Twilight Samurai and more on TV

Discussion of Television Shows & Channels
sky75
Pedicab Driver
Posts: 273
Joined: 09 Nov 2005, 13:04

Twilight Samurai and more on TV

Post by sky75 »

Twilight Samurai and more on TV

Next Monday night begins a season of Asian programming and films on BBC four starting with Samurai night. At 9pm there is a programme called I, Samurai about an art critic who immerses himself in the Japanese samurai culture. First trying out in south London with experts in kendo before travelling to Japan.

At 10pm, Twilight Samurai (2002) is shown. I have no idea if the film is any good but apparently it was Oscar-nominated and is probably worth checking out.

On Tuesday night at 10pm is Jonathan Ross' Asian invasion Part 1 of 3, followed by Kikujiro at 11 o'clock directed and starring by Takeshi Kitano. Again I've never seen this so maybe somebody else can comment if it's any good?

Jonathan Ross'Asian invasion is repeated after the film at 12:55AM. I think the same episode is repeated again at 11:25pm on Wednesday night and a few hours later at 1:55am.

I assume other programming and films will be shown in the coming days/weeks on BBC four.
User avatar
grim_tales
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 22163
Joined: 25 Oct 2004, 18:34
Location: St. Albans, UK

Post by grim_tales »

I have heard about the Asian Invasion series. Sounds good :)

Aren't you in the US? Can you get you get BBC Foyr over there?
sky75
Pedicab Driver
Posts: 273
Joined: 09 Nov 2005, 13:04

Post by sky75 »

I'm in the UK Grim & it does sound good
User avatar
grim_tales
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 22163
Joined: 25 Oct 2004, 18:34
Location: St. Albans, UK

Post by grim_tales »

:) Cool, for some reason I always thought you were US based.
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 24430
Joined: 27 Oct 2004, 20:30

Post by bradavon »

On Tuesday night at 10pm is Jonathan Ross' Asian invasion Part 1 of 3
I'll watch this but not the rest but really it should be called Far East Invasion (not as catchy I know) as it looks like that's what they're showing.

I saw no Bollywood or Iranian films for example (both big film countries) but then again Far East Asian films have much, much more international appeal so it's not surprising.

I don't bother watching films on TV any more (rarely anyway) as the quality isn't as good as DVD (even if it's uncropped anamorphic it won't be 5.1 so pah!), I prefer to watch them when I'm ready and I like to watch some of the extras afterwards.
Last edited by bradavon on 05 Jan 2006, 23:00, edited 1 time in total.
sky75
Pedicab Driver
Posts: 273
Joined: 09 Nov 2005, 13:04

Post by sky75 »

On Next thursday...
21:00 Geisha Girl
Film following 15-year-old Yukina as she leaves home and travels to Kyoto to embark on the arduous training to become a Geisha.

Geisha are Japan's traditional high-class entertainers: painted beauties who entertain rich business men. The profession has always been shrouded in controversy, with some believing Geisha are little more than high-class prostitutes.

As Yukina starts her training, does she really understand what this ancient profession has in store for her? [S]

Part of BBC FOUR's Asian Invasion Season.


22:00 Art Safari
4/4. Takashi Murakami: Toying with Art

Ben Lewis looks at the work of Takashi Murakami, whose candy-coloured artworks have made him Japan's most successful contemporary artist.

From Louis Vuitton handbags to super-sized toys and enormous outdoor inflatable sculptures, Takashi Murakami's work is the art world's best art investment; prices for his work have risen 20 times over in less than 10 years.

He runs a huge international art business with studios in Japan and New York, curates exhibitions, and organises art fairs. An Andy Warhol for the 21th century, Takashi Murakami has turned his art into a brand with everything from mousemats to chocolate crunch. His art may look superficial and commercialised, but Ben goes to Tokyo and discovers that behind it lies a theory about the history of post-war Japan.

Part of BBC FOUR's Asian Invasion Season.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/cgi-perl/whatson/s ... y=Thursday



I don't bother watching films on TV any more (rarely anyway) as the quality isn't as good as DVD (even if it's uncropped anamorphic it won't be 5.1 so pah!), I prefer to watch them when I'm ready and I like to watch some of the extras afterwards.



I generally don't watch many films on television for the same reason. Although if there's a film like Twilight Samurai that I'm not totally sure is my cup of tea. I'd rather watch it on telly and if it's any good I can pick up the DVD later. I have to say since getting Dolby Pro Logic II watching TV has never sounded so good. Obviously it's not a patch on Dolby Digital 5.1/DTS but it's pretty good.

Everyone will HAVE to have/get Digital TV by 2012.

They'll fix it, again they'll have to. There's no way the TV companies will lose out on that much revenue nor will the advert people.

That's only 6 years!

It is only a couple of years or less in some areas of the country! I think I saw on the news somewhere in the border between Scotland and England are being shut down in about a year-and-a-half! If I recall correctly if you go to one of those Freeview websites and enter your post code I think they can tell you when the latest date that the analogue shut down will occur in your region.

I think they should make sure digital TV provides a service that equals the current analogue service before even thinking about turning it off. Currently while Digital has extra channels a think it is a poor substitute for analogue. Anybody who has Sky can tell you that in bad weather the picture pixilates badly and sometimes with Hard Rain you lose all pictures completely. While you can switch-over to analogue terrestrial TV and watch a relatively unaffected picture long after Sky has become unwatchable, assuming you even have a picture.
sky75
Pedicab Driver
Posts: 273
Joined: 09 Nov 2005, 13:04

Post by sky75 »

on next Friday...
22:00 Gohatto
Japanese drama starring 'Beat' Takeshi Kitano. A young recruit's attractiveness disrupts an elite 19th century Samurai squad where homosexuality is officially taboo. In Japanese with English subtitles. [1999]
User avatar
grim_tales
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 22163
Joined: 25 Oct 2004, 18:34
Location: St. Albans, UK

Post by grim_tales »

Asian Invasion (the series) starts on Tuesday BTW :)
User avatar
Markgway
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 20194
Joined: 18 Feb 2005, 02:04

Post by Markgway »

I hope they show some Hong Kong movies.

Nothing against Japanese or Korean cinema... but I'm a HK aficionado at heart and only watch JP and KR films if they sound especially interesting.

Watching movies on TV in general is good because it's free. Usually I can't be arsed renting let alone buying new releases. But if it's showing on TV I usually tape it and watch it later (I can run thru the adverts that way). :) Last example: Der Untergang.
Image
User avatar
Markgway
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 20194
Joined: 18 Feb 2005, 02:04

Post by Markgway »

Image
User avatar
Markgway
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 20194
Joined: 18 Feb 2005, 02:04

Post by Markgway »

Here's a direct link to the season:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/bbcfour/cinema/fea ... sion.shtml
Image
User avatar
Markgway
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 20194
Joined: 18 Feb 2005, 02:04

Post by Markgway »

I don't fucking believe it.

They're showing ONE Hong Kong film and that's it.

And guess which one?

That piece of shite FULLTIME KILLER.

Jonathon Ross needs his arse kicked.

He always goes on about how much he likes HK movies and then hosts a season consisting of several Japanese and Korean films to jump on the bandwagon.

Bollocks, I say!! :evil:
Image
User avatar
grim_tales
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 22163
Joined: 25 Oct 2004, 18:34
Location: St. Albans, UK

Post by grim_tales »

He says he loves Asian cinema, not just HK cinema. Though I agree BBC should show more HK movies :(
I've heard very mixed reviews for Fulltime Killer.
User avatar
grim_tales
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 22163
Joined: 25 Oct 2004, 18:34
Location: St. Albans, UK

Post by grim_tales »

Info about the season:

JONATHAN ROSS' ASIAN INVASION: JAPAN
Tuesday 10 January 2006 10pm-11pm; 12.55am-1.55am; Wednesday 11.25pm-12.25am; 1.55am-2.55am


Jonathan goes to Tokyo to see if Japanese cinema has gone off the boil, as some critics suggest. He meets directors Ryuhei Kitamura (Versus) and Mamoru Oshii (Ghost in the Shell) and surveys the current crop of Japanese films, including the strange tale of a giant squid turned championship wrestler.

FEATURED FILMS

Ryuhei Kitamura


Versus (2000, Tartan)

Azumi (2003, Optimum Releasing)

Godzilla: Final Wars (2004, Toho Film Company, Japan)

Takashi Miike

Audition (1999, Tartan)

Happiness of the Katakuris (2001, Tartan)

Gozu (2003, Tartan)
Mamoru Oshii

Ghost in the Shell (1995, Manga Entertainment)

Avalon (2001, Bluelight)

Ghost in the Shell 2: Innocence (2004, Manga Entertainment)
Hayao Miyazaki

Spirited Away (2001, Optimum Releasing)

Howl's Moving Castle (2004, Optimum Releasing)
Shunji Iwai

All About Lily Chou-Chou (2001, Optimum Releasing)
'Beat' Takeshi Kitano

Violent Cop (1989, MIA)

Boiling Point (1990, MIA)

Sonatine (1993, MIA)

Blood and Bones (2005, Tartan)
Katsuhiro Otomo


Akira (1988, Manga Entertainment)
Steamboy (2004, Sony/Columbia Pictures)
Jonathan's Other Picks

Wild Zero (2000, Gaga Communications, Japan)

Ping Pong (2002, ICA Projects)

Casshern (2004, Momentum Asia)

The Calamari Wrestler (2004, Klockworx Company, Japan)



JONATHAN ROSS' ASIAN INVASION: HONG KONG
Tuesday 17 January 2005 10pm-11pm; 12.40am-1.40am; Wednesday 18 January 11.25pm-12.25am


In Hong Kong Jonathan meets Stephen Chow, star of King Fu Hustle and Shaolin Soccer, celebrates Michelle Yeoh, the world's first female Asian superstar and looks back at his all-time Hong Kong heroes, including Bruce Lee and Jackie Chan.

FEATURED FILMS

Stephen Chow

Shaolin Soccer (2001, Optimum Releasing)

Kung Fu Hustle (2004, Sony/Columbia Pictures)

The King of Comedy (1999, The Weinstein Company)

The God of Cookery (1996, The Weinstein Company)
Derek Yee

One Nite in Mongkok (2004, Tartan)

Lost in Time (2003, China Star, Homg Kong)

2 Young (2005, Film Unlimited, Hong Kong)

Death Duel (1977, Momentum Asia)
Andrew Lau (Director)

Infernal Affairs (2002, Tartan)
Infernal Affairs 2 (2003, Tartan)
A Man Called Hero (1999, MIA)
Andy Lau (Actor)

God of Gamblers (1989, MIA)
Running Out Of Time 1 (1999, Tai Seng Entertainment)
Fulltime Killer (2001, Tartan)
Wong Kar Wai

In the Mood for Love (2000, Tartan)

2046 (2004, Tartan)
Michelle Yeoh

Twinkle, Twinkle Lucky Stars (1985, Hong Kong Legends)

Police Assassins (1985, Hong Kong Legends)

Magnificent Warriors (1987, Hong Kong Legends)

Silver Hawk (2004, Momentum)
Johnnie To

Breaking News (2004, Tartan)
John Woo

The Killer (1989, Hong Kong Legends)
Jackie Chan

Police Story (1985, Hong Kong Legends)

Armour of God (1987, Hong Kong Legends)

Police Story 2 (1988, Hong Kong Legends)
Bruce Lee

The Big Boss (1971, Hong Kong Legends)

Way of the Dragon (1972, Hong Kong Legends)
Tsui Hark

A Chinese Ghost Story (1997, Hong Kong Legends)
Yuen Woo Ping


Iron Monkey (1993, Hong Kong Legends)



JONATHAN ROSS'S ASIAN INVASION: KOREA
Tuesday 24 January 2006 10pm-11pm


Many critics consider Korean cinema to be the most exciting in the world today. Among the directors Jonathan meets are Park Chan-wook, whose film Oldboy won the Grand Prix at Cannes in 2004. He also looks at an extremely odd little monster movie produced by North Korean dictator Kim Jong-il who kidnapped the film's director from South Korea to make his dream project.

FEATURED FILMS

Park Chan-wook

Oldboy (2003, Tartan)

Sympathy for Mr Vengeance (2002, Tartan)

Joint Security Area (2000, Tartan)

Sympathy for Lady Vengeance (2005, Tartan)
Kim Ki-duk

The Bow (Tartan)

Samaritan Girl (2004, Tartan)

3-Iron (2004, Optimum Releasing)

Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter... and Spring (2003, Tartan)

Bad Guy (2001, Tartan)

The Isle (2000, Tartan)
Kang Je-gyu

Shiri (1999, Tartan)

Brotherhood (2004, Premier Asia)
Kong Su-chang

R-Point (2004, Tartan)
Jonathan's Other Picks

My Sassy Girl (2001, Miro Vision, Korea)

Attack the Gas Station! (1999, Miro Vision, Korea)

Nowhere to Hide (Tartan)

Pulgasari (1985, Kim Jong-Il/So Ronery Productions)
romerojpg
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 8520
Joined: 26 Oct 2004, 14:12
Location: CLOSE TO YOUR MAMMA

Post by romerojpg »

Someone deleted all my posts :( that sucks ass, even if they are off topic a bit its shit I think :(
User avatar
grim_tales
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 22163
Joined: 25 Oct 2004, 18:34
Location: St. Albans, UK

Post by grim_tales »

What posts do you mean? The ones about Digital?
Theyre in Anything Goes now. :)
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 24430
Joined: 27 Oct 2004, 20:30

Post by bradavon »

romerojpg wrote:Someone deleted all my posts :( that sucks ass, even if they are off topic a bit its shit I think :(
LOL keep up. I was going to say but figured doing so would being going off topic :D + I figured people would spot it anyway. I'll remember to do so in future.

It wasn't just yours I cleaned up the thread as it was going completely off topic, which is fine but it was better at that point to create a new one. It's here:

https://www.bulletsnbabesdvd.com/forums/ ... php?t=1330
Jonathan goes to Tokyo to see if Japanese cinema has gone off the boil, as some critics suggest
WTF??? Since when???
sky75 wrote:on next Friday...
22:00 Gohatto
Japanese drama starring 'Beat' Takeshi Kitano. A young recruit's attractiveness disrupts an elite 19th century Samurai squad where homosexuality is officially taboo. In Japanese with English subtitles. [1999]
This is an excellent film.
Markgway wrote:Watching movies on TV in general is good because it's free.
True but for me I buy more than enough DVDs to last me a month and then some.
Markgway wrote:Last example: Der Untergang.
What did you think? I thought it was outstanding.

I really hope the forthcoming German Extended Edition DVD has English subs. I hear it's going to be something like 150-180 minutes longer.
Markgway wrote:This one is on tonight:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/bbcfour/listings/p ... 4_7535_105
Another fantastic film. You'll love this especially if you like WKW!
Markgway wrote:He always goes on about how much he likes HK movies and then hosts a season consisting of several Japanese and Korean films to jump on the bandwagon.
Agreed. They're showing a Vietnamese film but otherwise it's the usual Japanese and Korean films that get picked.

Thailand has something to offer too. The thing is HK is considered by the outside world to only offer (dumb) action flicks. This show is supposed to fix that stereotype; I guess not.

The thing is for someone who has hosted "Film 200x" for sometime now he's not "that" up on films. I remember when Ross interviewed Scorsese on "Tonight with Jonathon Ross" and he had no idea Scorsese was directing the Infernal Affairs. When's that out btw?
User avatar
Markgway
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 20194
Joined: 18 Feb 2005, 02:04

Post by Markgway »

What did you think? I thought it was outstanding.
Very good. Had me gripped. Excellent acting and filmmaking. Not sure I could watch it again though.
I really hope the forthcoming German Extended Edition DVD has English subs. I hear it's going to be something like 150-180 minutes longer.
Oh, that's too much for any film. It's the right length as is.
Agreed. They're showing a Vietnamese film but otherwise it's the usual Japanese and Korean films that get picked.
The reason why I'm pissed off is because for YEARS Jonathon Woss went on about HK movies all the time and barely made mention of other forms of Asian Cinema, but now that they're considered trendy he jumps on the bandwagon along with the rest of the critics who until recently didn't give two shits. I mean, ONE Hong KOng film (and a BAD one at that) is supposed to represent the best of HK cinema? How can that compete with the other countries films being shown? Obviously HK cinema is gonna look like crap. :roll:
Image
romerojpg
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 8520
Joined: 26 Oct 2004, 14:12
Location: CLOSE TO YOUR MAMMA

Post by romerojpg »

Twighlight Samurai is better than any HK film I can think of, so its not as if they picked a piece of crap. HK films are on the whole shit at the moment and have been so for ages, its not as if they are pumping out 5 star films.

Ross is one of the most inept presenters on TV now, his grip of film has gone and the amount of mistakes and things he just gets wrong or doesnt even know is pathetic! he gets paid for it for gods sake, I know far more than him thats for sure and I dont get paid. His taste in iflm is shit as well :roll:
User avatar
grim_tales
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 22163
Joined: 25 Oct 2004, 18:34
Location: St. Albans, UK

Post by grim_tales »

They could of showed more films from HK though, which was Mark's point.
romerojpg
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 8520
Joined: 26 Oct 2004, 14:12
Location: CLOSE TO YOUR MAMMA

Post by romerojpg »

Yes but there aint many good ones out there really that they can get the rights to, as other channels have the rights. Its not the BBC fault I am sure they would love to show Hero and a few other bigger films, but other channels bought the rights and as I said HK makes poo films on the whole latley so I dont give a shit when other places make far supirior films. The quality of other asian films blows HK films away from miles above.
sky75
Pedicab Driver
Posts: 273
Joined: 09 Nov 2005, 13:04

Post by sky75 »

Correct me if I'm wrong but those lists of films that have been posted in the thread are not films which are going to be shown but clips during the programme. So in that case surely they could have picked Hero and any other decent Hong Kong made films?
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 24430
Joined: 27 Oct 2004, 20:30

Post by bradavon »

Exactly Sky yes you're correct.

Are you sure rights work that way Romero on TV? I'm not sure they do.
Oh, that's too much for any film. It's the right length as is.
Yeah you're probably right.

p.s - Hero is not a HK film btw!
User avatar
grim_tales
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 22163
Joined: 25 Oct 2004, 18:34
Location: St. Albans, UK

Post by grim_tales »

Its' an HK/China production, no?
sky75
Pedicab Driver
Posts: 273
Joined: 09 Nov 2005, 13:04

Post by sky75 »

grim_tales wrote:Its' an HK/China production, no?
that is what I thought too :? HOFD too :?
Post Reply