The Official "Dragon Dynasty" Thread!

China, Hong Kong, Japan, Korea, Thailand, etc
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 24430
Joined: 27 Oct 2004, 19:30

Post by bradavon »

Thanks.

English dub only, cut and letterbox DVD, forget it. VCD, forget it. French DVD without English subs, forget it. Letterbox Video forget that too.
Killer Meteor
Hail the Judge!
Posts: 2380
Joined: 16 Mar 2005, 23:05

Post by Killer Meteor »

Yep!

I think the ideal thing would be a boot of the French with English subtitles. Until then, my DVD-R copy of the old UK tape will do
bradavon wrote:
but I guess you're more intelligence than me.
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 24430
Joined: 27 Oct 2004, 19:30

Post by bradavon »

I have a DivX file with English fansubs. It's excellent quality and can only be better when not compressed into a DivX file.
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 24430
Joined: 27 Oct 2004, 19:30

Post by bradavon »

The Rebel - 30th of September:

http://www.dvdactive.com/news/releases/the-rebel.html

Is this any good? I remember the trailer making it look good.
Yi-Long
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 8616
Joined: 26 Oct 2004, 12:46
Location: Alkmaar, Holland

Post by Yi-Long »

From what I've heard, the movie is very good.
Image
I was there, the big BNB blackout of november, 2008. We lost many that day...
saltysam
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 9357
Joined: 27 Oct 2004, 18:27

Post by saltysam »

working class blu-ray fan
User avatar
HungFist
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 11932
Joined: 14 Dec 2005, 15:50
Location: Japan

Post by HungFist »

HK Flix has mini reso covers

Image Image
- http://www.hkflix.com/xq/asp/filmID.548 ... etails.htm
- http://www.hkflix.com/xq/asp/filmID.548 ... etails.htm

It's a bit hard to see, but is that a black T-short Jackie is wearing? :lol:
User avatar
grim_tales
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 22166
Joined: 25 Oct 2004, 17:34
Location: St. Albans, UK

Post by grim_tales »

What was The Enforcer the US title of? Its not Bodyguard from Beijing is it?
Killer Meteor
Hail the Judge!
Posts: 2380
Joined: 16 Mar 2005, 23:05

Post by Killer Meteor »

That Supercop cover looks pretty naff. That cover still seems to be on every DVD of Jackie's early 70s films
bradavon wrote:
but I guess you're more intelligence than me.
User avatar
Markgway
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 20194
Joined: 18 Feb 2005, 02:04

Post by Markgway »

The Enforcer is My Father is (a) Hero.

I guess they're keeping the tougher-sounding (and more generic) Dimension title.

Those images of Jackie and Michelle were from a promo shoot they did for the US cinema release of Police Story 3 back in 1996. Dimension kept using them for other films.
Image
chenlung
King of Beggars
Posts: 901
Joined: 27 Feb 2005, 22:45
Location: Scotland

Post by chenlung »

These might be earlier covers, but I don't like them regardless.

MFIAH cover doesn't look horrible (it's better than the front of Dimension's artwork for sure!), but I'm a bit surprised at the chosen title (Yu Rong Gwang is kinda lined up like he's an ally of Jet's). Seeing as Dimension's version has under a minute's worth of edits compared to the Cantonese cut, I wonder if they'll take any soundtracks and cut them to fit (like 'Fist Of Legend') - although 'Tai Chi Master' may have taken an export print, so it's possible they'll get an uncut one. Extras will be interesting - there's a release of the film coming to Austria shortly with redone subtitles, progressive PAL, genuine Cantonese mono (Mei Ah is a downmix and edited), uncut and an extra or two (one not known about until recently).

For 'Police Story 3', Jackie looks like he's punching and kneeing Michelle with her reaction. I couldn't work out if Michelle had an extra leg.
Scott
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 24430
Joined: 27 Oct 2004, 19:30

Post by bradavon »

I expect DD to do this, that's what they're known as in America. I'll be picking up PS3 for sure and possibly MFIAH. I've still to watch my HK SE.
User avatar
grim_tales
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 22166
Joined: 25 Oct 2004, 17:34
Location: St. Albans, UK

Post by grim_tales »

I'm happy with my HK SE of PS3. Michelle might be called Jessica Yang instead of Inspector Hua in the DD version I bet...
User avatar
HungFist
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 11932
Joined: 14 Dec 2005, 15:50
Location: Japan

Post by HungFist »

DD could also have the audio in sync.
User avatar
grim_tales
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 22166
Joined: 25 Oct 2004, 17:34
Location: St. Albans, UK

Post by grim_tales »

Maybe I might get it then, I dont know :)
User avatar
Markgway
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 20194
Joined: 18 Feb 2005, 02:04

Post by Markgway »

At least "Supercop" was part of the original title.

"The Enforcer" was probably decided upon by the studio janitor.
Image
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 24430
Joined: 27 Oct 2004, 19:30

Post by bradavon »

The HK SE is fine but:

A: It's a DVD
B: I've had to put up with a DVD9 DVD-Rip. I want an original DVD and the prequels are poor to say the least.
RickyTheDragonSteamboat
Pedicab Driver
Posts: 265
Joined: 07 Dec 2006, 23:54

Post by RickyTheDragonSteamboat »

Something to think of:

DD may use the cut versions to accomidate the newer dubs. Might want to hang on to your other dvd versions just in case.
User avatar
Markgway
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 20194
Joined: 18 Feb 2005, 02:04

Post by Markgway »

I wouldn't be surprised if DD base their edition on the Dimension dub. Hope I'm wrong.
Image
User avatar
Old Pang Yau
Pedicab Driver
Posts: 234
Joined: 24 Mar 2007, 04:02

Post by Old Pang Yau »

I think DD is obligated to use the Fortune Star transfer due to their agreement... but I could be wrong... but I hope I'm not!
Image
chenlung
King of Beggars
Posts: 901
Joined: 27 Feb 2005, 22:45
Location: Scotland

Post by chenlung »

Old Pang Yau wrote:I think DD is obligated to use the Fortune Star transfer due to their agreement... but I could be wrong... but I hope I'm not!
Apparently, they're making their own one for 'Police Story 3'.

For 'My Father Is A Hero', they will probably do one of the following:

1) Take an existing DVD like Mei Ah's and render it progressive.
2) Use an export print (Tai Chi Master).
3) Use Dimension's print (Fist Of Legend).

I still feel Dimension's team are getting better results for most titles (a few exceptions). The blacks are black (not blue), detail is retained (no contrast-related problems), no edge enhancement or boosting of pink/gamma levels (colour looks correct with no evidence of artificial brightening) - overall better too. Surprisingly, their version of 'My Father Is A Hero' looked inferior to Mei Ah's because it's a bit more murkier, darker, doesn't seem as detailed and has a blue-tone about it (although there's something about Mei Ah's that doesn't seem right - perhaps it's too orange or something in certain shots). I could add my Dimension DVD (which I was given recently as a gift) to my previous comparison and maybe grab some better shots.
Scott
User avatar
Old Pang Yau
Pedicab Driver
Posts: 234
Joined: 24 Mar 2007, 04:02

Post by Old Pang Yau »

I recently saw the covers for My Father Is A Hero and PS3 on HKFlix... they're using the US titles...

..........................

...........................

..........................

f*cknuggets...

I don't think they've yet retitled coverart, but not the movie. Anytime they re-title the cover, the movie follows. Kill Zone, Above The Law, Shanghai Express... these should've been SPL (which was still in the logo, more or less), Righting Wrongs, Millionaire's Express. Ugh... Well, considering that the HK opening credits to PS3 were all on a black background, I could see them easily creating a new opening credits sequence... damn it. Hopefully they at least won't use the old '96 US print. I could swear they were using the FS print, and not a new print. All we can do is pray... ugh...
chenlung
King of Beggars
Posts: 901
Joined: 27 Feb 2005, 22:45
Location: Scotland

Post by chenlung »

'Above The Law' and 'Shanghai Express' are the international titles - they seemed to make a convincing job on the modulation during the opening credits.
Scott
User avatar
Old Pang Yau
Pedicab Driver
Posts: 234
Joined: 24 Mar 2007, 04:02

Post by Old Pang Yau »

Well, I know Above the Law and Shanghai Express were the international export titles... but technically speaking, they aren't the ORIGINAL titles. Eh, oh well.
Image
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 24430
Joined: 27 Oct 2004, 19:30

Post by bradavon »

Aren't all the Dimension releases non-anamorphic?