New here

Literally. Unless it Should Go Elsewhere
sortof
Jackie Chan's Little Toe

New here

Post by sortof »

I probably am one of the less informed people here. So I hope this question is okay.

I love classic Japanese cinema (Ozu, Kobayashi), Korean Thrillers (Chan Wook park, "I saw the devil" etc), Asian Horror ( "Cure" comes to mind) and some hard to classify things (takashi mike) as well as Kung Fu movies of all eras. I am interested some in exploitation cinema but have not seen much of the Asian things in that category. I really will watch anything, but I came here to learn and read mostly.

I'd welcome any suggestions in the realm of thrillers or interesting cult such as Pinky Violence movies. I'd start with the classics in the categories I am not familiar with. Of course any suggestions at all are welcome.

As well as titles, I wonder where people find movies here. Lots of things I have tried to see have been pretty hard to find streaming or even a download of. To make matters worse, I only speak english so I need subtitles.

Thanks for any help!
HungFist
Bruce Lee's Fist

Re: New here

Post by HungFist »

Welcome!

Well, for pinky violence here's some to get started with. All of these are available on R1 DVD
- The Female Prisoner Scorpion series, especially parts 1 and 2
- Bohachi Bushido: Code of the Forgotten Eight
- Pinky Violence Box Set (especially Terrifying Girls' High School: Lynch Law Classroom and Criminal Woman: Killing Melody)
Rica
School of the Holy Beast
Sex and Fury
Female Yakuza Tale

And how about some yakuza films. Arrow just put out the Battles Without Honor and Humanity set. For more Fukasaku and yakuza stuff this set looks solid (for Yakuza Graveyard, Cops vs. Thugs and 3 Seconds Before Explosion).

And of course some karate films.
Sister Street Fighter
Karate Bearfighter
Karate Bullfighter
Killing Machine

+ some random JP film recommendations The Man who Stole the Sun, Lady Snowblood, Goyokin, House, Love Exposure, Suicide Club, Evil Dead Trap

You can find a lot more info in various threads in the Asian Film/DVD Discussion:
https://www.bulletsnbabesdvd.com/forums/ ... um.php?f=1
sortof
Jackie Chan's Little Toe

Post by sortof »

Those are great suggestions and I have only seen a few of them, thanks very much
Shingster
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by Shingster »

Good to see new blood come in, can I ask why you chose this place over the bigger sites out there? Just curious! :D

If you list a few directors whose filmography you've explored we could offer more specific suggestions. For instance you're quite rightly a Kobayashi fan, have you explored the work of Kihachi Okamoto and Hideo Gosha? Fan of J-horror but not explored the older classics? Check out Nobuo Nakagawa.

Watch all Zatoichi films if you haven't already, a true rite of passage for any self-respecting chanbara fan.

Don't talk to Hung about Ozu and Miyazaki, but listen to everything else he says! :icon_suspect: :P
HungFist
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by HungFist »

Shingster wrote: For instance you're quite rightly a Kobayashi fan, have you explored the work of Kihachi Okamoto and Hideo Gosha?
Gosha is a must. Goyokin (R1), Hitokiri (aka Tenchu), Three Outlaw Samurai (R1), Violent Streets... It's just a shame that some of his best movies are only available in Japan and/or France. Fansubs can be found easily, though.
Shingster wrote:Watch all Zatoichi films if you haven't already, a true rite of passage for any self-respecting chanbara fan.
I would start with Lone Wolf and Cub films, though. But yeah, Criterion's Zatoichi set is awesome.
Shingster wrote:Don't talk to Hung about Ozu and Miyazaki, but listen to everything else he says! :icon_suspect: :P
:lol:
sortof
Jackie Chan's Little Toe

Post by sortof »

Never saw this! I came here because I was interested in Pinky Violence stuff which is not as well documented as some other genres. It's nice to get a feel for a whole bunch of things. I do like some older japanese horror, but as I said previously I guess, some things are hard to find with subtitles. Criterion is a blessing for japanese film generally, but they don't go too far into cult material.
sortof
Jackie Chan's Little Toe

Post by sortof »

Between buying dvd's and the criterion stuff on HULU, you can get some nice things, as you mentioned Hideo Gosha, that's where I saw Sword of the beast. I bought the horror sets too, like Goku Body snatcher from hell. My wallet hates me.

Thanks for your good suggestions and friendliness. BTW can anyone direct me to a south korean/Japanese serial killer type thread? I was looking for some high tension type films like "I saw the Devil" and "The Chaser" and good more procedural ones like "memories of murder" which is not exactly Ichi the killer, but I like the variety.
Shingster
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by Shingster »

Always a good idea to list more films you've seen with requests like that, saves us wasting your time. I don't think we've ever really had a proper thread dedicated to Korean cinema of any genre really, I think all the regulars here haven't really bothered much with Korean cinema in the last ten years either other than the more high-profile releases.
moonleek
Jackie Chan's Little Toe

Post by moonleek »

New here sort of, I like your user name :lol:

My knowledge of Japanese and Korean cinema is not very large, but these are my favorite movies from different genres, companies, countries...

Japanese- Deadly Outlaw Rekka

Kung fu- Legend of a Fighter aka Secret Master

Shaw Brothers- Killer Constable

Chinese movie without kung fu- The Longest Nite

East meets west- The Golden Child

Serial killer- The Stepfather 1987

Godfrey Ho/Korean- Ninja Terminator :D
Markgway
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by Markgway »

If it's pre-millennial Hong Kong Cinema you're after, I can probably help...

Anything else Asian, er, ask someone else... :D