Mozilla Firefox 4.0: RELEASED!

Consoles, Computers, iPads, and More
HD Discussion Elsewhere
EvaUnit02
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 9150
Joined: 08 Feb 2005, 14:39
Location: Wellywood, Kiwiland
Contact:

Re: Mozilla Firefox 4.0: RELEASED!

Post by EvaUnit02 »

bradavon wrote:You can turn legacy menus back on in Firefox 4 but why you'd want to, I've no idea.
I've already explained why and I'm not going to repeat myself.

I tried using Firefox 4.0's unified menu for about 30 mins and it's simply awful. There's bugger all options, because we can't be confusing all the computer illiterate baby boomers, can we?! Advanced options are buried in the browser Options window, when previously they were just a few clicks from the surface.
bradavon wrote:
EvaUnit02 wrote:I'd be fine with it being off by default to avoid confusing the MacOS-tard users, just give us the OPTION.
Menus are so 1990s! Besides there's nothing power usage about them. It often takes more clicks with menus.
I completely disagree with you and you're entitled to your opinion. I'll repeat my point again, there's no reason why Chrome, etc couldn't cater to all audiences, just give us a CHOICE.

Whatever, Google can sit on it and spin. I'll just keep using Firefox and Opera because they aren't made by douchebags trying to bully their userbase.
How? I used to create a keyword so I could type "g ..." but that's an extra thing to type so it realises you mean Google. You've got Firefox set to automatically search Google if whatever you're typing in doesn't end .com, .co.uk etc...?
You had to configure it manually in Firefox 1.0/2.x. But with at least FF3.6/4.0, it's enabled by default. Just type a keyword, statement, etc into the address bar, hit enter and Firefox 4.0 will do a Google search. I confirmed this by creating a brand new, unaltered FF profile.
Have you used IE9? It's a "hell of a lot better" but at the end of the day, it's still IE. Still no fucking extensions and barely no customisation. It is at least "usable" now and is much faster in all respects. It'll continue to be my backup browser.
Yes, I have used IE9 and I completely agree with you.
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 24430
Joined: 27 Oct 2004, 20:30

Re: Mozilla Firefox 4.0: RELEASED!

Post by bradavon »

The trouble with turning menus back on in Firefox 4 is it takes up not one but two lines of space, there's suddenly a massive amount of wasted space and tabs on top no longer works. I did turn back on the bookmarks bar and add-ons bar though. The vast majority of the options are in the Firefox menu.

Mozilla may keep the menus option for awhile but I bet they remove it eventually. Like Microsoft eventually did with the classic 9x start menu, you finally cannot revert back to it in Windows 7. I'm actually surprised Microsoft still let you display menus in IE9. There are now 3 ways to show the exact same menu options: Legacy, IE8 style (3 submenus) and the new single IE9 menu. That's crazy. The IE8 one especially is pointless.

I tend to turn menus back on in most apps: MSN (compulsory in compact view, there's literally no way to see anything otherwise), Windows Explorer but keep them off in IE (the single menu works fine) and Windows Media Player (all the options can be found elsewhere). I expect more apps will eventually get the ribbon, except things like IE.

You eventually came around to the idea of the ribbon eventually. You used to hate that too.
You had to configure it manually in Firefox 1.0/2.x. But with at least FF3.6/4.0, it's enabled by default. Just type a keyword, statement, etc into the address bar, hit enter and Firefox 4.0 will do a Google search. I confirmed this by creating a brand new, unaltered FF profile
It never worked for me in Firefox 1.x-3.x. I'd type a word in and it would just sit there just to load a website that didn't exist. It sometimes worked when I typed in a sentence. There's still a delay whilst Firefox 4 works out if it's a site or search.

Regardless it's better in Chrome because Chrome instantly brings up search suggestions as you're typing. I don't mean "Google Instant Search" which is awful. I hate it.
romerojpg
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 8520
Joined: 26 Oct 2004, 14:12
Location: CLOSE TO YOUR MAMMA

Re: Mozilla Firefox 4.0: RELEASED!

Post by romerojpg »

Do you two have super fast broadband?
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 24430
Joined: 27 Oct 2004, 20:30

Re: Mozilla Firefox 4.0: RELEASED!

Post by bradavon »

Down: 17831Kbps (of the 20Mbps offered)
Up: 1020Kbps
Provider: TalkTalk (formerly Tiscali)
Connection type: ADSL

I cannot get Virgin's 50Mb because despite living in a cable area Virgin only ever plug in ground floor flats or houses, people on floors above never get a look in. Not that I care. I'm perfectly happy with the cheaper speed I get. I was happy with 8Mb before TalkTalk gave all customers a free upgrade.

Why?
romerojpg
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 8520
Joined: 26 Oct 2004, 14:12
Location: CLOSE TO YOUR MAMMA

Re: Mozilla Firefox 4.0: RELEASED!

Post by romerojpg »

Just wondering how much difference a new browser would make to loading times if you were on a crappy speed :D
saltysam
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 9357
Joined: 27 Oct 2004, 19:27

Re: Mozilla Firefox 4.0: RELEASED!

Post by saltysam »

i'm on Virgin 50mb.
working class blu-ray fan
romerojpg
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 8520
Joined: 26 Oct 2004, 14:12
Location: CLOSE TO YOUR MAMMA

Re: Mozilla Firefox 4.0: RELEASED!

Post by romerojpg »

Spoilt aint you :D I dont get anything even close to that. 800kbps is top for me.
User avatar
luckystars
Royal Tramp
Posts: 1893
Joined: 12 Sep 2005, 09:01

Re: Mozilla Firefox 4.0: RELEASED!

Post by luckystars »

bradavon wrote:Down: 17831Kbps (of the 20Mbps offered)
Up: 1020Kbps
Provider: TalkTalk (formerly Tiscali)
Connection type: ADSL

Damn man. You must be on pr0n overdrive with that bitrate! :D
2010 - The return of the HK movie industry :)
Image
romerojpg
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 8520
Joined: 26 Oct 2004, 14:12
Location: CLOSE TO YOUR MAMMA

Re: Mozilla Firefox 4.0: RELEASED!

Post by romerojpg »

He could download a Blu Ray in a few hours :D
User avatar
luckystars
Royal Tramp
Posts: 1893
Joined: 12 Sep 2005, 09:01

Re: Mozilla Firefox 4.0: RELEASED!

Post by luckystars »

romerojpg wrote:He could download a Blu Ray in a few hours :D

Shit! HD Pr0n. :salute:
2010 - The return of the HK movie industry :)
Image
romerojpg
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 8520
Joined: 26 Oct 2004, 14:12
Location: CLOSE TO YOUR MAMMA

Re: Mozilla Firefox 4.0: RELEASED!

Post by romerojpg »

3D HD PrOn :o
User avatar
luckystars
Royal Tramp
Posts: 1893
Joined: 12 Sep 2005, 09:01

Re: Mozilla Firefox 4.0: RELEASED!

Post by luckystars »

romerojpg wrote:3D HD PrOn :o

In 7.1. surround :rock:
2010 - The return of the HK movie industry :)
Image
romerojpg
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 8520
Joined: 26 Oct 2004, 14:12
Location: CLOSE TO YOUR MAMMA

Re: Mozilla Firefox 4.0: RELEASED!

Post by romerojpg »

Ohh and Ahh from every direction!
User avatar
luckystars
Royal Tramp
Posts: 1893
Joined: 12 Sep 2005, 09:01

Re: Mozilla Firefox 4.0: RELEASED!

Post by luckystars »

romerojpg wrote:Ohh and Ahh from every direction!

Damn I think I'd get nervous knocking one out. You wouldn't hear the door open :D
2010 - The return of the HK movie industry :)
Image
romerojpg
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 8520
Joined: 26 Oct 2004, 14:12
Location: CLOSE TO YOUR MAMMA

Re: Mozilla Firefox 4.0: RELEASED!

Post by romerojpg »

Lean against the door haha
User avatar
luckystars
Royal Tramp
Posts: 1893
Joined: 12 Sep 2005, 09:01

Re: Mozilla Firefox 4.0: RELEASED!

Post by luckystars »

romerojpg wrote:Lean against the door haha
:D :D :D
2010 - The return of the HK movie industry :)
Image
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 24430
Joined: 27 Oct 2004, 20:30

Re: Mozilla Firefox 4.0: RELEASED!

Post by bradavon »

romerojpg wrote:Just wondering how much difference a new browser would make to loading times if you were on a crappy speed :D
Noticeable. It has an effect. How about you? Chrome/Firefox 4/Opera are all noticeably faster than Firefox 3.6. Chrome the most.
luckystars wrote:Damn man. You must be on pr0n overdrive with that bitrate! :D
Which part? The Kbps figures are copy/pasted directly from my router's IP address login page.
User avatar
luckystars
Royal Tramp
Posts: 1893
Joined: 12 Sep 2005, 09:01

Re: Mozilla Firefox 4.0: RELEASED!

Post by luckystars »

Well download speed...unless you're making your own pr0n! :D
2010 - The return of the HK movie industry :)
Image
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 24430
Joined: 27 Oct 2004, 20:30

Re: Mozilla Firefox 4.0: RELEASED!

Post by bradavon »

That's not what I meant. It sounded like you think the numbers are really high but they're pretty average.
romerojpg
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 8520
Joined: 26 Oct 2004, 14:12
Location: CLOSE TO YOUR MAMMA

Re: Mozilla Firefox 4.0: RELEASED!

Post by romerojpg »

Average for a Pron King
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 24430
Joined: 27 Oct 2004, 20:30

Re: Mozilla Firefox 4.0: RELEASED!

Post by bradavon »

20Mbps isn't high for The UK in 2011. What are you guys paying for?
romerojpg
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 8520
Joined: 26 Oct 2004, 14:12
Location: CLOSE TO YOUR MAMMA

Re: Mozilla Firefox 4.0: RELEASED!

Post by romerojpg »

20Mbps is massive in the UK. I pay £15 a month and get fucking bugger all, if I am lucky 600kps actual download speed.
Some of us do not live in the center of a main city, in fact most people dont so are stuffed and cannot get shit. The UK is a total joke all round for connection speeds.
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 24430
Joined: 27 Oct 2004, 20:30

Re: Mozilla Firefox 4.0: RELEASED!

Post by bradavon »

You didn't ask about actual download speed. You've still not said what your connection download speed is?

I thought 8-20Mbps was the norm. now. TalkTalk upgraded all their customers for free earlier this year. I don't notice much difference because I rarely use Peer-2-Peer (e.g - BitTorrent) services. That's the only time I'd need the speed. General browsing and even downloading the odd file, 8Mbps brought down 100Mb quick enough anyway.
romerojpg
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 8520
Joined: 26 Oct 2004, 14:12
Location: CLOSE TO YOUR MAMMA

Re: Mozilla Firefox 4.0: RELEASED!

Post by romerojpg »

I have zero idea what connection speed I am on, as it means bugger all what magic MB number they say if you get bugger all like it in reality, but as I said about 800kbps max ever for me, but on average 600kbps max usually on a perfect download.

Just because they say customers are on 8-20MB mean nothing at all in reality. Many people will still be on far, far less than the joke figure of 8MB stated. They all lie, they all tell bullshit fibs and basically stuff over customers and they still get away with this bullshit. The law is not on our side at all in the UK, the government has still to implement the laws over this shit.
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 24430
Joined: 27 Oct 2004, 20:30

Re: Mozilla Firefox 4.0: RELEASED!

Post by bradavon »

It means you can complain if it's much lower than they advertise. I'm also just interested what theoretical maximum you can get in your area. So you're on 8Mbps then?

I can never remember the exact conversion but isn't 800Kbps good from a 8Mbps connection?
Post Reply