A Better Tomorrow - Ultimate Edition

China, Hong Kong, Japan, Korea, Thailand, etc
User avatar
grim_tales
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 22163
Joined: 25 Oct 2004, 18:34
Location: St. Albans, UK

Post by grim_tales »

Is it?
But they're not the original credits. I know they're just credits, the English ones look bad.
"Starring Chow Yuen Fat"
Killer Meteor
Hail the Judge!
Posts: 2380
Joined: 16 Mar 2005, 23:05

Post by Killer Meteor »

It's not stupid if all your interested in is AV and you already have say the Fortune Star. If its the only print left or something than that's fine but I expect the credits to be presented in the original language. Suppose a Chinese person living in the Uk wants the film. They want to know the film is called Ying Hung Boon Sik, not just A Better Tomorrow. For the same reason, I want any subtitles to be optional and the sound format the original
bradavon wrote:
but I guess you're more intelligence than me.
User avatar
thelostdragon
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 7059
Joined: 29 Oct 2004, 23:36
Location: Basin City
Contact:

Post by thelostdragon »

Let me put it like this... I'd prefer the opening credits to be in their original language. I couldn't care less though about the end credits. I'd even prefer them to be in a language I can read, so I can tell who has worked on the film and who was credited. For that it has to be provided that the original credits were ALL translated.

If everything is fine with the ABT DVD in terms of AV, I will get it though no matter what title cards they are using, even if it was the one written in blood from the R1.
Image
EvaUnit02
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 9150
Joined: 08 Feb 2005, 14:39
Location: Wellywood, Kiwiland
Contact:

Post by EvaUnit02 »

Woooooo, opening credit cards - serious fucking business there. They could be smeared in shit for all I cared.
Killer Meteor
Hail the Judge!
Posts: 2380
Joined: 16 Mar 2005, 23:05

Post by Killer Meteor »

Suit yourself
bradavon wrote:
but I guess you're more intelligence than me.
User avatar
grim_tales
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 22163
Joined: 25 Oct 2004, 18:34
Location: St. Albans, UK

Post by grim_tales »

Thats funny Eva :D However aren't credits part of the film too? :D
EvaUnit02
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 9150
Joined: 08 Feb 2005, 14:39
Location: Wellywood, Kiwiland
Contact:

Post by EvaUnit02 »

I've only ever seen the IVL remaster and that has all the opening title cards with both Chinese characters and English. Chow Yuen-Fat and all.
User avatar
grim_tales
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 22163
Joined: 25 Oct 2004, 18:34
Location: St. Albans, UK

Post by grim_tales »

Thats' fine then. However its' said the AV of this UE is on a par with the AB release, but it (AB) used the international print. :?
EvaUnit02
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 9150
Joined: 08 Feb 2005, 14:39
Location: Wellywood, Kiwiland
Contact:

Post by EvaUnit02 »

grim_tales wrote:Thats' fine then. However its' said the AV of this UE is on a par with the AB release, but it (AB) used the international print. :?
Cry me a river, the movie is not cut in any way so it matters zilch.
User avatar
grim_tales
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 22163
Joined: 25 Oct 2004, 18:34
Location: St. Albans, UK

Post by grim_tales »

No but its still altered. Would you still say the same if you heard the abomination which is the horrible altered score on the older AB DVDs which completely changes the film?
EvaUnit02
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 9150
Joined: 08 Feb 2005, 14:39
Location: Wellywood, Kiwiland
Contact:

Post by EvaUnit02 »

grim_tales wrote:No but its still altered. Would you still say the same if you heard the abomination which is the horrible altered score on the older AB DVDs which completely changes the film?
In that case, hell no. But this change is so bloody minor and doesn't affect the actual film in any way, thus I couldn't care less.
I'll wait to see a proper AV review too. If the AV is the same as the AB's I won't bother (I'd be paying a premium for a Bey Logan commentary, I already own the AB's and they're not as nice as the IVL's). You can get the AB Box set really cheap.
I'll buy this when it falls it price. Plus I'd like to get the HKL release of ABT2, if only for better subs and a progressive transfer.
saltysam
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 9357
Joined: 27 Oct 2004, 19:27

Post by saltysam »

is the korean le of the trilogy worth ebaying?thinking of getting shut and picking up this release & hkl abt2.
EvaUnit02
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 9150
Joined: 08 Feb 2005, 14:39
Location: Wellywood, Kiwiland
Contact:

Post by EvaUnit02 »

saltysam wrote:is the korean le of the trilogy worth ebaying?thinking of getting shut and picking up this release & hkl abt2.
If you do, be sure to pimp the lavish deluxe packaging and the fact that they're remastered and have 5.1 remixes.
User avatar
thelostdragon
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 7059
Joined: 29 Oct 2004, 23:36
Location: Basin City
Contact:

Post by thelostdragon »

EvaUnit02 wrote:But this change is so bloody minor and doesn't affect the actual film in any way, thus I couldn't care less.
The altered audio doesn't affect the film? No offense to the componist of the "Forrest Gump"-soundtrack, but when the exact same tune starts playing on a film like "A Better Tomorrow", it does have an effect in a huge way.
Image
EvaUnit02
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 9150
Joined: 08 Feb 2005, 14:39
Location: Wellywood, Kiwiland
Contact:

Post by EvaUnit02 »

thelostdragon wrote: The altered audio doesn't affect the film? No offense to the componist of the "Forrest Gump"-soundtrack, but when the exact same tune starts playing on a film like "A Better Tomorrow", it does have an effect in a huge way.
I was still talking about the opening credit cards, not the score. Read more carefully next time.
EvaUnit02 wrote:
grim_tales wrote:No but its still altered. Would you still say the same if you heard the abomination which is the horrible altered score on the older AB DVDs which completely changes the film?
In that case, hell no. (REFERING TO SCORE)
Eva02 wrote:But this change is so bloody minor and doesn't affect the actual film in any way, thus I couldn't care less. (REFERING TO OPENING CREDITS).
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 24430
Joined: 27 Oct 2004, 20:30

Post by bradavon »

saltysam wrote:is the korean le of the trilogy worth ebaying?thinking of getting shut and picking up this release & hkl abt2.
It's to early to say as:

A: This ABT: SE isn't out yet
B: We've no idea when HKL will get around to releasing ABT2
saltysam
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 9357
Joined: 27 Oct 2004, 19:27

Post by saltysam »

bradavon wrote:
saltysam wrote:is the korean le of the trilogy worth ebaying?thinking of getting shut and picking up this release & hkl abt2.
It's to early to say as:

A: This ABT: SE isn't out yet
B: We've no idea when HKL will get around to releasing ABT2
http://www.play.com/DVD/DVD/4-/924074/A ... oduct.html
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 24430
Joined: 27 Oct 2004, 20:30

Post by bradavon »

Cheers Salty. I didn't know that was coming. The Spectrum will be worth something for a while yet I wouldn't sell/trade just yet.

I'd wait until the spec. is released at least.
JinMode
Jackie Chan's Little Toe
Posts: 22
Joined: 23 May 2006, 21:23

Post by JinMode »

John Woo (most certainly), Ching Siu Tung (the movie's AC) and maybe Tsui Hark might show up in the extra department. just a wild guess.
Last edited by JinMode on 24 May 2006, 15:11, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
thelostdragon
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 7059
Joined: 29 Oct 2004, 23:36
Location: Basin City
Contact:

Post by thelostdragon »

EvaUnit02 wrote:I was still talking about the opening credit cards, not the score. Read more carefully next time.
Chill, man!
Image
slasher13
Royal Tramp
Posts: 1799
Joined: 03 Dec 2004, 09:15
Contact:

Post by slasher13 »

There a review of this dvd on 10,000 Bullets, here is the Review Link

For image it seems that IVL win out, as this one is cropped a bit.
Killer Meteor
Hail the Judge!
Posts: 2380
Joined: 16 Mar 2005, 23:05

Post by Killer Meteor »

The Optinum shows a bit more on the sides but is matted to 1.85:1 rather than 1.78:1 - unless the site has got the pics wrong way round! This is the site that insisted that Celestial's Shaolin set had mono sound - it didn't
bradavon wrote:
but I guess you're more intelligence than me.
slasher13
Royal Tramp
Posts: 1799
Joined: 03 Dec 2004, 09:15
Contact:

Post by slasher13 »

Ahh thanks for that Ivan, i was taking it on face value. :D
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 24430
Joined: 27 Oct 2004, 20:30

Post by bradavon »

Thanks Slasher. I'll have to wait until I get home as it's classified as adult material :( , stupid bloody web filter.

The IVL has that framing issue though. Are screen captures included? I want to know if it's better than the cheap as chips Anchor Bay at least.
JinMode
Jackie Chan's Little Toe
Posts: 22
Joined: 23 May 2006, 21:23

Post by JinMode »

Nice review!!! does Optimum use the same title card as the one in the Anchor Bay dvd? and does it have the same music?
Post Reply