The Digital switch over - It's coming!

Literally. Unless it Should Go Elsewhere
User avatar
grim_tales
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 22165
Joined: 25 Oct 2004, 17:34
Location: St. Albans, UK

Post by grim_tales »

Thats *one* of the systems I have to use as well Romero - if Freeview breaks up and I cant record off it I *can* use normal analogue and record off that but I have to keep the TV on! Its' a fucking joke as you say.

:evil: My VCR is not nearly as good as it once was now we've moved and I can't work out how to tune the video channels on it so I've just given up. I thought the ariel guy would have done it last year (when he got the TV in my room working).

BTW Brad you can get Teletext on Freeview/Sky but its' crap IMO as its so slow.
User avatar
IronMonkey
Royal Tramp
Posts: 1950
Joined: 08 Dec 2004, 16:49

Post by IronMonkey »

What make is your VCR grim_tales? I might be able to help you out on that...
TH-42PX80 | DMP-BD50 (MR BD & DVD) | SA-XR55 | SB-TP20 | XBox 360 Slim 250GB | XBox (XBMC, 160GB) | Zotac XBMC HTPC | Gaming PC | 8TB Media Server
User avatar
grim_tales
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 22165
Joined: 25 Oct 2004, 17:34
Location: St. Albans, UK

Post by grim_tales »

Its' definitely a Panasonic.

I think its this one:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASI ... 79-0218806

I think it should tune in the video channels automatically (it did when I first bought it, and set it up in my old room which had a TV point in it), now it won't tune in for 1, 2, 3 or whatever, but I can record off Freeview.
Does that make sense? :)
User avatar
grim_tales
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 22165
Joined: 25 Oct 2004, 17:34
Location: St. Albans, UK

Post by grim_tales »

It might be because our TV signal is too weak or something? :? All I get is a jumping screen and white noise, which means the signal is too weak. Grrr :(
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 24430
Joined: 27 Oct 2004, 19:30

Post by bradavon »

Why do you guys have to leave your TV's on? Your VCR has a tuner or at least in the case of Romero it should work.
grim_tales wrote:BTW Brad you can get Teletext on Freeview/Sky but its' crap IMO as its so slow.
True I don't use it for the same reason. It's pretty but pants.
grim_tales wrote:It might be because our TV signal is too weak or something? :? All I get is a jumping screen and white noise, which means the signal is too weak. Grrr :(
Can't you manual scan? RF number by RF number.
romerojpg
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 8520
Joined: 26 Oct 2004, 13:12
Location: CLOSE TO YOUR MAMMA

Post by romerojpg »

My tuner is intigrated into the TV sadly :( so the only way to copy from it is to have the Tv turned onto the channel you want to copy, its awfull and I ussually dont bother and revert back to the crappy analogue instead.
sky75
Pedicab Driver
Posts: 273
Joined: 09 Nov 2005, 13:04

Post by sky75 »


Is it the same as DD5.1 vs. DTS as far as DPL2 vs. DTS N6?
Yes I would say so. They are extremely similar but a vast improvement on Dolby Pro Logic. The only reason I use DTS neo-6 was because when I watching some early episodes of Stargate recorded off the TV the sound levels fluctuated massively on Dolby Pro Logic II . the DTS neo-6 levelled out the peaks and troughs and I kind of stuck with it ever since. I definitely wouldn't say one is better than the other as both give stereo sources a very pleasing surround-sound. :)
User avatar
IronMonkey
Royal Tramp
Posts: 1950
Joined: 08 Dec 2004, 16:49

Post by IronMonkey »

grim_tales wrote:Its' definitely a Panasonic.

I think its this one:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASI ... 79-0218806

I think it should tune in the video channels automatically (it did when I first bought it, and set it up in my old room which had a TV point in it), now it won't tune in for 1, 2, 3 or whatever, but I can record off Freeview.
Does that make sense? :)
Right, if your TV can pick up the analog channels there's no reason why your VCR shouldn't pick them up too. Now just to make things easier, you do have your main aerial going into the RF IN on the VCR and then another lead from the RF OUT up to the TV don't you?

If you do, it should be a simple case of going into the VCR menu, moving down to tuning and running an automatic tune. As long as the aerial is wired correctly, there's no reason why it shouldn't pick up the same analog stations as your TV does.

If you're still stuck after this, let me know as I might be able to find out what the channel frequencies are around your area...
TH-42PX80 | DMP-BD50 (MR BD & DVD) | SA-XR55 | SB-TP20 | XBox 360 Slim 250GB | XBox (XBMC, 160GB) | Zotac XBMC HTPC | Gaming PC | 8TB Media Server
User avatar
grim_tales
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 22165
Joined: 25 Oct 2004, 17:34
Location: St. Albans, UK

Post by grim_tales »

Hmm. I've done automatic and manual tune but nothing happens. :?
I do have a Freeview box in my room though which is connected through the VCR, maybe one of the RF leads is going into that? Bugger, I just assumed the leads would be in the same place.
Thanks BTW, I'm annoyed the ariel guy (who come to our new house when we moved) didnt set things up properly :evil: :? I can record of Freeview though but thats it (set the video to "A2"). :)
Perhaps as you say, the ariel isn't wired right. (Thats not my fault BRW).
Oh well :)
User avatar
IronMonkey
Royal Tramp
Posts: 1950
Joined: 08 Dec 2004, 16:49

Post by IronMonkey »

Right mate, I can help you set this up properly as I install TV systems for a living. I know Panasonic equipment inside out as its the only thing we sell!

If you give me a list of everything you have (TV, DVD, VCR, Freeview box etc) and possible makes / models if you know them, it will be a great help in me fixing your problem...

But for starters:

Your aerial coming into the room needs to plug into the back of your Freeview box (usually labelled RF IN), then you need another lead from the Freeview box RF OUT to the VCR RF IN. After that, another lead from the VCR RF OUT to the TV RF IN.

That creates a loop through all 3 items so that they each receive an RF signal. Some people argue that the VCR should be the 1st in the chain but that is wrong because the Freeview box needs to receive the strongest signal it can, and doing it my way also makes it possible to tune the VCR to a channel on the VCR for recording without a SCART lead if necessary (and if the RF output is turned on).

Anyway, I'm maybe getting too technical so I'll try to keep it simple. For the rest of the wiring I need to know what the make and model are of the other items you have so that I can tell you the best way to wire the SCARTs. Hope I've helped so far! :)
TH-42PX80 | DMP-BD50 (MR BD & DVD) | SA-XR55 | SB-TP20 | XBox 360 Slim 250GB | XBox (XBMC, 160GB) | Zotac XBMC HTPC | Gaming PC | 8TB Media Server