The Amazon Bargains Thread!
-
bradavon
- Bruce Lee's Fist
- Posts: 24430
- Joined: 27 Oct 2004, 19:30
Oh right fair enough. Fullscreen means a 4:3 aspect ratio. I'm looking at it now using my TVs 4:3 mode and it looks like non-anamorphic 1.66:1 to me. There are no black bars on the left or right.
It's difficult to guarantee a downloaded DivX/Xvid is in the correct aspect ratio anyway. I'd imagine 1.66:1 is pretty close to the correct aspect ratio. In short Virgin1 display it fine.
I doubt a DivX/Xvid download would look much better, if at all. Presuming it was also SD.
It's difficult to guarantee a downloaded DivX/Xvid is in the correct aspect ratio anyway. I'd imagine 1.66:1 is pretty close to the correct aspect ratio. In short Virgin1 display it fine.
I doubt a DivX/Xvid download would look much better, if at all. Presuming it was also SD.
-
romerojpg
- Bruce Lee's Fist
- Posts: 8520
- Joined: 26 Oct 2004, 13:12
- Location: CLOSE TO YOUR MAMMA
Ahh I always go for the High quality downloads
they take a lot longer and are large 1gb+ files per episode, but its easy to tell as many good people comment on them and say exact specs etc.. the quality of the HD versions I downloaded was very nice.
Still Blu Ray will be even better
as no bloody TV logo in the corners 
Still Blu Ray will be even better
-
bradavon
- Bruce Lee's Fist
- Posts: 24430
- Joined: 27 Oct 2004, 19:30
-
romerojpg
- Bruce Lee's Fist
- Posts: 8520
- Joined: 26 Oct 2004, 13:12
- Location: CLOSE TO YOUR MAMMA
-
bradavon
- Bruce Lee's Fist
- Posts: 24430
- Joined: 27 Oct 2004, 19:30
-
romerojpg
- Bruce Lee's Fist
- Posts: 8520
- Joined: 26 Oct 2004, 13:12
- Location: CLOSE TO YOUR MAMMA
-
IronMonkey
- Royal Tramp
- Posts: 1950
- Joined: 08 Dec 2004, 16:49
Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicles was indeed definitely cropped on Virgin 1 when I saw it. It was a 14:9 transmission, which is what often happens on these sorts of channels - they buy the program on the cheap so they get a non-widescreen version.
TH-42PX80 | DMP-BD50 (MR BD & DVD) | SA-XR55 | SB-TP20 | XBox 360 Slim 250GB | XBox (XBMC, 160GB) | Zotac XBMC HTPC | Gaming PC | 8TB Media Server
-
bradavon
- Bruce Lee's Fist
- Posts: 24430
- Joined: 27 Oct 2004, 19:30
I've not lost a Freeview channel thankfully for years (at my current and previous address) but do find ITV2 (for example) at times awful quality, blocky hell. Other channels are perfectly fine IMO. The main 5 are usually good.
It's not 14:9 for me. 14:9 would leave black bars to the sides when my recordings just have very minor black bars to the top/bottom.IronMonkey wrote:It was a 14:9 transmission, which is what often happens on these sorts of channels - they buy the program on the cheap so they get a non-widescreen version.
-
IronMonkey
- Royal Tramp
- Posts: 1950
- Joined: 08 Dec 2004, 16:49
Yes, which more than likely means your TV is stretching 4:3 / 14:9 images to fit the screen. TRUST ME, it was 14:9 on Virgin 1.
This is on a direct feed to the Freeview tuner in my plasma, no going through a DVD recorder or anything first to confuse the issue. It was DEFINITELY 14:9.
This is on a direct feed to the Freeview tuner in my plasma, no going through a DVD recorder or anything first to confuse the issue. It was DEFINITELY 14:9.
TH-42PX80 | DMP-BD50 (MR BD & DVD) | SA-XR55 | SB-TP20 | XBox 360 Slim 250GB | XBox (XBMC, 160GB) | Zotac XBMC HTPC | Gaming PC | 8TB Media Server
-
bradavon
- Bruce Lee's Fist
- Posts: 24430
- Joined: 27 Oct 2004, 19:30
4:3 stretched to 16:9 would be obvious (Mr. Streched face). My recording isn't 14:9 as a 14:9 would fit the screen as well as 16:9 vertically and there are minor black bars at the top and bottom. It looks representative of 1.66:1 non-anamorphic. That's how it looks to me.
I don't really care tbh. It's a good but not outstanding TV Series. It was some form of Widescreen so I was perfectly happy. On a disc based format I'd want it in the proper aspect ratio but programmes aired on TV regularly get their aspect ratio messed around with so I really don't care.
. PVRs record the raw Freeview Stream. It's a Humax 9200 PVR in my case.
I don't really care tbh. It's a good but not outstanding TV Series. It was some form of Widescreen so I was perfectly happy. On a disc based format I'd want it in the proper aspect ratio but programmes aired on TV regularly get their aspect ratio messed around with so I really don't care.
I said I recorded it on my PVR not DVD RecorderIronMonkey wrote:No going through a DVD recorder or anything first to confuse the issue.
-
IronMonkey
- Royal Tramp
- Posts: 1950
- Joined: 08 Dec 2004, 16:49
Your TV would more than likely be stretching the 14:9 image to 16:9 which is a lot less noticable. Minor black bars at the top & bottom is normal for 14:9 broadcasts on 16:9 TVs that are set to an aspect which shows the wole image (i.e. 16:9).
Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicles was transmitted on Virgin 1 in 14:9.
Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicles was transmitted on Virgin 1 in 14:9.
I was talking about at my end, not yours! And I'm well aware of how PVRs work - its my JOB, thankyaverymuch!bradavon wrote:I said I recorded it on my PVR not DVD Recorder. PVRs record the raw Freeview Stream. It's a Humax 9200 PVR in my case.
TH-42PX80 | DMP-BD50 (MR BD & DVD) | SA-XR55 | SB-TP20 | XBox 360 Slim 250GB | XBox (XBMC, 160GB) | Zotac XBMC HTPC | Gaming PC | 8TB Media Server
-
bradavon
- Bruce Lee's Fist
- Posts: 24430
- Joined: 27 Oct 2004, 19:30
Calm down
. I understood when you said it was in 14:9, I also understand when you said IT WAS 14:9 and I still understand you now you've said it's 14:9.
It looks like 1.66:1 non-anamorphic
IT LOOKS LIKE 1.66:1 NON-ANAMORPHIC
It looks like 1.66:1 non-anamorphic
1.66:1 non-anamorphic looks nothing like 14:9. Non-Anamorphic when merely stretched horizontally to 16:9 results in Mr. Stretched face. It may have been 14:9. I never disagreed with that.
I also said: I don't give a flying fuck. I don't care if it's 14:9, 16:9 or 1 billion:1. It's a good but not outstanding TV show, which really doesn't need that much scrutinising.
You say 14:9, I don't, let's call the whole thing off
.
Nope. I keep saying:Your TV would more than likely be stretching the 14:9 image to 16:9 which is a lot less noticable.
It looks like 1.66:1 non-anamorphic
IT LOOKS LIKE 1.66:1 NON-ANAMORPHIC
It looks like 1.66:1 non-anamorphic
1.66:1 non-anamorphic looks nothing like 14:9. Non-Anamorphic when merely stretched horizontally to 16:9 results in Mr. Stretched face. It may have been 14:9. I never disagreed with that.
I also said: I don't give a flying fuck. I don't care if it's 14:9, 16:9 or 1 billion:1. It's a good but not outstanding TV show, which really doesn't need that much scrutinising.
You say 14:9, I don't, let's call the whole thing off
-
saltysam
- Bruce Lee's Fist
- Posts: 9357
- Joined: 27 Oct 2004, 18:27
-
bradavon
- Bruce Lee's Fist
- Posts: 24430
- Joined: 27 Oct 2004, 19:30
-
saltysam
- Bruce Lee's Fist
- Posts: 9357
- Joined: 27 Oct 2004, 18:27
amazon 2 for $30 on selected blu-ray. not much of a selection but Pan's & blade runner 5 disc are there.around £20 shipped for 2.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/feature.html/r ... =193640011
http://www.amazon.com/gp/feature.html/r ... =193640011
-
romerojpg
- Bruce Lee's Fist
- Posts: 8520
- Joined: 26 Oct 2004, 13:12
- Location: CLOSE TO YOUR MAMMA
-
saltysam
- Bruce Lee's Fist
- Posts: 9357
- Joined: 27 Oct 2004, 18:27
-
bradavon
- Bruce Lee's Fist
- Posts: 24430
- Joined: 27 Oct 2004, 19:30
-
romerojpg
- Bruce Lee's Fist
- Posts: 8520
- Joined: 26 Oct 2004, 13:12
- Location: CLOSE TO YOUR MAMMA
-
saltysam
- Bruce Lee's Fist
- Posts: 9357
- Joined: 27 Oct 2004, 18:27
this amazon seller has some cheap blu-rays including kung fu hustle at £6.70 delivered! type blu-ray into the search engine.
http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/shops/index. ... VO9NSTFYVC
http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/shops/index. ... VO9NSTFYVC
-
romerojpg
- Bruce Lee's Fist
- Posts: 8520
- Joined: 26 Oct 2004, 13:12
- Location: CLOSE TO YOUR MAMMA
-
Markgway
- Bruce Lee's Fist
- Posts: 20194
- Joined: 18 Feb 2005, 02:04
-
bradavon
- Bruce Lee's Fist
- Posts: 24430
- Joined: 27 Oct 2004, 19:30
-
romerojpg
- Bruce Lee's Fist
- Posts: 8520
- Joined: 26 Oct 2004, 13:12
- Location: CLOSE TO YOUR MAMMA
OK as in cheaper elsewhere sadlyMarkgway wrote:OK prices (nothing more). But the postage makes them less attractive. If it was a BOGOF offer...
If postage was free, it would be better, but even then some will be cheaper elsewhere.
If only amazon.co.uk would sell them for £10 and under!
