Is it worth double-dipping on Donnie Darko?

Non-Asian Film & Release Discussion, and Serious Film-Related Discussion
User avatar
grim_tales
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 22164
Joined: 25 Oct 2004, 17:34
Location: St. Albans, UK

Is it worth double-dipping on Donnie Darko?

Post by grim_tales »

Hey,

I was wondering, is it worth getting the DC of Donnie Darko even though I have the R1 theatrical cut? For some strange reason I just thought of this today :D
What do the extra scenes add? Does the DC have worthwhile extras?

:)
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 24430
Joined: 27 Oct 2004, 19:30

Post by bradavon »

Firstly get the UK R2 it's much better than the fairly plain Jane R1.

Secondly I'd say yes (how much are you a fan?). Personally I loved DD and found both cuts add something in different ways. I'm keeping both my R1 TC and R2 DC. If you're lucky you'll still be able to source the holographic LE version.

As for the extra scenes according to the DVD Times review they greatly dumb down the film, personally I found the opposite and they create a different Donnie Darko but one also very good. I was still confused at the end which must mean something.

As for the extras roughly 1/3 are the same extras from the R2 TC DVD (including the deleted scenes some of which are in the DC) and the rest are new they're decent but not top quality. Don't compare them with the likes of Gladiator but they're better than tosh like HBO "let's gush all over the director" pap.

The LE looks to be available from the UK arm of CD WOW (cheaper than the US or HK) for £5.99:

http://www.cd-wow.com/detail_results_2. ... ffid=13858

It's the cheapest I can find it on the web.
User avatar
grim_tales
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 22164
Joined: 25 Oct 2004, 17:34
Location: St. Albans, UK

Post by grim_tales »

I'll get the LE then, thats very cheap.
I wouldn't say I'm a rabid obsessed fan :D But I thought DD was very good.
Do you mean the R2 DC is better than the R1 DC? I'm happy with my R1 TC.
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 24430
Joined: 27 Oct 2004, 19:30

Post by bradavon »

grim_tales wrote:Do you mean the R2 DC is better than the R1 DC? I'm happy with my R1 TC.
What do you reckon? Are we talking about the TC? :)
User avatar
grim_tales
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 22164
Joined: 25 Oct 2004, 17:34
Location: St. Albans, UK

Post by grim_tales »

You said "Firstly get the R2 its much better than the fairly plain Jane R1"
We're talking about the DC :)
EvaUnit02
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 9150
Joined: 08 Feb 2005, 14:39
Location: Wellywood, Kiwiland

Post by EvaUnit02 »

How's the Richard Kelly-Kevin Smith commentary on the DC?

I haven't seen Donnie Darko, would a Kevin Smith (ie me) enjoy it?
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 24430
Joined: 27 Oct 2004, 19:30

Post by bradavon »

I've not listened to it sorry.
grim_tales wrote:You said "Firstly get the R2 its much better than the fairly plain Jane R1"
I did???
User avatar
grim_tales
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 22164
Joined: 25 Oct 2004, 17:34
Location: St. Albans, UK

Post by grim_tales »

I'll get the UK DC. :) It has good extras + DTS :)