Asian Movies in HD!

Discuss High-Definition Technology & Releases
Post Reply
gasteropod
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 6868
Joined: 03 Nov 2004, 18:16

Post by gasteropod »

I hope they don't mess it up and also hope it's the director's cut, can't trust Optimum.
romerojpg
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 8520
Joined: 26 Oct 2004, 14:12
Location: CLOSE TO YOUR MAMMA

Post by romerojpg »

Mmmmm Optimum.....
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 24430
Joined: 27 Oct 2004, 20:30

Post by bradavon »

I bet it's the theatrical cut with that annoying integrated branching crap. I know the HK DVD is but cannot remember if the Optimum UK DVD is too. I've still not seen my HK DVD.
User avatar
Shingster
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 4140
Joined: 08 Sep 2006, 11:14

Post by Shingster »

It's a Blu-ray Brad, if they add both prints they will be independantly selectable.
gasteropod
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 6868
Joined: 03 Nov 2004, 18:16

Post by gasteropod »

:lol:
User avatar
Clueless_Monkey
Jade Tiger
Posts: 109
Joined: 10 Apr 2008, 21:34
Contact:

Post by Clueless_Monkey »

Looks like Police Story and Once Upon A Time in China will be coming to Blu-ray Disc in June as well! :headbang:
The Blu-ray Disc deal will also include Jackie Chan’s “Police Story” parts one through three, and Tsui Hark’s Jet Li starrer “Once Upon a Time in China” parts one through three. The titles are all slated for June release.
http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/hr/con ... 2a2dae08e3
http://blog.affenheimtheater.de/en/2009 ... -ray-disc/
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 24430
Joined: 27 Oct 2004, 20:30

Post by bradavon »

Fantastic. Thanks Monkey.
Shingster wrote:It's a Blu-ray Brad
And? They could add both prints just as easily on DVD as they could BD, presuming they use 2 discs or don't care about quality. My point, the fact it's BD is no guarantee of anything!
gasteropod
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 6868
Joined: 03 Nov 2004, 18:16

Post by gasteropod »

Yeah but if it's branching then it'll be seamless since it's Blu-ray, so what's the problem? It's not going to be like the HK DVD where you have to press Enter whenever the football symbol comes up :lol:
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 24430
Joined: 27 Oct 2004, 20:30

Post by bradavon »

How do you know for sure? I'm sure you're right but just because it's BD that doesn't mean it "has" to be seamless. DVD is just as capable as seamless branching as BD is, it doesn't mean we've been given integrated branching at times.

As it stands I suspect we'll be getting the theatrical or director's cut, not both.
romerojpg
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 8520
Joined: 26 Oct 2004, 14:12
Location: CLOSE TO YOUR MAMMA

Post by romerojpg »

Seriously who cares haha

Wait till its out, get the facts, then decide :D
User avatar
Shingster
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 4140
Joined: 08 Sep 2006, 11:14

Post by Shingster »

bradavon wrote:DVD is just as capable as seamless branching as BD is
Err, no it isn't! Seamless branching on DVD was always a pain in the arse to produce and implement, and had compatability problems on DVD, on Blu-ray it is MUCH better done.
User avatar
HungFist
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 11924
Joined: 14 Dec 2005, 15:50
Location: Japan
Contact:

Post by HungFist »

bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 24430
Joined: 27 Oct 2004, 20:30

Post by bradavon »

Shingster wrote:Err, no it isn't! Seamless branching on DVD was always a pain in the arse to produce and implement, and had compatability problems on DVD, on Blu-ray it is MUCH better done.
Really? I've not read of DVD compatibility problems for years. I still say they're more likely to give us multiple discs than branching though.
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 24430
Joined: 27 Oct 2004, 20:30

Post by bradavon »

Great, thanks. There are also many other fantastic films coming too. For me:

Nikita
Leon - If it's much better than the German BD I already own
The Elephant Man

I already own La Haine and The Pianist on HD-DVD.
gasteropod
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 6868
Joined: 03 Nov 2004, 18:16

Post by gasteropod »

I watched the Nikita BD tonight (US Sony) and it was awesome, the picture quality was excellent!
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 24430
Joined: 27 Oct 2004, 20:30

Post by bradavon »

Fantastic. I've been thinking about getting it. I doubt the UK offering will have much in the way of extras. It's annoying the USA BD is barebones though, when the DVD isn't. Sony really should've got hold of MGM's extras.

Where did you get it from? Cheap I hope.
gasteropod
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 6868
Joined: 03 Nov 2004, 18:16

Post by gasteropod »

I got it from MovieTyme for £13.99 because I had a £1 voucher.
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 24430
Joined: 27 Oct 2004, 20:30

Post by bradavon »

Thanks. A bit pricey for a catalogue title. I can wait.
saltysam
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 9357
Joined: 27 Oct 2004, 19:27

Post by saltysam »

Amazon have Shaolin Soccer up with a 112 minute running time

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Shaolin-Soccer- ... 998&sr=1-5
User avatar
Shingster
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 4140
Joined: 08 Sep 2006, 11:14

Post by Shingster »

I've put in a request for the BD @DVDTimes, so hopefully we'll get a check disc nice and early.
gasteropod
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 6868
Joined: 03 Nov 2004, 18:16

Post by gasteropod »

Nice 8)
User avatar
Clueless_Monkey
Jade Tiger
Posts: 109
Joined: 10 Apr 2008, 21:34
Contact:

Post by Clueless_Monkey »

Joy Sales will release The Shinjuku Incident starring Jackie Chan on July 9, 2009.
http://www.asianblurayguide.com/detail/ ... ong_china/
Trailer: http://shinjukuincident.emp.hk/en_main.html
User avatar
Clueless_Monkey
Jade Tiger
Posts: 109
Joined: 10 Apr 2008, 21:34
Contact:

Post by Clueless_Monkey »

Miramax will release Hero, Legend of Drunken Master, Zatoichi and Iron Monkey on BD in September!
http://blog.affenheimtheater.de/en/2009 ... -ray-disc/
Image
gasteropod
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 6868
Joined: 03 Nov 2004, 18:16

Post by gasteropod »

I'm interested in Iron Monkey, but I already own the UK BD of Zatoichi. Is 'Legend of Drunken Master' Drunken Master II? I presume it'll be the cut version.

Are those your websites in your signature? I only discovered them about a week ago and think they're excellent!
User avatar
Clueless_Monkey
Jade Tiger
Posts: 109
Joined: 10 Apr 2008, 21:34
Contact:

Post by Clueless_Monkey »

gasteropod wrote:I'm interested in Iron Monkey, but I already own the UK BD of Zatoichi. Is 'Legend of Drunken Master' Drunken Master II? I presume it'll be the cut version.

Are those your websites in your signature? I only discovered them about a week ago and think they're excellent!
According to the cover art on the box it should be Drunken Master 2: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0111512/
I'm gonna wait for reviews before I order these titles, you just can't trust Miramax with stuff like this :(

Yes, they're both my sites. Glad you like them :)
Post Reply