
- Location: Wellywood, Kiwiland
- Contact:
They released a R1 of Kairo a good while ago (but you knew this already. Unless you were refering to the remake, if you were then who gives a shit?), its just as lame as the UK disc though (except with a native NTSC transfer, naturally). IIRC according to reviews the transfer looks the pretty much the same as the HK disc minus the DD5.1 track.bradavon wrote:Sad indeed and as sad they've not released an R1 DVD. I'll pick the R4 up for sure but am not keen to as R4 DVDs are too expensive usually.
- Shingster
- Bruce Lee's Fist
- Posts: 4140
- Joined: 08 Sep 2006, 11:14
Been looking through my Madman sale DVDs tonight and thought I'd offer some info:
Incident at Blood Pass: Lovely transfer, looks a lot better than the screengrabs in the DVDTalk R1 DVD review. Here's a grab from the R4:

Even with a 400px comparison you can see how much more natural the colours and contrast levels are compared to the over saturated colours and clipping of the R1.
Red Lion doesn't look much different to the R1 if the DVDTalk R1 DVD review screengrabs are anything to go by:


Colours are way over-saturated, but it's a decent enough transfer, and a fucking country mile better than the shitty UK DVD. Between the R1/R4 I'd get whichever release you can find cheaper.
The R4 Sword of Doom uses the same prints as the Criterion, but they've boosted the brightness levels for some reason, which loses detail in a few scenes (judging by screengrabs). If transfer is important to you, the Criterion is the better relase, but it's pretty close!
Likewise Kill! has a transfer on par with the Criterion, couldn't find any decent res grabs of the Criterion to properly compare the R4 disc to.
Incident at Blood Pass: Lovely transfer, looks a lot better than the screengrabs in the DVDTalk R1 DVD review. Here's a grab from the R4:

Even with a 400px comparison you can see how much more natural the colours and contrast levels are compared to the over saturated colours and clipping of the R1.
Red Lion doesn't look much different to the R1 if the DVDTalk R1 DVD review screengrabs are anything to go by:


Colours are way over-saturated, but it's a decent enough transfer, and a fucking country mile better than the shitty UK DVD. Between the R1/R4 I'd get whichever release you can find cheaper.
The R4 Sword of Doom uses the same prints as the Criterion, but they've boosted the brightness levels for some reason, which loses detail in a few scenes (judging by screengrabs). If transfer is important to you, the Criterion is the better relase, but it's pretty close!
Likewise Kill! has a transfer on par with the Criterion, couldn't find any decent res grabs of the Criterion to properly compare the R4 disc to.
Last edited by Shingster on 02 Dec 2006, 00:25, edited 1 time in total.
- HungFist
- Bruce Lee's Fist
- Posts: 11930
- Joined: 14 Dec 2005, 15:50
- Location: Japan
- Contact:
-
EvaUnit02
- Bruce Lee's Fist
- Posts: 9150
- Joined: 08 Feb 2005, 14:39
- Location: Wellywood, Kiwiland
- Contact:
-
slasher13
- Royal Tramp
- Posts: 1799
- Joined: 03 Dec 2004, 09:15
- Contact:
LOL, How did I miss this, Madman released a Native Pal version of Street Fighter 2 Uncut
Sourced from Japanese release

Sourced from Japanese release
Bradavon It looks like this is the best version available, so please put it on the front pageElric of Grans wrote:
Hmm... just how uncut is this release? For a laugh, I looked at the DVD which said 97 minutes, then the VHS... which says 100 minutes...
I am sure they just rounded it off, but is there any difference between this release and the VHS Siren released a while back?
About the running time. It has to do with our remastering process to pure PAL video format which = shorter running time (but still the same footage - no cuts)
Kero-chan wrote:
I know the recent US "uncut" release censored a couple of f-words - is this true of the Madman release also?
There is no censoring of the swear words that Deejay and Guile say in our release.
- BiscLimpkit
- Bruce Lee's Fist
- Posts: 4727
- Joined: 25 Oct 2004, 22:33
- Location: Scotland
- BiscLimpkit
- Bruce Lee's Fist
- Posts: 4727
- Joined: 25 Oct 2004, 22:33
- Location: Scotland
-
slasher13
- Royal Tramp
- Posts: 1799
- Joined: 03 Dec 2004, 09:15
- Contact:
- BiscLimpkit
- Bruce Lee's Fist
- Posts: 4727
- Joined: 25 Oct 2004, 22:33
- Location: Scotland
-
RickyTheDragonSteamboat
- Pedicab Driver
- Posts: 265
- Joined: 07 Dec 2006, 23:54
- BiscLimpkit
- Bruce Lee's Fist
- Posts: 4727
- Joined: 25 Oct 2004, 22:33
- Location: Scotland
Try:
www.dvdcrave.com
www.ezydvd.com.au
I'll probably place an order in the new year - once the xmas rush has died down, ken fit like.
www.dvdcrave.com
www.ezydvd.com.au
I'll probably place an order in the new year - once the xmas rush has died down, ken fit like.

