The Official "Dragon Dynasty" Thread!

China, Hong Kong, Japan, Korea, Thailand, etc
Killer Meteor
Hail the Judge!
Posts: 2380
Joined: 16 Mar 2005, 23:05

Post by Killer Meteor »

Markgway wrote:How can anyone be offended by the end of DM2? He's drunk so much industrial alcohol it's fried his brain. Shows you the consequences of heavy drinking!! Have I missed something? Where is Jackie making fun of handicapped (or 'less fortunate' as Brad puts it) people?
So is it more offensive to suggest drinking booze can make you brain dammaged, or that someone is unable to distinguish this from someone born with mental problems - ie. the "less fortunate"
bradavon wrote:
but I guess you're more intelligence than me.
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 24430
Joined: 27 Oct 2004, 19:30

Post by bradavon »

Markgway wrote:How can anyone be offended by the end of DM2? He's drunk so much industrial alcohol it's fried his brain. Shows you the consequences of heavy drinking!! Have I missed something? Where is Jackie making fun of handicapped (or 'less fortunate' as Brad puts it) people?
At best it's completely inaccurate to suggest people act like disabled people when drinking industrial alcohol, at worst it's insulting to people who're disabled.

The way he acts it's obvious they were trying to make him act like someone disabled.
gasteropod
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 6868
Joined: 03 Nov 2004, 18:16

Post by gasteropod »

So when people die in films, it's making fun of dead people? Come on, Brad. He drank industrial alcohol and got brain damage from it, it has nothing to do with insulting disabled people.
User avatar
Shingster
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 4140
Joined: 08 Sep 2006, 10:14

Post by Shingster »

Watch out posters, Brad's got his Politically Correct hat on again! Let's see how long it takes him to calls someone a homophobe, anglophobe, racist disabled hater!! :lol:
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 24430
Joined: 27 Oct 2004, 19:30

Post by bradavon »

I'm not the first to say it's insulting Shing ;). It's just my opinion, end of.
gasteropod wrote:So when people die in films, it's making fun of dead people? Come on, Brad.
He doesn't die :?
Yi-Long
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 8616
Joined: 26 Oct 2004, 12:46
Location: Alkmaar, Holland

Post by Yi-Long »

bradavon wrote:
gasteropod wrote:So when people die in films, it's making fun of dead people? Come on, Brad.
He doesn't die :?
Image
Image
I was there, the big BNB blackout of november, 2008. We lost many that day...
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 24430
Joined: 27 Oct 2004, 19:30

Post by bradavon »

I didn't think anyone was saying he dies silly ;).
Yi-Long
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 8616
Joined: 26 Oct 2004, 12:46
Location: Alkmaar, Holland

Post by Yi-Long »

bradavon wrote:I didn't think anyone was saying he dies silly ;).
...and once again
Image
Image
I was there, the big BNB blackout of november, 2008. We lost many that day...
User avatar
HungFist
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 11932
Joined: 14 Dec 2005, 15:50
Location: Japan

Post by HungFist »

I think Brad is just joking...

Anyway, back to my bad memory; what was the verdict on Last Hurrah for Chivalry? DD fine and HKL possibly downmix? Or the otherway round? Or both fine?

EDIT: Both should be orig. mono according to the running man, but HKL out of sync (thanks Ivan)

http://adg.invisionzone.com/index.php?s ... rrah&st=20
User avatar
grim_tales
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 22166
Joined: 25 Oct 2004, 17:34
Location: St. Albans, UK

Post by grim_tales »

AFAIK HKL had better subtitles, but DD has better extras.
DangerousLeeHandsome
Flirting Scholar
Posts: 313
Joined: 16 Oct 2006, 02:27
Location: California, US

Post by DangerousLeeHandsome »

grim_tales wrote:I still get this disc, I cant see the abscence of the last shot bothering me THAT much. I remember the MIHK tape of Police Story had an end coda that wasnt present in any other versions, not even the Fortune Star remaster.
Got mine last night and honestly, I didn't even realize that last scene was missing.
chenlung
King of Beggars
Posts: 901
Joined: 27 Feb 2005, 22:45
Location: Scotland

Post by chenlung »

DangerousLeeHandsome wrote:
grim_tales wrote:I still get this disc, I cant see the abscence of the last shot bothering me THAT much. I remember the MIHK tape of Police Story had an end coda that wasnt present in any other versions, not even the Fortune Star remaster.
Got mine last night and honestly, I didn't even realize that last scene was missing.
Did the audio jump?
Scott
User avatar
Markgway
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 20194
Joined: 18 Feb 2005, 02:04

Post by Markgway »

HungFist wrote:I think Brad is just joking...
He's not. That's what's so scary....
Anyway, back to my bad memory; what was the verdict on Last Hurrah for Chivalry? DD fine and HKL possibly downmix? Or the otherway round? Or both fine?
I have the DD but haven't watched it right thru. Seemed like genuine mono to me.
Image
saltysam
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 9357
Joined: 27 Oct 2004, 18:27

Post by saltysam »

Image
User avatar
Old Pang Yau
Pedicab Driver
Posts: 234
Joined: 24 Mar 2007, 04:02

Post by Old Pang Yau »

If that Blu-ray is real... then "ooooooo"... Now, if it's region free, that's another story...

EDIT: Supposedly it has English and Cantonese, but don't think it has English subs.
chenlung
King of Beggars
Posts: 901
Joined: 27 Feb 2005, 22:45
Location: Scotland

Post by chenlung »

That company is a cheat. They're doing the same with OUATICAA - upscaling.
Scott
User avatar
Old Pang Yau
Pedicab Driver
Posts: 234
Joined: 24 Mar 2007, 04:02

Post by Old Pang Yau »

chenlung wrote:That company is a cheat. They're doing the same with OUATICAA - upscaling.
Ah, dat bastards!

It seems like there are more instances of upscaling nowadays, including the Optimum Blu-rays of some of the John Carpenter films. Lord, it's like putting VHS on DVD.
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 24430
Joined: 27 Oct 2004, 19:30

Post by bradavon »

It's unlikely to have English subs anyway.
User avatar
Old Pang Yau
Pedicab Driver
Posts: 234
Joined: 24 Mar 2007, 04:02

Post by Old Pang Yau »

Well, I know the Weinstein Company has jumped into Blu-ray, but Dragon Dynasty jumping in has yet to be seen. Even so, it'll probably only be a select number, based on the better selling of the DVDs. I saw an HD print of "The Protector" on my local On Demand, so it's not like they haven't taken the time out to master some of them in HD. I'm guessing The Protector (maybe even SPL, er, "KillZone") would be one of their first Blu-rays.
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 24430
Joined: 27 Oct 2004, 19:30

Post by bradavon »

Cool.

I don't think their is a HD Ong-bak yet.
saltysam
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 9357
Joined: 27 Oct 2004, 18:27

Post by saltysam »

bradavon wrote:Cool.

I don't think their is a HD Ong-bak yet.
There is.doubtful if it's english-friendly though.

Image
Killer Meteor
Hail the Judge!
Posts: 2380
Joined: 16 Mar 2005, 23:05

Post by Killer Meteor »

According to Gil on ADVG, Cantonese track is genuine BUT

the print is the same as the old Dimension, removing the footage seen under and after the credits AND the frame blurring from Tai Chi Master returns

screw em I say
bradavon wrote:
but I guess you're more intelligence than me.
RickyTheDragonSteamboat
Pedicab Driver
Posts: 265
Joined: 07 Dec 2006, 23:54

Post by RickyTheDragonSteamboat »

The blurring isn't as bothersome as TCM's, thankfully. The sound does go OOS at times and I suspect the blurring may be an attempt to sync up the video with the sound. Not completely sure. Overall, despite missing the last few seconds, it's still a quality release. Just avoid the Wal-mart copies if you're in the US.
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 24430
Joined: 27 Oct 2004, 19:30

Post by bradavon »

Are the Wal-mart ones cheap knock-offs and not the DD release?
Killer Meteor
Hail the Judge!
Posts: 2380
Joined: 16 Mar 2005, 23:05

Post by Killer Meteor »

I think the Wall-Mart is a single disc edition

OOS sound? Blurry frames? Forget it!!!
bradavon wrote:
but I guess you're more intelligence than me.