The General HD Releases Thread!

Discuss High-Definition Technology & Releases
gasteropod
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by gasteropod »

Tut, that's putting me off HD formats already. They should all be 1080P, or not release them.

As for The Matrix - they had better release them separately, because I do not want those awful sequels soiling my collection.
captainjoe
King of Beggars

Post by captainjoe »

gasteropod wrote:Tut, that's putting me off HD formats already. They should all be 1080P, or not release them.

As for The Matrix - they had better release them separately, because I do not want those awful sequels soiling my collection.
As far as I know it's only Warner Bros. early DVD transfers that have these problem. Universal seems fine.
saltysam
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by saltysam »

i Have Blazing Saddles & Enter The Dragon,both Warner and to my eyes they look superb
working class blu-ray fan
captainjoe
King of Beggars

Post by captainjoe »

saltysam wrote:i Have Blazing Saddles & Enter The Dragon,both Warner and to my eyes they look superb
That's because those HD Transfers are from newer masters. I meant many of the HD-DVDs and Blu-rays from Warner which are struck from an outdated, interlaced master made in late 90s very early 00s (Fugitive: 1998, not the newer 2001, Perfect Storm: 2000, Lethal Weapon:1998, etc.)
Those that you own and many other Warner titles are from 02-07. Those won't contain any interlacing.
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by bradavon »

So you're saying they have a newer Fugitive master but aren't using it???
EvaUnit02
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by EvaUnit02 »

bradavon wrote:La Haine is going to be Bare-bones on UK HD-DVD from Optimum right?
Yes.
bradavon wrote:Blade Runner
I bet that they'll only put out ONE of the FOUR cuts on HD-DVD, likely the Final Cut (or whatever they're calling Ridley's recently created proper DC).
bradavon wrote:
Brad, I recall that you asked about what codecs the studios have been using for Blu-ray, I looked it up.
And? :D
It seems that everyone is using MPEG2 for BD, except for Fox.
Ghost in the Shell
Awesome, that'll be a must buy for me if it has English subs.
EvaUnit02
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by EvaUnit02 »

Universal HD-DVD plans for 2007:-
Today Universal Studios Home Entertainment (USHE) revealed plans to release more than 100 new film and television titles exclusively on HD DVD in 2007. Perennial favourites such as Scarface and instant classics like The 40-Year-Old Virgin, Battlestar Galactica Season 1 and Oscar-winning Brokeback Mountain will be joined by dozens of new titles released day and date with the DVD.

Among the additional new titles to be released in 2007 are the Oscar-nominated Children of Men, the critically acclaimed epic drama The Good Shepherd, and the high-octane Smokin' Aces. Also on deck for release this year are catalog favourites including Bruce Almighty; The Bourne Identity; Meet The Fockers; American Pie; Inside Man; Pride & Prejudice; The Big Lebowski; Liar Liar; Lock, Stock & Two Smoking Barrels; Brazil; Erin Brockovich; Shaun of the Dead; Dawn of the Dead; Slap Shot; and Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind.
More than 90% of the planned 2007 Universal titles will be released as combo discs – which feature an HD DVD version and a standard DVD version of the movie on the same disc.

(source)
captainjoe
King of Beggars

Post by captainjoe »

bradavon wrote:So you're saying they have a newer Fugitive master but aren't using it???
Exactly. They used the 98 transfer instead of the 2001 transfer. I have no idea why though.
Source: http://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/read.php ... 59&___rd=1

" As if that weren't upsetting enough, it appears that this was the transfer originally struck for the 1997 DVD release, even though the studio should have in its archives a newer master used for the 2001 Special Edition DVD. You can tell the difference by a production flub at time code 18:57 on the HD DVD. After the train crash, there's a shot of the wreckage with a crew member's head briefly visible in the frame. That flub is present in the 1997 DVD, but was digitally erased for the 2001 DVD, yet appears again on the HD DVD. "
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by bradavon »

Thanks CJ. That sounds like a mastering error. Not that that means squat :shock:
EvaUnit02 wrote:La Haine is going to be Bare-bones on UK HD-DVD from Optimum right? - Yes
Thanks. No loss I'd never get round to watching the 110-120 minute extra anyway. I'd have liked the commentary though, oh well.

If the Tin was £10 I'd pick it up then the HD Disc but at £16-18 it's to much when I'll get the HD Disc.
EvaUnit02 wrote:Blade Runner - I bet that they'll only put out ONE of the FOUR cuts on HD-DVD, likely the Final Cut (or whatever they're calling Ridley's recently created proper DC).
So do I. TBH and this is assuming I prefer the FC I've really only interest in one cut anyway. For example I'll never watch anything less than the DC.

I bet it will be the FC too, it's to early for double disc or more HD Discs (generally speaking).
EvaUnit02 wrote:It seems that everyone is using MPEG2 for BD, except for Fox.
Bugger. I thought you'd say that. Oh well if it exists on BD and HD-DVD but the BD isn't from Fox I'll just have to get the HD-DVD instead.

There's really no excuse to continue to use MPEG2.
EvaUnit02 wrote:Perennial favourites such as Scarface
Holey moley Batman Scarface. OMG I must own an HD Player now. Come on LG hurry up and release the Combo in the UK.

I'm not even bothered it can't play HD-DVDs IME stuff as well they're extras so no "real" loss.
saltysam
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by saltysam »

this list suggests T2 will be the theatrical version

http://hdworld.iforumer.com/viewtopic.p ... um=hdworld
saltysam
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by saltysam »

Built up a nice little collection now of 25 hd-dvds which includes 4 combos ( Fearless,American Werewolf, Land of the Dead & Superman Returns) most impressive discs i've watched so far has been Corpse Bride & The Hulk.Black Rain was a revelation as well as it's always looked crap on home video.
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by bradavon »

Lucky sod :D . By the time I jump in you'll have hundreds ;) . It's so crazy the uptake of HD would be sooo much greater if it weren't for pig headed studios not being able to decide on one format.

What are the worst or ones you've been generally disappointed with?

Any plans to get a BD Player or PS3?
saltysam wrote:this list suggests T2 will be the theatrical version
I'm not surprised but doh! :( . How can they possibly know though???

Kingdom of Heaven (theatrical version) (French release) - What a waste of time.

This is an example where I'd stick with the DVD until the Director's Cut comes. I'd never sit through the Theatrical Cut, to me it's not THE film unless it's the DC.
Lourdes
Royal Tramp

Post by Lourdes »

saltysam wrote:Built up a nice little collection now of 25 hd-dvds which includes 4 combos ( Fearless,American Werewolf, Land of the Dead & Superman Returns) most impressive discs i've watched so far has been Corpse Bride & The Hulk.Black Rain was a revelation as well as it's always looked crap on home video.
Nice. Going to be a while before I start to buy any, there are hardly any titles I really want to see and I'm generally unimpressed with the quality of those I've seen. I hope we start to see titles encoded with AVC.
saltysam
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by saltysam »

haven't watched that many so far most disappointing probably American Werewolf,better than the dvd but not a revelation. Doom isn't that great either but that's my son's movie and he's happy with it :? Land of the Dead is not great either.
captainjoe
King of Beggars

Post by captainjoe »

What are some of the best titles out there in terms of Audio and video? Here's my collection:

* Excellent video quality

-The Adventures of Robin Hood*
-Army of Darkness*
-Batman Begins*
-Casablanca*
-Grand Prix*
-King Kong*
-Forbidden Planet*
-Full Metal Jacket
-Happy Gilmore*
-Mission Impossible
-MI-2
-MI-3*
-Mutiny on the Bounty*
-The Perfect Storm
-The Searchers*
-Terminator 3*
-The Thing*
-Unforgiven*
-Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory

I really have no idea why people say Army of Darkness is a bad transfer. If you're a fan of the movie and haven't picked it up because of the transfer, get it because it looks incredible.
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by bradavon »

Nice collection you've got there CJ. Any plans to delve into BD too?

The price of HD Discs is holding me back a litte. When you can pick DVDs up easily for under £10/USD $20. Having to pay minimum £12/USD 24 and up to £20/USD $40 is a bit much.

I was going to keep collecting Combos when I get an HD-DVD Player but will get the BD if it's also available. Combos really are a rip off. I own a couple but as a rule of thumb they cost loads.
captainjoe
King of Beggars

Post by captainjoe »

no BD for me. Too expensive. I decided I'd only choose one so I went with HD-DVD. I really don't care for combos either. Damn dual-sided discs.
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by bradavon »

BD costs the same as BD, hardware and software is equal. The USA players imported to the UK cost the same anyway.
captainjoe
King of Beggars

Post by captainjoe »

bradavon wrote:BD costs the same as BD, hardware and software is equal. The USA players imported to the UK cost the same anyway.
Of course Blu-ray is as expensive as Blu-ray :wink:

If you meant Blu-ray is as expensive as HD it's not atleast in Canada. Blu-ray costs somewhere around $1200 whereas HD costs somewhere around $700

Generally discs prices are same but sometimes Blu-ray can be $29.99 for catalogue titles whereas HD are $23.99.
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by bradavon »

captainjoe wrote:Of course Blu-ray is as expensive as Blu-ray :wink:
Oops :D
captainjoe wrote:If you meant Blu-ray is as expensive as HD it's not atleast in Canada.
Nope as BD is as HD but yes I did mean BD is as expensive as HD-DVD.
captainjoe wrote:Blu-ray costs somewhere around $1200 whereas HD costs somewhere around $700
Is that Canadian or US dollars? Surprising those prices are roughly the same we'd pay here. I expected them to be much less.

Agreed generally speaking BD is more but if you look around it's roughly the same. Here are the two examples I was talking about:

BD USD $730: http://www.movietyme.com/catalog/produc ... rrency=USD
HD-DVD USD $560: http://www.movietyme.com/catalog/produc ... rrency=USD

Besides none of these prices make BD expensive just more expensive, HD-DVD is still what I'd call expensive too. Those prices you quote seem a bit high.
captainjoe wrote:Generally discs prices are same but sometimes Blu-ray can be $29.99 for catalogue titles whereas HD are $23.99.
HD Combos are more than both though ;)

Okay granted BD is more but relatively it's about the same.
captainjoe
King of Beggars

Post by captainjoe »

Well at my Best Buy they have a BD player for $1000-1200 (canadian) but some are cheaper then others I'm sure. But yeah combo discs are more expensive but I was talking about catalogue titles and not new releases. They can be the same though.
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by bradavon »

Ah I never bother to look at high street stores they always rip us off.
captainjoe
King of Beggars

Post by captainjoe »

bradavon wrote:Ah I never bother to look at high street stores they always rip us off.
Very true. I saw a disc for The Break Up for $54.99!!! What a rip off.
EvaUnit02
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by EvaUnit02 »

captainjoe wrote:Very true. I saw a disc for The Break Up for $54.99!!! What a rip off.
I wouldn't even pay a $1 for that dreadful film.
captainjoe
King of Beggars

Post by captainjoe »

:lol: