Blog, Flickr, My Space, Delicious: Am I the one confused???
-
bradavon
- Bruce Lee's Fist
- Posts: 24430
- Joined: 27 Oct 2004, 20:30
Blog, Flickr, My Space, Delicious: Am I the one confused???
I understand what they're used for but all to me seem like a cheap man's website.
I have my own website and to me it makes much more sense to upload my Blog and Photos to it in a proper Web Design fashion instead of all these oodles of sites that do just a bit of the pie.
My Space is an utter mess as far as I can tell, most pages are so cluttered with graphics and stuff, it's clear no thought has gone into how the page actually looks.
Blogs by their very nature are surely sites like DVD Times (articles are posted, comments added) under another guise? Why would you want to talk about the mundane aspects of your life and put them on the web???
Okay Delicious (yes I refuse to call it by it's proper name) is different and I like the concept but the home page looks like a 5 year old wrote it. Again I'd prefer just to upload an HTML to my own site, it's not as if I'm going to be using my Bookmarks very often on more than 2 computers anyway.
What's all the fuss about???
I have my own website and to me it makes much more sense to upload my Blog and Photos to it in a proper Web Design fashion instead of all these oodles of sites that do just a bit of the pie.
My Space is an utter mess as far as I can tell, most pages are so cluttered with graphics and stuff, it's clear no thought has gone into how the page actually looks.
Blogs by their very nature are surely sites like DVD Times (articles are posted, comments added) under another guise? Why would you want to talk about the mundane aspects of your life and put them on the web???
Okay Delicious (yes I refuse to call it by it's proper name) is different and I like the concept but the home page looks like a 5 year old wrote it. Again I'd prefer just to upload an HTML to my own site, it's not as if I'm going to be using my Bookmarks very often on more than 2 computers anyway.
What's all the fuss about???
-
romerojpg
- Bruce Lee's Fist
- Posts: 8520
- Joined: 26 Oct 2004, 14:12
- Location: CLOSE TO YOUR MAMMA
Flickr is the place for me to find amazing photos and show some of my own to people I know. Its free and easy to use and really more people will see my pics on there than my own site, ever. I think of it as an online portfolio, my space and the other things to me are pretty pointless, but hey others do like them I guess.
Flickr is massive, the amount of trafic that go thru it is emense, and more than anything else its fun and good for finding pics of things you are interested in, more so than even a google search.
More importantly you get help and tips and even can make cash.
Flickr is massive, the amount of trafic that go thru it is emense, and more than anything else its fun and good for finding pics of things you are interested in, more so than even a google search.
More importantly you get help and tips and even can make cash.
-
bradavon
- Bruce Lee's Fist
- Posts: 24430
- Joined: 27 Oct 2004, 20:30
-
bradavon
- Bruce Lee's Fist
- Posts: 24430
- Joined: 27 Oct 2004, 20:30
One area where I could see all these being useful is if you're on the move.
It's very difficult to update my website unless I'm at home; I need an FTP program for starters. Instead of all it being done online with just a Web Browser.
At the moment I tend to mass e-mail everyone and when I get home put it online for people later to read. It would be nice to put it straight on the web.
It's tricky to upload photos unless you're at home anyway, most web café's aren't to keen with you plugging your digital camera in.
It's very difficult to update my website unless I'm at home; I need an FTP program for starters. Instead of all it being done online with just a Web Browser.
At the moment I tend to mass e-mail everyone and when I get home put it online for people later to read. It would be nice to put it straight on the web.
It's tricky to upload photos unless you're at home anyway, most web café's aren't to keen with you plugging your digital camera in.
-
gasteropod
- Bruce Lee's Fist
- Posts: 6868
- Joined: 03 Nov 2004, 18:16
-
gasteropod
- Bruce Lee's Fist
- Posts: 6868
- Joined: 03 Nov 2004, 18:16
-
EvaUnit02
- Bruce Lee's Fist
- Posts: 9150
- Joined: 08 Feb 2005, 14:39
- Location: Wellywood, Kiwiland
- Contact:
Myspace is the shit hole of the internet, like what Geocities was in the late 1990's.
It does have it's uses though if you want to promote something. I'm sure that you've heard of all the Myspace/Livejournal musician success stories like The Arctic Monkeys, Panic at the Disco, etc who went on to get record deals thanks to their popularity with halfwitted teenagers and basement dwellers online.
I don't see the point of Delicious, like I'd want to publish my fucking bookmarks online for the whole world to see.
It does have it's uses though if you want to promote something. I'm sure that you've heard of all the Myspace/Livejournal musician success stories like The Arctic Monkeys, Panic at the Disco, etc who went on to get record deals thanks to their popularity with halfwitted teenagers and basement dwellers online.
I don't see the point of Delicious, like I'd want to publish my fucking bookmarks online for the whole world to see.
-
romerojpg
- Bruce Lee's Fist
- Posts: 8520
- Joined: 26 Oct 2004, 14:12
- Location: CLOSE TO YOUR MAMMA
Flickr has helped me a lot, I have learned from tips how to use my lens and camera, and tips in how to shoot things is also welcome from people on there who want to comment
hey I love looking at others pictures, as some people on there are amazing and create stunning images. I like people looking at my pics, as hell I am the only one who would see them otherwise, it inspires me to take more and try to get better too. If I took thousands of pictures and kept them to myself, well that would be a bit odd to me in some way. Anyone can now see my pics on Fluickr and I dont mind them looking at all, even iof they are strangers, as theres some very nice people on the massive site from all over the world.
You can see high res photos on Flicr at any time, just click ALL SIZES above the picure and you can see some massive images
I keep mine at about 1000 pixels on the longerst side, some poeple dop 100000 on the longest side, as they are insane 
hey I love looking at others pictures, as some people on there are amazing and create stunning images. I like people looking at my pics, as hell I am the only one who would see them otherwise, it inspires me to take more and try to get better too. If I took thousands of pictures and kept them to myself, well that would be a bit odd to me in some way. Anyone can now see my pics on Fluickr and I dont mind them looking at all, even iof they are strangers, as theres some very nice people on the massive site from all over the world.
You can see high res photos on Flicr at any time, just click ALL SIZES above the picure and you can see some massive images
-
bradavon
- Bruce Lee's Fist
- Posts: 24430
- Joined: 27 Oct 2004, 20:30
-
romerojpg
- Bruce Lee's Fist
- Posts: 8520
- Joined: 26 Oct 2004, 14:12
- Location: CLOSE TO YOUR MAMMA
I am still building up a little catalogue of nice images
then I am going to show friends and family them as I am sure they dont know exactly what I take pictures of, they have seen some, but not many. When I think I have a lot of good shots then I will stick em on a cd and show people if they want to see.
I do lots of parties and things like that and always share them pics as they are of them people
and I feel if I take someones image I deserve to show them and copy them a cd.
Even done some crime scene photos the other day, as my soon to be brother in law was kicked to shit along with my little sister! by a bunch of 10 chavs!!! so I had to take photos as the police dont have photographers over the weekend!!
I do lots of parties and things like that and always share them pics as they are of them people
Even done some crime scene photos the other day, as my soon to be brother in law was kicked to shit along with my little sister! by a bunch of 10 chavs!!! so I had to take photos as the police dont have photographers over the weekend!!
-
bradavon
- Bruce Lee's Fist
- Posts: 24430
- Joined: 27 Oct 2004, 20:30
-
romerojpg
- Bruce Lee's Fist
- Posts: 8520
- Joined: 26 Oct 2004, 14:12
- Location: CLOSE TO YOUR MAMMA
Nahh just take my camera along to a party or somewhere I am going and snap away
depending on the occasion and how well I know the people, as hell the cameras to big for just taking out on the town, but it does look profesioanl so I would be able to get intresting images as strangers will think I am with the press, as most people do when you have massive cameras.
Hey I also love real photos in my hands, I am waiting till I have a few hundred good pictures then I am paying a bit to get them done at large scale, say 10 by 12 inches or so, as I want to have them printed as they do look nice. I hate printing them at home, even if I have a good printer they look poor compared to a real quality printing service like Photobox online
I have had some had printed small 6x4.5 but thats way to small to see anything so I want big, even got some 20x30 inchers done and they look interesting thats for sure.
Hey I also love real photos in my hands, I am waiting till I have a few hundred good pictures then I am paying a bit to get them done at large scale, say 10 by 12 inches or so, as I want to have them printed as they do look nice. I hate printing them at home, even if I have a good printer they look poor compared to a real quality printing service like Photobox online
I have had some had printed small 6x4.5 but thats way to small to see anything so I want big, even got some 20x30 inchers done and they look interesting thats for sure.
-
bradavon
- Bruce Lee's Fist
- Posts: 24430
- Joined: 27 Oct 2004, 20:30
-
EvaUnit02
- Bruce Lee's Fist
- Posts: 9150
- Joined: 08 Feb 2005, 14:39
- Location: Wellywood, Kiwiland
- Contact:
-
gasteropod
- Bruce Lee's Fist
- Posts: 6868
- Joined: 03 Nov 2004, 18:16
-
bradavon
- Bruce Lee's Fist
- Posts: 24430
- Joined: 27 Oct 2004, 20:30