Asian Movies in HD!

Discuss High-Definition Technology & Releases
Post Reply
EvaUnit02
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 9150
Joined: 08 Feb 2005, 14:39
Location: Wellywood, Kiwiland
Contact:

Post by EvaUnit02 »

bradavon wrote:Here's a neat page showing all the existing HK HD Discs (although "Dragon Tiger Gate" is missing):

http://www.asiandvdguide.com/bluray.html
Out of all of those, I'd only consider Flash Point and Infernal Affairs. But we already know that the IA1 BD is rubbish; and I'm not interested in FP without the Dragon Dynasty extras, personally.
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 24430
Joined: 27 Oct 2004, 20:30

Post by bradavon »

Those are the only two I'd consider also.

I understand the BD looks poor for HD but much better than the DVDs, which is acceptable to me. I'm not bothered about the DD Flash Point extras (although they do look good), the HK DVD/BD has English subtitled extras, even though they look pants.

I'll certainly be getting Infernal Affairs after I get Player, or can find it for less than £10 before then.
EvaUnit02
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 9150
Joined: 08 Feb 2005, 14:39
Location: Wellywood, Kiwiland
Contact:

Post by EvaUnit02 »

bradavon wrote:I understand the BD looks poor for HD but better than the DVDs, which is acceptable to me.
But for the premium that they charge for Blu-rays, I'd expect a better fucking effort than Deltamac's current one.
I'm not bothered about the DD Flash Point extras (although they do look good), the HK DVD/BD has English subtitled extras, even though they look pants.
Have you not heard the Bey/Donnie Yen commentary on the Iron Monkey HKL PE? It's excellent, they have such good chemistry.
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 24430
Joined: 27 Oct 2004, 20:30

Post by bradavon »

Yep. I said the extras look good. When Bey is talking about HK films I always find him very interesting to listen to. It doesn't mean I want to wait years for a DD BD though.
User avatar
Clueless_Monkey
Jade Tiger
Posts: 109
Joined: 10 Apr 2008, 21:34
Contact:

Post by Clueless_Monkey »

bradavon wrote:Thanks and welcome to the forum.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Here's a neat page showing all the existing HK HD Discs (although "Dragon Tiger Gate" is missing):

http://www.asiandvdguide.com/bluray.html
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I hope it's ok to throw in my site as well ;)
http://www.asianblurayguide.com
User avatar
Godzooki
King of Beggars
Posts: 594
Joined: 22 Aug 2006, 16:39

Post by Godzooki »

Clueless_Monkey wrote:
bradavon wrote:Thanks and welcome to the forum.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Here's a neat page showing all the existing HK HD Discs (although "Dragon Tiger Gate" is missing):

http://www.asiandvdguide.com/bluray.html
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I hope it's ok to throw in my site as well ;)
http://www.asianblurayguide.com
Your site keep crashing my web browser!! Anyone else having problems?

Although from what i could see your site looks fantastic and could potentially be the internets no1 asian blu-ray site!! Never knew aout half of the upcoming releases on your site! :)



Welcome to the forums!!
NO WEASEL, NO CRY
User avatar
Clueless_Monkey
Jade Tiger
Posts: 109
Joined: 10 Apr 2008, 21:34
Contact:

Post by Clueless_Monkey »

Tigercage wrote: Your site keep crashing my web browser!! Anyone else having problems?
mmh, what browser are you using? Is there some kind of error message before the crash? :scratch:
User avatar
Godzooki
King of Beggars
Posts: 594
Joined: 22 Aug 2006, 16:39

Post by Godzooki »

Clueless_Monkey wrote:
Tigercage wrote: Your site keep crashing my web browser!! Anyone else having problems?
mmh, what browser are you using? Is there some kind of error message before the crash? :scratch:
IE.

Found a workaround so its cool, if i load up the page as long as i wait for it to fully load up before scrolling anywhere, then it holds. :)

Assembly, Tale of Two Sisters, Im a cyborg, never knew they were coming to Blu-ray!! :D
NO WEASEL, NO CRY
romerojpg
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 8520
Joined: 26 Oct 2004, 14:12
Location: CLOSE TO YOUR MAMMA

Post by romerojpg »

Well thats why IE is shit.
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 24430
Joined: 27 Oct 2004, 20:30

Post by bradavon »

Tigercage wrote:Assembly, Tale of Two Sisters, Im a cyborg, never knew they were coming to Blu-ray!! :D
FYI:

https://www.bulletsnbabesdvd.com/forums/ ... php?t=4396
Clueless_Monkey wrote:I hope it's ok to throw in my site as well ;)
Of course. I cannot see Tom (Mod) minding.
Clueless_Monkey wrote:mmh, what browser are you using? Is there some kind of error message before the crash? :scratch:
It's working fine for me under FF2 and IE7, even if I scroll while it's loading. I'll PM Tom asking he add your site and The Asian DVD Guide one to the first post.
Last edited by bradavon on 13 Apr 2008, 16:51, edited 3 times in total.
tom2681
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 5577
Joined: 25 Oct 2004, 16:18
Location: Where you'll never find me

Post by tom2681 »

Already done. :wink:
I used to be "the man who loves the movies you hate".
Now I'm just "that weird french guy with a cat avatar who comes to BnB once a year for no reason and then disappears again".
romerojpg
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 8520
Joined: 26 Oct 2004, 14:12
Location: CLOSE TO YOUR MAMMA

Post by romerojpg »

Not many good Asian films on HD thats for sure :(

Avalon I can hope for a stunning transfer! would buy that instantly on Blu Ray thats for sure. English subs too top stufff.
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 24430
Joined: 27 Oct 2004, 20:30

Post by bradavon »

Your site is excellent Clueless_Monkey. You've put so much detail into it. I love all the mouseover options.

I had no idea there were so many BD releases of Asian films. What about including HD-DVDs too? I don't think there are that many. The first post of this thread may help.

If we do buy any of these discs after finding info at Clueless_Monkey's site it would be the right thing to do to do so through the affiliate links on his website.

p.s - Is Assembly any good? All I can find are one bad review at Empire and one good at FilmFour.com. I'm inclined to go with FilmFour.com

I cannot find it listed on any of the usual DVD News sites.
User avatar
Clueless_Monkey
Jade Tiger
Posts: 109
Joined: 10 Apr 2008, 21:34
Contact:

Post by Clueless_Monkey »

Thanks for all the praise and kind words, guys, I really appreciate it. It's good to know that I can help people spend all their hard earned cash on imported Blu-ray Discs! :D

I won't add HD DVDs to the guide, since the format is pretty much dead and I guess the few Asian films that were released for it will be OOP in a few months. Even I as a vivid HD DVD fan haven't bought a single red disc since the Warner announcement.
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 24430
Joined: 27 Oct 2004, 20:30

Post by bradavon »

Fair enough on your reasoning behind not including HD-DVD.

I'm not aware of any new ones, meaning they're all listed in the first post of this thread (I think).
tom2681
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 5577
Joined: 25 Oct 2004, 16:18
Location: Where you'll never find me

Post by tom2681 »

Looks like I was wrong when I said that we weren't going to get many korean films on Blu.

Vampire Cop Ricky is coming to Blu-Ray in France, courtesy of Sony:
http://www.asia-diffusion.com/new/dvd.php?id_dvd=3982

Don't know the specs yet.
But it's nice to see some unpopular asian films released in HD.
I used to be "the man who loves the movies you hate".
Now I'm just "that weird french guy with a cat avatar who comes to BnB once a year for no reason and then disappears again".
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 24430
Joined: 27 Oct 2004, 20:30

Post by bradavon »

Thanks.

Why would there be no Korean films on BD?
tom2681
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 5577
Joined: 25 Oct 2004, 16:18
Location: Where you'll never find me

Post by tom2681 »

Unlike their Hong-Kong and Japanese counterparts, korean distributors haven't released anything in HD yet.
No doubt that the financial crisis which has hit the local film industry has something to do with it.

Therefore, we can only rely on foreign distributors at the moment.
I'm just glad they're willing to release a movie which wasn't as successful as OldBoy or The Host.
I used to be "the man who loves the movies you hate".
Now I'm just "that weird french guy with a cat avatar who comes to BnB once a year for no reason and then disappears again".
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 24430
Joined: 27 Oct 2004, 20:30

Post by bradavon »

Understood, thanks.
tom2681 wrote:I'm just glad they're willing to release a movie which wasn't as successful as OldBoy or The Host.
Me too. I don't think it's for me but otherwise agreed.
EvaUnit02
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 9150
Joined: 08 Feb 2005, 14:39
Location: Wellywood, Kiwiland
Contact:

Post by EvaUnit02 »

Such a release wasn't even worth any thought on your part. The lack of English subs and all.
EvaUnit02
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 9150
Joined: 08 Feb 2005, 14:39
Location: Wellywood, Kiwiland
Contact:

Post by EvaUnit02 »

Assembly coming out from Metronome on BD (in the UK). I'd never heard of it prior.
User avatar
Godzooki
King of Beggars
Posts: 594
Joined: 22 Aug 2006, 16:39

Post by Godzooki »

bradavon wrote:
p.s - Is Assembly any good? All I can find are one bad review at Empire and one good at FilmFour.com. I'm inclined to go with FilmFour.com

I cannot find it listed on any of the usual DVD News sites.
I watched this early this morning and thought it was alright, i wont be buying the bd.
NO WEASEL, NO CRY
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 24430
Joined: 27 Oct 2004, 20:30

Post by bradavon »

Thanks Tiger.

I'd never heard of it before it was mentioned in this thread too.
Last edited by bradavon on 16 Apr 2008, 16:48, edited 1 time in total.
romerojpg
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 8520
Joined: 26 Oct 2004, 14:12
Location: CLOSE TO YOUR MAMMA

Post by romerojpg »

Yeah becuase Tigercages taste in films is so much like yours :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 24430
Joined: 27 Oct 2004, 20:30

Post by bradavon »

It's called common courtesy :roll:

I'm not sure what Tiger's tastes in films really are, to be able to accurately answer that question.
Post Reply