Markgway wrote:BASTERDS was very uneven, some great scenes, but some really terrible ones too.
I agree it wasn't as 'perfect' as his other films. I think after Death Proof's very poor reception Tarantino's ego had taken a knock (a bad thing). IMO he shouldn't have listened to the studio, and instead gone back and spent more time on the film.
I actually prefer Death Proof to Inglourious Basterds; it's overlong, but effective in what Tarantino set out to do (chick flick meets gearhead exploitation). The problem with Tarantino is a lack of anyone willing to reign in his self-indulgence. Reservoir Dogs was 95 mins; Django Unchained 165m.
I rate Death proof as his weakest, decent enough but the pacing is pretty awful. Inglorious Basterds I found quite frustrating when I originally watched it, so wasn't impressed, but subsequent viewings have changed my opinion of it.
I've only seen Basterds once; the stuff with Brad Pitt and Eli Roth (apparently the scariest jew Tarantino could find) made me want to tear my eyes out, but the stuff with Michael Fassbinder, Melanie Laurent was mostly very good. A real uneven hodge-podge of a movie.
Reservoir Dogs: 4.5/5
Pulp Fiction: 5/5
Jackie Brown: 5/5
Kill Bill Vol. 1: 5/5
Kill Bill Vol. 2: 5/5
Death Proof: 4.5/5
Inglorious Basters: 4.5/5
The funny thing is, I go into every new Tarantiono film thinking "now he fucked up, but I better make sure anyway" because somehow they always seem underwhelming to me before actually seeing them...
This is ridiculous. Living in a country of 126 million people I miss all the movie culture greateness on offer in a country of 5 million...
Now my favorite film festival Night Visions is holding a spagetti western event in Helsinki. Fighting Fists of Shangai Joe, Cut Thoats Nine, The Hellbenders etc. All from 35mm (or 16mm) of course. Many of these you can't even get on dvd (at least on decent editions). Fuuuck.
As for Django, I would kinda agree. This was the first time I was underwhelmed by a Tarantino soundtrack. The only grand moment was the OP credits with the Django theme. But then there was some embrarrasing rap crap later on.
Otherwise the film... good, with some nice performances (DiCaprio, Jackson, Waltz) but Django's character is quite forgettable. The film is Tarantino's least impressive.
Coincidence or not, I was never the biggest fan of the original Django either. Seemed to fall somewhere between the poetic cruelty of The Great Silence and the mythical cinema of Sergio Leone. The film has a lot of supporters, but for me that alignment just wasn't such a big hit (I still like the film, though).
Tarantino just picks whatever music he feels works for the individual scene. Doesn't matter to him if it's incongruous with the rest of the movie. Composers aren't used to that scattershot approach. I'll catch up with the movie soon enough and post my verdict here.