The HMV Bargains Thread!
-
gasteropod
- Bruce Lee's Fist
- Posts: 6868
- Joined: 03 Nov 2004, 18:16
-
gasteropod
- Bruce Lee's Fist
- Posts: 6868
- Joined: 03 Nov 2004, 18:16
Hmm, I find that hard to believe. Yeah more expensive to manufacture, but not making a profit on discs costing £17.99+ each?? Whatever!saltysam wrote:probably because BD discs are far more expensive to manufacture than dvd. in fact someone in the industry recently made a comment on the dvdforums that the rrp is barely a break even price for them.
-
gasteropod
- Bruce Lee's Fist
- Posts: 6868
- Joined: 03 Nov 2004, 18:16
- IronMonkey
- Royal Tramp
- Posts: 1950
- Joined: 08 Dec 2004, 16:49
I would probably put money on the fact that BDs more than likely cost less than £3 or £4 each to make at the moment, and I bet they end up costing about 20p each in the future!
Whoever said the companies don't make much profit on a £17.99 disc obviously has no clue!
Whoever said the companies don't make much profit on a £17.99 disc obviously has no clue!
TH-42PX80 | DMP-BD50 (MR BD & DVD) | SA-XR55 | SB-TP20 | XBox 360 Slim 250GB | XBox (XBMC, 160GB) | Zotac XBMC HTPC | Gaming PC | 8TB Media Server
-
saltysam
- Bruce Lee's Fist
- Posts: 9357
- Joined: 27 Oct 2004, 19:27
when they first come out sony were charging over $23 wholesale in the states according to this
http://www.infomaticsonline.co.uk/vnune ... lu-ray-dvd
http://www.infomaticsonline.co.uk/vnune ... lu-ray-dvd
working class blu-ray fan
-
saltysam
- Bruce Lee's Fist
- Posts: 9357
- Joined: 27 Oct 2004, 19:27
Passion of the Christ 2-disc £2.99
http://www.hmv.co.uk/hmvweb/displayProd ... sku=612176
Superman Returns 2-disc £2.99
http://www.hmv.co.uk/hmvweb/displayProd ... sku=545351
loads more
http://www.hmv.co.uk/hmvweb/navigate.do ... ageID=3102
http://www.hmv.co.uk/hmvweb/displayProd ... sku=612176
Superman Returns 2-disc £2.99
http://www.hmv.co.uk/hmvweb/displayProd ... sku=545351
loads more
http://www.hmv.co.uk/hmvweb/navigate.do ... ageID=3102
-
Lourdes
- Royal Tramp
- Posts: 1994
- Joined: 08 Jan 2005, 16:19
That has nought to do with manufacturing costs and ancient history in any case.saltysam wrote:when they first come out sony were charging over $23 wholesale in the states according to this
http://www.infomaticsonline.co.uk/vnune ... lu-ray-dvd
BD replication is less than a dollar a disc and it will eventually cost less than DVD after plant setup costs have been offset as the discs themselves are easier to make.
-
saltysam
- Bruce Lee's Fist
- Posts: 9357
- Joined: 27 Oct 2004, 19:27
Omen Pentology (6 discs) £7.99 delivered.
http://www.hmv.co.uk/hmvweb/displayProd ... sku=565817
Willy Wonka 2-film set £4.99
http://www.hmv.co.uk/hmvweb/displayProd ... sku=716198
http://www.hmv.co.uk/hmvweb/displayProd ... sku=565817
Willy Wonka 2-film set £4.99
http://www.hmv.co.uk/hmvweb/displayProd ... sku=716198
-
bradavon
- Bruce Lee's Fist
- Posts: 24430
- Joined: 27 Oct 2004, 20:30
Thanks Salty. They're Optimum discs btw 
I presume the deal is obvious and you don't need to go to the counter to find out?
Mulholland Drive and La Haine are great at £6.66 each, those are still usually well over a tenner. I'll see if I can pop in at the w/e.
The titles are (I presume they're all included?):
Mulholland Drive
The Pianist
Brotherhood of the Wolf
Deer Hunter
La Haine
Pan's Labyrinth - Also on BD
Wolf Creek - Also on BD and also only the shorter Theatrical Cut
The Host - Also on BD
I'm interested in Mulholland Drive, La Haine and probably Brotherhood of the Wolf. I'd prefer The Host but that's been released on BD and I have been meaning to re-watch Brotherhood of the Wolf for ages.
I've been meaning to pick up Mulholland Drive and La Haine for a while.
EDIT: They're also £9.99 on HMV's website but there is no 3 for £20 deal
I presume the deal is obvious and you don't need to go to the counter to find out?
Mulholland Drive and La Haine are great at £6.66 each, those are still usually well over a tenner. I'll see if I can pop in at the w/e.
The titles are (I presume they're all included?):
Mulholland Drive
The Pianist
Brotherhood of the Wolf
Deer Hunter
La Haine
Pan's Labyrinth - Also on BD
Wolf Creek - Also on BD and also only the shorter Theatrical Cut
The Host - Also on BD
I'm interested in Mulholland Drive, La Haine and probably Brotherhood of the Wolf. I'd prefer The Host but that's been released on BD and I have been meaning to re-watch Brotherhood of the Wolf for ages.
I've been meaning to pick up Mulholland Drive and La Haine for a while.
EDIT: They're also £9.99 on HMV's website but there is no 3 for £20 deal
Last edited by bradavon on 05 Apr 2008, 05:31, edited 1 time in total.