Shingster wrote:It's not unusual for the extended versions of HK action classics to be provide more logic than the shorter HK release as well, Dragons Forever is another case in point where the longer cut with Yuen Biao pyschiatrist sessions makes far more sense of his actions in the film than in the Hk release. You also have the case where a director's cut isn't always regarded as the best version by the fans, the international cut of Ashes of Time seems to be preferred over the HK cut by WKW for instance.
The newest director cut of Ashes of Time is mostly considered worse that the old cut, isn't it!?
The differences between the old HK cut and the old int. cut weren't that big, were they? Wasn't the HK cut rushed so wasn't the original int. cut the actual director's cut!?
I was there, the big BNB blackout of november, 2008. We lost many that day...
The Redux cut is pretty close to the international cut, WKW famously had problems editing the film for the original HK release and with Redux now many fans consider the later international cut to have been further worked on by WKW and closer to what he ultimately wanted from the film. Personally I thought the difference between the HK and International cut were quite big, less action for one!
Shingster wrote:The Redux cut is pretty close to the international cut, WKW famously had problems editing the film for the original HK release and with Redux now many fans consider the later international cut to have been further worked on by WKW and closer to what he ultimately wanted from the film. Personally I thought the difference between the HK and International cut were quite big, less action for one!
I have only seen the Siren VHS of the movie, so I have no idea, but from what I heard at the time about the differences, I thought they weren't that severe. No idea which version the Siren VHS is.
Most of the criticism about the new Redux Ashes of Time, was about the remixed music I believe. I'm a HUGE fan of the Siren version with it's music, so I'm certainly not looking forward to hearing the remixed music.
I was there, the big BNB blackout of november, 2008. We lost many that day...
Well I must admit it's been a few years since I saw the International Cut myself so my memory may be rusty, but I recall the changes being much more significant than the 6min runtime difference between itself and the HK cut would have you believe, and certainly more significant than say the difference between the HK & Taiwanese cuts of Fist of Legend. I seem to recall someone did an in-depth comparison between the 2 cuts years ago and there was a link on the AsianDVDGuide, but I can't seem to find it right now so I'll just quote a post from feihong over there who made this remark after watching the International Cut:
feihong wrote:Saw the international cut of the film today for the first time. My god, it was lousy!!! LOUSY!!! But it looked a lot like what people are saying the Redux is. The fights are gone, the opening is cleaned up. Missing is Leung Kar-Fai against the horse thieves in the beginning, which is a terrible things to lose. Missing is Bridget's legend as the "defeat-seeking loner" and all the footage of her blowing up the lake and screaming. Leslie fighting in the beginning is gone, and Leslie fighting at the end. The film ends in the international cut on Maggie Cheung, which, while lovely, is totally beside the point.
Thanks for that info, Shing. I guess I have seen the HK version then. It would be a damn shame if those scenes are all gone. What a bastards. Once again a classic has gotten completely assraped*.
(* = I'm too depressed, so you guys can insert your own Brad-joke here )
I was there, the big BNB blackout of november, 2008. We lost many that day...
It's a real shame there is no even passable DVD of the HK cut. I've yet to watch my Redux BD, so cannot comment on that one. I used to own the HK DVD and boy it was hard work to follow (dreadful picture, even worse subs).
Thanks Ricky. That menu design, is identical to the HKL.
I do wish in 2010 yanks would release about other regions. Comparing the DD to Fox Lorber is just stupid. It needs to be compared against the HKL and Fortune Star (+ any other anamorphic decent DVDs).
Two lines for the picture quality, is also stupid too! What no Cantonese DD5.1 though? Sure it's great to see Cantonese Mono but not at the expense of the remix. Both should bloody be included! HKL's DD5.1 is decent and crucially not in your face. I'm happy with the HKL personally.
The HKL 5.1 mixes sounded fine to me. I am a bit disappointed that DD completely left out remixes because The Killer is an action movie and it could've used the extra kick. But people have been bitching forever about bad remixes and the exclusion of mono tracks so I guess no more remixes for future catalogue releases.
RickyTheDragonSteamboat wrote:The HKL 5.1 mixes sounded fine to me. I am a bit disappointed that DD completely left out remixes because The Killer is an action movie and it could've used the extra kick.
Exactly. I'd rather this, than OTT/Anchor Bay style remixes any day though.