Gladiator - New "SE" (?) News.. aka SE's no-one as

Non-Asian Film & Release Discussion, and Serious Film-Related Discussion
romerojpg
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 8520
Joined: 26 Oct 2004, 13:12
Location: CLOSE TO YOUR MAMMA

Post by romerojpg »

The normal price is only 19.99 in UK, so why pay much at all? it will be under 15 quid now and a tenner in a few months or less. :) its not as if we all aint seen it.
User avatar
grim_tales
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 22164
Joined: 25 Oct 2004, 17:34
Location: St. Albans, UK

Post by grim_tales »

You're right, the R2 is £14.99 @ Play.
R1 has a better cover though ;)
saltysam
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 9357
Joined: 27 Oct 2004, 18:27

Post by saltysam »

grim_tales wrote:You're right, the R2 is £14.99 @ Play.
R1 has a better cover though ;)
ntsc dvd is better than pal imo and worth the extra £3
User avatar
grim_tales
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 22164
Joined: 25 Oct 2004, 17:34
Location: St. Albans, UK

Post by grim_tales »

According to CD-WOW the r1 will have DTS? :?
romerojpg
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 8520
Joined: 26 Oct 2004, 13:12
Location: CLOSE TO YOUR MAMMA

Post by romerojpg »

It wont CDWOW are very bad at specs :) very very bad, they dont even know which region dvd they are selling most the time :roll:
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 24430
Joined: 27 Oct 2004, 19:30

Post by bradavon »

grim_tales wrote:Brad have you found out whether one DVD will have DTS yet?
Nope I'm afraid not. My hopes are on the Korean version now and beore you ask no I don't know anything about it nor has it been confirmed.

TBH DTS or not DTS I'll ONLY be getting this if the 17 minutes adds lots to the film if not then no thanks. I'm happy to go by reviews on this one.

The extras on the current 2 discer look better IMO. The History Channel making of is tops.

p.s - If the DVDs are identical then it's the PAL DVD for me, unless the NTSC DVD is much cheaper.
EvaUnit02
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 9150
Joined: 08 Feb 2005, 14:39
Location: Wellywood, Kiwiland

Post by EvaUnit02 »

bradavon wrote:p.s - If the DVDs are identical then it's the PAL DVD for me, unless the NTSC DVD is much cheaper.
Chris Gould from dvdanswers (he has advanced check discs or something) confirmed that the R2 UK (I wouldn't be surprised if it applied to all the other PAL releases too) ONLY has the extended cut.

The old R2 2-discer from 2001 w/ DTS is cheap on cd-wow, I'll get that eventually. (PAL DVD w/ DTS-ES 6.1 matrix vs. NTSC release w/ DTS-ES 6.1 discrete? I'll take the better price and PAL format thanks, one extra channel which I can't use on my current hardware anyway is no big loss).

Source
Chris Gould wrote:
The R1 has both versions of movie via seamless branching. So I doubt the R2 will be any different.
You're wrong, as it's just the extended cut. I'd also like to point out that this is yet another disc to feature the patronising, enforced anti-piracy propaganda. That's right folks, you can't skip that s**t...
Also Chris confirms that Ridley prefers the original theatrical cut, so in other words it's just marketing ploy the supposed Alien 2003 alternative cut that Fox marketed as a "Director's Cut" (Scott prefers the original Alien '79 TC. As do I - the 2003 alternative cut shows the gives the alien more on-screen time and completely fucks up the alien's reproductive cycle by adding back the Dallas cocooned scene, thus making the Cameron's Alien Queen an inpossibility.)
Chris Gould wrote:Well Ridley Scott himself says it's not a 'director's cut' in his intro; he prefers the theatrical version.
Last edited by EvaUnit02 on 21 Aug 2005, 11:36, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
grim_tales
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 22164
Joined: 25 Oct 2004, 17:34
Location: St. Albans, UK

Post by grim_tales »

I didnt say the first quote Eva, Brad did
EvaUnit02
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 9150
Joined: 08 Feb 2005, 14:39
Location: Wellywood, Kiwiland

Post by EvaUnit02 »

grim_tales wrote:I didnt say the first quote Eva, Brad did
Fixed.
User avatar
grim_tales
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 22164
Joined: 25 Oct 2004, 17:34
Location: St. Albans, UK

Post by grim_tales »

Thanks :)
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 24430
Joined: 27 Oct 2004, 19:30

Post by bradavon »

What does this mean: "I'd also like to point out that this is yet another disc to feature the patronising, enforced anti-piracy propaganda. That's right folks, you can't skip that s**t..." ???

How does Chris know Scott prefers the theatrical cut? Does he say so?

That said I prefer to decide for myself but will get the R1 if I buy it. I'm waiting for reviews first to see what's been added in the extended cut and if it improves the film.
ReconFive
King of Beggars
Posts: 519
Joined: 26 Dec 2004, 05:56
Location: Bangkok, Thailand

Post by ReconFive »

Yes if anyone has seen the extended cut please post your thoughts on it, i'm really curious about the new scenes and if they benefit the already great film.

I am very disappointed that the new R1 extended edition does not have DTS. The new footage will have to be absolutly outstanding for me to replace my signature series.
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 24430
Joined: 27 Oct 2004, 19:30

Post by bradavon »

grim_tales wrote:According to CD-WOW the r1 will have DTS? :?
According to CD WOW so did Ong-Bak. They've sinced changed their listing.
ReconFive wrote:I am very disappointed that the new R1 extended edition does not have DTS. The new footage will have to be absolutly outstanding for me to replace my signature series.
Me to. The extras look better on the old DVD.

Quantity doesn't always make quality!
EvaUnit02
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 9150
Joined: 08 Feb 2005, 14:39
Location: Wellywood, Kiwiland

Post by EvaUnit02 »

bradavon wrote:What does this mean: "I'd also like to point out that this is yet another disc to feature the patronising, enforced anti-piracy propaganda. That's right folks, you can't skip that s**t..." ???
It's probably a rubbish little 30 sec clip which says "Piracy is a crime"/"Piracy supports terrorism"/etc. I've got a really crap unskippable MTV-edited one at the start-up of my R2 Casino SE from Universal. I'm pretty sure that Universal is distributing this new Gladiator edition and not Sony who did the original R2/4 releases.
bradavon wrote:How does Chris know Scott prefers the theatrical cut? Does he say so?
Read more carefully:-
Chris Gould wrote:Well Ridley Scott himself says it's not a 'director's cut' in his intro; he prefers the theatrical version.
It looks like Scott recorded an intro to the extended cut to explain it's existence (probably won't admit it's just an attempt to wring more cash from people though), like he did for the Alien 2003 alternative cut.

Personally I'm skipping this new Gladiator edition altogether and I've ordered the original R1 2-disc SE off Amazon UK Marketplace for cheap. Firstly, I want DTS. The extra 20 mins will probably kill the pacing and I guess it's just more footage of Joaquin Phoenix lusting over his sister or whatever (I've never seen the deleted scenes on the old DVD.). I may bother seeing it if it's more battle footage, but the film doesn't need anymore character development IMO. Gladiator feels like a complete film Gladiator, unlike Kingdom of Heaven where I felt huge chunks were missing.

EDIT: Yeah, these scenes sound like they don't add anything. It's looking like Apocalypse Now Redux IMO, conveying the exact same message in an unnecessarily longer amount of time.
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 24430
Joined: 27 Oct 2004, 19:30

Post by bradavon »

Personally I only had problem with the end, it was a little weak.

I so wish we'd seen his armies of the north. He mentioned them a couple of times but we never actually saw them.

As for KOH I hear it was cut extensively. Which would make lots of sense as it's such a wasted opportunity, that said the battles were dull. Something I didn't expect from Scott. The two battles were much more exciting in Alexander. That said 2.5 hours should be plenty of time to create a film. I feel Scott was sloppy when making KOH. A 2.5 hour film shouldn't feel cut.

I'm not getting the 2 disc KOH as it's an okay film at best but will get the 4 disc uncut version if that surfaces (only rumours so far).
romerojpg
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 8520
Joined: 26 Oct 2004, 13:12
Location: CLOSE TO YOUR MAMMA

Post by romerojpg »

The UK dvd is under 11 quid on the Woolworths site :)
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 24430
Joined: 27 Oct 2004, 19:30

Post by bradavon »

Who'd have thought Woolworths having a bargain.

Come on reviews.
saltysam
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 9357
Joined: 27 Oct 2004, 18:27

Post by saltysam »

i have the region 1 but it's so long since i saw the original i wouldn't know what was/wasn't a new scene.
romerojpg
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 8520
Joined: 26 Oct 2004, 13:12
Location: CLOSE TO YOUR MAMMA

Post by romerojpg »

Most titles are cheaper than any other place at Woolworths esspecially with the 10% off link.
EvaUnit02
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 9150
Joined: 08 Feb 2005, 14:39
Location: Wellywood, Kiwiland

Post by EvaUnit02 »

There's a review of the R2 up on dvdanswers.
User avatar
grim_tales
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 22164
Joined: 25 Oct 2004, 17:34
Location: St. Albans, UK

Post by grim_tales »

Brad, have you seen here?
According to this cover the Swedish release has or will have DTS, even though Axel have said no DTS?

Image

http://www.discshop.se/LIVE/shop/img/om ... /28166.jpg
romerojpg
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 8520
Joined: 26 Oct 2004, 13:12
Location: CLOSE TO YOUR MAMMA

Post by romerojpg »

Strange :D