luckystars wrote: ... I watched the Warner Bros. R1 release of this. It is widescreen, but only has the old school English dub. Not a bad print, but certainly not remastered.
Interestingly that was made by Ng See Yuen's prod company 'Empire Cinema Center'. Frequent collaborations with Yuen Wo Ping and a cast of stars. Are any of these films available in their original format? http://www.hkmdb.com/db/companies/view. ... ay_set=eng[/quote]
Quick note: the WB release is so much better than the shortened and full-screen "Death Beach" release found on Martial Art Essentials Vol. 4. So I would say the WB release is pretty close especially since it is widescreen and as far as I can tell it is uncut (not counting the begining credits) -- it just only has the English dub.
I don't know if any of those are available in their original format. I see some are available in cheap versions like From China with Death (Wits to Wits) on the Ground Zero release (I might have that.) The Playboy I was not even aware of.
Mo's review . It makes sense though. Will Mo respond?
While reading Dr. Reid's capsule review on the subject in his book: he notes the plague as cholera. I also notice he watched the shorter version of the film.
The Crash and Warner prints are the same. English dubbed, letterboxed, and each missing about 40s of footage. I had heard that for legal reasons Warner changed unlicensed music on their edition. Decent basher, an uncut Mandarin print would be nice.
Markgway wrote:The Crash and Warner prints are the same. English dubbed, letterboxed, and each missing about 40s of footage. I had heard that for legal reasons Warner changed unlicensed music on their edition. Decent basher, an uncut Mandarin print would be nice.
Any idea on what the 40 seconds are? Does that footage exist? Does the Mandarin version exist? I would have easily preferred listening to it in Mandarin (with a good translation), but I had to settle with what I had.
I still find it hilarious seeing that car in it (which has me trying to remember a few previous MA films where a car comes out of nowhere.)
Masterofoneinchpunch wrote:
Interestingly that was made by Ng See Yuen's prod company 'Empire Cinema Center'. Frequent collaborations with Yuen Wo Ping and a cast of stars. Are any of these films available in their original format? http://www.hkmdb.com/db/companies/view. ... ay_set=eng
Masterofoneinchpunch wrote:[ The main bad guy (of course Japanese) is played by Chen Kuan-tai. I will watch anything with him in it. However, when his character is first introduced he is wearing a face covering mask that is similar to The Winter Solider in the second Captain America – seriously it reminds me of it with the long hair parted in the middle. But what is pretty hilarious is that it appears that a few people are doubling for Chen (check skin color, eye shape, nose shape etc…) until he takes that mask off for good.
.
He was doing this movie on the sneak whilst working for Shaws.
bradavon wrote:
but I guess you're more intelligence than me.
Diamonds of the Andes (Japan/Brazil, 1968) [35mm] – 2.5/5
Director Buichi Saito directed one of the best Lone Wolf and Cub films: Babycart in Peril (1973). His 1960’s films can be quite different, as showcased by this Nikkatsu flick filmed in Brazil. Akira Kobayashi stars as a former criminal living a new life in South America, but haunted by old enemies. The film is visually stylish and features bits of solid action at the beginning and end, but the emphasis is on the storyline, which consist of not-so-inspired character drama and love triangle. Tetsuro Tamba co-stars as a Japanese detective.
The Elder Sister (Anego) (Japan, 1969) [35mm] – 2/5
Toshio Masuda once said that audiences went to Toei’s yakuza films for the action, and to Nikkatsu’s crime films for the stories. That springs to mind when watching Buichi Saito’s Anego (Elder Sister), a feminine yakuza drama with very little action in it. Unfortunately it’s not a very memorable story, nor is there anything special about the execution. Akira Kobayashi pops up a number of times to save the day, always just on time.
Note: IMDb lists an English aka The Woman Gambler, but that's likely to be a mistake. There are no gamblers in the film.
Bloody Fists 2.5/5 Entertaining basher with Chen Sing in a heroic role as a mysterious loner who helps protect a small town's supply of dragon herb against the evil japanese led by Chen-Ku-Tai (and his myriad doubles) the Crash Cinema dvd is letterboxed and english dubbed only.
Kung Fu:The Invisible Fist 2/5 Another heroic Chen Sing role,here playing an undercover cop who infiltrates a gang which among other things is heavily involved in sex trafficking. and of course there's the requisite evil japanese led by Yusaki Kurata.not as good as Bloody Fists,the plot's pretty stupid even for this type of movie,of course it has it's famous 25 minute climactic fight between Sing & Kurata which is entertaining but punctuated by Kurata's constant running away from the scene of battle which becomes funny after a while the Crash dvd is in pretty bad shape with some horrible green lines all over the screen at times.English dubbed and letterboxed.
Incredible Kung Fu Mission 3/5 Kung Fu riff on Dirty Dozen,John Liu leads a rag tag team of fighters to try and rescue a dignatory held in a fortress guarded by Robert Tai.Very entertaining,the Crash dvd looks in decent shape,letterboxed but english dub only.
Kung Fu The Invisible Fist (which I'm sure is meant to be The Invincible Fist) is one of my faves - I love the grittier atmosphere of these early Chen Sing movies.
bradavon wrote:
but I guess you're more intelligence than me.
Ivan Drago wrote:Kung Fu The Invisible Fist (which I'm sure is meant to be The Invincible Fist) is one of my faves - I love the grittier atmosphere of these early Chen Sing movies.
Have you come across a better release than the Crash one? i know it's widescreen but it's in pretty shitty shape...
Enter The Fat Dragon 3/5 Sammo channels Bruce Lee to a T in this comedy laced with some great fight scenes and random use of Way/Enter music the Crash Cinema dvd is letterboxed with imbedded hard at times to read subs,sadly it still remains probably the only half decent version available to english speakers