The funny thing is I've now sent a letter to Customs. I may as well let that run it's course and also send a letter to Royal Mail afterwards too. I normally wouldn't try and get refunded twice but seeing as how completely unhelpful and how much time they've caused me to waste I think I deserve it. Besides it's not as if I can stop the Customs refund anyway now.I'm sorry to hear that you had to pay for the customs for the order XXX to be delivered. I apologize if this has caused you nay inconvenience.
However I've requested a refund of $25.66 to the payment method you used for your original purchase. This refund should go through within 2 to 3 business days. You should see it as a credit on your next statement.
The Amazon Bargains Thread!
-
bradavon
- Bruce Lee's Fist
- Posts: 24430
- Joined: 27 Oct 2004, 20:30
Yipeey. I'd given up hope after contacting them three times Friday and nothing but today:
-
saltysam
- Bruce Lee's Fist
- Posts: 9357
- Joined: 27 Oct 2004, 19:27
-
bradavon
- Bruce Lee's Fist
- Posts: 24430
- Joined: 27 Oct 2004, 20:30
I've had an interesting update I thought I'd share with you:
Firstly here is the letter I sent to UK Customs:
http://www.alexmccaffrey.com/misc/HM%20 ... Letter.pdf
I've had a reply to my letter:
http://www.alexmccaffrey.com/misc/HM%20 ... sponce.pdf
It doesn't specifically respond to my point that one of them was Free but does effectively by default. It seems I was given dud information, no surprise there then. The letter quotes the value of the discs incorrectly, it should be $49 not $56 but obviously this is immaterial it's still over £18.
I knew Customs wouldn't give me the Royal Mail admin fee too but I thought what the hell I'll ask for it anyway.
It's now very clear if you cannot get a refund out of Amazon (more reason to moan at them!) you certainly aren't going to get one out of UK Customs!
I still think it's absurd you should pay TAX on a Free item, market value or no market value Free should mean Free, but there you go. I for one won't be buying from Amazon.com again with any of their BOGOFF or other type deals, unless the total before discount comes to below £18 (unlikely).
Firstly here is the letter I sent to UK Customs:
http://www.alexmccaffrey.com/misc/HM%20 ... Letter.pdf
I've had a reply to my letter:
http://www.alexmccaffrey.com/misc/HM%20 ... sponce.pdf
It doesn't specifically respond to my point that one of them was Free but does effectively by default. It seems I was given dud information, no surprise there then. The letter quotes the value of the discs incorrectly, it should be $49 not $56 but obviously this is immaterial it's still over £18.
I knew Customs wouldn't give me the Royal Mail admin fee too but I thought what the hell I'll ask for it anyway.
It's now very clear if you cannot get a refund out of Amazon (more reason to moan at them!) you certainly aren't going to get one out of UK Customs!
I still think it's absurd you should pay TAX on a Free item, market value or no market value Free should mean Free, but there you go. I for one won't be buying from Amazon.com again with any of their BOGOFF or other type deals, unless the total before discount comes to below £18 (unlikely).
Last edited by bradavon on 08 Feb 2008, 21:18, edited 2 times in total.
-
saltysam
- Bruce Lee's Fist
- Posts: 9357
- Joined: 27 Oct 2004, 19:27
lots of people at dvd and av forums have had refunds from customs.
50% of hd-dvds here= 2 14.95 titles are well under £18
http://www.amazon.com/gp/feature.html?i ... 1&plpage=1
50% of hd-dvds here= 2 14.95 titles are well under £18
http://www.amazon.com/gp/feature.html?i ... 1&plpage=1
working class blu-ray fan
-
bradavon
- Bruce Lee's Fist
- Posts: 24430
- Joined: 27 Oct 2004, 20:30
Really? Any chance you could copy/paste the DVD Forums text and provide AV Forums links.saltysam wrote:lots of people at dvd and av forums have had refunds from customs.
Was it specifically for BOGOF deals or Refunds in general?
I'd be interested to find out what they said and post my post above to see what differs. My letter is very specific on why they're not paying.
-
bradavon
- Bruce Lee's Fist
- Posts: 24430
- Joined: 27 Oct 2004, 20:30
Lost in Translation and Carlito's Way are only minutely more expensive at DVD Pacific, others maybe too. There's no real rush to get them in this deal.saltysam wrote:50% of hd-dvds here= 2 14.95 titles are well under £18
http://www.amazon.com/gp/feature.html?i ... 1&plpage=1
Although two before Customs is over £18 so maybe it is worth it.
-
saltysam
- Bruce Lee's Fist
- Posts: 9357
- Joined: 27 Oct 2004, 19:27
I have actually claimed my charges back, so speaking from experience they will pay back the "handling charge".
Now my memory is a bit hazy, but if I remember correctly, you must first send HMC&E proof that each parcel was under £18. They will then send you a cheque for the Excise and VAT duty. Remember to photocopy all the postage and customs charges labels.
__________________________________________________ _______________
HM Customs & Excise
Mount Pleasant Postal Depot
Farringdon Road
London
EC1A 1BB
Dear Sir,
As requested, I have provided:
• The postage labels
• The Customs charges labels
Along with the proof:
• Credit card Statement (with amount paid and currency exchange rates used)
• Order Confirmations (again showing prices paid)
That the value of the packages was below £18.00 in each case.
I look forward to hearing from you,
Yours faithfully,
__________________________________________________ ______________
Once HMC&E have sent the money to you, you must take all the proof that HMC&E have refunded the tax, fill out a form that you get from your local post office and send all of it to Royal Mail. (The address is on the form.)
Wait 3 or 4 months for them to send the form et al to a different sorting office and then to send it to the correct one... and voila! You have all your money including Handling charge!
I argued that if I shouldn't have been paying Customs and Excise, then I shouldn't also be paying RM.
Hope this helps.
Now my memory is a bit hazy, but if I remember correctly, you must first send HMC&E proof that each parcel was under £18. They will then send you a cheque for the Excise and VAT duty. Remember to photocopy all the postage and customs charges labels.
__________________________________________________ _______________
HM Customs & Excise
Mount Pleasant Postal Depot
Farringdon Road
London
EC1A 1BB
Dear Sir,
As requested, I have provided:
• The postage labels
• The Customs charges labels
Along with the proof:
• Credit card Statement (with amount paid and currency exchange rates used)
• Order Confirmations (again showing prices paid)
That the value of the packages was below £18.00 in each case.
I look forward to hearing from you,
Yours faithfully,
__________________________________________________ ______________
Once HMC&E have sent the money to you, you must take all the proof that HMC&E have refunded the tax, fill out a form that you get from your local post office and send all of it to Royal Mail. (The address is on the form.)
Wait 3 or 4 months for them to send the form et al to a different sorting office and then to send it to the correct one... and voila! You have all your money including Handling charge!
I argued that if I shouldn't have been paying Customs and Excise, then I shouldn't also be paying RM.
Hope this helps.
working class blu-ray fan
-
saltysam
- Bruce Lee's Fist
- Posts: 9357
- Joined: 27 Oct 2004, 19:27
There is a Customs form you fill in to claim a refund, form C285 which can be down loaded here or obtained from the help line number above;
http://customs.hmrc.gov.uk/channelsP...HMCE_CL_000423
Then send it back to;
HMRC
National Repayments Unit
Priory Court
St Johns Road
Dover
CT17 9SH
Tel: 01304 664482
With copy of your invoice showing what you paid for the dvd and a cover letter explaining why you are applying for a refund. I suggest a photo copy of the customs form showing what you paid as well.
he handling fee is down the post office or courier so you have to claim that back separately. You can do that once you've received the refund from HM Customs and Excise as the letter you receive can be used as proof.
Originally Posted by Captain_Howdy666 View Post
And how long do Royal Mail take to refund that £8 charge?
It varies, my last one took about three weeks.
http://customs.hmrc.gov.uk/channelsP...HMCE_CL_000423
Then send it back to;
HMRC
National Repayments Unit
Priory Court
St Johns Road
Dover
CT17 9SH
Tel: 01304 664482
With copy of your invoice showing what you paid for the dvd and a cover letter explaining why you are applying for a refund. I suggest a photo copy of the customs form showing what you paid as well.
he handling fee is down the post office or courier so you have to claim that back separately. You can do that once you've received the refund from HM Customs and Excise as the letter you receive can be used as proof.
Originally Posted by Captain_Howdy666 View Post
And how long do Royal Mail take to refund that £8 charge?
It varies, my last one took about three weeks.
-
bradavon
- Bruce Lee's Fist
- Posts: 24430
- Joined: 27 Oct 2004, 20:30
They were bound to though considering the total after postage was less than £18.
If I'd known what I know now me too. I won't be buying any Amazon.com BOGOF type deals again. I did get Die Hard cheap which is something when Fox BDs cost a bomb.Markgway wrote:I'd rather spend a few quid more and save all that refund hastle.
-
saltysam
- Bruce Lee's Fist
- Posts: 9357
- Joined: 27 Oct 2004, 19:27
more hd-dvds half price inc. Zodiac & Transformers
http://www.amazon.com/gp/feature.html?i ... 1&plpage=1
http://www.amazon.com/gp/feature.html?i ... 1&plpage=1
working class blu-ray fan
-
bradavon
- Bruce Lee's Fist
- Posts: 24430
- Joined: 27 Oct 2004, 20:30
I've had a very interesting update to my Customs letter:
If you remember I was charged by UK Customs for buying a two BDs through an Amazon.com BOGOF deal. I wrote to Customs giving all the details they asked for (then some) and was told the charges were correct and I wouldn't be getting a refund. Then out of the blue Amazon.com issue me a refund.
You can read details of Amazon refunding me here:
https://www.bulletsnbabesdvd.com/forums/ ... 532#102532
And details of the letter I sent to Customs and their follow up letter here:
https://www.bulletsnbabesdvd.com/forums/ ... 106#103106
Now imagine my surprise when a letter popped through my door saying after a review Customs will be issuing me a Customs refund. Which I find strange as their original letter specifically said you need to ask for a review and I didn't see the point so didn't ask for one.
Here is a copy of the letter I received:
http://www.alexmccaffrey.com/misc/HM%20 ... Review.pdf
I knew I knew I was bloody right all along
If you remember I was charged by UK Customs for buying a two BDs through an Amazon.com BOGOF deal. I wrote to Customs giving all the details they asked for (then some) and was told the charges were correct and I wouldn't be getting a refund. Then out of the blue Amazon.com issue me a refund.
You can read details of Amazon refunding me here:
https://www.bulletsnbabesdvd.com/forums/ ... 532#102532
And details of the letter I sent to Customs and their follow up letter here:
https://www.bulletsnbabesdvd.com/forums/ ... 106#103106
Now imagine my surprise when a letter popped through my door saying after a review Customs will be issuing me a Customs refund. Which I find strange as their original letter specifically said you need to ask for a review and I didn't see the point so didn't ask for one.
Here is a copy of the letter I received:
http://www.alexmccaffrey.com/misc/HM%20 ... Review.pdf
I knew I knew I was bloody right all along
-
saltysam
- Bruce Lee's Fist
- Posts: 9357
- Joined: 27 Oct 2004, 19:27
amazon sent me an email inviting me to review the dvd-r they sent me,so i took them up on the offersaltysam wrote:they've replied overnight,told me they are sending me a replacement, refunding mt card then charging it again :x i've fired off an another email to them.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000VG ... dp_product
-
bradavon
- Bruce Lee's Fist
- Posts: 24430
- Joined: 27 Oct 2004, 20:30
Edward Scissorhands RA BD - $20.41/£10.04 Delivered to the UK:
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B000VDDWDI
28 Days Later RA BD - $20.41/£10.04 Delivered to the UK:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000VDDWEC
There are likely to be other Fox titles too, see here:
https://www.bulletsnbabesdvd.com/forums/ ... 443#107443
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B000VDDWDI
28 Days Later RA BD - $20.41/£10.04 Delivered to the UK:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000VDDWEC
There are likely to be other Fox titles too, see here:
https://www.bulletsnbabesdvd.com/forums/ ... 443#107443
-
EvaUnit02
- Bruce Lee's Fist
- Posts: 9150
- Joined: 08 Feb 2005, 14:39
- Location: Wellywood, Kiwiland
- Contact:
Upscale from PAL DV cam... the ultimate HD demo disc!bradavon wrote:28 Days Later RA BD - $20.41/£10.04 Delivered to the UK:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000VDDWEC
-
dvdvision
- Pedicab Driver
- Posts: 296
- Joined: 29 Mar 2007, 11:10
