David Lynch's Inland Empire (2007)

Non-Asian Film & Release Discussion, and Serious Film-Related Discussion
gasteropod
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by gasteropod »

Actually, the films do have a narrative and it's just a case of either unravelling it to find out what exactly is going on, or to read up on the IMDb forums where people will explain it for you. David Lynch said so in a recent interview, that his films aren't art pieces which don't mean anything, that they have a narrative.

I love Lynch films because of their atmosphere, I guess the people who can't pick up on that or take a liking to it will not be fond of his films. He is indeed a master director, one of few nowadays. I'm loving Michel Gondry's work too, I'm sure he'll deliver more absolute gems.
romerojpg
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by romerojpg »

gasteropod wrote:Actually, the films do have a narrative and it's just a case of either unravelling it to find out what exactly is going on, or to read up on the IMDb forums where people will explain it for you.
Thats one thing I hate doing, having it all told to me by someone who "Thinks" they know what Lynch was thinking, even if they are totally wrong, as hell they cannot speak for the director at all as they aint mind readers and he wont tell it all.

I would rather never know what a film means, than be told what to think of a film :)
gasteropod
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by gasteropod »

What? If people have unravelled it and understood, then what's wrong with someone who can't get their head around it reading and understanding too? I know the IMDb boards have cleared up the last three Lynch mindbenders for me...
romerojpg
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by romerojpg »

But thats the thing have they unraveled it right? most probibly not, they are just thinking they have it right. Its their interpritation, definatly isnt the right interpritation from Lyches mind.

Its like some strange complex new maths test in a language only one person knows, you can guess whats going on and what the final score will be, but your probibly wrong.

Its not as if Lynch will tell us exactly whats going on in great detail. Which is the way it should be if he want it that way, he doesnt exactly come clean in interviews I see with him, he wants people to make up their own story it seems. Even if they are totally wrong to his thougts.
gasteropod
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by gasteropod »

But if it all makes sense and any question you could ask can be accounted for, then what's to say it is wrong? I have read various theories of Lost Highway, and decided which one was correct by figuring out which ones had unanswered questions.
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by bradavon »

Yipeey a Two Disc SE in August:

http://www.dvdactive.com/news/releases/ ... mpire.html

Great. I was annoyed thinking I'd probably have to wait forever to see it. Grrr it's pathetic UK release window.
EvaUnit02
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by EvaUnit02 »

Laura Dern looks like a man in drag on that boxart.
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by bradavon »

True but it's Lynch so the unusual is good.
thelostdragon
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by thelostdragon »

Uhm... what is it all about this film? Only because it's David Lynch? It's the worst piece of crap I have seen during the last two years and don't tell me it's art or accuse me of being ignorant and not understanding Lynch's type of filmmaking. I liked "Mulholland Drive".
gasteropod
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by gasteropod »

I disagree, LD, you're totally entitled to your opinion, but I do think it is a piece of art. I enjoyed it a lot, and will definitely be buying it.
EvaUnit02
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by EvaUnit02 »

Extras list up.
# David Lynch Masterclass
# David Lynch Interview at the Cartier Foundation
# Guardian/NFT Interview with David Lynch
# A Short Interview in London
# A Conversation with David Lynch by Mike Figgis

The last extra is ironic. A shit director interviewing a great one. (Figgis made one great film and has made crap ever since. Unwatchable pretentious Dogme 95 shit and the occasional crap Hollywood film If you disagree then I dare you to watch The Loss of Sexual Innocence and Hotel.)
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by bradavon »

Leaving Las Vegas is outstanding though.

Pity the deleted scenes as per usual aren't included but hey ho I didn't expect them.
thelostdragon wrote:Uhm... what is it all about this film? Only because it's David Lynch? It's the worst piece of crap I have seen during the last two years
Well as Eva and I haven't seen it we're bound to be excited. That's what "it's" all about.

Mulholland Drive is outstanding, Blue Velvet excellent and Lost Highway rubbish. Maybe I didn't get that one but I thought it was weird for the sake of being weird.

Still even Lost Highway at a low is better than most of the crap Hollywood gives us. Take this year "so called" blockbusters not one good one yet.
gasteropod
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by gasteropod »

I'm surprised that you love Mulholland Drive, yet dislike Lost Highway, Brad. Perhaps you should give it another go.
EvaUnit02
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by EvaUnit02 »

bradavon wrote:Leaving Las Vegas is outstanding though.
LLV is the "one great film" I was refering to in my original post, duh.
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by bradavon »

I know but it's worth repeating. Maybe I should Gasteropod. It's weird LH just "didn't work" for me.
EvaUnit02
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by EvaUnit02 »

2.5/5
Let's be honest it was too fucking long for one. 3-hours long, fuck. The shit load of stifiled dialogue delivery + reaction shots didn't help much either.

On a plus side, Lynch's direction of individual setpieces was superb. The visual limitations of digital camera footage was overcome and the resulting cinematography was marvellous (as was the score+soundtrack).
gasteropod
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by gasteropod »

Were you scared at a couple of points in the film? I was.
EvaUnit02
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by EvaUnit02 »

gasteropod wrote:Were you scared at a couple of points in the film? I was.
No. I was thinking throughout the last hour or so:- "Finely crafted scene and all...BUT END ALREADY, I WANT TO GO HOME AND SLEEP."

Movie went on so damn long that I missed the last bus and since I'm too tight for a cab ride, I spent the night in a netcafe.
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by bradavon »

It turns out the R1 2 Disc SE was released today with the UK R2 2 Disc SE being released on the 20th.

Checking out this R1 review it looks to be the way to go what with it's 75 minutes of deleted scenes, the extras on the UK DVD look nice too but I'd prefer the deleted scenes. It also has a rather unusual audio selection, to quote the review:
A buffet of aural options is included, with Lynch providing a pair of Dolby Digital 5.1 tracks, one tailored for near-field monitor playback and one better suited for far-field monitor playback.
You can read the rest of the review here: http://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/read.php?ID=29701

It's good to see both DVDs getting such solid treatment.

p.s - I still want to see it despite it's mostly bad reviews. I didn't know you'd seen it Eva.
EvaUnit02
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by EvaUnit02 »

R1 SE is the one to go for, as Lynch personally supervised it. TBH I'd wait and see if there's an HD-DVD release, I'm getting a 360 at the end of the month and the HD-DVD addon not too long after.
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by bradavon »

Good point. It's getting a hard one to call now a days whether we should wait or assume the HD version is a way off.

Optimum are supporting HD-DVD but AFAIK haven't released that many. I've never heard of "Absurda / Rhino" before so it's anyone's guess which they support if at all.

Any other preference to the R1 than it being Lynch supervised? Checking out UK R2 reviews the extras look pretty light so I'd go with the R1 too.

p.s - The R1 is listed as an LE too.
gasteropod
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by gasteropod »

Optimum are also supporting Blu-ray, so I'm waiting to see if they release it on that. I don't want to buy a shitty PAL DVD, even if the film was shot in SD.
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by bradavon »

Actually the NTSC DVD looks pretty shitty too, it's how was shot. But then I know you didn't mean that.

EDIT: Holey shit the R1 2 Disc SE is only $12.95/£6.95 at CD WOW using the USD link with $2 voucher! That's down from £11.99 from the UK site without vouchers and $22.54/£11.37 from DVD Pacific.

At that price I'll order it, it's a nice product so would've likely been released with the DVD or not for a while yet.
gasteropod
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by gasteropod »

Unfortunately I can't play R1 DVDs in my PS3 so I don't want to buy anymore. The picture from my DVD player is shit now that I can't even use an RGB connection (it went green on my new TV).
EvaUnit02
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by EvaUnit02 »

gasteropod wrote:The picture from my DVD player is shit now that I can't even use an RGB connection (it went green on my new TV).
RGB is shit anyway, as it can only do interlaced. Use component + progressive scan.