The Bullets Discussion Thread!

Mordib
King of Beggars
Posts: 673
Joined: 26 Oct 2004, 12:25
Location: Irn Bru

Post by Mordib »

if noone gives a toss then then we may as well just leave it to Toge when he gets back, if he doesnt get back then simply give the domain to colinp or one of the new forums that have popped up if they want it. Maybe BnB shouldve been allowed to die and stay dead??
Image
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 24430
Joined: 27 Oct 2004, 19:30

Post by bradavon »

Chill out Mordib :D . Personally it looks obvious to me that no one here as the time or interest in making Bullets a full blown website so therefore I'm happy at least to leave it as a forum only site.

Let the guys at DVD Times and the like do the work at creating a full blown website.

[quote]Reviews - user reviews in the forum, sick to the 'what have you just seen thread, or its own subforum[/quote]
I strongly second this. I've wanted it for ages.

The "What have you just seen" thread is so bloody annoying and pointless. It's impossible to search through it to find a review so why both spending the time to write them.
romerojpg
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 8520
Joined: 26 Oct 2004, 13:12
Location: CLOSE TO YOUR MAMMA

Post by romerojpg »

I just think noone visits here anymore so you aint gonna get many replies which is a shame :( even I barley visit here now as its just too slow to bother with until people flock back :(

The What have you just seen is superb!
if you look at it regulary!
just make a search option to go thru single thread and prob solved!

it was THE most looked at thread on old bullets and most posted on for a reason! most people really liked to read what others had to say about films!


and I am confused as fook now! I thought this was gonna be the final Bullets incarnation, basically there seems to be loads of people all making new bullets!
I for one dont give a shit about loads of them I want 1 single Bullets, I wish someone could explain to me in simple terms what people are doing :(

as I am confused as hell, nowonder people seem to going elsewhere as they have no clue as to whats going on at all.

We need someone to make a very clear and simple post (sinple!!!!!!) about whats going on and whats coming up and what people are doing what, as I just have no clue at all now.
Mordib
King of Beggars
Posts: 673
Joined: 26 Oct 2004, 12:25
Location: Irn Bru

Post by Mordib »

ok lets try and make it simple ;)

PART I:
BnB went down. General confusion ensued. Another small forum was chosen as a kind of emergency meeting place. From that Toge's first forum was formed. much debate took place over the future of BnB.

PART II:
Some regulars chose to go to other forums rather than toges. Meanwhile we continued to try and form a plan for the proper ressurection of BnB. Before proper plans were formed toges hosting ran out and we had to make an emergency move to the sites current location. Work started to recover reviews on sister site run by ColinP

PARTIII:
Plans came, Plans went. Other commitments forced toge away for a while. In his absence took the lead on trying to get things moving again. things didnt move as opinions were split. some regulars wanting to continue with the recreation of BnB, others wanting the regulars to gather at one of two favoured alternative forums. fewer people coming to this site. No interest shown in attempt to push forward. I made the sulky post above. then you asked for things to be explained simply;)

et voila!!
Image
gojensen
King of Beggars
Posts: 603
Joined: 01 Nov 2004, 10:44
Location: Norway

Post by gojensen »

Forum reviews - what about, for a start, you make a "category" called "Reviews", where everyone that wants can post their own review in a post of their own (properly titled of course!) and people could comment in that thread if they wanted to. That would make it quite easy to see which new reviews were available - and would make it easy to search in... (and with a forum category of it's own, a frontpage script could be put in place to automatically show the newest reviews)...

The "review-announcment" and "what have you seen" thingy I loathe... they work for the first few pages - but at 164+ pages (like it was at the old BnB nuke site) it is impossible to keep track of.

I'd guess the natural conclusion to ColinP's work would be to have it "integrated" with this incarnation of BnB as sort of an archive.

So old BNB'ers are now spread over 3 different forums? The last thing we need is for the reviews to be spread over more sites aswell ;)

Getting good reviews in here I firmly believe is the first step in revitalizing BnB, as many visitors came here because of the number of good reviews. BnB had a lot of lurkers that came to read reviews, this forum has little interest to those lurkers... why would we care about lurkers though? Because, eventually most of them become "members" of the community...

I lurked on BnB for years before making my first post... :D
So long, and thanks for all the fish!
wazzabi
Jackie Chan's Little Toe
Posts: 21
Joined: 02 Nov 2004, 13:18

Post by wazzabi »

Just my 2 penneth on the issues that Mordib has raised:

[quote]
1. forums - phpbb in some form or other. spoiler tags. What other features do people like/want in a forum
[/quote]

Any decent forum software will do. For this kind of forum spoiler tags are a definite must. Perhaps maybe a Slap Down button for anyone who disrespects Transformers The Movie! ;) The more customisable the forum software is, the better IMO. But, I'm don't know how well phpBB and the rest of the forum apps stack up against each other.

[quote]
2. Reviews - user reviews in the forum, sick to the 'what have you just seen thread, or its own subforum, or somekind of blog front page type stuff? also comercial reviews as in review discs, anyone feel they can dedicate the time if I organised something?
[/quote]

Just like Brad, I have never been a fan of the "Rate what you have just seen" kind of threads. Mainly because I feel a new thread should be created for a user review and then you have a have a whole thread to discuss the DVD or film. That means that there is not one single thread dedicated to user reviews, which then gets bogged down with people possibly cross-discussing several different DVDs/Films at once. As for commercial reviews, I'm sure there are lots of people who visit here who would jump at the chance of reviewing the latest review discs from the big companies. Jesus Christ, hell I'd do it (if my writing skills were up to scratch) to watch the latest HKL releases and the like for free! :cool:

[quote]
3. News - As with commercial reviews, news relies greatly on having dedicated people who check out various sites collecting the stuff, then putting it up.
[/quote]

I'd say the majority of people on this forum keep up to date with the lastest news both DVD and Film related in one way or another. So I can't see that being much of problem if people can be bothered to get their arse in gear and post some news. The promise of nice shiny review discs to review may be an added incentive. ;)

[quote]
4. articles - article, as in column writing, as in 'the state of hongkong cinema in the uk today' kind of thing. Anyone fancy their luck writing such things?
[/quote]

These would be good, but it'll need someone who has lots of indepth knowledge and can be bothered to research heavily for these kinds of articles. Which, ofcourse rules me completely out. ;)

[quote]
5. aesthetics - colours, style and so forth.
[/quote]

Not bothered really, as long it looks okay and is easy to use.

[quote]
6. sponsers - do we want them? do we need them??
[/quote]

I'm not really a fan of sponsors but, that said I see no problem in getting some on board in order to get DVDs to review or to help pay site costs or something. Just so long as the ads and the like are unintrusive and no and I mean no, bloody pop-ups!

[quote]
any more thoughts??
[/quote]

No, they hurt my brain, so I try not to have them so often ;)

As I say, just my 2p on this.
Mordib
King of Beggars
Posts: 673
Joined: 26 Oct 2004, 12:25
Location: Irn Bru

Post by Mordib »

hey, thanks guys... keep it coming anyone else that wants to chip in. input is goooooood :D

one thought as to a review forum, some reviews people put up are incredibly short, or about films that have already been mentioned and short. hows about a forum where people can post reviews as seperate threads so people can comment and a stickied 'what have you just seen' thread for people who just want to make a quick comment about a film theyve seen and not really write enough to justify a thread??

m.
Image
Toge
Flirting Scholar
Posts: 468
Joined: 23 Oct 2004, 11:03

Post by Toge »

Fuck it mate, if you wanna move without me, fine. Many are unhappy with me admining this site anyways, so I might as well let it go to a neutral member.
I might only drop in and out but I'm still your admin... spiritually :P
Image
Mordib
King of Beggars
Posts: 673
Joined: 26 Oct 2004, 12:25
Location: Irn Bru

Post by Mordib »

well nice to know i'm not the only one who knows how to sulk. ;)

didnt you actually ask me earlier in either this thread or another to take the reigns for a while? and did you also think we would sit and twiddle our thumbs for an unknown period of time waiting for you to return before doing anything?

The reality is whether its you, me, all of us, neither of us, things do need to get moving soon before what little interest people have left fades completely.

I dont give a toss whether some people dont like the idea of you admining, you got in at the ground floor, provided us a place to post when there was none, the only way you are not involved is if you actually really dont want to. the whole point of the posts above are to get as many people involved as possible, a community spirit is what we are missing at the moment, the more involvement people have the more part of it everyone will feel.

up to you dude, when you have finished with your other business there'll be plenty to do and your one of the centre parts of the team.:D
Image
romerojpg
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 8520
Joined: 26 Oct 2004, 13:12
Location: CLOSE TO YOUR MAMMA

Post by romerojpg »

Yup I was pissed by people crying like babies saying Toge is too young! who gives a shit! he is a PC genius so he did it and good for him and us too!

Toge did a superb job of tiding us over and helping us stay in contact, he deserves a medal :)

and hey just remember the Look what I just saw thread, wasnt the only place we put our reviews! I would open a new thread about said dvd or film, or add it to a previously started thread on that film to help the site, I didnt just stick all ine in that one thread thats for sure, it was a fun thread and I am sure it will keep going if a new forum opens, as theres room for them all really :)

unless theres nasty rules and people ban me like they have at DDFORUMS!!!!!!! :o thats one classy site! (not!)

shows me why I love smaller sites like this as theres far less arsholes with massive egos! I wasnt even greeted by 1 person on DVDFORUMS when I joined, in fact the attitude towards me was appauling and some people were nasty from my 1st post, theres some right scumlords on that site!
and that was the best thing about Bullets even new people were treated nice by all and it felt like a community and hope it will when a new site is made and up and running :)
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 24430
Joined: 27 Oct 2004, 19:30

Post by bradavon »

[quote][i]Originally posted by thelostdragon[/i]
Mni Pocky is great! I'm there everyday and there I get what I cannot get here anymore, which might be sad, but true. Over there, you get and also contribute news about Asian movies in general and DVD releases.[/quote]
So there's lots going on there? with lots of ex-bullets members?

What's the url?
romerojpg
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 8520
Joined: 26 Oct 2004, 13:12
Location: CLOSE TO YOUR MAMMA

Post by romerojpg »

Lots of DVDFORUMS people mainly! hope tyhe nice ones not the fookers!
Mordib
King of Beggars
Posts: 673
Joined: 26 Oct 2004, 12:25
Location: Irn Bru

Post by Mordib »

[quote][i]Originally posted by bradavon[/i]
[quote][i]Originally posted by thelostdragon[/i]
Mni Pocky is great! I'm there everyday and there I get what I cannot get here anymore, which might be sad, but true. Over there, you get and also contribute news about Asian movies in general and DVD releases.[/quote]
So there's lots going on there? with lots of ex-bullets members?

What's the url? [/quote]

yep, actually in the spirit of the things it would be good to have links to any other forums people think people here would be interested in. With Debate winding down I need more forums to hang out on too. 1 just isnt enough, and although for different reasons Im not a fan of dvdforums either ;)
Image
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 24430
Joined: 27 Oct 2004, 19:30

Post by bradavon »

What's the url?

DVD Debate has been winding down for years, isn't it?
romerojpg
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 8520
Joined: 26 Oct 2004, 13:12
Location: CLOSE TO YOUR MAMMA

Post by romerojpg »

I am still banned from dvdforums!!!!!!! anyone know how the hell I am suposed to contact them?

and hey find Megatron on dvdfoums bradavon its his sig :)
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 24430
Joined: 27 Oct 2004, 19:30

Post by bradavon »

[quote][i]Originally posted by romerojpg[/i]
I am still banned from dvdforums!!!!!!! anyone know how the hell I am suposed to contact them?[/quote]
LOL so that's why you're suddenly annoyed with them. What did you say to annoy them?

I've been a member for year and not been banned. You've been a member for all of 2 minutes and get yourself banned. Didn't you know you're not allowed to say whatever you want there, like you are here?

As for contacting them e-mail one of the mods. The same people pretty much who are mods at DVD Times are at DVD Forums so use the e-mail form on there.

[quote][i]Originally posted by romerojpg[/i]
and hey find Megatron on dvdfoums bradavon its his sig :) [/quote]
Good idea. I forgotten who ran it.
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 24430
Joined: 27 Oct 2004, 19:30

Post by bradavon »

I've just checked Megatron's site out and 90% of the posts are started by him. Take them away and you barely have a site left. It looks like Megatron is trying to make the site look more busy than it really is!
romerojpg
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 8520
Joined: 26 Oct 2004, 13:12
Location: CLOSE TO YOUR MAMMA

Post by romerojpg »

[quote]
LOL so that's why you're suddenly annoyed with them. What did you say to annoy them?
[/quote]

Well I was pissed well before I got banned!

I was treated like absolute shit from my 1st post, the comments were nasty and vindictive and they got stuick into me about pretty much all the films I liked and every comment I made! I would never insult peoples taste in film like they did, and basically theres a lot of total tossers on that site (and lot of luvertly people I may add) but the dicks dont half ruin the site for me.

People may call me a dick or whaever, but at least I am never nasty and am having a laff pretty much all the time, theres a big difference between being fun and friendly and openly welcoming new people, and fucking acting agresivly and putting down new people!

I got banned as I was well pissed off with someone ruining a thread I started as he and a few others had made some shitty comments about me and my tastes, and I was sick to death of it after a few weeks! so I gave in and went and said some nasty things back (nothing bad) then said something like


Ohh yeah I must be trying to pee everyone off so I get banned quick


and lo and behold I was banned instantly! (as the person I was talking to was a mod, not that that matters to me, if you act like a child I will not hold back!)


but hey its there loss, and the nasty twats on that site can burn in hell! (just hope the nice people have a nice time there!)
gasteropod
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 6868
Joined: 03 Nov 2004, 18:16

Post by gasteropod »

[quote][i]Originally posted by bradavon[/i]
I've just checked Megatron's site out and 90% of the posts are started by him. Take them away and you barely have a site left. It looks like Megatron is trying to make the site look more busy than it really is! [/quote]

He posts news which most of us don't find, and starts topics - what's wrong with that? If people reply to the topics then that's the whole point isn't it?

And as for Mini Pocky being made up mostly of DVD Forums members... as far as I can tell it's mostly ex-Bullets members but I might be wrong
gojensen
King of Beggars
Posts: 603
Joined: 01 Nov 2004, 10:44
Location: Norway

Post by gojensen »

Which is the problem... NONE of the current "sites" offer what the old BnB did. And with BnB's user base spread around 3-4 different forums - things will never be the same...

And Romero... the "what you've just seen" and "review announcments" ONLY worked if you checked them regularly (twice a day!) ... seperate forums for these where the posters start a thread pr. film/dvd works much better for organizational stuff... and you wouldn't be missing anything ;)
So long, and thanks for all the fish!
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 24430
Joined: 27 Oct 2004, 19:30

Post by bradavon »

Gasteropod fair enough then I guess but it still looks a bit dodgy having virtually all threads started by the webmaster. At least here other people post to. My point being that you can't have a forum that works if only one person posts.

Oh btw I've replied to the "vouchers thread" on Mini Pocky and people nabbing (aka - leaching) the vouchers from this site without the relevant thanks.

[quote][i]Originally posted by romerojpg[/i]
as the person I was talking to was a mod, not that that matters to me, if you act like a child I will not hold back![/quote]
You're not the only person to ruffle feathers there. The mods are very strict I know this so try my best to not annoy them. At the end of the day we lose out by being banned.

The DVD Forums is not a democratic forum as long as you know that then it can be fine to use.
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 24430
Joined: 27 Oct 2004, 19:30

Post by bradavon »

This site I'm sad to say is slowly dying (it showed a lot of potentional when it started) so I'd unfortunately leave for the likes of Mini Pocky but that looks to be as bare as this one.

With DVD Debate know dying to, there isn't really a "small" forum left in the way me and Romero like.
megatron
Jackie Chan's Little Toe
Posts: 7
Joined: 02 Nov 2004, 20:20

Post by megatron »

If theres one thing thats still enjoyable about this site for me is reading the petty bitching that goes on here. Anyway, the reason most of minipockycinema's news is posted by the webmaster is because the main site isn't up, and even when it is I don't really care if it stays that way cause it's just my little project (not a bnb wannabe etc etc :rolleyes: ) and at the end of the day thats what it's really all about - sharing info on asian cinema. I think a lot of people have forgotten about what film forums are really for...

*and Brad if some of the voucher/links were nicked from your then then I do apologise. Most were taken from my old favourites so they may have come from your thread.
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 24430
Joined: 27 Oct 2004, 19:30

Post by bradavon »

Hi Megatron. You've made some valid points there being "I think a lot of people have forgotten about what film forums are really for...".

[quote]and Brad if some of the voucher/links were nicked from your then then I do apologise. Most were taken from my old favourites so they may have come from your thread.[/quote]
At the end of the day none us created these links so it would be very selfish of me to say you can't copy them at all (not that I could stop it).

My point was purely that if you take a link of said thread to say thanks to the relevant people as I do already.
romerojpg
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 8520
Joined: 26 Oct 2004, 13:12
Location: CLOSE TO YOUR MAMMA

Post by romerojpg »

I posted earlier and it was up fotr an hour, now its gone!!!

I said basically no this and other sites aint lost the stuff about film! I for instance post crap on the threads for crap and post about films on the threads about films! and from what I see so do many others.