Haha, we all know this, I was merely saying that really it was Highbinders which was the proper HK film, and The Medallion is the bastardised US version which is unfortunately the only one the whole world has got
The footage is available on the R1, isn't it? (deleted scenes section).
I guess you could put them back in the film, but you'd have to find and delete all the scenes that have been re-shot.
I used to be "the man who loves the movies you hate".
Now I'm just "that weird french guy with a cat avatar who comes to BnB once a year for no reason and then disappears again".
The footage will still exist in a vault - they don't destroy outtakes/deleted scenes like they used to. Can't see any likelihood of a DC any time this century. Columbia insisted upon Anthony Wong being redubbed too!
Hugely disappointing latest effort from Dario Argento ,the third in the 3 mothers trilogy. cheap looking and poorly acted, it's very gory and just shows how lenient the bbfc have become these days.
I watched it last night on DVD, good film. My hopes were relatively low. I've not seen Firefly but anyone involved with Buffy or Angel doesn't exactly fill me with glee.
I didn't know Arnie's "I'll be back" niece was in it. That came as a pleasant surprise, for most of the film she plays a similar role "clueless psycho". I usually find a lot of CGI annoying but here it worked perfectly. I could even say it looked beautiful. The CGI ships looked gorgeous, it really reminded me of Babylon 5.
The dogfight near the end was excellent, as was the following fight too.
The poor English/slang annoyed me at times, even though I can see why they filmed it that way (lower class, space pirates) and the male lead while overall fine was also a poor actor. It could've probably done with a bit more action too. I liked the fact they spent time on the drama more but for my liking it had a bit too much drama, when the drama that was given wasn't always particularly interesting.
I was surprised to see it's really a Space Drama more than your usual Scifi action. It would've almost worked not being Scifi at all. You can really see it's origins are in TV. It felt like an extended TV episode at times. The actors aren't the best the world has ever seen either. Summer Glau was the best actor in it.
But overall I definitely enjoyed it.
Live Flesh (Carne trémula)
8 out of 10
Another stunning film from Pedro Almodóvar.
Volver (2006), Bad Education (2004) and now this, all excellent. I don't think Almodóvar is capable of making a bad film.
His characters always feel so utterly believable, while sure at times their actions a little unrealistic they they feel like real people, with real emotions. The way Almodóvar often gives us strong female characters is also so refreshing.
Javier Bardem is as usual excellent, as are the other 4 lead parts. An extended cameo at the start from Penélope Cruz came as a pleasant surprise.
Like his previous work I was kept right on the edge of my seating, not once did I look at my watch, also like his previous work the camera work was impeccable. The infusion of Latin and African music was excellently placed too.
I really must watch my Talk to her (I hear his magnum opus) and All about my Mother DVDs.
Last edited by bradavon on 02 May 2008, 17:29, edited 4 times in total.
That poor english/slang was actually mandarin, and you call yourself an asian film fan! Nathan Fillion is a very charismatic actor, as is Stanley Tudyck, in fact Summer Glau is one of the lesser actors in the cast, having not really played varied roles at this stage in her career.
Shingster wrote:That poor english/slang was actually mandarin, and you call yourself an asian film fan!
I didn't mean that . The way they kept saying don't instead of doesn't got on my nerves.
I spotted the Asian characters (they weren't on screen long enough for me to spot what language) and noticed the dialogue from the teacher at the start wasn't in English but I didn't pay much attention to the relevance.
Did the crew speak any Mandarin?
Watching one of the extras Weedon said that due to China and America being the two empires English and Chinese were spoken. It's a pity he didn't make that more obvious, as it's an excellent idea. It was lost on me and I suspect most viewers. If that's so it's odd there was no Asian/Chinese actor of any notable size at all.
The crew should've spoke (more) Mandarin.
Shingster wrote: Nathan Fillion is a very charismatic actor, as is Stanley Tudyck, in fact Summer Glau is one of the lesser actors in the cast, having not really played varied roles at this stage in her career.
We'll have to agree to disagree. Summer Glau and Chiwetel Ejiofor were the only ones who stood out for me.
I found Nathan Fillion "slightly" annoying for a good portion of the film.
Last edited by bradavon on 02 May 2008, 03:08, edited 1 time in total.
Hugely disappointing latest effort from Dario Argento ,the third in the 3 mothers trilogy. cheap looking and poorly acted, it's very gory and just shows how lenient the bbfc have become these days.
I feared as much.
I actually though that 'The Card Player' was a step in the right direction after a series of post-Trauma duds but I guess it's two steps back again.
(The dire) Sleepless would've been heavily cut if it had been released five years before.