What Have You Just Seen... Marks Out of 5

Film Reviews and Release Comparisons
Locked
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 24430
Joined: 27 Oct 2004, 20:30

Post by bradavon »

Nice reviews thanks Romero. Good to hear someone liked Lady in the Water.
saltysam
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 9357
Joined: 27 Oct 2004, 19:27

Post by saltysam »

Silver Hawk 1/5

Michelle yeoh what were you thinkiing? dire in the extreme.

Nacho Libre 2.5/5

Pleasant enough but forgettable Jack Black comedy.
romerojpg
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 8520
Joined: 26 Oct 2004, 14:12
Location: CLOSE TO YOUR MAMMA

Post by romerojpg »

saltysam wrote: Silver Hawk 1/5

Michelle yeoh what were you thinkiing? dire in the extreme.
:lol: great honest mark for it :D I think I wanted to give it 0.5 out of 5
User avatar
grim_tales
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 22163
Joined: 25 Oct 2004, 18:34
Location: St. Albans, UK

Post by grim_tales »

Garfield & Friends - 4/5

Uneven (the segments with Garfield himself are the best IMO) but often funny, even hilarious, upon revisiting it, largely due to the voice acting of Lorenzo Music (Peter Venkman in "The Real Ghostbusters") as Garfield, who has a sarcastic, sardonic wit. :D
User avatar
thelostdragon
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 7059
Joined: 29 Oct 2004, 23:36
Location: Basin City
Contact:

Post by thelostdragon »

Zatoichi: The Festival of Fire - 4/5
Very good. Almost no blood, unlike the Kitano interpretation, but then again it is the only Zatoichi film I have yet seen of the old ones.
Image
User avatar
grim_tales
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 22163
Joined: 25 Oct 2004, 18:34
Location: St. Albans, UK

Post by grim_tales »

Did the Garfield toon play in Germany LD? :)
User avatar
Markgway
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 20194
Joined: 18 Feb 2005, 02:04

Post by Markgway »

Odd trivia:

Lorenzo Music did the voice for the cartoon version of Peter Venkman in The Real Ghostbusters - a character played on film by Bill Murray.

Bill Murray did the voiceover on film for Garfield as Lorenzo Music had done for the TV cartoon.
Image
User avatar
grim_tales
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 22163
Joined: 25 Oct 2004, 18:34
Location: St. Albans, UK

Post by grim_tales »

Yeah! And its funny, because the cartoon Garfield (Lorenzo Music) does sound rather like Bill Murray (IMO) :D
User avatar
Shingster
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 4140
Joined: 08 Sep 2006, 11:14

Post by Shingster »

lol that's the point Grim, Lorenzo was hired for Ghostbusters because he sounds like Bill Murray, and Bill Murray was hired for Garfield because he's the one bankable film star who sounds like the established voice of Garfield (Lorenzo).
User avatar
grim_tales
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 22163
Joined: 25 Oct 2004, 18:34
Location: St. Albans, UK

Post by grim_tales »

Lorenzo was also the voice of Tummi Gummi in "The Gummi Bears".
saltysam
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 9357
Joined: 27 Oct 2004, 19:27

Post by saltysam »

Texas Chainsaw Massacre:The Beginning 2.5/5

How many times can they remake the same movie.? watchable but instantly forgettable gorefest.

16 Blocks 3/5

Entertaining police thriller starring Bruce Willis. Mos Dev is irritating as his co-star though.
User avatar
Knetan
Hail the Judge!
Posts: 2009
Joined: 12 Mar 2006, 12:57
Location: Sweden
Contact:

Post by Knetan »

hey,

Dog Bite Dog 3.5/5

Soi Cheang's film is a vicious statement, one that will be sneered at automatically like any opinion divided subject but no doubt this can be called compelling, thematically sound and a pure injection of distinction Hong Kong cinema is in need of. Well it should be called that.

Minus points for an ending where Cheang showcases he's into a bit too much for him to handle.
User avatar
Markgway
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 20194
Joined: 18 Feb 2005, 02:04

Post by Markgway »

saltysam wrote:Mos Dev is irritating as his co-star though.
I agree. He sounded retarded.
Image
User avatar
BiscLimpkit
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 4727
Joined: 25 Oct 2004, 22:33
Location: Scotland

Post by BiscLimpkit »

Cats (theatre) 4.5/5
Ace min.
Image
User avatar
thelostdragon
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 7059
Joined: 29 Oct 2004, 23:36
Location: Basin City
Contact:

Post by thelostdragon »

grim_tales wrote:Did the Garfield toon play in Germany LD? :)
Huh?
Image
User avatar
Markgway
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 20194
Joined: 18 Feb 2005, 02:04

Post by Markgway »

cartoon
Image
User avatar
thelostdragon
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 7059
Joined: 29 Oct 2004, 23:36
Location: Basin City
Contact:

Post by thelostdragon »

Mark, do you happen to look like this? :D

Image

I don't get what Garfield has to do with "Zatoichi".
Image
Yi-Long
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 8616
Joined: 26 Oct 2004, 13:46
Location: Alkmaar, Holland

Post by Yi-Long »

Just watched A Bittersweet Life.

I really liked it, and I'd probably core it 4 outta 5, but there's one thing bugging me: Who's the guy who shows up at the end?
Image
I was there, the big BNB blackout of november, 2008. We lost many that day...
User avatar
thelostdragon
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 7059
Joined: 29 Oct 2004, 23:36
Location: Basin City
Contact:

Post by thelostdragon »

Yi-Long wrote:Just watched A Bittersweet Life.

I really liked it, and I'd probably core it 4 outta 5, but there's one thing bugging me: Who's the guy who shows up at the end?
He is the guy who the arms dealers were actually waiting for. Don't take my word on that, but I think he was the weapons dealer's brother or so who seeks revenge. Remember how he came to the sight of all the dead thugs in the apartment?
Image
Yi-Long
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 8616
Joined: 26 Oct 2004, 13:46
Location: Alkmaar, Holland

Post by Yi-Long »

thelostdragon wrote:
Yi-Long wrote:Just watched A Bittersweet Life.

I really liked it, and I'd probably core it 4 outta 5, but there's one thing bugging me: Who's the guy who shows up at the end?
He is the guy who the arms dealers were actually waiting for. Don't take my word on that, but I think he was the weapons dealer's brother or so who seeks revenge. Remember how he came to the sight of all the dead thugs in the apartment?
Thanks man. :)

(I actually went hunting down on IMDB and Wiki etc, and had already figured it out now by myself, so was gonna post an :'edit; nvm' but yeah, that was the guy who showed up at the arms-dealers place finding the bodies etc. I really should have figured it out by myself... so I'm hitting myself over the head for not having kept that in mind through to the end...)

Anyway, great movie. My girlfriend felt it was a little too slow though. She needs action. But I enjoyed the pace of the movie, taking it's time, and showing him going through the troubles of getting a gun etc...
Image
I was there, the big BNB blackout of november, 2008. We lost many that day...
User avatar
thelostdragon
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 7059
Joined: 29 Oct 2004, 23:36
Location: Basin City
Contact:

Post by thelostdragon »

I just love the film. Just when I thought "They don't make any film-noir type of films" comes this jewel from South Korea.
Image
User avatar
Markgway
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 20194
Joined: 18 Feb 2005, 02:04

Post by Markgway »

thelostdragon wrote:I don't get what Garfield has to do with "Zatoichi".
There was no way I could know that from a simple "huh"

And stop posting my picture, thanks.
Last edited by Markgway on 27 Jan 2007, 03:40, edited 1 time in total.
Image
User avatar
Markgway
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 20194
Joined: 18 Feb 2005, 02:04

Post by Markgway »

Yi-Long wrote:My girlfriend felt it was a little too slow though. She needs action...
I'll bet she does.... 8)
Image
User avatar
grim_tales
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 22163
Joined: 25 Oct 2004, 18:34
Location: St. Albans, UK

Post by grim_tales »

thelostdragon wrote:Mark, do you happen to look like this? :D

Image

I don't get what Garfield has to do with "Zatoichi".
Nothing LD, I just thought you might have read my review of Garfield and was asking if you'd seen the cartoon :)
tom2681
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 5577
Joined: 25 Oct 2004, 16:18
Location: Where you'll never find me

Post by tom2681 »

The Sword of Many Lovers (1993 - Poon Man-Kit - With Leon Lai and Cheung Man): 4 / 5

Since it came with Handsome Siblings in the HK Vidéo boxset, I was expecting some more wire-fu nonsense.

But that's not what this is.
Sword of Many Lovers is a well-directed over-the-top melodrama with a few fights here and there.

Sure the plot is a bit messy and full of holes, sure the wires are visible, sure there are many editing and continuity mistakes, but thankfully the good outweighs the bad.

Poon Man-Kit really knows how to hold his camera, and Cheung Man and Michelle Reis are both very impressive.
They make Leon Lai look even more useless than usual.

They should have asked Andy Lau, Jackie Cheung or maybe even Sam Hui to star in this. Not Leon "I'm-as-expressive-as-a-dead-fish" Lai.

Still... good film.

Image
I used to be "the man who loves the movies you hate".
Now I'm just "that weird french guy with a cat avatar who comes to BnB once a year for no reason and then disappears again".
Locked