Bruce Lee's Fist

The General HD Releases Thread!

Post by EvaUnit02 »

Lists of Region Free Blurays:-
http://bluray.liesinc.net/
http://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread.php?p=94264

First 2-discer HD release:-
http://www.dvdactive.com/news/releases/ ... enter.html
and it's of hackneyed shit no less. I'd imagine it's only a 2-discer becuz the extras are prolly all in HD, what a waste of time; like putting content on 2 DVD-5's and calling it a 2-disc SE when it could easily fit on a single DVD-9.

Unless otherwise noted, all extras are confirmed to be on the DVD side. Only actual narrative films are on these lists, there've been a number docos released on combos.

List of HD-DVD combos:-
Children of Men - Deleted scenes, featurettes
Brokeback Mountain - Only a single featurette DVD side, rest of extras on HD side.
Good Night, and Good Luck
Kiss Kiss Bang Bang - North American release is on HD-15, international releases are on HD-30 but not a combo.
Lady in the Water
Land of the Dead DC
An American Werewolf in London
Fearless: US Cut + Western Cut (Not HK Cut or Director's Cut)
The Breakfast Club
Danny the Dog/Unleashed: US Cut
Fast Times at Ridgemont High
Slither
Animal House
16 Blocks
Superman Returns - No extras on DVD Side
Miami Vice - DC on HD Side and TC on DVD Side
The Departed - - - No extras on DVD Side, except Trailer
Army of Darkness - DVD side features reportedly new anamorphic transfer of the TC, which is superior to all past transfers available on R1 releases of the film. There are several DVD releases which are loaded with extras, don't bother with this HD-DVD.
Field of Dreams -HD transfer is reportedly terrible. DVD side is probably a clone of disc one of the R1 AE, so prolly not all the extras are on the DVD side.
Goodfellas - No extras on DVD Side. North American release is on HD-15, international releases are on HD-30 but not a combo.
Hollywoodland - unknown
Half Baked - unknown
Happy Feet
The Jerk
The Nutty Professor (Eddie Murphy) - unknown - new
The Good Shepard - unknown - new
The Ant Bully
The Scorpion King
You, Me and Dupree
Rumor Has It
How The Grinch Stole Christmas
Accepted
ATL
The Break-Up
The Lake House
Waist Deep - unknown.
Firewall

The following French Studio Canal non-English language HD-DVDs have English subtitles:-
Brotherhood of the Wolf - Christophe Gans. Optimum may release this at some point.
The Army of Shadows - Jean-Pierre Melville's superb thriller chronicling the French resistance during the Nazi occupation. Rights are held by BFI in the UK, so I'm doubtful that this will be released in the UK.
La Haine - released by Optimum in the UK.
(source)

A list of HD-DVD titles not available/announced for the US. Well worth a look, some real surprising ones there - eg Spain getting a HD-DVD of Sony's Underworld Evolution.
A similar/alternative list to above.
Last edited by EvaUnit02 on 17 Sep 2007, 11:52, edited 16 times in total.
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by bradavon »

I suspect so too. SD Extras on HD Discs take naff all space. Usually where the BD gets HD Extras the HD-DVD does not.

Exactly I don't give a shit at all. More likely they know 2 disc sets sell more!
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by bradavon »

Finally a HD-DVD Combo with ALL the extras on the DVD side: http://www.dvdtimes.co.uk/content.php?contentid=63044

That I want.

I'll finally be able to get a HD-DVD Combo and know I won't have to buy it again (unless HD-DVD dies of course). I'll probably end up hating it and have trouble getting rid :D

M Night's not failed me yet.
EvaUnit02
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by EvaUnit02 »

bradavon wrote:Finally a HD-DVD Combo with ALL the extras on the DVD side:
Nah, you're forgetting Kiss Kiss Bang Bang, all the extras were on the DVD side and the HD-DVD side was barebones.
M Night's not failed me yet.
All Shymalan's movies up to Signs (that's all I've seen up to) have been garbage, so I'll pass on Lady in the Water. Kermode absolutely trashed that film in his podcast.
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by bradavon »

EvaUnit02 wrote:Nah, you're forgetting Kiss Kiss Bang Bang, all the extras were on the DVD side and the HD-DVD side was barebones.
Nah I didn't forget I didn't know (and before you bring up a link where I may have commented on it I comment on hundreds of DVDs it doesn't mean I remember everyone).

This isn't the first btw just the first I want.
All Shymalan's movies up to Signs (that's all I've seen up to) have been garbage, so I'll pass on Lady in the Water. Kermode absolutely trashed that film in his podcast.
My bad Signs is lousy.
EvaUnit02
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by EvaUnit02 »

bradavon wrote:(and before you bring up a link where I may have commented on it I comment on hundreds of DVDs it doesn't mean I remember everyone).
Haha, the thought hadn't even crossed my mind.
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by bradavon »

Good :D
EvaUnit02
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by EvaUnit02 »

Fucking hell.

The US version of Kiss Kiss Bang Bang is a HD/DVD combo disc. The shafting of non-North American markets has begun once again.
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by bradavon »

I hear the non-US is a HD-30/9 as opposed to a HD-15/9 so on paper at least the non-US should look better but yes otherwise agreed.
EvaUnit02
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by EvaUnit02 »

bradavon wrote:I hear the non-US is a HD-30/9 as opposed to a HD-15/9 so on paper at least the non-US should look better but yes otherwise agreed.
Transfers on a single-layer HD-DVD still look marvellous from what I've heard. I'd still pick up the US combo disc, if I see it for cheap. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang is really entertaining, but utterly vapid.
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by bradavon »

People said the same when DVDs first came out often on DVD-5s, a lot of them don't hold up well today.
EvaUnit02
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by EvaUnit02 »

Trudat.
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by bradavon »

* Buy 3 HD-DVDs at Amazon.com and get 10% Off: https://www.bulletsnbabesdvd.com/forums/ ... php?t=2782
* For info on all the HD-DVD Combos look here: http://www.dvdpacific.com/search.asp?title=hd+dvd+combo

I didn't know there was so many (22 in fact).

If you live in the UK and want to order 2 HD-DVDs the best place I've found are:

www.dvdworldusa.com
www.movietyme.com

I don't know where else they ship to (that is DVD World USA) but as they're Customs friendly it's safe to go over £18. I've been looking at prices for HD-DVDs and they are the same everywhere give or take a few pennies, a pound at most.
Last edited by bradavon on 10 Nov 2006, 19:01, edited 2 times in total.
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by bradavon »

I'm interested in:

Lady in the Water
An American Werewolf in London

Both have all the extras on the DVD side too, crucial for me.

Trouble is average HD-DVD price is £12-13 but Combo price is £16-18 :shock: , great way to get people to dip early into HD.

That said the cheap as chips DVD then HD-DVD later will work out much more. I hope HD-DVD doesn't die and I never get to see the HD side!

I'll get "An American Werewolf in London" HD-DVD Combo but I think I'll download "Lady in the Water" first. I've heard "very" mixed reports. I've not seen "An American Werewolf in London" yet but have heard nothing but great reports.
EvaUnit02
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by EvaUnit02 »

Other good combos:-
Kiss Kiss Bang Bang - extras on both sides
Land of the Dead DC - DC on both sides and all extras on DVD side (basically the Unrated DC R1 DVD).
Fearless - unrated cut and all extras on both sides

Thanks BTW, I didn't know about the "American Werewolf in London" release. The special effects are awesome BTW, especially the transformation sequence.

I'll be getting LOTD, American Werewolf sometime then.

Brad, you seen Fearless? Any good? It's gotten very mixed reports. I'm not too confident about a blind-buy, especially with Ronny Yu as the director. He's like a Chinese Renny Harlin - a complete hack whose made very few films even resembling good.

I don't recommend blind-buying Kiss Kiss Bang Bang unless it's cheap/really cheap. Definitely view it before deciding whether to buy it for the price that they're asking for the combo.
Lourdes
Royal Tramp

Post by Lourdes »

Anyone seen any reviews of the HD DVD version of Old Boy the Japanese got?

Those bastards are also getting Blood: The Last Vampire and GiTS Innocence. Both are going to look incredible.
EvaUnit02
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by EvaUnit02 »

Another good combo:-
The Breakfast Club

The Breakfast Club (HD15/DVD9 Combo)

HD DVD Side:

* 1080P 1.85:1 Widescreen
* Dolby Digital-Plus: English 5.1, French 2.0, Spanish 2.0
* English SDH and Spanish subtitles

DVD Side:

* 1.85:1 Anamorphic Widescreen
* English DD5.1 & DTS 5.1 Surround
* English SDH and Spanish subtitles
* Theatrical Trailer
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by bradavon »

That is good but isn't the DVD a "really" cheap bargain DVD, that said buying Combo if possible (i.e - all extras on DVD side) makes lots of sense to me.

Eva: Have you picked up a Combo yet?
EvaUnit02 wrote:Brad, you seen Fearless? Any good?
Not yet sorry. I'm a sucker for Jet Li Wuxia(esque) so will probably love it.

I would hold off buying any Fearless DVD with a likely uncut version coming. We also don't know for sure it's got normal English subs.
EvaUnit02 wrote:I don't recommend blind-buying Kiss Kiss Bang Bang unless it's cheap/really cheap. Definitely view it before deciding whether to buy it for the price that they're asking for the combo.
:shock:

p.s - I ordered "An American Werewolf in London" Combo last night. I decided to blind buy on that one as I've heard nothing but great reports. Lady in the Water is too risky.

Price everywhere seems roughly the same. I went with MovieTyme as I've used them before and they ship in Sterling (or USD). I hear DVDWorldUSA.com are also good.
saltysam
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by saltysam »

i've ordered American Werewolf & Superman Returns combo discs :P
working class blu-ray fan
EvaUnit02
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by EvaUnit02 »

bradavon wrote:Eva: Have you picked up a Combo yet?
Not yet, but I'll order from Amazon or even dvdpacific when I do. Depending on who is cheaper.
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by bradavon »

From checking there is litterely cents/pennines in it. I checked:

Amazon.com
DVDPacific.com
DeepDiscountDVD.com
MovieTyme.com
Loaded247.com
DVDWorldUSA.com
CDUniverse.com - Generally not very cheap anyway

I only went with MovieTyme as they charge in Sterling.
saltysam wrote:i've ordered American Werewolf & Superman Returns combo discs :P
Something tells me this is going to be expensive for you ;)

p.s - Any reason you've picked two combos?
EvaUnit02
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by EvaUnit02 »

bradavon wrote:From checking there is litterely cents/pennines in it.
No, you have to take shipping costs into consideration too.
saltysam
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by saltysam »

just heard my HD-DVD player has been delayed until end of december at least :oops: so i'll have around 7 discs and with the exception of the 2 combos nothing to play them on for now :cry:
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by bradavon »

7 that must've cost you loads.

Where are you buying them from?
EvaUnit02 wrote:No, you have to take shipping costs into consideration too.
I "always" do and my point (to the UK anyway) still stands. There's nothing in it.

I may not always included the voucher into the price I quote but postage always.
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by bradavon »