King Kong (2005): 2-Disc SE vs. 3-Disc EE

Film Reviews and Release Comparisons
captainjoe
King of Beggars

King Kong (2005): 2-Disc SE vs. 3-Disc EE

Post by captainjoe »

No noticable difference in picture quality so don't upgrade just for better picture. The EE has a higher bit rate and it is spread across two discs so it has better compression. This gives it the edge over the SE. It also features a commentary, numerous featurettes and documentaries, galleries, etc.

Top: SE
Bottom: EE

bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by bradavon »

Nice one thanks CJ.

The colour tone is slightly different but otherwise they're equal. It does prove there was absolutely no need to split the film. 13 Minutes and a solitary commentary do not mean a film needs to be split.

They only did it to make the release 3 Discs so they could charge more, which is exactly what they did. All the deleted scenes on Disc 2 would've fitted on Disc 3.
captainjoe
King of Beggars

Post by captainjoe »

Exactly, it's marketing. Still, I'd choose this one for the great supplements. Actually if you take into account the 3 and half hour doc and numerous slide shows, etc it would have been a stretch to fit it all on Disc 3. Remember the deleted scenes total about 40 minutes. But other than that you are right, 13 minutes doesn't need an extra disc
Shingster
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by Shingster »

Brad, why are you totally incapable of noticing when two transfers are identical? :P Have you followed Tom's advice by not comparing two screengrabs at different heights on a TFT display?

Paste this url into the address bar of a new window or tab (if you use Firefox) and press enter to load screengrab:

http://img176.imageshack.us/img176/2769 ... g10pv4.png

Then in the same tab/window paste this url into the address bar (so you're switching from the previous image, to this):

http://img176.imageshack.us/img176/7375 ... ng2je8.png

Now use the back & forwards arrows to switch between both grabs and you will see that the transfers are identical!

In future I suggest you adopt this approach when looking at comparison grabs that are very close in quality.
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by bradavon »

Shingster wrote:Brad, why are you totally incapable of noticing when two transfers are identical? :P
Why are you incapable of accepting I have a differing opinion? (you seem to get a kick out of it). Oh and also incapable of noticing when they're not identical?

Frankly I don't care as the same or minutely different it's still enough to base the comparison on extras/extra footage not on PQ.
Shingster wrote:Have you followed Tom's advice by not comparing two screengrabs at different heights on a TFT display?
I didn't know he'd given advice so that would be a NO but am already aware of TFT monitors giving a different image at different heights but to keep you happy I did as you suggest and guess what ever so slightly different colours, just like I said.
Shingster wrote:In future I suggest you adopt this approach when looking at comparison grabs that are very close in quality.
And I suggest you accept I disagree!
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by bradavon »

captainjoe wrote:Exactly, it's marketing. Still, I'd choose this one for the great supplements.
So would I easily.
captainjoe wrote:Actually if you take into account the 3 and half hour doc and numerous slide shows, etc it would have been a stretch to fit it all on Disc 3. Remember the deleted scenes total about 40 minutes. But other than that you are right, 13 minutes doesn't need an extra disc
Even more reason to put it all on 1 disc then and make discs 2-3 just for extras.
captainjoe
King of Beggars

Post by captainjoe »

true, very true. 8)
EvaUnit02
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by EvaUnit02 »

bradavon wrote:
Shingster wrote:Have you followed Tom's advice by not comparing two screengrabs at different heights on a TFT display?
I didn't know he'd given advice so that would be a NO but am already aware of TFT monitors giving a different image at different heights but to keep you happy I did as you suggest and guess what ever so slightly different colours, just like I said.
https://www.bulletsnbabesdvd.com/forums/ ... 0676#70676
Shingster
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by Shingster »

bradavon wrote:
Shingster wrote:Brad, why are you totally incapable of noticing when two transfers are identical? :P
Why are you incapable of accepting I have a differing opinion? (you seem to get a kick out of it). Oh and also incapable of noticing when they're not identical?
Sigh,it isn't a case of subjective opinion with this comparison (and the one Eva has just linked to); it is blatantly obvious that we are talking about identical transfers. Seeing as you keep insisting in seeing differences when all the available evidence says otherwise, then it is obvious that you are either Blind, Pig Ignorant, or Mentally Retarded. I reckon it might be a case of all 3.
gasteropod
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by gasteropod »

To be fair, Brad, I have noticed before when you've commented on transfers and I have suspected that you have been fooled by the difference in brightness on your monitor.
tom2681
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by tom2681 »

A scientific examination of the colours in Photoshop has shown me that the colours are EXACTLY the same.
There is a slight difference in highly detailed areas where the colours are a bit more precise on the EE (possibly due to the higher bitrate).

I seriously doubt that anyone could see the difference with the naked eye, especially on a blurry (and unstable) TFT monitor.

Any difference that Brad may have noticed has to do with the fact that none of these caps match. :)
I used to be "the man who loves the movies you hate".
Now I'm just "that weird french guy with a cat avatar who comes to BnB once a year for no reason and then disappears again".
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by bradavon »

Sorry Shingster they look different to me and as it's me whose viewing them it's me who is of the most importance. At the end of the day it's more important to me what I see than what is possibly technically there.

Some say DTS and DD5.1 sound the same, some don't. I think DTS can sound better so go with my opinion.

On a real life LCD TV then it would be completely different anyway but merely going on two screen captures and even following your test they don't look identical.

So your whining and let me have my opinion. I don't personally moan at you every time you give an opinion.
Any difference that Brad may have noticed has to do with the fact that none of these caps match.
Well that could certainly be why.
romerojpg
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by romerojpg »

None of the caps match on this forum much anyway, thats nothing new. If they are not from the identical frame I dont even see a point most the time.
captainjoe
King of Beggars

Post by captainjoe »

Hey I did the best I could to match.
romerojpg
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by romerojpg »

:) no offence meant by it, its just it seems to be something that most people cannot get 100% right.
Someone has to know how to sinc up frames with PowerDVD or something? (is it in the menues?) its an erratic programme as are a lot of them and trying to get exact frames takes time, which really grates on me when I try doing it.
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by bradavon »

romerojpg wrote:None of the caps match on this forum much anyway, thats nothing new. If they are not from the identical frame I dont even see a point most the time.
At least we try. I don't recall you ever providing caps, you're quick to judge though.
captainjoe wrote:Hey I did the best I could to match.
You did, they're great and I appreciate them. It's bloody hard to get captures to match by the exact frame.

I don't think they even need to match exactly by frame, a few frames out makes no difference IMO. Cue Romero disagreeing.
tom2681
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by tom2681 »

When using PowerDVD, I just set playback rate to half-speed.
That gives me twice as much time to find the correct cap. :D
I used to be "the man who loves the movies you hate".
Now I'm just "that weird french guy with a cat avatar who comes to BnB once a year for no reason and then disappears again".
captainjoe
King of Beggars

Post by captainjoe »

romerojpg wrote::) no offence meant by it, its just it seems to be something that most people cannot get 100% right.
Someone has to know how to sinc up frames with PowerDVD or something? (is it in the menues?) its an erratic programme as are a lot of them and trying to get exact frames takes time, which really grates on me when I try doing it.
None taken. I am nuts about getting the exact frame and when I don't and don't realize while capturing I get annoyed.

Then I turn into the Hulk :D
romerojpg
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by romerojpg »

bradavon wrote:
romerojpg wrote:None of the caps match on this forum much anyway, thats nothing new. If they are not from the identical frame I dont even see a point most the time.
At least we try. I don't recall you ever providing caps, you're quick to judge though.
I don't think they even need to match exactly by frame, a few frames out makes no difference IMO. Cue Romero disagreeing.
Fuck the horse you rode in on :lol: Thats becuase I couldnt give a shit about comparisons, as they mean fuck all most the time and are for films I couldnt give a flying shit about.

and yes you HAVE to match the exact frame, you fool, its like comparing an open door to a closed one. MASSIVE DIFFERENCE, as its NOT THE SAME THING! :D

But then you saw differences in the pictures above, so its obvious your eyes are already playing tricks on you.

I find the best way to compare pics, save em both in a file, the flick back between them. Better than guessing and thinking one looks darker etc..
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by bradavon »

romerojpg wrote:Fuck the horse you rode in on :lol:
That's actually pretty good & witty too ;) , it's not like you to be either :D
Shingster
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by Shingster »

bradavon wrote:Sorry Shingster they look different to me and as it's me whose viewing them it's me who is of the most importance. At the end of the day it's more important to me what I see than what is possibly technically there.
Pig Ignorant it is then!
bradavon wrote:So your whining and let me have my opinion. I don't personally moan at you every time you give an opinion.
It's true that opinions are usually subjective, but there are scenarios that are black & white and opinions are no longer subjective, they are either right or wrong. Tom has given you direct calculative evidence that your "percieved" difference in colour tone is wrong. Not wrong in his opinion, it is wrong full stop. :bootyshake:

Thank god most people don't so arrogantly believe their own perception of the world is so valid, or else we'd all still be stuck believing the Earth was flat!
captainjoe
King of Beggars

Post by captainjoe »

Shingster wrote:
Thank god most people don't so arrogantly believe their own perception of the world is so valid, or else we'd all still be stuck believing the Earth was flat!
lol
Yi-Long
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by Yi-Long »

The world IS round...

Round like a pancake
I was there, the big BNB blackout of november, 2008. We lost many that day...
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by bradavon »

Shingster wrote:Tom has given you direct calculative evidence that your "percieved" difference in colour tone is wrong. Not wrong in his opinion, it is wrong full stop. :bootyshake:
I didn't say Tom's opinion was wrong what gave you that idea? I did say my opinion to me is more important. I think that's to clever for you to understand though.

Back on topic: CJ/Anyone else do you have the HD-DVD? How does it compare?
BiscLimpkit
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by BiscLimpkit »

Brad, just out of curiosity... do you compare grabs side by side or base your "opinion" on what you see here, on this thread? If you save the images and use Windows Picture & Fax Viewer to switch between them, you should see that colour wise, the transfers are identical.

I.E. your opinion is wrong and invalid. That's not even me trying to have a go at you, or Shingster trying to get a kick - it's a fact. Pretty much everyone is disagreeing with you on this one I'm afraid.

You also made the same mistake here:

Always Sanchome no Yuhi

and here (as Eva pointed out already):

https://www.bulletsnbabesdvd.com/forums/ ... 0676#70676