A Better Tomorrow - Ultimate Edition

China, Hong Kong, Japan, Korea, Thailand, etc
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 24430
Joined: 27 Oct 2004, 19:30

Post by bradavon »

My god this couldn't be anymore perfect really.

Don't forget guys Play.com is reporting this will be in a Tin!

It's a pity no 5.1 remix is included as this is just the sort of film that a 5.1 remix can utilise. Still I'd prefer a Stereo over a really bad 5.1 remix as those can be awful + most who create 5.1 remixes for older HK films usually get them badly wrong.

The Bey Logan commentary really makes it a must buy for me.

I'll hold on to my IVL box set for now as it's still the best version of Part 2 & 3. I'll soon own three versions of this :D. I must get rid of my Anchor Bay R1 DVDs.
User avatar
grim_tales
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 22166
Joined: 25 Oct 2004, 17:34
Location: St. Albans, UK

Post by grim_tales »

What transfer are Optimum using?
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 24430
Joined: 27 Oct 2004, 19:30

Post by bradavon »

Give me 5 minutes and I'll pull the answer out of my backside :wink:
User avatar
thelostdragon
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 7059
Joined: 29 Oct 2004, 22:36
Location: Basin City

Post by thelostdragon »

It's a buy for me.
Image
EvaUnit02
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 9150
Joined: 08 Feb 2005, 14:39
Location: Wellywood, Kiwiland

Post by EvaUnit02 »

I'd need to see a review of the picture quality and subtitles first before I'd buy it. The subs on the IVL are manageable enough, but a real pain in more dramatic parts. Mark's infamous monologue is barely coherent.
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 24430
Joined: 27 Oct 2004, 19:30

Post by bradavon »

I hope it's not two DVD-5s.

From DaveF at DVD Forums:

"English subtitles are optional. The translation is new, and appears to be almost identical to the Anchor Bay script (based on the story Chow tells in the nightclub there are just minor differences, "urine" instead of "piss", "I drank urine in the nightclub" instead of "Drink piss in a night club!").

The transfer seems to be almost identical to the Anchor Bay effort, only this one is a little softer in places (smoothing out the grain) and tweaks the contrast/blooming found on the AB disc. It's proper PAL, no interlacing. "
User avatar
HungFist
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 11932
Joined: 14 Dec 2005, 15:50
Location: Japan

Post by HungFist »

bradavon wrote:I hope it's not two DVD-5s.

From DaveF at DVD Forums:

"English subtitles are optional. The translation is new, and appears to be almost identical to the Anchor Bay script (based on the story Chow tells in the nightclub there are just minor differences, "urine" instead of "piss", "I drank urine in the nightclub" instead of "Drink piss in a night club!").

The transfer seems to be almost identical to the Anchor Bay effort, only this one is a little softer in places (smoothing out the grain) and tweaks the contrast/blooming found on the AB disc. It's proper PAL, no interlacing. "
Good to hear. I don't have to buy an additional ABT dvd while waiting for the upcoming HK Video...

Though I have to admit the extras look pretty interesting.
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 24430
Joined: 27 Oct 2004, 19:30

Post by bradavon »

If it turns out to be the same AV wise as the Anchor Bay I doubt I'll bother in hindsight.

I really wanted improved AV + the Bey Commentary, with just the Bey commentary left it doesn't make it a purchase any more. The second disc of extras looks decent enough but not something I'm really eager to see. I only tend to watch the uber good extras now a days.

STILL the AB DVDs are very old now and Optimum Asia seem keen to give us a really good DVD so you never know it may look better. Dave F only had a quick look.
Killer Meteor
Hail the Judge!
Posts: 2380
Joined: 16 Mar 2005, 23:05

Post by Killer Meteor »

I hope the sound issues on the AB aren't there
bradavon wrote:
but I guess you're more intelligence than me.
EvaUnit02
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 9150
Joined: 08 Feb 2005, 14:39
Location: Wellywood, Kiwiland

Post by EvaUnit02 »

bradavon wrote:"English subtitles are optional. The translation is new, and appears to be almost identical to the Anchor Bay script (based on the story Chow tells in the nightclub there are just minor differences, "urine" instead of "piss", "I drank urine in the nightclub" instead of "Drink piss in a night club!").
Cheers Brad. That's what I needed to hear. I'll buy this then.
The transfer seems to be almost identical to the Anchor Bay effort, only this one is a little softer in places (smoothing out the grain) and tweaks the contrast/blooming found on the AB disc. It's proper PAL, no interlacing. "
Good enough in my books, it can be compliment to my IVL set then. I just needed better subtitles and the extras sound like icing on the cake.

Now I'll wait for HKL's ABT2 and Heroes Shed No Tears then I can close the HK John Woo DVD chapter of my life.
User avatar
Markgway
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 20194
Joined: 18 Feb 2005, 02:04

Post by Markgway »

I'm waiting for screen caps.

I need to see for myself.
Image
Yi-Long
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 8616
Joined: 26 Oct 2004, 12:46
Location: Alkmaar, Holland

Post by Yi-Long »

Same here. I'll need to see a few decent reviews about the AV quality and all that...
Image
I was there, the big BNB blackout of november, 2008. We lost many that day...
User avatar
grim_tales
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 22166
Joined: 25 Oct 2004, 17:34
Location: St. Albans, UK

Post by grim_tales »

Yeah, if the subtitles are better and the sound drop out isnt there I will get it :)
User avatar
thelostdragon
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 7059
Joined: 29 Oct 2004, 22:36
Location: Basin City

Post by thelostdragon »

OK, I will buy this IF:

- there is the original music on it (not the "Forrest Gump"-theme)
- there aren't the same video problems as on the IVL.

Apart from that, what could possibly go wrong?
Image
User avatar
grim_tales
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 22166
Joined: 25 Oct 2004, 17:34
Location: St. Albans, UK

Post by grim_tales »

Its bound to have the original music on it. Also I will buy it IF:

The translation is good (not "Ingrish")
The original credits are intact, not the lame English (Atlas) ones
User avatar
thelostdragon
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 7059
Joined: 29 Oct 2004, 22:36
Location: Basin City

Post by thelostdragon »

So you're not buying this if the credits aren't in Chinese?
Image
Killer Meteor
Hail the Judge!
Posts: 2380
Joined: 16 Mar 2005, 23:05

Post by Killer Meteor »

I wouldn't either. I hate buying a foreign film and seeing the credits only in a different language, be it English or - in my Vengeance Video experience - German. With a film like ABT, where prints are avaliable, there's no excuse
bradavon wrote:
but I guess you're more intelligence than me.
User avatar
grim_tales
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 22166
Joined: 25 Oct 2004, 17:34
Location: St. Albans, UK

Post by grim_tales »

thelostdragon wrote:So you're not buying this if the credits aren't in Chinese?
The English cards just look naff.
User avatar
Markgway
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 20194
Joined: 18 Feb 2005, 02:04

Post by Markgway »

Yeah, no excuse for now using the Chinese opening and closing credits.

There are no English closing credits.
Image
romerojpg
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 8520
Joined: 26 Oct 2004, 13:12
Location: CLOSE TO YOUR MAMMA

Post by romerojpg »

Wont stop me from buying it at all in any way, so they are not in their origanal language as if you will watch them anyway, or will you?.

If the picture and sound are the best its ever been I dont give a shit. Most people (99% surley) dont even watch credits.

I do for every film mind you, but thats becuase I am a freak for doing so apprently :roll: thats why I see all the bits tacked onto most films, as you would be suprised how many films have closing extra footage after the credits have finished (not on many, if any asian films mind you).
User avatar
grim_tales
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 22166
Joined: 25 Oct 2004, 17:34
Location: St. Albans, UK

Post by grim_tales »

Markgway wrote:Yeah, no excuse for now using the Chinese opening and closing credits.

There are no English closing credits.
Don't you mean "no excuse for NOT using..."? ;)
On the international print, it does actually say "The End, Fine, Fin", thats the ending title card.
User avatar
Markgway
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 20194
Joined: 18 Feb 2005, 02:04

Post by Markgway »

grim_tales wrote:Don't you mean "no excuse for NOT using..."? ;)
Yes, smart arse! :D
Image
Risk
Little White Dragon
Posts: 56
Joined: 08 Feb 2006, 22:46

Post by Risk »

Apologies if this has been posted before but I found this on HMV

HMV Linksave

I am not too sure what its about, but its says unavailable and I think the numbers are to do with release dates.

Anyone have any idea what its about? Can you get both Optimum releases for a tenner?
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 24430
Joined: 27 Oct 2004, 19:30

Post by bradavon »

That is a very decent price cheers but I can't see HMV actually seeing ABT Tin SE and PH for that price.

I'll wait to see a proper AV review too. If the AV is the same as the AB's I won't bother (I'd be paying a premium for a Bey Logan commentary, I already own the AB's and they're not as nice as the IVL's). You can get the AB Box set really cheap.

No offence guys but to not buy a DVD JUST because the credits aren't in the right language is stupid, a language you can't even read. They're CREDITS!

It's very common practise to change the language on credits.
Risk
Little White Dragon
Posts: 56
Joined: 08 Feb 2006, 22:46

Post by Risk »

bradavon wrote:That is a very decent price cheers but I can't see HMV actually seeing ABT Tin SE and PH for that price.
Yeah that was what I was thinking. Oh well.