Leon: Deluxe Edition Review!

Non-Asian Film & Release Discussion, and Serious Film-Related Discussion
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 24430
Joined: 27 Oct 2004, 20:30

Post by bradavon »

[quote][i]Originally posted by romerojpg[/i]
Thats about Luc Bessons 17th wife! he marries anyone who looks nice and they all fall for his old ugly mug! its not fair! [/quote]
He is a film director. I guess they're next to only rock stars :D

[quote][i]Originally posted by brooce-leroy[/i]
I think the sexual undertones are really very tame, and the studio must have been overacting like they always do to anything slightly suggestive. Its not like anything happens physically between the two. [/quote]
They are from a European point of view.

In the script originally there is a scene where Leon walks in on Matilda in the shower and she doesn't mind. Her parents complained so this was cut. Nothing happens too. Natalie Portman says this in one of the scripts.

[quote][i]Originally posted by brooce-leroy[/i]
Who is Stansted? I think Gary Oldman's character is called Stansfield? Anyway, I disagree about him being well written. He is far too OTT and is more of a pyscho caricature than a proper character. [/quote]
My bad Stansfield.

The fact he is so OTT makes it great to watch. It's clear the cop in "Kiss of the Dragon" was modelled after him.

[Edited on 28-1-2005 by bradavon]
User avatar
grim_tales
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 22164
Joined: 25 Oct 2004, 18:34
Location: St. Albans, UK

Post by grim_tales »

Blimey I had no idea that shower scene was in the original script Brad, I'm not surprised it was cut as you say.
Yes IMO the sexual undertones are tame, (theyre implied rather than "shown") the character development and uneasiness created by them though makes the DC a vastly superior film. :)

[Edited on 25-1-2005 by grim_tales]
romerojpg
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 8520
Joined: 26 Oct 2004, 14:12
Location: CLOSE TO YOUR MAMMA

Post by romerojpg »

I got my dvd too and I cannot wait to see it again as its one of the best films of all time :) pretty much perfect, even the music used in it while not my taste ussually is amazing in the film :) from Bjork to Sting! WOW!
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 24430
Joined: 27 Oct 2004, 20:30

Post by bradavon »

The music works wonderfully in this. I am a Sting fan though.

Grim what else have you heard about said scene?
User avatar
grim_tales
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 22164
Joined: 25 Oct 2004, 18:34
Location: St. Albans, UK

Post by grim_tales »

I havent heard anything else apart from what you said Brad, I mean I'm not surprised it was cut if her parents complained, Portman was a minor then.

I'm a Sting fan too - [i]Shape of My Heart[/i] works wonderfully.

[Edited on 25-1-2005 by grim_tales]
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 24430
Joined: 27 Oct 2004, 20:30

Post by bradavon »

It would've been cut if she wasn't!
Yi-Long
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 8616
Joined: 26 Oct 2004, 13:46
Location: Alkmaar, Holland

Post by Yi-Long »

I'll wait for the region 2 release, cause I cant play imports on my box, but hopefully they will keep the same cover-art as it looks great!
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 24430
Joined: 27 Oct 2004, 20:30

Post by bradavon »

You'll be waiting a longer time. The UK R2 is crap and I've heard nothing from Universal that they plan to change this.

Isn't the Korean DVD R0? Assuming you can play NTSC or you could get the expensive Japanese R2.
User avatar
grim_tales
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 22164
Joined: 25 Oct 2004, 18:34
Location: St. Albans, UK

Post by grim_tales »

Has anyone seen this "anniversary edition" 2 disc set from Korea? It looks to be like the previous Korean SE but with DTS and some more extras.

AARGGHH, I hate double-dipping/upgrading :evil:
:D

http://koreandvds.com/dvddetail.html?id=26183 :)
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 24430
Joined: 27 Oct 2004, 20:30

Post by bradavon »

Those are the same extras as the R1 SE. I'm betting they are all on disc 2 and because of it it doesn't have DTS.

The theatrical cut is redundent as far as I'm concerned so I'm happy with the R1 SE.
User avatar
Unrealnils
Pedicab Driver
Posts: 278
Joined: 26 Oct 2004, 16:05

Post by Unrealnils »

I have the Korean version should i upgrade ?? :?

Too much upgrading these days :(


As for being stuck with the TC brad its not like we payed more ;)
Constantly M.I.A
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 24430
Joined: 27 Oct 2004, 20:30

Post by bradavon »

Unrealnils wrote:I have the Korean version should i upgrade ?? :?
Is that a Grim type question?

Only you can answer that. Do you want DTS and extras?
Unrealnils wrote:As for being stuck with the TC brad its not like we payed more ;)
I know but I'd prefer DTS and even the extras over it.
User avatar
Unrealnils
Pedicab Driver
Posts: 278
Joined: 26 Oct 2004, 16:05

Post by Unrealnils »

bradavon wrote:Is that a Grim type question?
:D


Just expressing about the upgrading thing........... on my third Loen already
Constantly M.I.A
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 24430
Joined: 27 Oct 2004, 20:30

Post by bradavon »

What were the other two?
User avatar
Unrealnils
Pedicab Driver
Posts: 278
Joined: 26 Oct 2004, 16:05

Post by Unrealnils »

Had the r2 and the orignal R1
Constantly M.I.A
User avatar
Markgway
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 20194
Joined: 18 Feb 2005, 02:04

Post by Markgway »

grim_tales wrote:Has anyone seen this "anniversary edition" 2 disc set from Korea? It looks to be like the previous Korean SE but with DTS and some more extras.
I've got this on order. Should get it next week. :)

Not bothered about the DTS or the extras even (though it's nice they're included). I got this because it has both cuts. Unlike the R1 releases here you have the choice of what to watch. I've never seen the DC so even if I don't like it I still have the TC as an option. The R2 I currently have is non-anamorphic so I'll be getting rid.

I've also heard that the R1 transfers are inferior to those on the Korean DVDs. So another plus point.
gojensen
King of Beggars
Posts: 603
Joined: 01 Nov 2004, 10:44
Location: Norway
Contact:

Post by gojensen »

I'm still of the opinion that the R3 releases of LEON (any length) are superior to any R1/R2 release. Someday I'll go and grab those screenshots to prove it :D

As for the anniversary edition it does indeed look like a repackaging of the previous Korean release but with DTS and a less stylish cover ;)
So long, and thanks for all the fish!
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 24430
Joined: 27 Oct 2004, 20:30

Post by bradavon »

Plus extras, which are short but sweet IMO.

Mark as everyone else says the DC is vastly superior. It makes the TC worthless.
User avatar
Markgway
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 20194
Joined: 18 Feb 2005, 02:04

Post by Markgway »

bradavon wrote:Mark as everyone else says the DC is vastly superior. It makes the TC worthless.
I can form my own opinions, thanks. 8)
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 24430
Joined: 27 Oct 2004, 20:30

Post by bradavon »

What did I do with that handbag, it was just some friendly advice.
Post Reply