The Da Vinci Code

Cinema Releases, and Rumours/Discussion of Upcoming Films
User avatar
grim_tales
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 22166
Joined: 25 Oct 2004, 17:34
Location: St. Albans, UK

The Da Vinci Code

Post by grim_tales »

Is it possible the release could be delayed/shelved in the UK because of the plagarism case against Dan Brown?
Are the authors of the book "Holy Blood, Holy Grail" basically saying Brown stole their "research" for The Da Vinci Code? :?

Cue Romero coming on and saying "hahaha no its' all crap you fools" :wink:
Of course it is fiction (Da Vinci Code), but in the case of HB,HG it simply contains factual accounts of what people have believed, which is not the same as saying it contains facts ;)
Last edited by grim_tales on 03 Mar 2006, 15:42, edited 1 time in total.
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 24430
Joined: 27 Oct 2004, 19:30

Post by bradavon »

Why is he British?
User avatar
grim_tales
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 22166
Joined: 25 Oct 2004, 17:34
Location: St. Albans, UK

Post by grim_tales »

No Dan Brown is American, its just the case is happening in the UK.
EvaUnit02
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 9150
Joined: 08 Feb 2005, 14:39
Location: Wellywood, Kiwiland

Post by EvaUnit02 »

I never saw what the big deal about the book was. I haven't read it and don't plan to either Just looks like nothing more than an utterly through-away pulp fiction novel to me.

Most thriller novels are just as rubbish as standard Hollywood thriller films in reality anyway. Eg PD James, James Patterson are just utter hacks.
User avatar
grim_tales
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 22166
Joined: 25 Oct 2004, 17:34
Location: St. Albans, UK

Post by grim_tales »

Anyone see the trailer in the cinema yet? I saw it before The Proposition (yesterday).

I liked the trailer a lot, much darker than I thought it would be (considering the director) and I really should read the book :) I'd love to read it sometime.
romerojpg
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 8520
Joined: 26 Oct 2004, 13:12
Location: CLOSE TO YOUR MAMMA

Post by romerojpg »

I will eat my eyes before I see the film :)

But from all accouts the things in the film are kind of based on some strange "facts" as really the Vatican has cleaned up and changed history and hidden away many secrets and treaures, as really they control the a large chunk of the world they are so big and powerful and its not as if anyone ever questions anything secret they do.

I guess when the films out fully the legal stuff will happen and we will find how much borroring really went on as serious cash is under scrutiny for the film.
EvaUnit02
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 9150
Joined: 08 Feb 2005, 14:39
Location: Wellywood, Kiwiland

Post by EvaUnit02 »

romerojpg wrote:I will eat my eyes before I see the film :)

But from all accouts the things in the film are kind of based on some strange "facts" as really the Vatican has cleaned up and changed history and hidden away many secrets and treaures, as really they control the a large chunk of the world they are so big and powerful and its not as if anyone ever questions anything secret they do.
You do know it's all just bullshit that Dan Brown made up for his FICTIONAL THRILLER NOVEL, don't you?
User avatar
grim_tales
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 22166
Joined: 25 Oct 2004, 17:34
Location: St. Albans, UK

Post by grim_tales »

I hope he does.
romerojpg
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 8520
Joined: 26 Oct 2004, 13:12
Location: CLOSE TO YOUR MAMMA

Post by romerojpg »

Ahh but the Vatican has covered up so many massive things its hard to say you know :D
EvaUnit02
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 9150
Joined: 08 Feb 2005, 14:39
Location: Wellywood, Kiwiland

Post by EvaUnit02 »

I never figured that Romero would be a conspiracy nut. I can just imagine him hiding under a bed while wearing a tinfoil hat, so that Major League Baseball can't read his thoughts.
gojensen
King of Beggars
Posts: 603
Joined: 01 Nov 2004, 10:44
Location: Norway

Post by gojensen »

Romero, you should modify that a bit...

Men-in-power (and let's face, it's mostly men) have always covered up things. ;)
So long, and thanks for all the fish!
Kurgan
Royal Tramp
Posts: 1740
Joined: 10 Nov 2004, 11:29
Location: Dewsbury, UK

Post by Kurgan »

I read the book a little while ago, because I do intend seeing the film, and always try to read the source before the film is released: V For Vendetta was something I read not so long ago, and I'm currently reading A Scanner Darkly in preparation for the film.
The book's not bad at all, though IMO it loses a little steam about 2/3 through. For the benefit of those that haven't read the book or are wanting to go cold into the film I thought the piling of the clues on top of each other was a tiny bit contrived. The box which opens to reveal another box... come on already.
Image
EvaUnit02
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 9150
Joined: 08 Feb 2005, 14:39
Location: Wellywood, Kiwiland

Post by EvaUnit02 »

The UK theatrical release is censored. :lol: Your poor saps, not that I care about this film anyway (and I cared even less when I that heard Ron Howard was the director).
source wrote:Da Vinci Code
12A cert
2006 US drama by Ron Howard

The cinema version was modified at the suggestion of the BBFC who made the following comment: The BBFC advised the company that sound levels during some acts of violence may be too impactful for 12A and that the film was likely to receive a 15 classification. The final score and sound effects on the completed film included differences in sound levels which reduced the strength of some acts of violence to an extent which made the film acceptable at 12A.
User avatar
Markgway
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 20194
Joined: 18 Feb 2005, 02:04

Post by Markgway »

I thought it was funny when some Catholic spokesman urged viewers to boycott the film because it distorted "fact". I kid you not. Almost made me want to go see it right then and there. Anything to piss off religious fanatics. I'll see how the reviews are.
Image
romerojpg
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 8520
Joined: 26 Oct 2004, 13:12
Location: CLOSE TO YOUR MAMMA

Post by romerojpg »

Considering how fanatical and secrative them Catholics are he has balls, talk about a dickhead! :roll: He wants to go to the Vatican and ask to see the shit they have covered up, stole and destroyed over the past 2000 years :roll:
User avatar
grim_tales
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 22166
Joined: 25 Oct 2004, 17:34
Location: St. Albans, UK

Post by grim_tales »

I'm reading the book at the moment (havent got very far though), its very good ATM :)
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 24430
Joined: 27 Oct 2004, 19:30

Post by bradavon »

@ Mark's comments: :D . Surely it's common knowledge by know the book isn't completely based on fact.
EvaUnit02 wrote:The UK theatrical release is censored. :lol: Your poor saps, not that I care about this film anyway (and I cared even less when I that heard Ron Howard was the director).
LOL they lower the volume for the under 12s and it's censored. The volume being lowered doesn't equate to censorship.

Still blame the distributor for yet again not going with a higher rating.
EvaUnit02 wrote:and I cared even less when I that heard Ron Howard was the director
Tell me about it. He's no Bret Ratner and clearly is a talented man but I wish like Speilberg he wouldn't insist on all his films having that Hollywood gloss which makes them anything but realistic or gritty.

The story looks really intriguing however, it has a decent cast and Audrey Tatou is lovely. I've not seen her in an English role before. I like her French roles as she often gets her kit off :wink:
User avatar
grim_tales
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 22166
Joined: 25 Oct 2004, 17:34
Location: St. Albans, UK

Post by grim_tales »

Brad wrote: The volume being lowered doesnt equate to censorship
Yes it does, or at least altering.

Does Audrey Tatou play Sophie Neuveu in the film then?
Edit: She does.
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 24430
Joined: 27 Oct 2004, 19:30

Post by bradavon »

Going by trailers it looks like they've Anglicised her accent which will be a really pity if they have. Her French accent is really sexy IMO.

Why does everyone have to sound American?
User avatar
grim_tales
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 22166
Joined: 25 Oct 2004, 17:34
Location: St. Albans, UK

Post by grim_tales »

In the book Sophie is definitely French, or has quite a strong French accent anyway.
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 24430
Joined: 27 Oct 2004, 19:30

Post by bradavon »

I hope I misheard the trailer then.
gasteropod
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 6868
Joined: 03 Nov 2004, 18:16

Post by gasteropod »

bradavon wrote:The volume being lowered doesn't equate to censorship.
It most certainly does :)

That was also done for Tomorrow Never Dies.
User avatar
grim_tales
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 22166
Joined: 25 Oct 2004, 17:34
Location: St. Albans, UK

Post by grim_tales »

Does this censoring mean the cut version applies worldwide :?
Or perhaps like Spidey 2, only the R1 is unlatered.
The BBFC wrote:This film was originally shown to the BBFC in an unfinished version,
including a temporary score and sound mix. The BBFC advised the company
that sound levels during some acts of violence may be too impactful for 12A
and that the film was likely to receive a 15 classification. The final
score and sound effects on the completed film included differences in sound
levels which reduced the strength of some acts of violence to an extent
which made the film acceptable at 12A.
Conisdering how long the book is, some things might be skipped in the film.
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 24430
Joined: 27 Oct 2004, 19:30

Post by bradavon »

No that paragraph definitely says it's a BBFC 12A alteration but no I still disagree it's not censorship.

Okay maybe it is in the strictest sense (I'm contradicting myself now :D ) but I fail to see how it remotely matters when cinemas play audio so flipping load anyway, with the DVD just turn the volume up or is this another case of "let's moan because it alters the Director's vision bollocks?"

This can hardly be compared to cutting a film.

p.s - @ Grim is unlatered another way of saying non-laters? :D
User avatar
grim_tales
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 22166
Joined: 25 Oct 2004, 17:34
Location: St. Albans, UK

Post by grim_tales »

Huh?

Oh shit :D

I mean un ALTERED.