The HD News & Technology Thread!

Discuss High-Definition Technology & Releases
Post Reply
gasteropod
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 6868
Joined: 03 Nov 2004, 18:16

Post by gasteropod »

Surely they could just put a chip in for Region A and a chip in for Region B?
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 24430
Joined: 27 Oct 2004, 20:30

Post by bradavon »

You say that like it's simple. I imagine that is what they've done. They also sell kits but say it requires a fair amount of soldering.

If someone sold the LG BH200 or Samsung Combo like this I'd be all over it. I'd pay extra too.
saltysam
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 9357
Joined: 27 Oct 2004, 19:27

Post by saltysam »

bradavon wrote:Three :D
nope just two. ps3 & toshiba. dvd recorder has now gone to the bedroom since the E-1 started playing Region 3 discs.
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 24430
Joined: 27 Oct 2004, 20:30

Post by bradavon »

What about RCE(esque) discs?
saltysam
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 9357
Joined: 27 Oct 2004, 19:27

Post by saltysam »

bradavon wrote:What about RCE(esque) discs?
What region discs do you think my usa ps3 plays :wink:
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 24430
Joined: 27 Oct 2004, 20:30

Post by bradavon »

Good point. I guess they're all R1 anyway.
saltysam
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 9357
Joined: 27 Oct 2004, 19:27

Post by saltysam »

My tv has developed a vertical green line going down the left hand side of the screen :x engineer has been out,the screen is knackered so they are taking it away monday where they'll either replace the screen or offer vouchers to get a similar spec tv..i'm hoping for vouchers i'd then pay the difference and get a nice newer model.
romerojpg
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 8520
Joined: 26 Oct 2004, 14:12
Location: CLOSE TO YOUR MAMMA

Post by romerojpg »

Jesus your aint even that old, guess at least you should in theory be able to get a better TV for less than you paid for that one, still a bugger I bet.
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 24430
Joined: 27 Oct 2004, 20:30

Post by bradavon »

That's a pity. How old is it? Was that a manufacturer or retailer engineer?

If I got vouchers I'd take the opportunity to get a Full HD TV. It will effectively work out to be a good price.
User avatar
IronMonkey
Royal Tramp
Posts: 1950
Joined: 08 Dec 2004, 16:49

Post by IronMonkey »

Full HD TVs are pointless.
TH-42PX80 | DMP-BD50 (MR BD & DVD) | SA-XR55 | SB-TP20 | XBox 360 Slim 250GB | XBox (XBMC, 160GB) | Zotac XBMC HTPC | Gaming PC | 8TB Media Server
romerojpg
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 8520
Joined: 26 Oct 2004, 14:12
Location: CLOSE TO YOUR MAMMA

Post by romerojpg »

IronMonkey wrote:Full HD TVs are pointless.
If your screens not BIG.
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 24430
Joined: 27 Oct 2004, 20:30

Post by bradavon »

IronMonkey wrote:Full HD TVs are pointless.
Completely? Why do you say that? Do you actually mean pointless or not worth the extra cost?

The FULL HD resolution is a lot higher than HD Ready. It must account for "something".
romerojpg
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 8520
Joined: 26 Oct 2004, 14:12
Location: CLOSE TO YOUR MAMMA

Post by romerojpg »

Depends if you can see the difference between 720 and 1080, if you can then its worth it, if not its not. Easy really.
dvdvision
Pedicab Driver
Posts: 296
Joined: 29 Mar 2007, 11:10

Post by dvdvision »

HD keeps going into depht of stupidity to levels unheard of.

I just got Bourne Ultimatum HD-DVD. The disc of course is region free. Now where's the catch ?

It's a combo disc, with the regular SD version on the other side... encoded to Region 1 (and therefore, cannot be played on my HD player). I don't care about this side, but sometimes, bonuses are only to found on the other side of the disc.

It would be like if Warner had encoded the bonus SD discs on the HD and BR Blade Runner Region 1, thus banning people from playing them other countries, while the HD portions could still be played...

Are these people stupid, or what ? :drunken:
romerojpg
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 8520
Joined: 26 Oct 2004, 14:12
Location: CLOSE TO YOUR MAMMA

Post by romerojpg »

Still better than the UK HD DVD :D dodgy subtitles overlayed where burned in ones used to be. Urggghhh. and no True HD.
gasteropod
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 6868
Joined: 03 Nov 2004, 18:16

Post by gasteropod »

IronMonkey wrote:Full HD TVs are pointless.
I beg to differ, since I'm watching my brand new 47 inch one right now and it is incredible.
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 24430
Joined: 27 Oct 2004, 20:30

Post by bradavon »

dvdvision wrote:It would be like if Warner had encoded the bonus SD discs on the HD and BR Blade Runner Region 1, thus banning people from playing them other countries, while the HD portions could still be played...
This is what they've done with Blade Runner???
dvdvision wrote:It's a combo disc, with the regular SD version on the other side... encoded to Region 1 (and therefore, cannot be played on my HD player). I don't care about this side, but sometimes, bonuses are only to found on the other side of the disc.
Are there any in this case?

It doesn't bother me as right now no matter how you look at it you still need a MR DVD Player too.
gasteropod wrote:I beg to differ, since I'm watching my brand new 47 inch one right now and it is incredible.
Did you use to own a HD Ready TV, or did you go straight to Full HD?

I believe that's "their" point.
saltysam
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 9357
Joined: 27 Oct 2004, 19:27

Post by saltysam »

bradavon wrote:That's a pity. How old is it? Was that a manufacturer or retailer engineer?

If I got vouchers I'd take the opportunity to get a Full HD TV. It will effectively work out to be a good price.
18 months old.i hope they fail it and give me vouchers.i'll pay the difference and go for a much better spec model,don't think i'd get another samsung after this though.
tom2681
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 5577
Joined: 25 Oct 2004, 16:18
Location: Where you'll never find me

Post by tom2681 »

Boy am I glad I chose to wait instead of jumping into HD. :D

Warner has officially gone Blu.
This might give Blu-Ray the edge, but since Paramount are going to be HD-DVD exclusive until the end of the year, it means that the format war can't end before 2009.
I used to be "the man who loves the movies you hate".
Now I'm just "that weird french guy with a cat avatar who comes to BnB once a year for no reason and then disappears again".
saltysam
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 9357
Joined: 27 Oct 2004, 19:27

Post by saltysam »

tom2681 wrote:
Warner has officially gone Blu.
This might give Blu-Ray the edge, but since Paramount are going to be HD-DVD exclusive until the end of the year, it means that the format war can't end before 2009.
Paramount are hardly releasing much on HD-DVD anyway,see the other thread. if they and Universal stick it out hd-dvd will be around awhile yet.it certainly seems more popular in europe where all the hd-dvd titles usually on blu-ray seem to pop up.
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 24430
Joined: 27 Oct 2004, 20:30

Post by bradavon »

saltysam wrote:18 months old.i hope they fail it and give me vouchers.i'll pay the difference and go for a much better spec model,don't think i'd get another samsung after this though.
18 months, that sucks.

It's a good job you took out extended warranty. I don't usually bother. I did for my laptop (it was a good deal direct from Toshiba too) as they're hard to fix yourself but otherwise prefer to risk it. The number of items that have gone wrong for me between 13 months to 4 years is low. I find things either brake soon or last donkeys years.
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 24430
Joined: 27 Oct 2004, 20:30

Post by bradavon »

Interesting article from one of the top dogs at Universal:

http://www.betanews.com/article/Intervi ... 1200951636
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 24430
Joined: 27 Oct 2004, 20:30

Post by bradavon »

Panasonic unveil their Profile 2.0 BD Player:

http://www.engadget.com/2008/01/06/spec ... -dmp-bd50/
Press release: http://www2.panasonic.com/webapp/wcs/st ... mId=215165

I wish Samsung could manage this :( . How hard is it to add Profile 2.0, honestly.
gasteropod
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 6868
Joined: 03 Nov 2004, 18:16

Post by gasteropod »

http://www.trustedreviews.com/home-cine ... han-DVD/p1

Not bad going since the format war has obviously put people off buying into it as of yet.
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 24430
Joined: 27 Oct 2004, 20:30

Post by bradavon »

The world was less aware back then, the Internet for one wasn't what it is today. I still find it surprising though.

That picture rocks :D
According to analysts Displaysearch, sales of DVD discs took around two years to reach the point where the high definition market is now at.
That doesn't mean much, both HD-DVD and BD are about 2 years old now. Maybe slightly less.
Post Reply