Man stopped from taking photos of his KIDS

Debate (or Argue) About Anything and Everything
tom2681
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by tom2681 »

@Romero:
Is that a crime?
I like good music.

Anyway, it's true that your face is going to end up on the web no matter what.
There's no point in fighting it.
I used to be "the man who loves the movies you hate".
Now I'm just "that weird french guy with a cat avatar who comes to BnB once a year for no reason and then disappears again".
romerojpg
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by romerojpg »

tom2681 wrote:@Romero:
Is that a crime?
I like good music.
No crime I love them :D

Wish I had seen them once in my life, and someone snapped me at the concert :D
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by bradavon »

I've seen Shania Twain twice, Katie Melua twice and The Corrs 4 maybe 5 times (twice at a festival, the second time as the main act).

The first time I saw The Corrs was a supporting act, way before they were even known of in The UK. I thought they were great the first time I heard them, rare for a supporting act.
Markgway
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by Markgway »

There's a difference between catching someone's face in a photograph and deliberately taking one of them without their permission. The latter is not cool, and yes, if Romero did that to me I'd break his fucking camera. No joke! I'm frankly amazed it hasn't happened yet! :D
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by bradavon »

I'm amazed too :D.

I don't see the harm as such taking someone's photo, as long as you remove it if asked.

My website has stacks of photos of "people watching".

At the end of the day, like Romero says we quite simply have no control over our image any more (if we ever truly did). I'm not going to get paranoid about it, when I've no idea where it's being displayed anyway.
gasteropod
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by gasteropod »

Who cares, everyone sees your face every time you walk around in public anyway.
Markgway
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by Markgway »

That's not the point. Maybe you're someplace you don't want to be seen? Maybe you're in witness protection(!) Point is we each have a a right to privacy that stops bell-ends deliberately taking our photos. It's rude and ignorant. And you shouldn't have to ask for it to be deleted. That's after the fact. If it was film that wouldn't work anyway.
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by bradavon »

Nice idea in theory but try telling that to the government, who daily capture us on camera.
Markgway
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by Markgway »

Rules don't apply to the government. You should know that.
romerojpg
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by romerojpg »

Not just the government, its every shop, pub, street, house, lift, carpark or workplace with cameras on or in, taking video or images.

Dodgy people snapping kids mind you, well its different :D
I snapped a kid playing a while back, then when I got home I thought shit that must have looked well dodgy :| you should not have to think like that if you are innocent like me, but people think that way becuase the media makes people feel as if scum are on every corner ready to steal kids and rape them.

Thing is if your a scummy pedo then really you would not exactly make it obvious, you would hide in the dark with the devil, or just google it! less risk then going on the street snapping youngsters I assume.

Still not that it matters anyway, they do not get punished even when they are found guilty of sickening crimes agaisnt children :roll: maybe if they killed them people may stop doing it.
gasteropod
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by gasteropod »

Romero, why do you take pictures of children? It is a bit dodgy lol
romerojpg
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by romerojpg »

gasteropod wrote:Romero, why do you take pictures of children? It is a bit dodgy lol
Artistic reasons, I take photos of everything.
Whatever pops in front of me, if I can get a good image I will take a photo (within reason obviously) :D
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by bradavon »

I can appreciate Romero's reasoning. I do the same but I draw the line at children, without permission.

While in Thailand, I was in a shop looking around and this sweet little girl ran up and pointed at some necklaces around a corner of a stand. She could see I was looking at some other necklaces.

I asked the father if I could take her photo, he nodded yes, so I did. If he'd said no I certainly wouldn't have taken any.

The fact I knew the edict is to Wai, possibly helped. Not many tourists know to do it or feel comfortable doing it: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thai_greeting
Last edited by bradavon on 17 Jul 2008, 19:46, edited 3 times in total.
romerojpg
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by romerojpg »

bradavon wrote:I can appreciate Romero's reasoning. I do the same but I draw the line at children, without permission.
Ohh believe me it is not something I have done too often and would feel a bit odd doing it the more I think about it. I could get stoned and killed for even pointing a camera at children in the wrong area of town.
Ussually it is by accident that I snap them now, like I am snapping away and they run into frame etc.. otherwise I try to avoid them, but you never know.

I find adults more interesting anyway, and many of them see me snapping them.
Last edited by romerojpg on 17 Jul 2008, 19:45, edited 1 time in total.
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by bradavon »

romerojpg wrote:Ussually it is by accident that I snap them now, like I am snapping away and they run into frame etc.. otherwise I try to avoid them, but you never know.
Children do have an amazing knack of being completely un-camera shy. It can produce some excellent natural shots.

I have a great one of a friends little boy, who just happened to star at my camera with a big grin, just as I pressed the button. It was a major fluke but the photo came out great.
romerojpg
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by romerojpg »

Thing is in other countries I would be scared ever to snap a child in any way :D you dont know the language perfectly or their customs. At least in the UK we know how people feel if they speak to you etc.. or even throw you a glance of distaste or evil, or sometimes smile which is always nice :D

In the end most parents will feel a little something about anyone around with a camera if they do not know them.

Stranger = Danger + Camera = evil child stealing murderer.

Best to be safe than sorry I guess.

Still art is nice with kids in images, look here for proof of that, some are just snaps from parents, some by pro's, some arty etc.. and some are pants I will admit, but some are amazing images.

http://www.flickr.com/groups/kidslife/pool/
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by bradavon »

romerojpg wrote:Thing is in other countries I would be scared ever to snap a child in any way :D you dont know the language perfectly or their customs.
Definitely. I'm always much more careful when abroad.

Some of those photos are excellent.
Shen
Royal Tramp

Post by Shen »

Kids are the best photographic subjects, i have a folder with around 500 photos of my niece in the first 2 years of her life, many are just spontaneous ones that i feel look great, whilst she is playing or sleeping or just catching her smiling. But i do try to avoid snapping photos of kids that arent related to me, theres to much paranoia about it. I've very wary of uploading photos of my niece to the internet though
romerojpg
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by romerojpg »

Yup I would never upload any of my family ever on the net, even if they said it was OK. Others do not mind and upload everything of all family members.

Like you my little family members are fantastic for images, I have taken many thousands of pics, plenty of them suck mind you :lol: but hey you have to take bad ones to get one really good one (well I do haha). I can take 500 in a day easy, and only find maybe 10 ones I like that are worth editing.
Shen
Royal Tramp

Post by Shen »

yeah i must have tken thousands of my nieces and nephews over the years, more so since i did my Alevel in photography, given that i have 11 nieces/nephews i'm never short of models lol. there are just a few that i really love, most of them are of my youngest niece in her first year. i would love to share them with people but i just dont trust to put them online
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by bradavon »

romerojpg wrote:but hey you have to take bad ones to get one really good one (well I do haha). I can take 500 in a day easy, and only find maybe 10 ones I like that are worth editing.
Definitely. It's normal and why I always take so many. Only taking a handful rarely gets you good ones.
Shen wrote:I've very wary of uploading photos of my niece to the internet though
I would but I'd put them in a password protected folder, most sites let you do this. I'd then only give access to friends/family.

What I cannot understand, is people who takes thousands of photos then never show them to people. That's one thing lost with Digital Cameras. People used to create photo albums and show them to friends/family. Now they just sit on a HD to be never seen again.

I've still not seen one of my best mates Honeymoon photos in New Zealand. It's why I put them on the web, it's the modern way for friends/family to see your photos.
Shen wrote:i would love to share them with people but i just dont trust to put them online
Upload them then only give access to those you trust.

My own site has a simple method to password protect directories but I believe sites like Facebook also have a simple method to protect photos.
Shen
Royal Tramp

Post by Shen »

so i wanna see if this works

Last edited by Shen on 17 Jul 2008, 21:51, edited 1 time in total.
romerojpg
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by romerojpg »

I find the easy way is to stick them on a cd and give them to people, stuff the crappy net as most people still have no clue how to use it. Or get the printed large (I hate snap size photos now).
Shen
Royal Tramp

Post by Shen »

do you have a flickr account romero?
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by bradavon »

romerojpg wrote:I find the easy way is to stick them on a cd and give them to people, stuff the crappy net as most people still have no clue how to use it.
You what? My Nan doesn't have a scooby doo but otherwise most people now know how to use e-mail and click on a link.

Whenever I go away I send a batch e-mail to friends with my website link and not one of them has any trouble clicking through to the relevant page.

I'd say most people know how to navigate websites nowadays. If anything giving someone a CD is more difficult. They need to know how to navigate folders etc..., besides it's not efficient sending CDs around the country, let alone the world.
romerojpg wrote:Or get the printed large (I hate snap size photos now).
It's not suitable to print more than a handful out large. Sure for extra special ones but if you want to show friends/family more than that you cannot print out lots of large photos.

I've no issue with 6x4 prints. 7x5 can be OTT for just your regular holiday snaps.
Shen wrote:do you have a flickr account romero?
He does. It used to be in his signature.

Those photo links load fine btw, what are you trying to show? Cute baby.