Mohabbatein: Limited Edition (2 Disc Set)

Film Reviews and Release Comparisons
slasher13
Royal Tramp

Mohabbatein: Limited Edition (2 Disc Set)

Post by slasher13 »

Review Written By Nadeem Rasool
Film Director(s): Aditya Chopra
Starring: Amitabh Bachchan, Shah Rukh Khan
Released: 2000
Distributor: Yash Raj Films

Synopsis:
Narayan Shankar (Amitabh Bachchan) is the stern, disciplinarian headmaster of Gurukul High School, an elite public school in London. Three energetic young men join the school as students. Vicky (Uday Chopra), the brawny playboy to loses his heart to a rich and raging young lady named Ishika (Shamita Shetty). The shy and smiling Sameer (Jugal Hansraj) is already besotted by his childhood buddy, the bubbly Sanjana (Kim Sharma). And Karan (Jimmy Shergill) is also struck by Cupid's arrow when he gets to know a demure war widow, Kiran (Preeti Jhangiani).
The principal is convinced that love is a frivolous waste of time. A maverick music teacher, Raj Aryan (Shah Rukh Khan) sweeps into the draughty corridors of Gurukul. He encourages the young ones to follow the paths their hearts dictate. Though he has lost the love of his life, Raj is convinced that love is what makes life worth living and that is the lesson Narayan Shankar must learn too.

The only way i can describe Mohabbatein, is that it is three love stories in one movie. This is a modern day love story, where the old tradition meets younger ideals. Study or love. This is a typical love story, but that’s not to say, you should not see this. This is a really good film; Amitabh Bachchan is again excellent as the role of Narayan Shankar. I've always grown up with Amitabh films, and he can really play a whole field of characters. This one scarcely suits him to a tee. You actually believe that this character is incapable of love and as the film progresses; you know why he is like this. Shah Rukh Khan is also very good in this movie; it seems to me, that when he is teamed up with Amitabh Bachchan, you know you are going to enjoy the movie. Shah Rukh Khan plays a teacher, who tries to bring love into a hard loveless school. Will he or won't he, i will not spoil it for you.

There is a classic scene within this movie, right before the intermission, Shah Rukh Khan say to Amitabh

"I will spread so much love here, that it will taken ten Narayan Shankar to get rid of it"

The scene ends with Shah Rukh Khan walking out, and you see in the far distance Amitabh Bachchan just looking at him. This is a powerful scene.

Special mention has to go to the newcomers who look like they really enjoyed making this film. I look forward in their upcoming films. You can feel for Preeti, she waits for her husband, even through she knows he may be dead, but can she ever love again, or will it betray her husband family. This was the most heartfelt part of the story. The cute part of the story is to do with Sameer (Jugal Hansraj) and Sanjana (Kim Sharma), this reminded me of when I was in high school and really enjoyed their part of the love story.

The only thing i could say which i did not like, is the love story of Vicky (Uday Chopra) and Ishika (Shamita Shetty), for some reason this did not work for me, some people may like it, but i didn't.

[DVD REVIEW]

Image:
Anamorphic Widescreen 2.35:1, there are some scratches on the film, but like all yash films, the picture is very clean considering it is a indian film.

Sound:
Dolby Digital 5.1 Surround; like with all indian films, you need a good setup, to appreciate the indian music, as these are apart of the movie.

Extra:
Yash films contining to give people there money worth.
Disc 2: Exclusive Interview with cast, Deleted Scenes, The Making of Film, Photo Gallery, Trailer, TV Promos, Collector's Postcard Included, Interactive Menus
The menus are very nice and in tune with the actual movie, including the classic Mohabbatein violin music. Also the making of featurette is really good, there is a classic scene where Amitabh Bachchan is complaining about the british weather. Very, very funny.

Subtitle:
English, Arabic, French, Malay, Spanish. The english subtitles are very clear to read and very accurate

Summary:
Overall a charming movie, which, who ever likes love stories, will enjoy. Highly Recommended to you.

Equipment:
Toshiba 32" WideScreen Tv,
Dolby Surround 5.1 Speakers
Whalfdale multiregion dvd player
grim_tales
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by grim_tales »

Long time no see! :D
Nice to see you Slasher13, how are you? :)
slasher13
Royal Tramp

Post by slasher13 »

Hehehe. hey Grim, not bad, just doing other projects at the moment. I'm currently writing my first 3d game which i intend to go shareware, its my signature, which is http://www.perfect-serenity.com

Thats why i have not posted anything here. Good to see you and Bradavon as moderators, hope it goes well for you. Later on i will post the rest of my reviews i have on the work pc. :D
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by bradavon »

Welcome back Slasher.

Whatever happened to your film/dvd review site? Cool new website btw.
slasher13
Royal Tramp

Post by slasher13 »

Hey Bradavon,

too much work going on at the moment, so i had to leave it, which was a shame. But i like this idea, having a review forum. :)

Hope you are doing okay, looking good in your picture :D
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by bradavon »

I'm well thanks, you? Thanks. That's the great wall behind me, you can just see it.

Are my reviews still online? I don't mind you keeping a copy but I just wondered if they were online as well as my own site.

Post by Guest »

Hey Bradavon,

No there are not online anymore :)

So you just have the only copy available :D