The Play.com Bargains Thread!

Sell Your Stuff, and What's on Sale
Post Reply
saltysam
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 9357
Joined: 27 Oct 2004, 19:27

Post by saltysam »

working class blu-ray fan
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 24430
Joined: 27 Oct 2004, 20:30

Post by bradavon »

Thanks Salty. Any bargains? I cannot really spot any.
User avatar
Markgway
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 20194
Joined: 18 Feb 2005, 02:04

Post by Markgway »

My Dad told me Zavvi were selling the new Indiana Jones on BD for £8.99.
Image
saltysam
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 9357
Joined: 27 Oct 2004, 19:27

Post by saltysam »

bradavon wrote:Thanks Salty. Any bargains? I cannot really spot any.
Death Proof,Reservoir Dogs,Planet Terror,Fearless,District 13, at £11 each aren't bad prices if you wanted two.
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 24430
Joined: 27 Oct 2004, 20:30

Post by bradavon »

Thanks Salty. DP and RD are tempting.
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 24430
Joined: 27 Oct 2004, 20:30

Post by bradavon »

Terminator 2 - USA SE BD - £12.99 -

http://www.playusa.com/DVD/Region_1/CAR ... ml?cur=513
saltysam
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 9357
Joined: 27 Oct 2004, 19:27

Post by saltysam »

someone posted on the dvdforums that this will be using the same transfer as the uk disc.not sure how accurate that is though.
working class blu-ray fan
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 24430
Joined: 27 Oct 2004, 20:30

Post by bradavon »

Let's hope not. That still leaves both cuts and the extras though.
gasteropod
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 6868
Joined: 03 Nov 2004, 18:16

Post by gasteropod »

I thought the new one was meant to be a new THX HD master or something, I wouldn't have thought the Optimum UK one was such a master. I'll be interested in seeing if it's true, though.
User avatar
IronMonkey
Royal Tramp
Posts: 1950
Joined: 08 Dec 2004, 16:49

Post by IronMonkey »

bradavon wrote:Terminator 2 - USA SE BD - £12.99 -

http://www.playusa.com/DVD/Region_1/CAR ... ml?cur=513
Aren't you running the risk of getting an English / French cover buying from PlayUSA?

The few times I did order from them put me off because of this, and I haven't bothered since. I've ordered this BD from MovieTyme for £14.99 - I'd rather pay that little bit more and get a decent cover.
TH-42PX80 | DMP-BD50 (MR BD & DVD) | SA-XR55 | SB-TP20 | XBox 360 Slim 250GB | XBox (XBMC, 160GB) | Zotac XBMC HTPC | Gaming PC | 8TB Media Server
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 24430
Joined: 27 Oct 2004, 20:30

Post by bradavon »

IronMonkey wrote:Aren't you running the risk of getting an English / French cover buying from PlayUSA?
Possibly. I'm not planning to buy it though. I may end up picking it up when it's cheap but am mostly happy with my HD-DVD. As it's T2 I will likely bend though, at a later date.

Not that dual covers bother me.

It's now £15.99 at MT. I'd rather save the cash, if it's just a dual cover. Play also have a French/English link, so I'd say the one above is English only:

http://www.playusa.com/DVD/Region_1/3-/ ... oduct.html

Both £12.99.
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 24430
Joined: 27 Oct 2004, 20:30

Post by bradavon »

gasteropod wrote:I thought the new one was meant to be a new THX HD master or something, I wouldn't have thought the Optimum UK one was such a master. I'll be interested in seeing if it's true, though.
According to DVD News sites, the USA one is at least. Not that I have any faith in THX. It means very little in reality.
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 24430
Joined: 27 Oct 2004, 20:30

Post by bradavon »

BDs for £9.99 -

http://www.play.com/DVD/Blu-ray/3-/2560 ... erprice=12

I went for:

Downfall
Reservoir Dogs: Petrol Can LE

I knew if I waited I'd get this for under a tenner!
gasteropod
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 6868
Joined: 03 Nov 2004, 18:16

Post by gasteropod »

I might get Planet Terror for £11.99.
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 24430
Joined: 27 Oct 2004, 20:30

Post by bradavon »

My Reservoir Dogs has shipped :D.
saltysam
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 9357
Joined: 27 Oct 2004, 19:27

Post by saltysam »

User avatar
grim_tales
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 22163
Joined: 25 Oct 2004, 18:34
Location: St. Albans, UK

Post by grim_tales »

D'oh! I posted in the wrong thread! That was part of the Play bargains I mentioned.
They have Zodiac DC for £2.99.
£7.99 is nuts. I thought £9.99 (what I paid for mine) was a great bargain!
saltysam
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 9357
Joined: 27 Oct 2004, 19:27

Post by saltysam »

saltysam
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 9357
Joined: 27 Oct 2004, 19:27

Post by saltysam »

10 film blockbusters box set £12.99

http://www.play.com/DVD/DVD/4-/3328990/ ... ource=9593
User avatar
grim_tales
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 22163
Joined: 25 Oct 2004, 18:34
Location: St. Albans, UK

Post by grim_tales »

That's an insane price, shame I already have some of the films.
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 24430
Joined: 27 Oct 2004, 20:30

Post by bradavon »

Great for a present.
saltysam
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 9357
Joined: 27 Oct 2004, 19:27

Post by saltysam »

grim_tales wrote:That's an insane price, shame I already have some of the films.
Buy it and ebay off the ones you already have :wink:
User avatar
grim_tales
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 22163
Joined: 25 Oct 2004, 18:34
Location: St. Albans, UK

Post by grim_tales »

Well the ones I have (eg Fight Club, Alien, Usual Suspects) are the 2 disc versions of the films or in the case of Alien, the Quadrilogy ;)
User avatar
thelostdragon
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 7059
Joined: 29 Oct 2004, 23:36
Location: Basin City
Contact:

Post by thelostdragon »

saltysam wrote:Alien Quadrilogy £7.99

http://www.play.com/DVD/DVD/4-/125722/A ... ource=9593
WTF? How did miss that? It's a tough decision, though. Shouldn't I just wait for a Blu-Ray release?
Image
User avatar
Markgway
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 20194
Joined: 18 Feb 2005, 02:04

Post by Markgway »

For that price you can buy the set and then sell it when you get the BD.
Image
Post Reply