Markgway wrote:The reviews have been piss poor and the film opened at #3 in Hong Kong.
A huge disappointment for Jackie... but then he brings all his bad luck on himself.
LOL and it broke records in the mainland (so far best opening day, and one of only 3 films to break 200 m yuan in its first week) and will probably break more. And it's doing very well in the other territories.
Fuck the early reviews and the HK audience.
They're damning and pre judging Jackie like a certain bullets member
luckystars wrote:LOL and it broke records in the mainland (so far best opening day, and one of only 3 films to break 200 m yuan in its first week) and will probably break more. And it's doing very well in the other territories.
Fuck the early reviews and the HK audience.
They're damning and pre judging Jackie like a certain bullets member
Come on, man. How far can you stretch your fan loyalty? Only reason film has done so well in China is because of Jackie's notorious ass-kissing. That the film didn't do well in Hong Kong is very significant, given the budget and hype it should've been a massive local grosser. I wasn't impressed by the trailers, but the reviews have been worse than I expected, and have pretty much confirmed my fears. Of course I'll decide for myself at some stage, but you'd be a fool to expect anything good from this turkey.
I was never impressed with the trailer TBH, and even now that I'm in Hong Kong and it's playing in theaters right now, I'm much more looking forward to Wong Kar Wai's The Grandmasters, which is coming out in 2 weeks orso.
There's also a Chow Yun Fat movie playing, as well as a The Flying Guillotines movie, both of which look more interesting than Jackie's crappy looking film.
As far as his popularity in Hong Kong goes, it seems he mostly makes the headlines with ridiculous statements ('I threatened triads with guns and grenades'), or ignorant statements ('Hong Kong is a city of protest' which many viewed as Jackie opposing free speech).
Personally, I don't really care about all that stuff. Jackie can be as stupid as he wants to be. I just feel he's had a very poor output the last 15 years orso, and this movie doesn't look as any kind of comeback what so ever.
About it becoming a huge box-office hit in China: He IS still the biggest asian movie star, he HAS been pampering to Chinese people, and there are now more and more people in China with disposable income.
I was there, the big BNB blackout of november, 2008. We lost many that day...
No, it's his Ip Man movie Which looks pretty good judging from the latest trailer.
I'm not expecting a great martial arts movie. I'm just expecting a very good Wong Kar Wai movie. If it also delivers in the martial arts department, that will be a plus for me
I was there, the big BNB blackout of november, 2008. We lost many that day...