The Official "Dragon Dynasty" Thread!

China, Hong Kong, Japan, Korea, Thailand, etc
Killer Meteor
Hail the Judge!
Posts: 2380
Joined: 16 Mar 2005, 23:05

Post by Killer Meteor »

bradavon wrote:
but I guess you're more intelligence than me.
Yi-Long
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 8616
Joined: 26 Oct 2004, 12:46
Location: Alkmaar, Holland

Post by Yi-Long »

I couldnt care less if Dragon Dynasty went belly-up, selling all their titles.
Image
I was there, the big BNB blackout of november, 2008. We lost many that day...
User avatar
grim_tales
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 22165
Joined: 25 Oct 2004, 17:34
Location: St. Albans, UK

Post by grim_tales »

Why not Yi?
Killer Meteor
Hail the Judge!
Posts: 2380
Joined: 16 Mar 2005, 23:05

Post by Killer Meteor »

Cause they do a poor job
bradavon wrote:
but I guess you're more intelligence than me.
Yi-Long
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 8616
Joined: 26 Oct 2004, 12:46
Location: Alkmaar, Holland

Post by Yi-Long »

grim_tales wrote:Why not Yi?
Cause Harvey Weinstein is an evil bad man, Grim. An evil mean who doesnt give a SHIT about movies, just about money.
Image
I was there, the big BNB blackout of november, 2008. We lost many that day...
User avatar
grim_tales
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 22165
Joined: 25 Oct 2004, 17:34
Location: St. Albans, UK

Post by grim_tales »

I may get the DD Fist of Legend but I'm not sure :( Annoyed they botched up the Come Drink With Me subs and I'm tempted to rebuy the R3 :(
Killer Meteor
Hail the Judge!
Posts: 2380
Joined: 16 Mar 2005, 23:05

Post by Killer Meteor »

The R3 Come Drink With Me had those damn strobing subs, and the picture is much worse on it

FOL - there's a German dvd with English subs and Cantonese audio coming soon. wait and see
bradavon wrote:
but I guess you're more intelligence than me.
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 24430
Joined: 27 Oct 2004, 19:30

Post by bradavon »

Yi-Long wrote:I couldnt care less if Dragon Dynasty went belly-up, selling all their titles.
Have you ever bought a DD release?
Ivan Drago wrote:Cause they do a poor job
Not that old Chicken again. They may as well be called HKL Mark 2. Yawn!

I still say, HKL and DD aren't perfect but compared to Tai Seng, Universe, MegaStar they're much better. Have those three ever treated any 1990s and older HK film with any respect?
Yi-Long wrote:Cause Harvey Weinstein is an evil bad man, Grim. An evil mean who doesnt give a SHIT about movies, just about money.
Kill him, Kill him, Kill him. He's a business man, shock horror.
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 24430
Joined: 27 Oct 2004, 19:30

Post by bradavon »

Ivan Drago wrote:seems all is not well - http://varietyasiaonline.com/kaijushake ... PDATE-7415
PS3 fantastic. Finally I can own an official decent version.

Thanks for the link. It's more about TWC than DD though, which granted TWC own but it doesn't say DD are in trouble or even mention them at all (except for the PS3 news).

As to PS3 being released as Supercop, that was a given and I couldn't really care less what they call it. I'm just pleased I can finally own a legit decent version.

I thought Bey brought SPL and TYG to market?
Yi-Long
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 8616
Joined: 26 Oct 2004, 12:46
Location: Alkmaar, Holland

Post by Yi-Long »

bradavon wrote:
Yi-Long wrote:I couldnt care less if Dragon Dynasty went belly-up, selling all their titles.
Have you ever bought a DD release?
Nope, which is why I couldnt care less.
Yi-Long wrote:Cause Harvey Weinstein is an evil bad man, Grim. An evil mean who doesnt give a SHIT about movies, just about money.
Kill him, Kill him, Kill him. He's a business man, shock horror.
So? You have businessmen and you have businessmen. Some are in it for the quick buck, and others know what the customers want and give it to them.

Harvey is a wanna-be movie editor. Hence his nickname Scissorhands.
Image
I was there, the big BNB blackout of november, 2008. We lost many that day...
chenlung
King of Beggars
Posts: 901
Joined: 27 Feb 2005, 22:45
Location: Scotland

Post by chenlung »

bradavon wrote:I still say, HKL and DD aren't perfect but compared to Tai Seng, Universe, MegaStar they're much better. Have those three ever treated any 1990s and older HK film with any respect?
When Tai Seng have their own releases, the subtitles are always usually the one better factor - something DD don't have.
Finally I can own an official decent version.
Well, it depends on how it goes. I wouldn't jump to the conclusion it'll be decent. It could end up the IVL being better.
Scott
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 24430
Joined: 27 Oct 2004, 19:30

Post by bradavon »

Yi-Long wrote:Nope, which is why I couldnt care less.
Shouldn't you at least see one before judging the company? Some are very good. Their Dog Bite Dog release for example is great, that's the only one I have.
Yi-Long wrote:So? You have businessmen and you have businessmen. Some are in it for the quick buck, and others know what the customers want and give it to them.
I suggest then, you never watch a Hollywood movie again and send your PC back because that has Micro$oft Windows on it.

I'd argue that to a degree Harvey has given the customer want they want. They may not be perfect but like I said the customer wanted HK movies released in a fashion better than most companies can manage and that's what we got.

Also like it or lump it but there is a "level" most customers are simply happy with, that level will granted always be too low for purists but most people I'd wager are more than happy with the recent DD Tai Chi Master and Fist of Legend releases, what came before wasn't any better (except for maybe the French releases but those for most people get disqualified for lack of English subtitles().

Name me a company releasing HK movies that gets 100% perfect reviews from everyone? I bet you cannot.
chenlung wrote:When Tai Seng have their own releases, the subtitles are always usually the one better factor - something DD don't have.
Maybe but usually they just re-release other companies work and subtitles are only one aspect anyway.
Well, it depends on how it goes. I wouldn't jump to the conclusion it'll be decent. It could end up the IVL being better.
For me that's not possible. I still cannot own IVL's PS3 without buying the other two movies I don't want.

It's a given for me the DD will be the best, given that I've had to make do with a DVD9 rip of the IVL DVD for years now. Besides decent is subjective, my remit of decent is far different from most on this forum (read picky).
chenlung
King of Beggars
Posts: 901
Joined: 27 Feb 2005, 22:45
Location: Scotland

Post by chenlung »

Shouldn't you at least see one before judging the company?
Competent feedback is enough to know.
I'd argue that to a degree Harvey has given the customer want they want.
He didn't in the past, nor has he much now.
They may not be perfect but like I said the customer wanted HK movies released in a fashion better than most companies can manage and that's what we got.
We got one or two things, but there's:

1) Horrible artwork.
2) Rubbish subtitles.
3) Tampered transfers.
4) Some non-progressive extras.
5) Downmixes.
Besides decent is subjective, my remit of decent is far different from most on this forum (read picky).
You have to understand that it's not even from a purist's point of view, it's actually having something done to a state that it can be understood:

'Come Drink With Me's subtitles were a mess in grammar. That's not a purist thing, that's making sure everything makes sense. Subtitles aren't a great factor at DD. Having to pray for subtitles that make sense, or at best translate correctly is ridiculous (especially from a mainstream company).

'5 Fingers Of Death' trailer played in a 'twice forwards, then once backwards' fashion on my set (non-watchable), whilst the PC played it better (but still interlaced, in which it should be progressive).

'Tai Chi Master's 5.1 was a mess and everything sounded bad - the "mono" is a downmix, rendering an alternative option to such disasters: useless.
Maybe but usually they just re-release other companies work and subtitles are only one aspect anyway.
I'd agree about the one aspect thing. DD only have one or two points, but not all as everyone makes out.
For me that's not possible. I still cannot own IVL's PS3 without buying the other two movies I don't want.
DD's could end up being the cut Dimension version, dubtitled, an inferior image or no original mono.
Name me a company releasing HK movies that gets 100% perfect reviews from everyone? I bet you cannot.
It's hard to find a 100% accurate review, because there's too many ass-kissers that cannot review properly.
Scott
Killer Meteor
Hail the Judge!
Posts: 2380
Joined: 16 Mar 2005, 23:05

Post by Killer Meteor »

I'm not fussed about extras not being progressive, but if you can't give the film a reasonable transfer - which Tai Chi Master definelty is not - you're not doing your job
bradavon wrote:
but I guess you're more intelligence than me.
chenlung
King of Beggars
Posts: 901
Joined: 27 Feb 2005, 22:45
Location: Scotland

Post by chenlung »

Ivan Drago wrote:I'm not fussed about extras not being progressive, but if you can't give the film a reasonable transfer - which Tai Chi Master definelty is not - you're not doing your job
I'm surprised when people say they're not bothered about progressive extras. It's just as valid as the film, even though it is not part of it.
Scott
Killer Meteor
Hail the Judge!
Posts: 2380
Joined: 16 Mar 2005, 23:05

Post by Killer Meteor »

Yes but I don't think we should seem so anal, or no-one will listen to us. Lets concentrate on the film, cause all the progressive extras in the world mean nothing if the film is screwed up
bradavon wrote:
but I guess you're more intelligence than me.
chenlung
King of Beggars
Posts: 901
Joined: 27 Feb 2005, 22:45
Location: Scotland

Post by chenlung »

Ivan Drago wrote:Yes but I don't think we should seem so anal, or no-one will listen to us. Lets concentrate on the film, cause all the progressive extras in the world mean nothing if the film is screwed up
It's a shame the mentality of a competent viewer has to level with idiots making these DVDs. HKL got the flagging right most of the time, and DD do so with the film (with exception to the latest titles when the blurring occurs), but sadly not all film-based extras.

It's like having anamorphic video without the flag - just because it's an extra, it shouldn't matter as long as it's there somehow.
Scott
User avatar
HungFist
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 11932
Joined: 14 Dec 2005, 15:50
Location: Japan

Post by HungFist »

chenlung wrote:
Ivan Drago wrote:I'm not fussed about extras not being progressive, but if you can't give the film a reasonable transfer - which Tai Chi Master definelty is not - you're not doing your job
I'm surprised when people say they're not bothered about progressive extras. It's just as valid as the film, even though it is not part of it.
You know, they're called "extras" :wink:

I rarely have time and interest to watch extras. And I have to say I never found an interview to be a less breathtaking experience because of interlaced presentation.
Killer Meteor
Hail the Judge!
Posts: 2380
Joined: 16 Mar 2005, 23:05

Post by Killer Meteor »

I think the extras I prefer are those from the time of the film's release - trailers, promos etc
bradavon wrote:
but I guess you're more intelligence than me.
chenlung
King of Beggars
Posts: 901
Joined: 27 Feb 2005, 22:45
Location: Scotland

Post by chenlung »

HungFist wrote:You know, they're called "extras" :wink:

I rarely have time and interest to watch extras. And I have to say I never found an interview to be a less breathtaking experience because of interlaced presentation.
Being extras doesn't say "abandon flagging". Extras is a word that draws a line to something not attached to the main feature - it doesn't reduce it's significance, as much as it is "extra".

Although no offense, you're not really into extras, so I suppose your comment doesn't carry much :wink: .
Scott
Killer Meteor
Hail the Judge!
Posts: 2380
Joined: 16 Mar 2005, 23:05

Post by Killer Meteor »

I just wish the extras was all I had to worry about
bradavon wrote:
but I guess you're more intelligence than me.
User avatar
HungFist
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 11932
Joined: 14 Dec 2005, 15:50
Location: Japan

Post by HungFist »

chenlung wrote:
HungFist wrote:You know, they're called "extras" :wink:

I rarely have time and interest to watch extras. And I have to say I never found an interview to be a less breathtaking experience because of interlaced presentation.
Being extras doesn't say "abandon flagging". Extras is a word that draws a line to something not attached to the main feature - it doesn't reduce it's significance, as much as it is "extra".
According to marketing law (Finnish at least) extra is something that can not be the main reason affecting on the purchase decision.

Although the word "extra" is a bit misused with dvds. Obviously with some Special Editions we're no longer talking about additional benefits, but a new core product that includes both the film and supplementaries.
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 24430
Joined: 27 Oct 2004, 19:30

Post by bradavon »

I'm with Hung. I barely ever watch extras nowadays, plus frankly they're extras so sorry, they cannot and never will be considered as important as the film. It's precisely why I really have no issue with SD extras on HD Discs.

The only DVD where the extras are more important than the feature is Game of Death: HKL PE, otherwise most I could happily do without. All those mega long Peter Jackson type Making Of's bore the pants of me. I do like a decent documentary though, such as The History Channel one on the Black Hawk Down DVD. Not that again I ever have time to watch them.
DD's could end up being the cut Dimension version, dubtitled, an inferior image or no original mono.
Regarding PS3, that would be a shame. I'd probably still buy it, having to make do with a DVD9 Rip sucks. The dye on most Recordable DVDs well dies over a period of time too, making it risky if they'll even last.
User avatar
grim_tales
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 22165
Joined: 25 Oct 2004, 17:34
Location: St. Albans, UK

Post by grim_tales »

Thanks Ivan for the FOL info, interesting.
What do you mean strobing subs? Some lines repeated a couple of times but they still superior to DD's subtitles, IMO. Agree though the picture is worse, which is why I'm keeping the DD whatever.
Yi-Long
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 8616
Joined: 26 Oct 2004, 12:46
Location: Alkmaar, Holland

Post by Yi-Long »

@ Brad: I'm not picky at all, but so far Dragon Dynasty havent really released anything that I'm interested in picking up, either because the movie doesnt appeal to me, or it's a cut/international version, or they fucked up the audio/video, or I already have a more than decent other version of it on DVD.

They just need to fuck off with the remixes, the dubtitles, etc. I can live with bad artwork and dumb 'american' titles, but I just want the movies uncut, with proper video and sound. I dont even care about the extras all that much, although for some movies it really adds something to the DVD.
Image
I was there, the big BNB blackout of november, 2008. We lost many that day...