The Grimster may have landed a job.. (kind of?!)

Literally. Unless it Should Go Elsewhere
User avatar
grim_tales
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 22164
Joined: 25 Oct 2004, 18:34
Location: St. Albans, UK

The Grimster may have landed a job.. (kind of?!)

Post by grim_tales »

Hey,

Went to something today (bit like a job interview) that could actually lead to a job working with the internet and something called "Search Engine Optimisation".
The guy I spoke too seemed a really nice bloke - part of me is excited about this but another part is thinking "Just WTF have I let myself in for?" and it goes over my head. Now I'll have to do lots of reading... :? (Those Dummies books) :)
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 24430
Joined: 27 Oct 2004, 20:30

Post by bradavon »

Has the job been confirmed? Best not to be too excited just yet. Otherwise well done. Your first job right?
User avatar
grim_tales
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 22164
Joined: 25 Oct 2004, 18:34
Location: St. Albans, UK

Post by grim_tales »

Yeah.
Well its not been confirmed just yet, I'll have to read books first etc and see if I can do it.
It would be my first job, yeah :)
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 24430
Joined: 27 Oct 2004, 20:30

Post by bradavon »

But they've offered it to you, generally speaking? If you think there's a chance you can do it, go for it. A job which is dead easy is boring but of course you have to have a chance of being able to do it.
saltysam
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 9357
Joined: 27 Oct 2004, 19:27

Post by saltysam »

there are very few people in my experience who actually "enjoy" their job.to me it's a task i undertake to give me a decent standard of living.
working class blu-ray fan
Yi-Long
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 8616
Joined: 26 Oct 2004, 13:46
Location: Alkmaar, Holland

Post by Yi-Long »

Hand or Blow?
Image
I was there, the big BNB blackout of november, 2008. We lost many that day...
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 24430
Joined: 27 Oct 2004, 20:30

Post by bradavon »

saltysam wrote:there are very few people in my experience who actually "enjoy" their job. to me it's a task i undertake to give me a decent standard of living.
Definitely. I don't believe Grim or I were saying otherwise.
User avatar
grim_tales
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 22164
Joined: 25 Oct 2004, 18:34
Location: St. Albans, UK

Post by grim_tales »

Very funny Yi :D
I think I may be able to do it once I learn, the guy spoke about writing blogs too (a few a week at first or something?), I'm pretty sure I could do that :) I've never written one before but I'm good at writing.
Yi-Long
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 8616
Joined: 26 Oct 2004, 13:46
Location: Alkmaar, Holland

Post by Yi-Long »

grim_tales wrote:Very funny Yi :D
I think I may be able to do it once I learn, the guy spoke about writing blogs too (a few a week at first or something?), I'm pretty sure I could do that :) I've never written one before but I'm good at writing.
Or you could just post green smiley-faces on the blog all the time :D

Anyway, congratulations Grim, and don't worry about it: if it doesn't work out you can always quit. Don't keep doing it if it's something you're not OK with. :)
Image
I was there, the big BNB blackout of november, 2008. We lost many that day...
EvaUnit02
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 9150
Joined: 08 Feb 2005, 14:39
Location: Wellywood, Kiwiland
Contact:

Post by EvaUnit02 »

My advice to Grim would be to stick with for as long as possible. The key is to get something on your CV.

I'm currently in the job market myself and finding it is tough. Experience is everything and a lot of employers won't even give you a look in if you don't have it.
I didn't do any part time work during my teen years and I'm really suffering now because of it.

The best time to be looking for work is when you already have employment. Knowing what I do now, I would've looking for work before I was made redundant from my old job back in August.
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 24430
Joined: 27 Oct 2004, 20:30

Post by bradavon »

I didn't know you were unemployed Eva. You've been out of work since August? I can relate to that one, flipping awful.

There are something like 2 million people out of work in The UK. That's the highest it's been in years. Prior to the financial crisis The UK had one of the strongest economies and unemployment rates, lower than Germany for example.
grim_tales wrote:I think I may be able to do it once I learn, the guy spoke about writing blogs too (a few a week at first or something?), I'm pretty sure I could do that :) I've never written one before but I'm good at writing.
If it's something you insanely cannot do that's one thing but if it's something that is just a little tough, stick with it. Eva is spot on, experiencing and "filling out" your CV is everything.

That and/or recent/relevant qualifications of course. What GCSEs (basic education for those who don't know) are completely useless after a few years work. I don't put my actual grades on my CV, as they were rubbish and I've never even been asked. All they care about is my recent and/or relevant qualifications plus experience.

Certainly don't give up if it's just a little difficult. You'll soon get bored if your job is a dodle.
Yi-Long wrote:Anyway, congratulations Grim, and don't worry about it: if it doesn't work out you can always quit. Don't keep doing it if it's something you're not OK with. :)
Obviously if it's making Grim ill or severely depressed that's one thing but (especially in the current climate) on the other hand you cannot afford to jack a job in just because it's a little hard work or boring. As Salty says, it's incredibly rare to find a job you 100% love. I like parts of my job but other parts or incredibly boring but I muck on.

There are areas I can progress into and hope to start pursing those this year. Now that I've been at my company a decent amount of time.

Also don't assume the job you're initially given will be your lot in life. If you prove yourself, show you're a hard work, most employers notice this and will give you more rewarding work to do.
saltysam
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 9357
Joined: 27 Oct 2004, 19:27

Post by saltysam »

Are the wages any good Grim?
working class blu-ray fan
User avatar
grim_tales
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 22164
Joined: 25 Oct 2004, 18:34
Location: St. Albans, UK

Post by grim_tales »

I dunno Sam, no idea. I didnt ask about them. I think you get what companies will pay you (or something like that) :?
That's interesting Brad, I used to leave off the GSCE grades on my CV but then was told to put them back on :?
I'm sure I can write a blog though. I'm just using this as an example but I've seen blogs that are reviews of last nights TV (eg BGT, X-Factor, Ashes To Ashes) or something, not saying it'll all be like that but I spend enough time on here so I think i could write that sort of stuff :D ;)
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 24430
Joined: 27 Oct 2004, 20:30

Post by bradavon »

grim_tales wrote:I dunno Sam, no idea. I didnt ask about them.
You have no idea at all? You should ask. For all you know, they could be trying to rip you off, unlikely but you do need to know the salary. Not asking makes you look weak and besides they expect you to ask. It's a fair question. Asking doesn't mean you expect more.
grim_tales wrote:That's interesting Brad, I used to leave off the GSCE grades on my CV but then was told to put them back on :?
Well I have nearly a decade of experience, no offence but you don't. Besides they're on there but I don't mention the actual grades. Are yours A to C? If so, why not put them on there.
grim_tales wrote:not saying it'll all be like that but I spend enough time on here so I think i could write that sort of stuff :D ;)
They'll expect your English to be perfect, not that I'm saying yours isn't.
User avatar
grim_tales
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 22164
Joined: 25 Oct 2004, 18:34
Location: St. Albans, UK

Post by grim_tales »

Most of my GCSE's are A-C, 1 is a D though.
I'm not working FOR anyone (I think?), it was a misunderstanding, the guy I was speaking to is just helping me so I can run the business myself with this other person :?
saltysam
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 9357
Joined: 27 Oct 2004, 19:27

Post by saltysam »

grim_tales wrote: I'm not working FOR anyone (I think?), it was a misunderstanding, the guy I was speaking to is just helping me so I can run the business myself with this other person :?
i'm confused now :? so you have to earn your wages yourself,ie there is no salary involved?sounds like a comission based thing to me.be careful.
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 24430
Joined: 27 Oct 2004, 20:30

Post by bradavon »

As Salty says. Explain? It sounds a bit dodgy to me too. No offence but when it comes to work, you literally cannot afford to "think" anything. You need to know exactly where you stand.

No one will mind you asking questions, to clarify things.
User avatar
grim_tales
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 22164
Joined: 25 Oct 2004, 18:34
Location: St. Albans, UK

Post by grim_tales »

I'm going to read the Dummies book and see where that takes me, see if I understand it :?
saltysam
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 9357
Joined: 27 Oct 2004, 19:27

Post by saltysam »

No offence Grim but i haven't got a clue what this job offer is supposed to be :? it sounds totally oddball-go away and read a book-wtf!
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 24430
Joined: 27 Oct 2004, 20:30

Post by bradavon »

I think Grim is taking the initiative and reading the book, instead of being told to read it.

Are you going to be writing a blog? (if so, about what?) or optimising a search engine? (if so, which one?). They're two different things. Which Dummies book? There are loads.

Is it a blog on how to optimise search engines? And the book you have is about said search engines? You've still not said, how you exactly get paid for it?
saltysam
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 9357
Joined: 27 Oct 2004, 19:27

Post by saltysam »

Where did you hear about this positon? was it advertised in the Job Centre?
User avatar
grim_tales
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 22164
Joined: 25 Oct 2004, 18:34
Location: St. Albans, UK

Post by grim_tales »

The book is called Search Engine Optimisation for Dummies.
I think I'll be doing both, Brad. I think my mum set up the interview/meeting through someone she goes on walks with. It was far less formal then I thought it would be.

http://www.deeho.co.uk/search_engine_optimization.shtml

I'm not working for THAT company per se, its just an example to show what SEO is/what I may be doing. [/url]
saltysam
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 9357
Joined: 27 Oct 2004, 19:27

Re: The Grimster may have landed a job.. (kind of?!)

Post by saltysam »

What become of this Grim?
working class blu-ray fan
User avatar
grim_tales
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 22164
Joined: 25 Oct 2004, 18:34
Location: St. Albans, UK

Re: The Grimster may have landed a job.. (kind of?!)

Post by grim_tales »

Decided not to go through with it, it kinda went over my head I'm afraid, and the books I ordered never arrived.
I went to Channel 4/Film 4 recently and also may be doing the singing stuff a bit more (not at Film 4 though).
saltysam
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 9357
Joined: 27 Oct 2004, 19:27

Re: The Grimster may have landed a job.. (kind of?!)

Post by saltysam »

grim_tales wrote: I went to Channel 4/Film 4 recently and also may be doing the singing stuff a bit more (not at Film 4 though).
Where are you going to sing?Clubs?Will you be earning good money doing it?
working class blu-ray fan
Post Reply