Pet Hates

Literally. Unless it Should Go Elsewhere
User avatar
grim_tales
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 22164
Joined: 25 Oct 2004, 17:34
Location: St. Albans, UK

Re: Pet Hates

Post by grim_tales »

I spotted that one :D Surely you mean "walk" Brad :P
User avatar
Xenon
Pedicab Driver
Posts: 246
Joined: 26 Mar 2010, 16:28

Re: Pet Hates

Post by Xenon »

bradavon wrote:
Xenon wrote:Nintendo begs to differ.

Image
20th Century Fox seem to reckon quadrilogy is a word, it doesn't make it correct. Lite is used so often, it's kind of become an acceptable word but it doesn't man it's actually accurate.
lite - adj. (informal) 1 (especially NAmE) (of food or drink) containing fewer calories than other types of food, and therefore less likely to make you fat (a way of spelling "light"): lite ice cream.

You gonna argue that Oxford dictionary editors pulled that one out of their asses too? :roll:
gasteropod
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 6868
Joined: 03 Nov 2004, 18:16

Re: Pet Hates

Post by gasteropod »

There's a local nightclub that spells it 'niteklub', which I find rather obnoxious :D
User avatar
Shingster
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 4140
Joined: 08 Sep 2006, 10:14

Re: Pet Hates

Post by Shingster »

bradavon wrote:No, really there isn't. By that token rite and nite are correct spellings too, yes?
My pet hate? Ignorant people who will challenge an opinion without bothering to at least spend a few minutes with a search engine to check that their argument is factually sound. The spellings: nite and lite have been informal american spellings for probably over a century now and their usage has been widespread enough over the years for them to have been incorporated into English Dictonaries decades ago as variants. Type in nite or lite into any online dictionary or Wikipedia, or better yet grab a dictionary book and you will see the results for yourself. End of discussion.
bradavon wrote:Oh give over. Now you're nitpicking. Finding fault for the sake of it. There is a big difference between being able to spell etc... and typos. Something often deliberately forgotten when it's "brad picking on time" :roll:
Actually if you had understood the tone of our posts we were playfully pointing out the hypocrisy of your comments given the undeniably poor standard of your writing on these boards. You as ever have decided to play the victim and maintain an ignorant response that for the millionth time in the history of these boards has someone pulled an argument out of thin air! You do have a talent for it brad! :lol:
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 24430
Joined: 27 Oct 2004, 19:30

Re: Pet Hates

Post by bradavon »

grim_tales wrote:I spotted that one :D Surely you mean "walk" Brad :P
Damn! :D. I regularly get that typo wrong. No idea why, memory block. I often have to re-type work as walk. I never get it wrong the other way around.
Shingster wrote:Actually if you had understood the tone of our posts we were playfully pointing out the hypocrisy of your comments given the undeniably poor standard of your writing on these boards.
I disagree. That is all I need to add on what I already have. Choosing to ignore my asking you think my English is worse than Romero's I see :roll:
Yi-Long
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 8616
Joined: 26 Oct 2004, 12:46
Location: Alkmaar, Holland

Re: Pet Hates

Post by Yi-Long »

Brad's writing (spelling) never bothered me, but I'm not that anal about other people's spelling anyway...



... it's his lack of comprehensive reading that's often the cause of trouble around here ;)
Image
I was there, the big BNB blackout of november, 2008. We lost many that day...
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 24430
Joined: 27 Oct 2004, 19:30

Re: Pet Hates

Post by bradavon »

Oh bog off :D.
User avatar
Shingster
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 4140
Joined: 08 Sep 2006, 10:14

Re: Pet Hates

Post by Shingster »

bradavon wrote:Damn! :D. I regularly get that typo wrong. No idea why, memory block. I often have to re-type work as walk. I never get it wrong the other way around.
While we're being anal I should point out that repeatedly mistyping "work" for walk or typing "adoptions" instead of adaptations and "one" instead of won are not typos, it's sloppy spelling/writing. A typo is a mistake made due to a fault in the instrument you're typing on (ie: a typewriter with a faulty key or a wireless keyboard with input lag) or a slip of the hand (ie: hitting i instead of o, or typing teh instead of the).
Choosing to ignore my asking you think my English is worse than Romero's I see :roll:
Oh noes! this is obviously the most important issue at hand! As Romero already pointed out, many of his posts are just stream or consciousness ramblings that he can't be arsed to proof-read. When he's not ranting his posts are usually flawless.
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 24430
Joined: 27 Oct 2004, 19:30

Re: Pet Hates

Post by bradavon »

Shingster wrote:A typo is a mistake made due to a fault in the instrument you're typing on (ie: a typewriter with a faulty key or a wireless keyboard with input lag).
WTF are you smoking? :D. A typo is when you type something incorrectly (usually due to the speed you're typing) but know how to spell it correctly. I didn't intentionally type adoption, so it's a typo. It has nothing to do with faulty equipment.

I just find it incredibly hypocritical my posts regularly get picked up on, when plenty of others of this board make just as many typos. This is an Internet forum not a serious work document or letter!
Shingster wrote:As Romero already pointed out, many of his posts are just stream or consciousness ramblings that he can't be arsed to proof-read.
aka you find it fun to nitpick my posts but not his, got it. You reckon I can be bothered to proof read?

This whole thread is anal, look at the title of it :cool: .
User avatar
Shingster
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 4140
Joined: 08 Sep 2006, 10:14

Re: Pet Hates

Post by Shingster »

bradavon wrote:]aka you find it fun to nitpick my posts but not his, got it. You reckon I can be bothered to proof read?
I don't find it fun to nit-pick anyone's posts, this whole debate started not from me wanting to have fun, but to only point out the sheer hypocrisy of your posts moaning about people using nite/lite and bad spelling/grammar in general, when your own spelling/grammar on these boards is frequently atrocious.

I think that was a very fair observation and not a loaded comment, if you look at the tone of my original post and the smiley I used you should see that I was merely expressing how bizarre it is you're so affected by grammar, but et your own posts here remain the way they are. Surely if you appreciate good spelling and whatnot you would at least read your posts once before hitting the submit button?

Oh and claiming adoption for adaptation is a typo is an immense stretch by any standards of the term.......
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 24430
Joined: 27 Oct 2004, 19:30

Re: Pet Hates

Post by bradavon »

You do know what atrocious means? Talk about a gross exaggeration.
User avatar
Shingster
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 4140
Joined: 08 Sep 2006, 10:14

Re: Pet Hates

Post by Shingster »

Unlike you I know how to use a dictionary! ;)

Yes it's an exaggeration when you take into account the sheer volume of posts you make, I'll admit that.! My point still stands though, you're the last person who should be moaning about grammar in general.
User avatar
Markgway
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 20194
Joined: 18 Feb 2005, 02:04

Re: Pet Hates

Post by Markgway »

Guyz u needz too stawp, al thiss trach tok abut baad grandma; and spilling?

Wee al mayk mistooks! frum tyme too tyme&=
Image
gasteropod
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 6868
Joined: 03 Nov 2004, 18:16

Re: Pet Hates

Post by gasteropod »

Shingster wrote:Oh and claiming adoption for adaptation is a typo is an immense stretch by any standards of the term.......
To be fair, the 'op' and 'apta' keys are right next to each other :lol:
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 24430
Joined: 27 Oct 2004, 19:30

Re: Pet Hates

Post by bradavon »

Ha ha :D. Oh touché.
User avatar
Shingster
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 4140
Joined: 08 Sep 2006, 10:14

Re: Pet Hates

Post by Shingster »

Markgway wrote:Guyz u needz too stawp, al thiss trach tok abut baad grandma; and spilling?

Wee al mayk mistooks! frum tyme too tyme&=
Is that Dutch? :D
Yi-Long
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 8616
Joined: 26 Oct 2004, 12:46
Location: Alkmaar, Holland

Re: Pet Hates

Post by Yi-Long »

Shingster wrote:
Markgway wrote:Guyz u needz too stawp, al thiss trach tok abut baad grandma; and spilling?

Wee al mayk mistooks! frum tyme too tyme&=
Is that Dutch? :D
It certainly was the first time Mark made sense to me, so who knows...!? :D
Image
I was there, the big BNB blackout of november, 2008. We lost many that day...
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 24430
Joined: 27 Oct 2004, 19:30

Re: Pet Hates

Post by bradavon »

People who call Wallpapers/Desktop Backgrounds, screen savers. Which seems to be pretty much everyone. Google what a screen saver is and you'll see a static image will do fuck all to "screen save".

People who dawdle in cars/walking. Get out of my way!
gasteropod
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 6868
Joined: 03 Nov 2004, 18:16

Re: Pet Hates

Post by gasteropod »

When people pronounce 'mischievous' as 'mischiev-EE-ous', where the fuck did they get that from, and why do so many fucking people say it?!
User avatar
IronMonkey
Royal Tramp
Posts: 1950
Joined: 08 Dec 2004, 16:49

Re: Pet Hates

Post by IronMonkey »

What about nukular? LOL nukular. People, eh?
TH-42PX80 | DMP-BD50 (MR BD & DVD) | SA-XR55 | SB-TP20 | XBox 360 Slim 250GB | XBox (XBMC, 160GB) | Zotac XBMC HTPC | Gaming PC | 8TB Media Server
gasteropod
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 6868
Joined: 03 Nov 2004, 18:16

Re: Pet Hates

Post by gasteropod »

:lol: Homer Simpson style.
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 24430
Joined: 27 Oct 2004, 19:30

Re: Pet Hates

Post by bradavon »

gasteropod wrote:When people pronounce 'mischievous' as 'mischiev-EE-ous', where the fuck did they get that from, and why do so many fucking people say it?!
I do :D. I agree it's wrong but plenty of words we take for granted, we mispronounce. Literally no pronounces "they're" correctly.
IronMonkey wrote:What about nukular? LOL nukular. People, eh?
I don't say that one.
gasteropod
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 6868
Joined: 03 Nov 2004, 18:16

Re: Pet Hates

Post by gasteropod »

bradavon wrote:Literally no pronounces "they're" correctly.
That's because the 'proper' pronunciation is too awkward and we'd sound like aliens. Dictionary.com seems to validate the 'incorrect' pronunciation as an alternative anyway:
[th air; unstressed th er]
So never mind that and stop pronouncing 'mischievous' like a retard :D
User avatar
brooce-leroy
Royal Tramp
Posts: 1279
Joined: 28 Dec 2004, 14:52

Re: Pet Hates

Post by brooce-leroy »

When people mistake lose for loose, e.g. "he's such a looser." When people type "would of" when it should be "would have."

Jehova's witnesses trying to force religion down my throat, and posting magazines through my door when i don't want them. One of them asked the missus if she wanted her phone number so she could give her a ring! (waits for the jokes)
"We do not train to be merciful. Mercy is for the weak. A man confronts you, he is the enemy. The enemy deserves no mercy."
romerojpg
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 8520
Joined: 26 Oct 2004, 13:12
Location: CLOSE TO YOUR MAMMA

Re: Pet Hates

Post by romerojpg »

Loooooooser sounds so much better than loser.