Happy Together HK Remastered vs. R1 Remastered

Post by bradavon »

OK: Here is a little review:
(From DVD Compare)

#Disc 1
*The Movie
Theatrical Trailer

Disc 2
Making Of "Happy Together" –documentary (59 min, with optional English and Chinese subtitles)

Disc 3 – Soundtrack
Track 1 - Waterfall
Track 2 - Bar Sur I
Track 3 - Chunga's Revenge
Track 4 - Bar Sur II
Track 5 - Prologue
Track 6 - 3 Amigos III
Track 7 - Milonga For Three
Track 8 - I Have Been In You
Track 9 - Finale / Wing's Dialogue
Track 10 - Happy Together
Track 11 - Live Recording

#Subtitles:
English, Traditional Chinese
#Aspect Ratio:
1.85:1
#Picture Format:
Anamorphic
#TV System:
NTSC
#Soundtrack(s):
Cantonese DTS 5.1
Cantonese Dolby Digital 5.1
#Case type:
Amaray (Keep) Case

#Notes:
DTS track is full bit-rate (1509kbps)
10th Anniversay Limited Edition.
Source taken from a HD transfer.

As you can see, the master cames from a HD transfer and the original mono track is not included (but we have a new DTS full bitrate Cool ) also the 3rd disc the soundtrack is 24bit remastered and sounds damn good!
HK

R1

HK

R1

HK

R1

HK

R1

HK

R1

HK

R1

HK

R1

Source for HK Remastered Info: http://www.theimportforums.com/viewtopi ... 489#224489
Last edited by bradavon on 12 Feb 2007, 22:10, edited 4 times in total.

smarterray
Jackie Chan's Little Toe

Post by smarterray »

Hello! This is my first post on this forum.

These are of the kino remastered (the anamorphic one) region 1.

Taken with powerdvd 6 at 720x406 (i can't get it to stay at 405) with original color settings and de-interlacing turned OFF. screencaps copied to clipboard, pasted to photoshop 7, saved as JPEGS with highest resolution quality. uploaded to photobucket....

here you go:

Kurgan
Royal Tramp

Post by Kurgan »

Welcome to the boards, mate. :)

And with plenty of effort on your first post. Kudos to you :D

captainjoe
King of Beggars

Post by captainjoe »

Always good to have more people on the forum. :)

EvaUnit02
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by EvaUnit02 »

Cheers for the caps Ray and welcome to the boards.

IMO the R1 has slightly less contrast and looks more natural, otherwise they look the same.

Did anyone ever confirm whether or not that snippet of colour footage which Kino incorrectly telecined as B&W was corrected for the R3?

R3TW release is ~£34 inc. shipping to the UK.
http://mall.jsdvd.com/product_info.php?products_id=8989 (click the Union Jack in top-right corner to switch site to English.)
It is a superb film for sure, but $95nzd is still too rich for my blood for a single film. I could buy probably two Criterion 2/3-discers for that much.

bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by bradavon »

Thanks Ray and welcome to the forum.

I've resized your photos to match and added them in. The Imports Forum have a rule that photos displayed as images cannot be larger than 640x480 hence the smaller then usual size.

Agreed Eva they look virtually the same, I didn't expect that. Overall I'd say the HK R3 looks better (as you say a bit more natural) but there is very little in it.

I'd certainly not upgrade this for the picture quality, if it had English subs the audio I probably would though. The Chungking Expresses audio is a marked improvement (it looks better too).

One thing though the second photo Ray posted looks to be interlaced, not a good sign.
Did anyone ever confirm whether or not that snippet of colour footage which Kino incorrectly telecined as B&W was corrected for the R3?
Going by the capture above I'd say so.
smarterray wrote:i can't get it to stay at 405
Don't worry 406/405 is virtually the same.
Union Jack
It can only be called a Union Jack when it's on a ship ;) , not that anyone pays any attention to that any more.

EvaUnit02
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by EvaUnit02 »

bradavon wrote:One thing though the second photo Ray posted looks to be interlaced, not a good sign.
I knew that it would be, since Kino's FA was as well. I suspect that all the Kino WKW releases are.
brad wrote:
eva wrote:Did anyone ever confirm whether or not that snippet of colour footage which Kino incorrectly telecined as B&W was corrected for the R3?
Going by the capture above I'd say so.
Look at the dvdbeaver comparison. Some footage (I think with Tony) of one of the dudes lying on the bed with a lava lamp on the nightstand was incorrectly telecined as B&W.

Union Jack
It can only be called a Union Jack when it's on a ship ;) , not that anyone pays any attention to that any more.
Serious bidness indeed.

bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by bradavon »

I knew that it would be, since Kino's FA was as well. I suspect that all the Kino WKW releases are.
I bet the HK R3 is too.
Look at the dvdbeaver comparison. Some footage (I think with Tony) of one of the dudes lying on the bed with a lava lamp on the nightstand was incorrectly telecined as B&W.
Oh that one. The HK has different colours in the B&W scene above.

Lourdes
Royal Tramp

Post by Lourdes »

bradavon wrote:It can only be called a Union Jack when it's on a ship ;) , not that anyone pays any attention to that any more.
Sad that you only learned that from a TV show though.

EvaUnit02
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by EvaUnit02 »

Honestly, who gives a flying fuck about the name of a flag?

smarterray
Jackie Chan's Little Toe

Post by smarterray »

Thanks for the welcomes folks!

chenlung
King of Beggars

Ha!

Post by chenlung »

Film was that typical 'shake the 1920s camera and pass-off as arthouse' style by Wong Kar Wai, the Master in this exquisite art. A boring stinker - full of bullshit. Shame genuine films from people that actually work hard are lucky enough to have viewers catch a glimpse of it's title in a huge list.

HK boxset was just laughable, imagine paying £100+ for a pair of fucking knickers. If I want underwear, I'll get a pack of 5 at Topman under £10.

No original soundtrack, whilst DTS and English subtitles maybe poor. What's DTS gonna do anyway (enhance the intimate scenes by a mere 2KB in bitrate)?
Scott

bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by bradavon »

Lourdes wrote:Sad that you only learned that from a TV show though.
No captain pugwash told me.

p.s - Thanks for presuming you know me better than I do though, even if I did (which I didn't) you're implying TV is somehow a lesser medium.
Last edited by bradavon on 14 Feb 2007, 23:27, edited 1 time in total.

bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist

Re: Ha!

Post by bradavon »

chenlung wrote:HK boxset was just laughable, imagine paying £100+ for a pair of fucking knickers. If I want underwear, I'll get a pack of 5 at Topman under £10.
It's an expensive pair of boxers for £35, of which people did buy it. You get a mug and calender too :D
chenlung wrote:No original soundtrack, whilst DTS and English subtitles maybe poor. What's DTS gonna do anyway (enhance the intimate scenes by a mere 2KB in bitrate)?
Agreed the original soundtrack should've been included but it's likely the 5.1 remix on CE/FA at least are director approved and are definitely an improvement.

There's nothing to say the subs won't be fine. I presume DD5.1 is okay in your book? You've opted not to dis that I see.

grim_tales
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by grim_tales »

I probably only heard it on TV as well - so what? :D