Asian Movies in HD!
-
bradavon
- Bruce Lee's Fist
- Posts: 24430
- Joined: 27 Oct 2004, 20:30
Thanks for the heads up.
Yes Legend is DM2, it's almost for sure going to be the Disney cut, thankfully it's only a minor cut.
Disney fucked the subs up for Iron Monkey, adding plot points in that don't exist. I'm sure it was left uncut though.
That said I'm still all over it. I'm getting Hero and IM without a doubt. Pity Hero will be the Theatrical Cut. I don't mind, I never thought the Director's Cut changed it much really.
IM is one of the most fun Martial Arts film ever. I don't recall there's anything wrong with their Hero or Zatiochi DVDs.
p.s - I take it these aren't just in a box set Clueless Monkey?
Yes Legend is DM2, it's almost for sure going to be the Disney cut, thankfully it's only a minor cut.
Disney fucked the subs up for Iron Monkey, adding plot points in that don't exist. I'm sure it was left uncut though.
That said I'm still all over it. I'm getting Hero and IM without a doubt. Pity Hero will be the Theatrical Cut. I don't mind, I never thought the Director's Cut changed it much really.
IM is one of the most fun Martial Arts film ever. I don't recall there's anything wrong with their Hero or Zatiochi DVDs.
p.s - I take it these aren't just in a box set Clueless Monkey?
- Clueless_Monkey
- Jade Tiger
- Posts: 109
- Joined: 10 Apr 2008, 21:34
- Contact:
- HungFist
- Bruce Lee's Fist
- Posts: 11925
- Joined: 14 Dec 2005, 15:50
- Location: Japan
- Contact:
The cut is not the real problem, but the dub and new musicbradavon wrote:Yes Legend is DM2, it's almost for sure going to be the Disney cut, thankfully it's only a minor cut.
Zatoichi had heavily altered visual look (very colorful, while all other dvds have the supposedly intended muted look).bradavon wrote:I don't recall there's anything wrong with their Hero or Zatiochi DVDs.
- grim_tales
- Bruce Lee's Fist
- Posts: 22163
- Joined: 25 Oct 2004, 18:34
- Location: St. Albans, UK
-
bradavon
- Bruce Lee's Fist
- Posts: 24430
- Joined: 27 Oct 2004, 20:30
You're wrong. Like I said there's nothing wrong with their Zatoichi and Hero DVDs, so why expect them to fuck up the BDs?Markgway wrote:Everyone reading this knows that those BDs will be shit.
Hero and IM I'll certainly be getting. I can live with the dubious subtitles.
Thanks.Clueless_Monkey wrote:Right, these will also be available as single releases.
I forgot about that too. I remember being drawn to which I prefer. Agreed the muted palette is the better one (I remember the alteration being quite extreme) but it wouldn't put me off.HungFist wrote:Zatoichi had heavily altered visual look (very colorful, while all other dvds have the supposedly intended muted look).
Not that it matters, there's already a decent UK BD of this one. If I were to buy it, I'd get that one instead.
I didn't know that but for me dodgy subs aren't a reason alone to pass up on a release. It could be ages before the HK BD comes and oddly the USA BD is likely to cost much less. The HK BD is likely to be the Director's Cut though.grim_tales wrote:Also the translation on the Miramax cut of Hero is less poetic IMO compared to the HK DVD, they also add more exposition/explanation.
EDIT: Okay they're all fucked up except for Hero
- grim_tales
- Bruce Lee's Fist
- Posts: 22163
- Joined: 25 Oct 2004, 18:34
- Location: St. Albans, UK
-
romerojpg
- Bruce Lee's Fist
- Posts: 8520
- Joined: 26 Oct 2004, 14:12
- Location: CLOSE TO YOUR MAMMA
There is no decent UK Blu Ray, its shite, anyone saying anything less is blind, I couldnt stand the Blu Ray its that poor.bradavon wrote:I forgot about that too. I remember being drawn to which I prefer. Agreed the muted palette is the better one (I remember the alteration being quite extreme) but it wouldn't put me off.HungFist wrote:Zatoichi had heavily altered visual look (very colorful, while all other dvds have the supposedly intended muted look).
Not that it matters, there's already a decent UK BD of this one. If I were to buy it, I'd get that one instead.
Miramax will easily decimate the UK transfer thats not hard. The more colourful look is far better in every way (speaking as someone who has acttually watched both versions and not looked at a few crap screen shots).
The colourful version is what the director wanted anyway so it is NOT intended to be muted at all, so Miramax are in the right, its the other drab transfers which are wrong as the dirctor has said many times he wanted it colourful with georgous bright blue skys and in your face reds and greens etc...
but somehow the idiots behind the film fucked it up for home release and the sky is blown out shit white! (making it look like the cinematographer's a moron and did not know how to expose for the sky) the reds are bland and the greens are like poo brown.
Yet somehow the (wrong apprently) american transfer looks like he wanted it, so obviously thats the right one.
-
gasteropod
- Bruce Lee's Fist
- Posts: 6868
- Joined: 03 Nov 2004, 18:16
-
bradavon
- Bruce Lee's Fist
- Posts: 24430
- Joined: 27 Oct 2004, 20:30
The rest of the world is blind in your eyesromerojpg wrote:There is no decent UK Blu Ray, its shite, anyone saying anything less is blind, I couldnt stand the Blu Ray its that poor.
If that were really true, how come the Miramax DVD is the "only" release using this colour palette? All other DVDs (worldwide) use the same muted colours. I even remember it this way in the cinema and I never normally remember how it looked in the cinema.romerojpg wrote:Yet somehow the (wrong apprently) american transfer looks like he wanted it, so obviously thats the right one.
Well you have normal expectations, unlike another on this forum. Artificial Eye rarely do wrong when it comes to DVDs. I'm sure it's decent.gasteropod wrote:Well I'm not blind and I think the UK BD is good
I cannot wait to see IM on BD. It's so much god damn fun. It's also a nice length, not outstaying it's welcome.
-
romerojpg
- Bruce Lee's Fist
- Posts: 8520
- Joined: 26 Oct 2004, 14:12
- Location: CLOSE TO YOUR MAMMA
The UK Blu ray is not good for me at all. I had to try it on a few screens/players to take in what I was seeing, the vertical lines going over the entire film from beginning to end mean its an instant fail! anyone letting that thru quality control is a moron. I cannot believe anyone could not see that appauling problem with the disc. It guts the transfer instantly
barley an upgrade over my Japanese disc in anyway, but to hae the vertical line problem is a big problem over the dvds. A few discs have had this crappy problem, why anyone lets it get onto a final disc is beyond me.
"Suspicious" you can be if you want to be about the look, I guess it will never come to be fact what the went on with the films transfer, the odd comment here and there may mean one thing or another.
Still I have read plenty to make me think it was to be colourful, seen all the documetaries on the film that I could find on the discs and net and read many articles, many of them mentioned a colourful look when shooting the film.
Even on the main documentary on the UK Blu Ray there is a section on the big rain sword fight, they say they were going for a wonderful vivid blue sky with rain at the same time, as it has not been done before as it is jard to do and talk about that part a bit.
Then in the final film the sky is white thru contrast ajusting!!!!! why wait for a stunning day to get the amazing blue sky look, then when the film comes out change the look so vastly that there is NO blue! instead it's shitty blown out white which they could have done on any day of the year, and saved themself days waiting for a perfect blue day.
also the black levels on the film are shit, there are NO blacks on the disc, just light grey, its awful looking. Any film that has not one single shot with black in it is a joke, night time scenes with grey for night, not a great look that.
Again who knows, they may have suddely waited all that time getting a wonderful colourful film on film, waiting for perfect sunshine on rare days and costing them shooting days. Then when it came to DVD they changed it so it looks like shit, as thats the look of the film now in my eyes.
Maybe it was some sort of miscommunication for the transfer, or maybe they changed their mind when the film was in the bag and ajusted the contrast so much then, either way it's a painful look for me now
"Suspicious" you can be if you want to be about the look, I guess it will never come to be fact what the went on with the films transfer, the odd comment here and there may mean one thing or another.
Still I have read plenty to make me think it was to be colourful, seen all the documetaries on the film that I could find on the discs and net and read many articles, many of them mentioned a colourful look when shooting the film.
Even on the main documentary on the UK Blu Ray there is a section on the big rain sword fight, they say they were going for a wonderful vivid blue sky with rain at the same time, as it has not been done before as it is jard to do and talk about that part a bit.
Then in the final film the sky is white thru contrast ajusting!!!!! why wait for a stunning day to get the amazing blue sky look, then when the film comes out change the look so vastly that there is NO blue! instead it's shitty blown out white which they could have done on any day of the year, and saved themself days waiting for a perfect blue day.
also the black levels on the film are shit, there are NO blacks on the disc, just light grey, its awful looking. Any film that has not one single shot with black in it is a joke, night time scenes with grey for night, not a great look that.
Again who knows, they may have suddely waited all that time getting a wonderful colourful film on film, waiting for perfect sunshine on rare days and costing them shooting days. Then when it came to DVD they changed it so it looks like shit, as thats the look of the film now in my eyes.
Maybe it was some sort of miscommunication for the transfer, or maybe they changed their mind when the film was in the bag and ajusted the contrast so much then, either way it's a painful look for me now
-
gasteropod
- Bruce Lee's Fist
- Posts: 6868
- Joined: 03 Nov 2004, 18:16
-
gasteropod
- Bruce Lee's Fist
- Posts: 6868
- Joined: 03 Nov 2004, 18:16
Vertical lines?! I've watched the film through twice on the BD and seen no such thing, DVD Beaver didn't either. It's not that I don't notice things, the digital artefacting on the Chocolate UK BD pissed me right off and I've not read that mentioned anywhere else. I also have a problem with the Forgetting Sarah Marshall BD, yet every review I've seen rates it highly, it looks like shit to me.romerojpg wrote:The UK Blu ray is not good for me at all. I had to try it on a few screens/players to take in what I was seeing, the vertical lines going over the entire film from beginning to end mean its an instant fail! anyone letting that thru quality control is a moron. I cannot believe anyone could not see that appauling problem with the disc. It guts the transfer instantlybarley an upgrade over my Japanese disc in anyway, but to hae the vertical line problem is a big problem over the dvds. A few discs have had this crappy problem, why anyone lets it get onto a final disc is beyond me.
- Shingster
- Bruce Lee's Fist
- Posts: 4140
- Joined: 08 Sep 2006, 11:14
Romero, you say that the Miramax DVD represents how the film is supposed to look and that the r2j/uk/everywhere else DVDs are wrong, but how do you account for the people who watched Zatoichi at international film festivals and stated it looked deaturated/bleached in the cinemas as well?
Just because they were shooting a bright blue sky, colourful scene doesn't mean they didn't decide to alter the look of the film later on!
Just because they were shooting a bright blue sky, colourful scene doesn't mean they didn't decide to alter the look of the film later on!
- grim_tales
- Bruce Lee's Fist
- Posts: 22163
- Joined: 25 Oct 2004, 18:34
- Location: St. Albans, UK
-
gasteropod
- Bruce Lee's Fist
- Posts: 6868
- Joined: 03 Nov 2004, 18:16
-
bradavon
- Bruce Lee's Fist
- Posts: 24430
- Joined: 27 Oct 2004, 20:30
Me too. I'd love to see ITMFL and 2046 released.gasteropod wrote:Yeah, AE's BDs so far are good, I'm hoping they'll release more WKW on it soon.
Why did you snip what I said up? It now reads like I was talking about Zatiochi and Hero, when I was talking about IM. To clarify, IMO dubious don't constitute a fucked up BD. You have to draw the line somewhere, otherwise you'd be finding faults forever.Markgway wrote:Nothing wrong or dubious subs? Make up your mind.
One minute you're saying it's supposed to look like the Miramax DVD, the next you say you don't care. Make your mind up x2.romerojpg wrote:I couldnt care less how it is supposed to look
It definitely had the muted colours when I saw it in the cinema. Like I said I never normally remember this sort of thing but remember thinking at the time, it was oddly lacking in colour. I was thinking it maybe a duff print or something similar. Obviously I now know better.
-
gasteropod
- Bruce Lee's Fist
- Posts: 6868
- Joined: 03 Nov 2004, 18:16
-
gasteropod
- Bruce Lee's Fist
- Posts: 6868
- Joined: 03 Nov 2004, 18:16
-
gasteropod
- Bruce Lee's Fist
- Posts: 6868
- Joined: 03 Nov 2004, 18:16
Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon UK BD review: http://www.dvdactive.com/reviews/dvd/cr ... agon4.html
