Spirited Away aspect ratio question

China, Hong Kong, Japan, Korea, Thailand, etc
gasteropod
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 6868
Joined: 03 Nov 2004, 18:16

Spirited Away aspect ratio question

Post by gasteropod »

I've just received the R2 of Spirited Away and it is 2.00:1, like the American and Australian releases, but its original aspect ratio is 1.85:1 which is on the Asian DVDs. Why is it presented like this, with a thin black bar at the top of the image? Do we lose any picture information?

Thanks
tom2681
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 5577
Joined: 25 Oct 2004, 15:18
Location: Where you'll never find me

Post by tom2681 »

I know that some releases of Spirited Away are shrinked to compensate for overscan. It is possible that the R2 is a 1:85 transfer, but with black bars on the side (that you can't see because of the overscan).
I used to be "the man who loves the movies you hate".
Now I'm just "that weird french guy with a cat avatar who comes to BnB once a year for no reason and then disappears again".
gasteropod
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 6868
Joined: 03 Nov 2004, 18:16

Post by gasteropod »

Hmm, if this is so, then great! Although the thin black bar at the top is kind of annoying...
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 24430
Joined: 27 Oct 2004, 19:30

Post by bradavon »

gasteropod
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 6868
Joined: 03 Nov 2004, 18:16

Post by gasteropod »

As I already mentioned :P
memetic
Jade Tiger
Posts: 156
Joined: 28 Nov 2004, 01:44

Post by memetic »

I remember hearing that Ghibli masters are generally underscanned (dunno why) and they're not the only Japanese company to do it. I'd say that's what it is and not a case of cropping or squashing.
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 24430
Joined: 27 Oct 2004, 19:30

Post by bradavon »

Isn't that so people with TVs won't lose any picture information, due to overscan?

I hear it annoys projection owners as overscan doesn't affect projectors.
memetic
Jade Tiger
Posts: 156
Joined: 28 Nov 2004, 01:44

Post by memetic »

Yeah that's true. Overscan was that area of disposable image that could be lost in those old and very curvy TV tubes. These days, TVs seem to overscan a lot less, particularly plasma screens. So on these screens and projectors you could see some pillarboxing (black bars on one or two sides).

From memory Dark Water is underscanned (you'd get it on the Tartan disc). In fact that one was weird as the aspect ratio changed slightly about two thirds into the movie.
gasteropod
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 6868
Joined: 03 Nov 2004, 18:16

Post by gasteropod »

My widescreen has overscan :(
EvaUnit02
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 9150
Joined: 08 Feb 2005, 14:39
Location: Wellywood, Kiwiland

Post by EvaUnit02 »

gasteropod wrote:My widescreen has overscan :(
Mine too. :cry: