Mad Max - new r4 SE: Nov. '07

Non-Asian Film & Release Discussion, and Serious Film-Related Discussion
grim_tales
Bruce Lee's Fist

Mad Max - new r4 SE: Nov. '07

Post by grim_tales »

The only 'feature' listed is a booklet. What did the old SE have?

http://www.ezydvd.com.au/item.zml/796228
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by bradavon »

Cheers Grim. I've yet to own this.

There is no old R4 SE. It has Full-rate DTS but only trailers as extras. The DTS is supposed to be a corker.

The R1 SE is ancient and while it has DD5.1 it's supposed to be pants against the DTS. I would guess more so for the different remastering than actually DTS. That has a commentary and lots of other extras. It's old though.

I cannot believe they've mentioned the booklet on the cover :D

p.s - Rewind comparison, the R1 SE extras look pretty limited:

http://www.dvdcompare.net/comparisons/film.php?fid=1368

I cannot believe all the Warner versions have the proper Australian English dialogue and a Yank dub :D , as if the Australian soundtrack is so hard to understand.
EvaUnit02
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by EvaUnit02 »

The original R4 is totally irrevelant since it lacks the original mono. Added foley effect gutter mixes are crimes against cinema anyway.
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by bradavon »

I didn't know the R4 5.1 mix had new foley, does the R1 SE 5.1?
grim_tales
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by grim_tales »

Hey I did find some of the dialogue, mostly the expressions, on the Australian track hard to understand ;)
IronMonkey
Royal Tramp

Post by IronMonkey »

bradavon wrote:I didn't know the R4 5.1 mix had new foley, does the R1 SE 5.1?
Now why doesn't that surprise me? ;)

LOL!
TH-42PX80 | DMP-BD50 (MR BD & DVD) | SA-XR55 | SB-TP20 | XBox 360 Slim 250GB | XBox (XBMC, 160GB) | Zotac XBMC HTPC | Gaming PC | 8TB Media Server
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by bradavon »

Why would I know? Like I already said I don't own it.
grim_tales wrote:Hey I did find some of the dialogue, mostly the expressions, on the Australian track hard to understand ;)
Enough to prefer it in American slang instead?
grim_tales
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by grim_tales »

No no, but I did put the subtitles on ;)
dvdvision
Pedicab Driver

Post by dvdvision »

Could someone post compare between the japanese or R2 versions and the R1 remaster ? I believe the R1 was cleaned up, but too bright, not looking like the movie, wherea other releases are dirty, but true to the movie contrast and colors.
EvaUnit02
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by EvaUnit02 »

I only have the R1 SE, sorry.
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by bradavon »

What's the 5.1 like?

Weirdly Warner have released an HD-DVD and Blu-ray of Mad Max 2 with exclusive Commentary but there is no HD Disc of Parts 1 or 3.
EvaUnit02
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by EvaUnit02 »

bradavon wrote:but there is no HD Disc of Parts 1 or 3.
How is this weird? MGM holds the rights to the first one in Nth America and Beyond Thunderdome is simply a pile of shit.
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by bradavon »

They don't elsewhere though. Warner do.
EvaUnit02
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by EvaUnit02 »

bradavon wrote:They don't elsewhere though. Warner do.
Not in R4 land, Roadshow hold the rights. They do have close ties to Warner though.
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by bradavon »

I know :?
EvaUnit02
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by EvaUnit02 »

Anyway, there ain't likely to be any HD releases of the first film from Warner. Warner UK/Europe is pretty slack, never producing their own projects, they just portover whatever the US offices produce.
bradavon wrote:I know :?
If you knew, then why did you make the previous inaccurate statement?
bradavon wrote:They don't elsewhere though. Warner do.
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by bradavon »

It's not inaccurate Warner do own international rights to Max Max, it was you who decided to presume I meant worldwide. Nothing is stopping Warner from releasing Mad Max 2 on HD as they have already and Mad Max on HD also in just the territories they have the rights to.
Warner UK/Europe is pretty slack, never producing their own projects, they just portover whatever the US offices produce.
Not always. They released their own "Don't Look Now" DVD.
EvaUnit02
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by EvaUnit02 »

bradavon wrote:Nothing is stopping Warner from releasing Mad Max 2 on HD as they have already and Mad Max on HD also in just the territories they have the rights to.
You missed my point. The Euro/UK divisions have proved themselves to be nothing but lazy in the past, have they undertaken to remaster anything or produce a Special Edition or their own volition? AFAIK no. They've just published other people's work.

It's unlikely that they'd issues Mad Max onto HD formats; and if they did it'd probably utilise the same shithouse master that was used for the R2 DVD from many moon ago.
Not always. They released their own "Don't Look Now" DVD.
Which used the Studio Canal master. That's still being lazy.
dvdvision
Pedicab Driver

Post by dvdvision »

The euro division did release Mad Max 1 in 16/9 format, a different master than the US R1 redone version. It may be not as clean, but it looks like the film does.
EvaUnit02
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by EvaUnit02 »

Still a HD release taken from the same source as the Warner R2 would look like arse if it isn't remastered, even the original DVD was taken from a HD master. HD would just show up all the faults of the original master, we'll likely have an arse looking transfer like the barebones Full Metal Jacket HD releases, Spartacus, Field of Dreams, etc.
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by bradavon »

As it's unlikely an HD Disc is coming any time soon I think I'll just pick up the R4.

All reviews say the 5.1 remix is awesome, the DTS is full-rate too. I rarely notice new foley being added and it's not like I'll have the Mono to compare against. I'm more bothered by over the top 5.1 remixes, such as Taxi Driver a little and definitely Withnail and I.

I've not seen the film for eons anyway so doubt I'll be able to spot anything out of place. I will wait to see what happens with this new R4 SE though, just in case it trumps the old R4.

The price on all e-tailors for the New R4 SE is considerably less than the old R4. For that alone it's worth waiting.

Reading reviews the R1 SE's DD5.1 is much more restrained, which maybe a good thing but having not heard the R4's offering I'll give it a go. The extras look pants.

I can then pick up Mad Max 2 on HD later on. I don't think I've even seen it. I've only seen bits of Max Mad 3, which I can barely remember. I'd wait for a decent re-release of that one, it has nothing redeeming about it.

I remember Mad Max being a classic though.
EvaUnit02
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by EvaUnit02 »

The Road Warrior is nothing short of a classic. It has some of the best car chases ever caught on celluloid IMO.
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by bradavon »

The Road Warrior is it's American title right? With Mad Max 2: The Road Warrior being it's proper title. You'd think they'd now rename it back to it's proper title.
Last edited by bradavon on 08 Oct 2007, 16:12, edited 1 time in total.
dvdvision
Pedicab Driver

Post by dvdvision »

Regarding remastering the first, it's not a case where you can transfert direct in HD with minor tweaking of the colors, lights and contrast, you would have to work hard to make it look good.

That's where the US DVD fails : it may be clean, but it use too much light and soft contrast, all the defiencies of the original shoots comes through. That's the reason I prefer the R2 version, or the japanese 4/3 edition.

Road Warrior is a masterpiece, it's only fault is that all those good guys in white are so ridiculous, you just root for them getting killed by the bad guys. I'm not speaking of the Gyrocaptain humor, which have dated now badly, but the rest is astonishing.
Markgway
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by Markgway »

bradavon wrote:The Road Warrior is it's American title right? With Mad Max 2: The Road Warrior being it's proper title. You'd think they'd now rename it back to it's proper title.
Actually, the original title is simply MAD MAX 2

The Road Warrior was purely an American invention, because Mad Max bombed there.