The China Star catalogue is genuine HD so any of those titles would likely be a worthy upgrade.bradavon wrote:Except for The Big Boss and Fist of Fury (possibly), are any of the HK Blu-rays worthy upgrades?
Asian Movies in HD!
-
Markgway
- Bruce Lee's Fist
- Posts: 20194
- Joined: 18 Feb 2005, 02:04
Re: Asian Movies in HD!
-
gasteropod
- Bruce Lee's Fist
- Posts: 6868
- Joined: 03 Nov 2004, 18:16
Re: Asian Movies in HD!
Korean Blu-rays are so expensive, I find.grim_tales wrote:A Bittersweet Life (BD):
Maybe I should wait for a UK disc of this..?
http://www.asianblurayguide.com/detail/ ... ife_korea/
-
grim_tales
- Bruce Lee's Fist
- Posts: 22165
- Joined: 25 Oct 2004, 17:34
- Location: St. Albans, UK
Re: Asian Movies in HD!
I'll wait for a UK one then. 
I've only seen the TC of A Bittersweet Life.
I've only seen the TC of A Bittersweet Life.
-
bradavon
- Bruce Lee's Fist
- Posts: 24430
- Joined: 27 Oct 2004, 19:30
Re: Asian Movies in HD!
I don't even look at Korean Blu-rays. They're all far too expensive.grim_tales wrote:A Bittersweet Life (BD): Maybe I should wait for a UK disc of this..?
Thanks. I'd completely forgot about that site.gasteropod wrote:http://www.asianblurayguide.com/
Can you give me a few examples please?Markgway wrote:The China Star catalogue is genuine HD so any of those titles would likely be a worthy upgrade.
p.s - How does Police Story 3 fair? Is it DNRed to hell like Parts 1 and 2? Given how unpopular it is, I can find very little on it.
-
bradavon
- Bruce Lee's Fist
- Posts: 24430
- Joined: 27 Oct 2004, 19:30
Re: Asian Movies in HD!
This is worth a look at:
http://forum.blu-ray.com/asia/176086-hk ... ost4900777
It's good to see My Father is a Hero is a decent disc, as is City on Fire. Both are £13 delivered to The UK from DDDHouse, not a bad price for HK BDs.
http://forum.blu-ray.com/asia/176086-hk ... ost4900777
It's good to see My Father is a Hero is a decent disc, as is City on Fire. Both are £13 delivered to The UK from DDDHouse, not a bad price for HK BDs.
-
Markgway
- Bruce Lee's Fist
- Posts: 20194
- Joined: 18 Feb 2005, 02:04
Re: Asian Movies in HD!
MFISAH is China Star so should be alright.bradavon wrote:It's good to see My Father is a Hero is a decent disc, as is City on Fire.
COF isn't, so purchase with caution. There's still some argument over some of these titles. Take that list with a pinch of salt... Why COF would be proper HD when none of the other previously remastered (by Fortune Star) titles are is unclear.
Also the non-CS titles all have shitty 7.1 remixes.
-
bradavon
- Bruce Lee's Fist
- Posts: 24430
- Joined: 27 Oct 2004, 19:30
Re: Asian Movies in HD!
Which other ones are? Googling China Star comes up with everything except blu-rays. Both City on Fire and My Father is a Hero are listed as Kam & Ronson here:Markgway wrote:MFISAH is China Star so should be alright.
http://www.asianblurayguide.com/studio/ ... %3B+Ronson
There seems to me more praise than not for it. Are you sure there? I mean, plenty of people seem to get "rough/grain heavy" blu-ray mixed up with upscale. Admittedly given the price, neither are acceptable but at least the former is more so.Markgway wrote:COF isn't, so purchase with caution. There's still some argument over some of these titles. Take that list with a pinch of salt... Why COF would be proper HD when none of the other previously remastered (by Fortune Star) titles are is unclear.
e.g. I'm sure I read Fist of Fury was an upscale whereas Salty has it and says it's definitely HD, rough HD.
HKL style remix or in-your-face style remix?Markgway wrote:Also the non-CS titles all have shitty 7.1 remixes.
The former I find acceptable, the later not. Thanks
-
Markgway
- Bruce Lee's Fist
- Posts: 20194
- Joined: 18 Feb 2005, 02:04
Re: Asian Movies in HD!
I can't find a complete list for you... but if you post which titles you're interested in I'll try to ID them for you.bradavon wrote:Which other ones are? Googling China Star comes up with everything except blu-rays. Both City on Fire and My Father is a Hero are listed as Kam & Ronson here:
I'm not saying COF definitely isn't HD, I haven't seen it myself, just that it seems odd that the majority aren't, so why would COF alone be? But if the review says it's proper HD, then maybe that's the truth. All I'm saying is that evidence reveals that most aren't... so be careful with that distributor.There seems to me more praise than not for it. Are you sure there? I mean, plenty of people seem to get "rough/grain heavy" blu-ray mixed up with upscale. Admittedly given the price, neither are acceptable but at least the former is more so.
The Bruce Lee titles are genuine HD (of varying quality). You can see the HD detail in the caps. Upscales don't reveal any additional detail.I'm sure I read Fist of Fury was an upscale whereas Salty has it and says it's definitely HD, rough HD.
Shitty, in-your-face type. HKL remixes are much easier on the ears than these hack jobs.The former I find acceptable, the later not. Thanks
-
bradavon
- Bruce Lee's Fist
- Posts: 24430
- Joined: 27 Oct 2004, 19:30
Re: Asian Movies in HD!
Thanks. Are the Bruce Lee titles China Star? It seems you could count in 1-2 hands the Hong Kong BDs worth getting, this is especially annoying as they're pricey.Markgway wrote:I can't find a complete list for you... but if you post which titles you're interested in I'll try to ID them for you.
I cannot find reviews for COF or MFIAH just forum chatter saying they're good or at least not upscales.Markgway wrote:I'm not saying COF definitely isn't HD, I haven't seen it myself, just that it seems odd that the majority aren't, so why would COF alone be? But if the review says it's proper HD, then maybe that's the truth.
Thanks. That is indeed concerning. Decent HD is pointless if the audio is so fucking in your face your ears bleed.Markgway wrote:Shitty, in-your-face type. HKL remixes are much easier on the ears than these hack jobs.
-
Markgway
- Bruce Lee's Fist
- Posts: 20194
- Joined: 18 Feb 2005, 02:04
Re: Asian Movies in HD!
No, but those are proper HD. Only The Big Boss looks great, the rest average.bradavon wrote:Thanks. Are the Bruce Lee titles China Star?
Black Mask is worth getting.It seems you could count in 1-2 hands the Hong Kong BDs worth getting, this is especially annoying as they're pricey.
Like I said they may well be real HD. Just seems odd that only certain FS titles are. I've heard good things too about Tiger on the Beat.I cannot find reviews for COF or MFIAH just forum chatter saying they're good or at least not upscales.
True. The best hope is that someone outside of Asia does these films justice.Thanks. That is indeed concerning. Decent HD is pointless if the audio is so fucking in your face your ears bleed.
-
HungFist
- Bruce Lee's Fist
- Posts: 11932
- Joined: 14 Dec 2005, 15:50
- Location: Japan
Re: Asian Movies in HD!
Here you you, A Better Tomorow Box Crapgrim_tales wrote:I hope there'll be A Better Tomorrow box set at some point.
http://www.dddhouse.com/v3/product_deta ... ctID=12211
-
grim_tales
- Bruce Lee's Fist
- Posts: 22165
- Joined: 25 Oct 2004, 17:34
- Location: St. Albans, UK
Re: Asian Movies in HD!
Why is it crap? I was thinking it may be worth upgrading the IVL DVD set.
-
HungFist
- Bruce Lee's Fist
- Posts: 11932
- Joined: 14 Dec 2005, 15:50
- Location: Japan
Re: Asian Movies in HD!
Why wouldn't it be?grim_tales wrote:Why is it crap?
-
grim_tales
- Bruce Lee's Fist
- Posts: 22165
- Joined: 25 Oct 2004, 17:34
- Location: St. Albans, UK
Re: Asian Movies in HD!
How do you know if you havent seen it?
-
HungFist
- Bruce Lee's Fist
- Posts: 11932
- Joined: 14 Dec 2005, 15:50
- Location: Japan
Re: Asian Movies in HD!
I don't, and I won't, seeing it's remix only. Just a few posts above Mark described their remixes as total crap in case you didn't notice.
As for transfers we have the never ending argument whether most of them are upscales or genuine HD transfer that look like upscales
And my god, is that artwork horrible or what? Even my dog would lose his hope in humanity if he saw that cover...
As for transfers we have the never ending argument whether most of them are upscales or genuine HD transfer that look like upscales

And my god, is that artwork horrible or what? Even my dog would lose his hope in humanity if he saw that cover...
-
Markgway
- Bruce Lee's Fist
- Posts: 20194
- Joined: 18 Feb 2005, 02:04
-
grim_tales
- Bruce Lee's Fist
- Posts: 22165
- Joined: 25 Oct 2004, 17:34
- Location: St. Albans, UK
Re: Asian Movies in HD!
I agree that cover is bad, at least the IVL DVD art approached something cool.
Can't remember if the IVL had original soundtracks or not? I still remember the infamous Anchor Bay 5.1 DVD with the horribly altered music.
I hope they fix the subtitles too.
Maybe Cine Asia could pick these up, who has the UK rights?
Can't remember if the IVL had original soundtracks or not? I still remember the infamous Anchor Bay 5.1 DVD with the horribly altered music.
I hope they fix the subtitles too.
Maybe Cine Asia could pick these up, who has the UK rights?
-
Markgway
- Bruce Lee's Fist
- Posts: 20194
- Joined: 18 Feb 2005, 02:04
Re: Asian Movies in HD!
They did.grim_tales wrote:Can't remember if the IVL had original soundtracks or not?
TTBOMK....Maybe Cine Asia could pick these up, who has the UK rights?
Part 1 - Optimum
Part 2 - HKL (Cine Asia)
Part 3 - HKL (Cine Asia)
-
grim_tales
- Bruce Lee's Fist
- Posts: 22165
- Joined: 25 Oct 2004, 17:34
- Location: St. Albans, UK
Re: Asian Movies in HD!
Thanks Mark 
A UK box set looks out of the question then I would say.
Did HKL ever release A Better Tomorrow III? The version in the IVL set was a curio as it was a longer version (but not the Taiwanese version) and in Cantonese.
A UK box set looks out of the question then I would say.
Did HKL ever release A Better Tomorrow III? The version in the IVL set was a curio as it was a longer version (but not the Taiwanese version) and in Cantonese.
-
Markgway
- Bruce Lee's Fist
- Posts: 20194
- Joined: 18 Feb 2005, 02:04
Re: Asian Movies in HD!
I don't think so, though the extended version was passed by the BBFC for Medusa (HKL) in 2005.grim_tales wrote:Did HKL ever release A Better Tomorrow III?
Longest Cantonese version available it would seem.The version in the IVL set was a curio as it was a longer version (but not the Taiwanese version) and in Cantonese.
-
grim_tales
- Bruce Lee's Fist
- Posts: 22165
- Joined: 25 Oct 2004, 17:34
- Location: St. Albans, UK
Re: Asian Movies in HD!
Perhaps that was some kind of DC 
-
Markgway
- Bruce Lee's Fist
- Posts: 20194
- Joined: 18 Feb 2005, 02:04
Re: Asian Movies in HD!
I've no idea really. Funnily enough I've seen the film 2 or 3 times and the version I enjoyed the most was the theatrical cut - but then that was also the first time I saw the film so that's a likely factor too. I'd need to rewatch the added scenes to see what difference they make - good or bad. Always a shame not to get the 'original' option. I mean, you get used to watching a film over many years, then some bright spark decides to make it obsolete, and force upon us a new version. Warners... Enter the Dragon... I'm looking at you!grim_tales wrote:Perhaps that was some kind of DC
-
grim_tales
- Bruce Lee's Fist
- Posts: 22165
- Joined: 25 Oct 2004, 17:34
- Location: St. Albans, UK
Re: Asian Movies in HD!
The first version of ABT III I saw was the MIHK VHS (theatrical version I guess) with Anita Mui's song over the credits.
As for the TC of Enter The Dragon, I've never seen it (not sure)

As for the TC of Enter The Dragon, I've never seen it (not sure)
-
Markgway
- Bruce Lee's Fist
- Posts: 20194
- Joined: 18 Feb 2005, 02:04
Re: Asian Movies in HD!
Every version I've seen has that terrific Anita Mui theme song.grim_tales wrote:The first version of ABT III I saw was the MIHK VHS (theatrical version I guess) with Anita Mui's song over the credits.
If you saw the film before 1998 you have.As for the TC of Enter The Dragon, I've never seen it (not sure)![]()
-
bradavon
- Bruce Lee's Fist
- Posts: 24430
- Joined: 27 Oct 2004, 19:30
Re: Asian Movies in HD!
Were ABT2 and ABT3 ever released though? If not, don't expect Cine-asia to release them. Remember all Cine-asia is doing is re-releasing discs HKL have already made.Markgway wrote:Part 1 - Optimum
Part 2 - HKL (Cine Asia)
Part 3 - HKL (Cine Asia)
Is Black Mask any good? It looks rather silly, hence I've never bothered with it.
