Codefree Blu Ray Player?
- thelostdragon
- Bruce Lee's Fist
- Posts: 7059
- Joined: 29 Oct 2004, 23:36
- Location: Basin City
- Contact:
Codefree Blu Ray Player?
Hey,
yeah I know, it's been a while. I was quite busy with my personal life and with my professional life as well.
Anyway, I recently got an LG HDTV (Full HD) and I'm now looking for a Blu Ray Player with which I can play BluRay discs from all three regions, A, B and C. I've googled, but everywhere I looked it said that there are only some BR players that can be switched to codefree in terms of DVDs. Any idea if there are any good players that are codefree for BR discs?
yeah I know, it's been a while. I was quite busy with my personal life and with my professional life as well.
Anyway, I recently got an LG HDTV (Full HD) and I'm now looking for a Blu Ray Player with which I can play BluRay discs from all three regions, A, B and C. I've googled, but everywhere I looked it said that there are only some BR players that can be switched to codefree in terms of DVDs. Any idea if there are any good players that are codefree for BR discs?
- IronMonkey
- Royal Tramp
- Posts: 1950
- Joined: 08 Dec 2004, 16:49
Re: Codefree Blu Ray Player?
As far as I'm aware, you'll have to get a player chipped to play multi-region BDs. I got my Panasonic a couple of years back from MultiRegionMagic...
TH-42PX80 | DMP-BD50 (MR BD & DVD) | SA-XR55 | SB-TP20 | XBox 360 Slim 250GB | XBox (XBMC, 160GB) | Zotac XBMC HTPC | Gaming PC | 8TB Media Server
-
gasteropod
- Bruce Lee's Fist
- Posts: 6868
- Joined: 03 Nov 2004, 18:16
Re: Codefree Blu Ray Player?
Nice to see you LD, a couple of us on here have a Limit Blu-ray player that can be made region free simply by entering a code via the remote control. I don't know if they're still available though, I don't think HMV sells them anymore (which is where I got mine from).
-
bradavon
- Bruce Lee's Fist
- Posts: 24430
- Joined: 27 Oct 2004, 20:30
Re: Codefree Blu Ray Player?
Unlike DVD Players, there's no region-free Player for BDs but some can be switched from Region A, B or C. The majority are chip based. My LG is software based but it's a BD/HD-DVD Player, so I doubt you'll want that (if you can still get it). Like the Limit it's done using a code on the remote.
I've no idea about Germany but in The UK, Multi-region Magic (as IM says) for established makes or players like Limit (plus others under the same brand) for a cheap sub £100 Player but reportedly very good. The Limit Players are software based.
I've no idea about Germany but in The UK, Multi-region Magic (as IM says) for established makes or players like Limit (plus others under the same brand) for a cheap sub £100 Player but reportedly very good. The Limit Players are software based.
-
gasteropod
- Bruce Lee's Fist
- Posts: 6868
- Joined: 03 Nov 2004, 18:16
Re: Codefree Blu Ray Player?
Ah yeah I forgot that I'd need to use a code to turn it back to region B, because I only use it for region A's you see, also it did become region free for DVDs.
-
bradavon
- Bruce Lee's Fist
- Posts: 24430
- Joined: 27 Oct 2004, 20:30
Re: Codefree Blu Ray Player?
Region free for DVDs is handy. Thankfully most discs are still region free, so I've only got to switch it from RA/RB sometimes. You have no Region Bs at all?
-
gasteropod
- Bruce Lee's Fist
- Posts: 6868
- Joined: 03 Nov 2004, 18:16
Re: Codefree Blu Ray Player?
I use my PS3 as my default BD player, and the Limit whenever I get a region A (usually Criterions hah).
-
bradavon
- Bruce Lee's Fist
- Posts: 24430
- Joined: 27 Oct 2004, 20:30
Re: Codefree Blu Ray Player?
Is the PS3 better quality?
-
gasteropod
- Bruce Lee's Fist
- Posts: 6868
- Joined: 03 Nov 2004, 18:16
Re: Codefree Blu Ray Player?
Yes because the Limit unfortunately adds edge enhancement.
-
bradavon
- Bruce Lee's Fist
- Posts: 24430
- Joined: 27 Oct 2004, 20:30
Re: Codefree Blu Ray Player?
There's no sharpness control? How annoying. Does it add it excessively?
-
gasteropod
- Bruce Lee's Fist
- Posts: 6868
- Joined: 03 Nov 2004, 18:16
Re: Codefree Blu Ray Player?
The fact that it adds it at all is excessive to me, I don't know how to measure it tbh. I don't let it bother me too much because the machine was so cheap though.
-
saltysam
- Bruce Lee's Fist
- Posts: 9357
- Joined: 27 Oct 2004, 19:27
Re: Codefree Blu Ray Player?
Go for a chipped Oppo player LD,they are superb (but pricey). i'm not just saying this because i have one,go on avforums here and the usa and you'll see it confirmed.They have a new model coming very soon which is allegedly going to be awesome.
working class blu-ray fan
- thelostdragon
- Bruce Lee's Fist
- Posts: 7059
- Joined: 29 Oct 2004, 23:36
- Location: Basin City
- Contact:
Re: Codefree Blu Ray Player?
Thanks everybody. I found a couple of modded players, but most of them only played Region A and B. Not C.
I'll let you know which one I'm going to go for.
I knew I could count on my old friend at Bullets.
I'll let you know which one I'm going to go for.
I knew I could count on my old friend at Bullets.
-
gasteropod
- Bruce Lee's Fist
- Posts: 6868
- Joined: 03 Nov 2004, 18:16
Re: Codefree Blu Ray Player?
Would you really be wanting to play region C though?
-
bradavon
- Bruce Lee's Fist
- Posts: 24430
- Joined: 27 Oct 2004, 20:30
Re: Codefree Blu Ray Player?
I've seen some of those. It's odd not to also create a chip that supports Region C but Region C covers parts of the world it's unlikely you'll ever buy a disc from and if you did, it's likely to be region free. Can you see India bothering with region coding for example? -
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blu-ray#Region_codes
Still if price is the same, you may as well get Region A-C.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blu-ray#Region_codes
Still if price is the same, you may as well get Region A-C.
- thelostdragon
- Bruce Lee's Fist
- Posts: 7059
- Joined: 29 Oct 2004, 23:36
- Location: Basin City
- Contact:
Re: Codefree Blu Ray Player?
Oh wow. I see. I always thought All of Asia was region C. I got a wrong map then. So Korean and HK discs are region A. Cool.
-
bradavon
- Bruce Lee's Fist
- Posts: 24430
- Joined: 27 Oct 2004, 20:30
Re: Codefree Blu Ray Player?
Region Codes seem to follow a more economic and political than geographical path. Just look at DVDs: Japan R2, China R6, South East Asia/Hong Kong/Taiwan/South Korea R3 and South Asia (India/Pakistan)/Mongola/North Korea R5. BD follows the same path but simplified.
