What general film/series have you just seen.. marks out of 5

Film Reviews and Release Comparisons
Post Reply
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 24430
Joined: 27 Oct 2004, 20:30

Post by bradavon »

I do now (thanks to you ;)) and it's still a sad thing to do ;)
Last edited by bradavon on 04 May 2008, 15:38, edited 2 times in total.
romerojpg
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 8520
Joined: 26 Oct 2004, 14:12
Location: CLOSE TO YOUR MAMMA

Post by romerojpg »

Becuase you NEVER do sad things :lol:
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 24430
Joined: 27 Oct 2004, 20:30

Post by bradavon »

Don't we all? ;)

We can all be overrated at times :D
User avatar
Markgway
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 20194
Joined: 18 Feb 2005, 02:04

Post by Markgway »

This thread is overrated.
Image
romerojpg
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 8520
Joined: 26 Oct 2004, 14:12
Location: CLOSE TO YOUR MAMMA

Post by romerojpg »

I may as well join in then.

Pans Labyrinth, OVERATED! saw it last night wow how much praise did that get :lol:

If it was in english no one would have batted an eye :wink:
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 24430
Joined: 27 Oct 2004, 20:30

Post by bradavon »

romerojpg wrote:If it was in english no one would have batted an eye :wink:
If it was in English it would've been nominated for stacks of awards (more than it already was) and would've had even more praise. Definitely!

What would you give it out of 10? I thought you saw it yonks ago.
romerojpg
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 8520
Joined: 26 Oct 2004, 14:12
Location: CLOSE TO YOUR MAMMA

Post by romerojpg »

I have given it 3.25 out of 5

Thinking of what to write when I review it, as its not exactly a normal film.

I have avoided it for a long time as I did not want to see a crap dvd of it, I opted for UK HD DVD, it looks great, but the Noise reduction peed me off :( idiots.
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 24430
Joined: 27 Oct 2004, 20:30

Post by bradavon »

So the UK HD-DVD has had DNR applied too?
romerojpg
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 8520
Joined: 26 Oct 2004, 14:12
Location: CLOSE TO YOUR MAMMA

Post by romerojpg »

It may well suposed to look like that, looking into it at the moment, but as soon as the film started everyone seemed a little digitally blended and noise reduced to my eyes. I got used to it after about 15 minutes and stopped noticing it. But not sure if the film was suposed top look like that, or my eyes just picked up on it.

As I say will look into that :) as the pikcy people on other forums will know this shit.
romerojpg
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 8520
Joined: 26 Oct 2004, 14:12
Location: CLOSE TO YOUR MAMMA

Post by romerojpg »

Yup after a few looks about the UK versions DNR to hell as well :( wankers.

Its getting on my tits this shit its like Face Off all over again, yet fools still praise the transfer as some people dont know shit about anything.

Good thread about the discs here, Bu Ray, TV and HD DVD.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthre ... +Labyrinth

Basically if I notice it then the transfer fails for me, its far better than the dvd obviously, but its still a pain in the arse for some people (as others wil never notice this sort of thing ever).
Last edited by romerojpg on 04 May 2008, 16:46, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
grim_tales
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 22164
Joined: 25 Oct 2004, 18:34
Location: St. Albans, UK

Post by grim_tales »

Romero, overrated ;)
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 24430
Joined: 27 Oct 2004, 20:30

Post by bradavon »

Thanks Romero.

I wonder if the USA HD-DVD/BD has more DNR because that's the one that got all the flack. It's weird they'd use DNR on such a new film.

Thanks for the AVS link. I'll have a look.
romerojpg
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 8520
Joined: 26 Oct 2004, 14:12
Location: CLOSE TO YOUR MAMMA

Post by romerojpg »

If you never notice Noise reduction it wont bother you, many people still have no idea about it so if you are one of the lucky ones it wont matter at all :D I wish I did not see it, and Edge enhancement :D
saltysam
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 9357
Joined: 27 Oct 2004, 19:27

Post by saltysam »

Pan's is overrated,definitely not a keeper.weird and boring
EvaUnit02
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 9150
Joined: 08 Feb 2005, 14:39
Location: Wellywood, Kiwiland
Contact:

Post by EvaUnit02 »

When I watched the HD-DVD of Black Rain last week, I was miffed that it was DNR'ed to hell at first. Then I thought "It's either this or some shittier non-anamorphic DVD from the Dark Ages."
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 24430
Joined: 27 Oct 2004, 20:30

Post by bradavon »

That's how I think about it when I come across many discs which should be better.
EvaUnit02
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 9150
Joined: 08 Feb 2005, 14:39
Location: Wellywood, Kiwiland
Contact:

Post by EvaUnit02 »

Cobra - 3/5
My God, the plot in this film is total rubbish. Incomprehensibly badly written, with plot holes you could drive a truck through. This film's script makes Commando seem like Citizen Kane.

The action scenes are totally ace though. Excellent choreography, editing and cinematography. I wonder who really directed this film, Stallone or Cosmatos?

Much of the dialogue is priceless.

Cobra's ethnic minority partner: "He looks like a fugitive from the 50s but he sure is great at catching Psychos. He’s a part of the Zombie Squad."
Brigitte Nielsen: "What's the Zombie Squad?"
Gonzales: "The bottom line."
:lol:
Last edited by EvaUnit02 on 05 May 2008, 13:28, edited 2 times in total.
User avatar
grim_tales
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 22164
Joined: 25 Oct 2004, 18:34
Location: St. Albans, UK

Post by grim_tales »

Supermarket killer: Get back! I got a bomb here! I'll blow this whole place up!
Cobra: Go ahead. I don't shop here.
:lol:

Did you watch the uncut version Eva?
EvaUnit02
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 9150
Joined: 08 Feb 2005, 14:39
Location: Wellywood, Kiwiland
Contact:

Post by EvaUnit02 »

grim_tales wrote:Did you watch the uncut version Eva?
I think so, I watched a TV screening.

# R2 United Kingdom - (Warner Bros Home Entertainment) - Yes - 4 seconds to scene where Stallone douses a bad guy with petrol, sets him alight, and utters "You have the right to remain silent".

Yup, that scene was definitely present.
Lourdes
Royal Tramp
Posts: 1994
Joined: 08 Jan 2005, 16:19

Post by Lourdes »

"Blood Diamond" - 2/5
Exploitation of exploitation, go Hollywood!

"Hotel Rwanda" - 3/5
Would have been much better with no Nick Nolte and African actors instead of Americans speaking English.
User avatar
grim_tales
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 22164
Joined: 25 Oct 2004, 18:34
Location: St. Albans, UK

Post by grim_tales »

Bambi (1942): 4/5

This wasnt the best early Disney I've seen (classics like Pinocchio and Dumbo are my favourites) but it was still very good. Although maybe a little twee at times.
I remembered the famous song "April Showers" and I think this film influenced The Lion King in many ways, many of the scenes are quite similar :)
tom2681
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 5577
Joined: 25 Oct 2004, 16:18
Location: Where you'll never find me

Post by tom2681 »

August Rush: 3/5
Why do so many people hate this film?
I thought it was fairly decent.

Freddy Highmore and Robin Williams deliver solid performances and the score is surprisingly pleasant.
Keri Russell and Jonathan Rhys-Meyers aren't convincing at all, but who cares? The film isn't about them.

Will be buying the BD.
I used to be "the man who loves the movies you hate".
Now I'm just "that weird french guy with a cat avatar who comes to BnB once a year for no reason and then disappears again".
Lourdes
Royal Tramp
Posts: 1994
Joined: 08 Jan 2005, 16:19

Post by Lourdes »

"Sugar Rush" - 2/5
Lovefilm sent the first disc of this to me for some reason so I watched it. It's your usual Channel4 comedy, quirky/odd/trendy/shagging.

"16 Blocks" - 2/5
Bald heads and annoying voices.

"The Woodsman" - 2.5/5
Imagine a Hollywood film about a paedophile, this is it.

"Patch Adams" - 3/5
Entertaining, awful shirts.

"Angel Heart" - 1/5
I gave up after about half an hour.

"Salvador" - 3.5/5
Woods was insane and the titles give you epileptic fits. Not bad.
User avatar
Markgway
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 20194
Joined: 18 Feb 2005, 02:04

Post by Markgway »

Lourdes wrote:"Sugar Rush" - 2/5
Lovefilm sent the first disc of this to me for some reason so I watched it. It's your usual Channel4 comedy, quirky/odd/trendy/shagging.
Any good lesbo action? :D
"16 Blocks" - 2/5
Bald heads and annoying voices.
Yeah, I was hoping that the bad guys would silence Mos Def in the first act. Is he supposed to be retarded?
"The Woodsman" - 2.5/5
Imagine a Hollywood film about a paedophile, this is it.
I saw this last week and was very impressed. I don't even know what you mean by "Hollywood" as the film was very much an indie through and through. Not mainstream at all. Intelligent, thoughtful, and Kevin Bacon was superb. This gets a lower rating than Patch Adams??
Image
User avatar
grim_tales
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 22164
Joined: 25 Oct 2004, 18:34
Location: St. Albans, UK

Post by grim_tales »

From what I've seen of Sugar Rush it has some nice lesbian scenes in it ;)
Post Reply