What Have You Just Seen... Marks Out of 5
- BiscLimpkit
- Bruce Lee's Fist
- Posts: 4727
- Joined: 25 Oct 2004, 22:33
- Location: Scotland
- BiscLimpkit
- Bruce Lee's Fist
- Posts: 4727
- Joined: 25 Oct 2004, 22:33
- Location: Scotland
Raging Bull 4.5/5
It's funny when watching classics, you recognise tunes and quotes that have been spoofed in other films and TV shows. My favourite Scorcese film (I've only seen Gangs of New York). Fantastic character study of a highly tempermental individual. Lovely visual techniques and love that orchestral score.
It's funny when watching classics, you recognise tunes and quotes that have been spoofed in other films and TV shows. My favourite Scorcese film (I've only seen Gangs of New York). Fantastic character study of a highly tempermental individual. Lovely visual techniques and love that orchestral score.

- thelostdragon
- Bruce Lee's Fist
- Posts: 7059
- Joined: 29 Oct 2004, 23:36
- Location: Basin City
- Contact:
You also recognise that when reading classic books. It's funny how many quotes or ideas have been taken from so many books, which works quite well, as the average movie goer doesn't read a lot.BiscLimpkit wrote:It's funny when watching classics, you recognise tunes and quotes that have been spoofed in other films and TV shows.
- grim_tales
- Bruce Lee's Fist
- Posts: 22163
- Joined: 25 Oct 2004, 18:34
- Location: St. Albans, UK
- grim_tales
- Bruce Lee's Fist
- Posts: 22163
- Joined: 25 Oct 2004, 18:34
- Location: St. Albans, UK
Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind - 3.5/5
To be fair this was an early animé from Miyazaki but I found later works like Princess Mononoke to be much more acomplished.
Its' about a kind young girl named Nausicaa who lives in a world inhabited by prehistoric creatures known as ohmus. Humans try to harness the ohmus power but this annoys and upsets them and threatens to destroy the world. To me it seemed like an early run of Castle In the Sky or Mononoke
Several of Miyazaki's animés seem to be saying "Nature = Good. Man meddling with nature = bad" and he takes that idea and sticks to it.
I did like the story though and did feel something for the characters
To be fair this was an early animé from Miyazaki but I found later works like Princess Mononoke to be much more acomplished.
I did like the story though and did feel something for the characters
- grim_tales
- Bruce Lee's Fist
- Posts: 22163
- Joined: 25 Oct 2004, 18:34
- Location: St. Albans, UK
24: S3 - Final 2 episodes - 5/5
WOW!
Truly gripping TV, I'd never seen the finale before. Was really on the edge of my seat with events surrounding Palmers ex-wife and Julia, and then Saunders.
I think overall I'd give the whole season 4/5. It does get a bit unbelievable at times but its' really gripping, tense, moving IMO (running out of superlatives)
WOW!
I think overall I'd give the whole season 4/5. It does get a bit unbelievable at times but its' really gripping, tense, moving IMO (running out of superlatives)
- BiscLimpkit
- Bruce Lee's Fist
- Posts: 4727
- Joined: 25 Oct 2004, 22:33
- Location: Scotland
Gozu 4.5/5
Miike is a sick pervert. Seriously insane. He deserves to be locked up ffs.
Gozu is an unbelivable experience but is really slow, perhaps the slowest paced Miike film I've seen yet. But it is filled with random bursts of hilarity. If you can tolerate the 2 hours, in which nothing happens, you're in for a treat as it has one of the greatest, most vile, disgusting endings I've ever seen. I feel like I need a shower, just to clense my mind of this filth.
I personally found it more difficult to watch than any other Miike title and struggle to understand the messages involved. I have my theories but I felt Izo and Visitor Q were a hell of a lot clearer... not to mention more pleasant.
Miike you're one sick bastard!! We need more filmmakers like you.
Miike is a sick pervert. Seriously insane. He deserves to be locked up ffs.
Gozu is an unbelivable experience but is really slow, perhaps the slowest paced Miike film I've seen yet. But it is filled with random bursts of hilarity. If you can tolerate the 2 hours, in which nothing happens, you're in for a treat as it has one of the greatest, most vile, disgusting endings I've ever seen. I feel like I need a shower, just to clense my mind of this filth.
I personally found it more difficult to watch than any other Miike title and struggle to understand the messages involved. I have my theories but I felt Izo and Visitor Q were a hell of a lot clearer... not to mention more pleasant.
Miike you're one sick bastard!! We need more filmmakers like you.

- thelostdragon
- Bruce Lee's Fist
- Posts: 7059
- Joined: 29 Oct 2004, 23:36
- Location: Basin City
- Contact:
In this World - 5/5
You MUST watch this film. It is a BBC produced film about two Afghan refugees who escape by the end of 2001, heading to England. The whole film feels like a documentary and when I watched the making of, it was said that it was based on a real story and that they had to forget about the script once they started shooting. There were only like 3 crew members with the two guys and they tried to get along themselves as the crew wouldn't interfere at all... at least so it seemed.
Jamal (about 14 yrs.) and Enayatallah (about 22 yrs.) start their journey in Afghanistan and travel through Pakistan, Iran, Turkey and then by ship, smuggling themselves to Italy. But something goes wrong on the ship.
Man, this was so touching and it has been quite a while since I last sobbed while watching a film, since it was made in documentary style, but also with awesome music and all. Try to get the DVD. Didn't know it won three prices at the Berlinale.
You MUST watch this film. It is a BBC produced film about two Afghan refugees who escape by the end of 2001, heading to England. The whole film feels like a documentary and when I watched the making of, it was said that it was based on a real story and that they had to forget about the script once they started shooting. There were only like 3 crew members with the two guys and they tried to get along themselves as the crew wouldn't interfere at all... at least so it seemed.
Jamal (about 14 yrs.) and Enayatallah (about 22 yrs.) start their journey in Afghanistan and travel through Pakistan, Iran, Turkey and then by ship, smuggling themselves to Italy. But something goes wrong on the ship.
Man, this was so touching and it has been quite a while since I last sobbed while watching a film, since it was made in documentary style, but also with awesome music and all. Try to get the DVD. Didn't know it won three prices at the Berlinale.
- BiscLimpkit
- Bruce Lee's Fist
- Posts: 4727
- Joined: 25 Oct 2004, 22:33
- Location: Scotland
- thelostdragon
- Bruce Lee's Fist
- Posts: 7059
- Joined: 29 Oct 2004, 23:36
- Location: Basin City
- Contact:
- grim_tales
- Bruce Lee's Fist
- Posts: 22163
- Joined: 25 Oct 2004, 18:34
- Location: St. Albans, UK
- BiscLimpkit
- Bruce Lee's Fist
- Posts: 4727
- Joined: 25 Oct 2004, 22:33
- Location: Scotland
- brooce-leroy
- Royal Tramp
- Posts: 1279
- Joined: 28 Dec 2004, 14:52
- grim_tales
- Bruce Lee's Fist
- Posts: 22163
- Joined: 25 Oct 2004, 18:34
- Location: St. Albans, UK
- brooce-leroy
- Royal Tramp
- Posts: 1279
- Joined: 28 Dec 2004, 14:52
- grim_tales
- Bruce Lee's Fist
- Posts: 22163
- Joined: 25 Oct 2004, 18:34
- Location: St. Albans, UK
- thelostdragon
- Bruce Lee's Fist
- Posts: 7059
- Joined: 29 Oct 2004, 23:36
- Location: Basin City
- Contact:
It wasn't Jackie's idea originally. Benny Chan had the original concept in mind and told Jackie about it. Jackie told Sammo about it who made "Once upon a Tinme in China & America" out of it. Jackie had a lil' fight with Sammo, who apologised later and Jackie went to make "Who Am I?". Benny Chan wasn't satisfied with it as it was still too far from the dark thriller he had in mind. So he went to Teddy Chen who made "Purple Storm". Reportedly, Benny Chan is happy with it.grim_tales wrote:Hey LD,
Didn't Sammo also take Jackie's idea for Shanghai Noon as well?(Sorry for backtracking waaaay too much there).
-
tom2681
- Bruce Lee's Fist
- Posts: 5577
- Joined: 25 Oct 2004, 16:18
- Location: Where you'll never find me
Princess Blade (Shurayuki Hime): 2,5 / 5
Boring... A stupid story about a clan of assassins and a princess with a hidden past (nothing we haven't seen before). Lifeless cinematography, average music and bad acting.
This movie wouldn't be worth anything without the fights choregraphed by Donnie Yen.
Resurrection of the Little MatchGirl: 5 / 5
NEVER have I seen anything like this movie. It's the movie that I've always wanted to see.
A movie in which video games take over real life (kinda like Matrix, only without the silly philosophical bullshit).
Little MatchGirl is about a gamer who has absolutely no life and experiences a Wizard-of-Oz-type of trip.
He creates a game in his mind, in which he finds all his friends playing different parts, and in which he's the hero.
Extraordinary stuff, really. I'd recommend to anybody who's interested in video games (especially First Person Shooters).
Monrak Transistor (Thailand): 4,5 /5
After watching Tom Yum Goong, Born to Fight and Ong Bak I had almost no hopes left for Thai cinema.
Still, Monrak Transistor was a very nice surprise. Solid acting, solid plot and nice songs make for a very entertaining movie.
Boring... A stupid story about a clan of assassins and a princess with a hidden past (nothing we haven't seen before). Lifeless cinematography, average music and bad acting.
This movie wouldn't be worth anything without the fights choregraphed by Donnie Yen.
Resurrection of the Little MatchGirl: 5 / 5
NEVER have I seen anything like this movie. It's the movie that I've always wanted to see.
A movie in which video games take over real life (kinda like Matrix, only without the silly philosophical bullshit).
Little MatchGirl is about a gamer who has absolutely no life and experiences a Wizard-of-Oz-type of trip.
He creates a game in his mind, in which he finds all his friends playing different parts, and in which he's the hero.
Extraordinary stuff, really. I'd recommend to anybody who's interested in video games (especially First Person Shooters).
Monrak Transistor (Thailand): 4,5 /5
After watching Tom Yum Goong, Born to Fight and Ong Bak I had almost no hopes left for Thai cinema.
Still, Monrak Transistor was a very nice surprise. Solid acting, solid plot and nice songs make for a very entertaining movie.
I used to be "the man who loves the movies you hate".
Now I'm just "that weird french guy with a cat avatar who comes to BnB once a year for no reason and then disappears again".
Now I'm just "that weird french guy with a cat avatar who comes to BnB once a year for no reason and then disappears again".
- grim_tales
- Bruce Lee's Fist
- Posts: 22163
- Joined: 25 Oct 2004, 18:34
- Location: St. Albans, UK
@LD,
Cheers
I thought OUATICAA was a combination of ideas of "Shanghai Noon" (Chinese guy in cowboy setting) and "Who Am I" (amnesia).
I thought Purple Storm worked really well BTW, as you say it was like a more serious version of Who Am I.
@Tom,
Match Girl sounds really good - is there a decent DVD?
Cheers
I thought Purple Storm worked really well BTW, as you say it was like a more serious version of Who Am I.
@Tom,
Match Girl sounds really good - is there a decent DVD?
- grim_tales
- Bruce Lee's Fist
- Posts: 22163
- Joined: 25 Oct 2004, 18:34
- Location: St. Albans, UK
-
gasteropod
- Bruce Lee's Fist
- Posts: 6868
- Joined: 03 Nov 2004, 18:16
Because C4 split the final episode into two, whereas the R1 has it as a double-episode, I believe.grim_tales wrote:Lost S1 - Episode 2 (Pilot: Part 2) - 5/5
Fantastic 8) Will try and see Episode 3 later. Gripping stuff.
Why does the R1 have 24 episodes but when it was shown on TV here, there were 25 episodes?
-
tom2681
- Bruce Lee's Fist
- Posts: 5577
- Joined: 25 Oct 2004, 16:18
- Location: Where you'll never find me
The Korean DVD is the best but it doesn't have any subs.Grim wrote:Match Girl sounds really good - is there a decent DVD?
There's a scandinavian DVD with removable english subs and average non-anamorphic picture.
I can't comment on the quality of that DVD (mine's the french edition).
If you get the chance, I think it's really worth checking out.
EDIT:
Here's a nice (although web-unfriendly review):
http://membres.lycos.fr/gorezone/dvdcry ... hgirl.html
This one's good too:
http://www.subwaycinema.com/frames/arch ... chgirl.htm
Last edited by tom2681 on 14 Feb 2006, 16:51, edited 1 time in total.
I used to be "the man who loves the movies you hate".
Now I'm just "that weird french guy with a cat avatar who comes to BnB once a year for no reason and then disappears again".
Now I'm just "that weird french guy with a cat avatar who comes to BnB once a year for no reason and then disappears again".
- thelostdragon
- Bruce Lee's Fist
- Posts: 7059
- Joined: 29 Oct 2004, 23:36
- Location: Basin City
- Contact:
Oh, forgot to say that Jackie told Sammo about Benny Chan's idea AND "Shanghai Noon".
@Tom
"RotlMG" had only One good scene in my opinion, which is right in the beginning when HE as a delivery boy imagines how he shoots down the whole office.
As for "Monrak Transistor"... agreed. Really good film. My rate would be 4/5.
@Tom
"RotlMG" had only One good scene in my opinion, which is right in the beginning when HE as a delivery boy imagines how he shoots down the whole office.
As for "Monrak Transistor"... agreed. Really good film. My rate would be 4/5.
Last edited by thelostdragon on 14 Feb 2006, 16:53, edited 1 time in total.
- grim_tales
- Bruce Lee's Fist
- Posts: 22163
- Joined: 25 Oct 2004, 18:34
- Location: St. Albans, UK
- grim_tales
- Bruce Lee's Fist
- Posts: 22163
- Joined: 25 Oct 2004, 18:34
- Location: St. Albans, UK
